Office apps won't work

Moderator: Forum moderators

scraginagpup

Office apps won't work

Post by scraginagpup »

I have an old AMD 1.8Ghz laptop with 4 Gig RAM Running Xenialpup 7.5...except for Abiword, I cannot get any Wordprocessor working in it...they all install just fine and show up on the menu but when I click on them, nothing happens (Have tried OpenOffice 4.1.2, LibreOffice 6.3, and 7.2...even TED a simple RTF editor), and no response.
any ideas from the experts?

Feek

Re: Office apps won't work

Post by Feek »

scraginagpup wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:18 pm

I cannot get any Wordprocessor working in it...they all install just fine and show up on the menu but when I click on them, nothing happens (Have tried OpenOffice 4.1.2, LibreOffice 6.3, and 7.2...even TED a simple RTF editor), and no response.
any ideas from the experts?

I'm not an expert, but I would try to run the given wordprocessor from the terminal after installation (i.e. write the name of the executable file in the command line in the terminal emulator and press the enter key).
The terminal will tell you what is missing in your system or what the problem is.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@scraginagpup , if you want you can try with this version,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AKCr7c ... p=drivesdk

It's virus free dont worry. I hope it works.

Have a nice day, my friend

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Running Xenialpup 7.5

That is a 32bit version.

Are you trying to run 64bit versions of the office programs?

Or are you using Xenialpup64 7.5?
The 64bit version of Xenialpup.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @bigpup :

I worked with a versión of XenialPup 7.5 and (excuseme if I'm wrong) I think this puppy distro (7.5) only has been designed x64, so there is no problem or possibility of error with this.-

You can install x32 or x64, the problem should not lay there :- :thumbup2:

Have a nice day you all, and please, let us know if you solved this problem (write solved at the title of this post).

--------------------- EDITED --------------------------

As I told here, "excuseme if I'm wrong", thanks you for being so considerated with my error.

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Tue May 02, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I worked with a versión of XenialPup 7.5 and (excuseme if I'm wrong) I think this puppy distro (7.5) only has been designed x64

No, in fact xenial 7.5 32-bit was basically the standard and mostly used by far. I have used the 32-bit for ages and have never used 64-bit. in fact, I was not even aware there was a 64-bit version.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

xenialpup 7.5 (32bit) and xenialpup64 7.5 (64bit)
viewtopic.php?t=177

Download location
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/

Directory32 has the 32bit version iso.
Directory 64 has the 64bit version iso.

puppylinux.com

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (59.89 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Forum Global Moderator

Fossil

Post by Fossil »

Using Xenial 7.5, 32-bit with a 4.9.56 kernel. Some while ago, I downloaded TED 2.23 as a .deb. Used Uextract to open the .deb in it's own folder - not 'installed'. Clicked on the executable, TED runs fine!

Attachments
TED word processor, 03-05-2023.jpg
TED word processor, 03-05-2023.jpg (149.04 KiB) Viewed 641 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Strange! Text-handling is one of the staple 'basics' of Linux, so if this functionality is non-existent, you're going to have problems.

I actually run 3 different Xenials:-

• 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5

• 64-bit Xenialpup64 7.5

• 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5 with peebee's 64-bit compatibility SFS permanently loaded - which works REALLY well. I have so much storage to play with that, rather than just run this as an SFS loaded into 32-bit Xenialpup as & when, I decided to set it up as its own individual distro.....and that way, I could set up all my dedicated launchers & shortcuts.

All three are stable & utterly rock-solid. All three run various items of office software w/out issues. Nearly everything I use these days comes from the 'portable' collection, which I try to improve - time permitting - as & whenever I get the opportunity.

@scraginagpup :-

Out of curiosity, does the built-in Leafpad work?

You could always try the portable version of the 'standalone' TextMaker word-processor module I 'extracted' & built from SoftMaker's FreeOffice suite. Thread here:- viewtopic.php?t=4232

(No guarantees, like, but it seems to run pretty much anywhere...)

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Fossil

Post by Fossil »

This is couched as a question: Is there a common denominator to the operation of word processor's (in general); a library that is required by all?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Fossil wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:16 pm

This is couched as a question: Is there a common denominator to the operation of word processor's (in general); a library that is required by all?

@Fossil :-

Mm. I've half-wondered that myself, but I haven't really got the time to dig through a ton of inter-related dependencies. Perhaps somebody else might know?

IMHO, if such should be the case, it's a fair bet it'll be a "common" requirement for a fair number of other apps, too. It's likely to be at a fairly 'basic' level in the dependency hierarchy, wouldn't you think?

My view is that Feek's got the right idea. Start 'em in the terminal.....and see what comes up. It's the best "jumping-off" point that I know of in a case like this.

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

scraginagpup, "I cannot get any Wordprocessor working in it".
mikewalsh, "Strange! Text-handling is one of the staple 'basics' of Linux, so if this functionality is non-existent.."
me, It's likely that you've screwed something up. :roll:

Did this condition exist immediately after you started xenialpup the first time? Or did you install applications, make changes, then download and try to run a word-processor that had not been built in? If the latter, what did you do? Or use Menu>Setup>Remove Builtin packages?

OOTB, xenialpup32 should be able to use any of the word-processors you and others mentioned, any 32-bit version of LibreOffice, Apache-OpenOffice, MikeWalsh's portable freeoffice, and maybe --with the inclusion of some libraries-- an old version of K-Office.

How far have you gotten in fleshing-out your Xenialpup? Puppys are modularly built. They consist of the original READ-ONLY file-systems contained in the ISO which are read into RAM on boot-up, and the READ-WRITE SaveFile/Folder you create that is mounted on boot-up.

Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager (PPM), Click the Uninstall, will tell you what you’ve installed. Anything you installed can be uninstalled. You can take a screenshot of the ‘Installed List' and maybe we can figure out what shouldn’t be there.
If you used Remove Builtin, nothing was actually removed. It places a white-out (.wh) next to a file or folder which tell Puppy “don’t use this”. [If you remaster, the white-out is honored and the file(s) are not copied into the new READ-ONLY file-system].

It’s not as easy to undo a ‘Remove-Builtin’. Someone may be able to point to a recent post about finding and deleting .wh files. But it involves running a search on your whole SaveFile/Folder. Unless you’ve spent a great deal of time customizing your Puppy, it’s usually quicker/easier to delete your SaveFile/Folder and rebuild. Your screenshot of the ‘Installed List” will help you remember what you had and maybe what you shouldn’t include.

But Why (rebuild) xenialpup32? It’s now 6 years old, based on 7 year old technology. It was great for its day. But there are newer Puppys even for computers which can only run 32-bit operating systems.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@scraginagpup

Still waiting for the answer.

Are you trying to run 64bit versions of the office software in a 32bit version of Xenialpup 7.5???????

Forum Global Moderator

Return to “Xenial”