F96-CE_4 Latest Stable Release

Moderator: Forum moderators

Sylvander

Re: F96-CE_4 Latest Stable Release

Post by Sylvander »

"Frugal install?"
1. Yes.
"Or how exactly did you do the frugal install?"
2. I used Pburn to write the contents of the FossaPup ISO file to a blank CD-RW, then booted the CD, was taken to the desktop, made all the necessary config choices, rebooted, chose to make a save folder on the sda5 [internal HDD] partition, and saved.
FossaPup rebooted to the [now configured] desktop.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If booting from a CD install.

You are not going to be able to edit the boot loader menu entry to get it to run in Pupmode 13.

All the files are on the CD and they can not be edited. They are all read only, because that is how it is when burned to a CD.

If you do a live install to a USB.

Files on them are read/write and can be edited.

If booting from a USB stick install it will already be working the way you want.
After you make a save and restart using the save, it will be running in pupmode 13.
With save icon on desktop and save options available in Event Manager.

Because programs in Puppy know about how Puppy installs and works.
Use installer programs in Puppy to do the install to a USB stick..

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

You are not going to be able to edit the boot loader menu entry to get it to run in Pupmode 13.

Isn't still possible to use the F2 key during the beginning of the boot to get to a command line prompt that allows the boot parameters to be changed for that specific boot cycle?

Tippe

Post by Tippe »

As far as I know, all boot loaders give option-key, to edit the selected boot menu entry.
I'm still using Grub4Dos and there it's the 'e' command for 'edit'.
Of course one can't store the changes back...
...but that doesn't work either when booting from HD etc.

Bionic Puppy 64bit.
Won't use another one.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@bigpup
"You are not going to be able to edit the boot loader menu entry to get it to run in Pupmode 13.
All the files are on the CD and they can not be edited. They are all read only, because that is how it is when burned to a CD."

1. So how come...my Slacko-5.7.0, which is also written to the same kind of CD-RW and installed EXACTLY the same way, with the pupsave [but file not folder] on the same partition....
Has had for MANY years a shutdown/reboot->save/nosave window?
I have vague memory [from MANY years back] of typing "pmedia=ataflash"[or some such] somewhere, and fooling Slacko into thinking it is running on a flash drive and then using "Puppy Event Manager" to do the necessary.

2. Is "Grub4DosConfig" of any use?
See this http://www.owl.homeip.net/manuals/syste ... ub4dos.htm, and this http://www.owl.homeip.net/manuals/syste ... _linux.htm.
It's all above my understanding, but may make sense to you.

3. Would that be "StickPup"?
4. Do I need to first delete the contents of a Flash Drive, then repartition->reformat before installing F96-CE4 using the ISO file?

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

Is it possible to edit/customize the FossaPup ISO file [to include the necessary], prior to burning it to the CD-RW?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Sylvander wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:56 pm

Is it possible to edit/customize the FossaPup ISO file [to include the necessary], prior to burning it to the CD-RW?

Yes. You can make a bootable CD with Grub4Dos as bootloader for example. You will need to include the grub executable and a custom made menu.lst file together with the other Puppy files.. I've done it before, however I can't guarantee that of you specify pmedia=ataflash will work in this instance on a CD but you can try. But just a question - why do you want to boot and have your Puppy files on a cd, you already have your save file on HD so why not just make a frugal install to the HD and also boot from the HD, it's much faster operational and you can easily change things?

Last edited by amethyst on Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

3. Would that be "StickPup"?
4. Do I need to first delete the contents of a Flash Drive, then re-partition->reformat before installing F96-CE4 using the ISO file?

Yes Stickpup is simplest to use. It will do all that is needed automatically.
All you do is tell it what drive and what ISO to put on it.
It will make a fat32 formatted partition.

When you make a save, it will be a save file on the USB, Fat32 format has a max file size limit of 4GB. That is as big as the save file can be.
But only stuff that really needs to go into the save is settings, configurations, and installed software.

Downloads, images, pictures, documents, videos, etc... can be placed outside of the save, but still on the USB.
/mnt/home is good location
In Puppies file system this is the top layer of the partition the save is on.
Best way to understand it is to navigate to /mnt/home and see what is on it.

Note:
/mnt/home will not be in the file system, until a save is made, and booting using the save.

In Puppy that is the home location (partition) the Puppy files are on and specifically the one the save file is on. (usually everything is on the same partition)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some other versions of Stickpup that may be there to use.

f2StickPup
Formats and installs a single Puppy to a usb stick, in a small "fat32" partition and a large Linux "f2fs" partition.

This allows making the save a folder and storing it on the f2fs formatted partition.
Only limit in size is the free space available on the partition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do USB installs using Frugalpup Installer.
How to:
viewtopic.php?p=116171#p116171

Forum Global Moderator

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

WOW! :thumbup:

That was SO EASY.
And it boots faster too. :D

So what do I do now to get the shutdown/reboot->SAVE/NOSAVE feature?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Sylvander wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:53 am

WOW! :thumbup:

That was SO EASY.
And it boots faster too. :D

So what was easy? Did you install it to HD or usbdrive? Bit difficult to communicate if you do not respond to posts. Your question about the save has already been answered in previous posts.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@amethyst
So what was easy?
1. I used "Menu->Setup->StickPup" to install "F96CE_4.iso" to an 8GB flash drive [which already had another Puppy on it], then booted the mew FossaPup that had been over-written to the flash drive, completed the "1st-boot" configuration, rebooted and [during the reboot] "SAVED" [to a save file on the flash drive].

Bit difficult to communicate if you do not respond to posts.
2. Sorry about that, but...I tend to respond to the posts that I'm going to have a go at...and not those that I think are beyond my ability or understanding.
I usually hope that at some point along the way I WILL understand and have a go...perhaps now?
Although I'm hoping that some method rather easier than that posted by yourself will come along.

Your question about the save has already been answered in previous posts.
3. Yes, thank you for reminding me, I'll go re-read, and hope it makes more sense to me than it did back when I 1st read it.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

Oops, I missed the last 2 posts on April 5th.
I'll go read them now, although my quick read suggests those suggestions may now be redundant since I now have a working FossaPup Flash Drive.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Look in menu -> System ->Event Manager ->Save session

If it says you are running in pupmode 13 the setting options should be select-able to control save operation.

The info on what happens is on that window.

If it says you are in pupmode 12

Then you will have to do the pmedia=usbflash edit to the grub.cfg file on the USB.

Reboot so this is now used to boot with.

Forum Global Moderator

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@amethyst
Yes. You can make a bootable CD with Grub4Dos as bootloader for example.
1. Very interesting!
The problem I have is that, at this stage, I have neither the knowledge or ability to do it, and I'm 77 years of age, and suffer "essential tremor" [hands tremor, cannot write] and hypertension.

You will need to include the grub executable and a custom made menu.lst file together with the other Puppy files..
2. The "menu.lst" is something of a mystery to me. I don't think I've ever seen one. :(

I can't guarantee that of you specify pmedia=ataflash will work in this instance on a CD but you can try.
3. I WISH I could remember what I did back then, but my memory is pretty useless these days. "Old age does not come alone!" and, "You never know what's ahead of you.".

why do you want to boot and have your Puppy files on a cd
4. Well...when I first began using Puppy...all those years ago...I installed to a CD. Then I tried LOTS of Puppies. Eight on CD...six on flash drive. 64-bit and 32-bit.
I found the CD's were easier to boot than Flash Drives [still are, but...], and the 32-bit were both faster to boot and faster to run. Couldn't see any advantages to 64-bit.
Now here I am [all these years later] with a 64-bit F96-CE4 on an 8GB Flash Drive, and TRYING to EQUAL some of the features/capabilities of "Slacko-5.7.0-PAE-ataflash".
Although I see that F96-CE4 has LOTS of SUPER programs included [no need to add them as I did with Slacko].

"you already have your save file on HD so why not just make a frugal install to the HD and also boot from the HD"
5. Ah...I don't know how to do that, so I tend to stick to what I know how to do.
Also...I already have my internal HDD partitioned and formatted with an old Windows install [that's using sda1, sda2, sda3] that includes my Family Tree [VITAL it is kept].
Which reminds me...does F96CE4 include WINE [the "winefile" command]? I can [if I can remember how, otherwise I use the Windows install to], use that to run the Windows Family Tree program and view my Family Tree.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@dpupp
1. Thank you, I took a look at that. Really interesting, but frightening. I fear it's beyond my ability. :roll:
Since I now have F96-CE4 on a Flash Drive it makes it redundant.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Sylvander
Okay, thanks for responding. You can make a dual-boot system with Windows (puppy also installed on harddrive) and either use the Windows bootloader or a linux bootloader like grub4dos or grub. But your installation to usbflash is a good choice and maybe the easier option for you. You need to use a 64-bit version of Wine for F96-CE.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Sylvander wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:53 am

That was a specific modification to the shutdown procedure. Somewhere in the old forum. Don't think I have seen it in this new forum.
It requires modification of some files - then a remaster (or similar) to lock it in permanently.

But just to check - did you use that save/nosave function to decide when to save or discard the contents of a current session? (eg - if you had a bad experience in your web browser you could choose "no-save" and dump the current session?)

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@bigpup
"f2StickPup
Formats and installs a single Puppy to a usb stick, in a small "fat32" partition and a large Linux "f2fs" partition.
This allows making the save a folder and storing it on the f2fs formatted partition.
Only limit in size is the free space available on the partition."

Used this to install the "F96-CE_4.iso" to a different Flash Drive to the one made using "StickPup", so it saves to a folder [which I prefer] rather than a file.
It automatically made a folder the save location, and automatically chose the location and the folder names and file name, I didn't need to do any of that. :D

Last edited by Sylvander on Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@amethyst
"grub4dos or grub.cfg, I don't know what you are using"
1. How would I find out which?
Pfind finds "/usr/lib/grub4dos", but no grub.cfg.
Is it ESSENTIAL to complete the "pmedia=usbflash" in "menu.lst" prior to moving on to using "Event manager"?
pFind fails to find a "Menu.lst" [using menu* search parameter in "All files".

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@greengeek
"It requires modification of some files - then a remaster (or similar) to lock it in permanently."
1. I certainly would have been unable to have done that.
2. By "lock it in permanently" do you mean into the iso file used to install the Puppy? So it would be a permanent feature of that Puppies ISO? I'm skeptical that was done.

"did you use that save/nosave function to decide when to save or discard the contents of a current session?"
3. Yes.
e.g.
a) When in Youtube: it asks me to accept/reject cookies. If I accept I get the benefit during that session, then I don't save at shutdown/reboot, and the next session is CLEAN [no carry-over due to notsaved cookies, it starts afresh each session].
b) If I make some change to the Puppy during a session and it is a disaster...I can reboot->notsave, and make an improved attempt during the following session. I could repeat this for as many attempts as it takes to get it right.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@amethyst
"You need to use a 64-bit version of Wine for F96-CE."
1. Any idea where I can get that? PET file?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Sylvander wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:59 am

@amethyst
"grub4dos or grub.cfg, I don't know what you are using"
1. How would I find out which?
Pfind finds "/usr/lib/grub4dos", but no grub.cfg.
Is it ESSENTIAL to complete the "pmedia=usbflash" in "menu.lst" prior to moving on to using "Event manager"?
pFind fails to find a "Menu.lst" [using menu* search parameter in "All files".

Nevermind, if you have your Puppy installed to a usb flashdrive now and it works as you want it to work, then we should leave it at that as it may just confuse you further.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Sylvander wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:36 am

@amethyst
"You need to use a 64-bit version of Wine for F96-CE."
1. Any idea where I can get that? PET file?

I don't use 64-bit Wine but I think mikewalsh has published a 64-bit Wine portable. Maybe send him a private message to find out which would be best for your purposes.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@amethyst
"if you have your Puppy installed to a usb flashdrive now and it works as you want it to work, then we should leave it at that as it may just confuse you further."
1. But it DOESN'T work completely as I want. Shutdown/reboot->save/nosave is ESSENTIAL, but not yet set up or included. I MUST have this or it's a NO-GO. I have it in my ancient Slacko!

"send him a private message"
2. Will do. :thumbup2: Done.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

bigpup wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:05 am

Look in menu -> System ->Event Manager ->Save session

If it says you are running in pupmode 13 the setting options should be select-able to control save operation.

The info on what happens is on that window.

If it says you are in pupmode 12

Then you will have to do the pmedia=usbflash edit to the grub.cfg file on the USB.

Reboot so this is now used to boot with.

1. It said I was "Presently in pupmode 12" although it also said that if I was booting from a USB Flash Drive [which I was] I should be in pupmode 13 and have a "Save" icon on the desktop [which is NOT present]. So I conclude it's in pupmode 12 and I need to edit the grub.cfg file, yes?
But how to find it?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

If you are running Puppy from a USB-Stick it automatically is configured to run under PupMode13. You don't have to do anything. Your "if" question is academic.

You'll find MikeWalsh's Portable-Wine here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 191#p68191. How to use it is explained here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 075#p68075. Move the extracted folder to /mnt/home. How to have menu entries for the Windows programs you add here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 53#p104353. But you could just drag those programs executable to your desktop. Clicking the menuadd script shown in the screenshot will create menu entries for 'builtin' wine programs.

IIRC, running windows programs may not work OOTB the first time. If not, you'll have to associate the 'exe' binary with portable-wine. To do that Right-Click the exe, select Set Run Action from the pop-up menu and type wine32 in front of the argument already in the command line box. Click Use Command. [For 64-bit programs, the command would be wine64.

SetRunAction.png
SetRunAction.png (21.01 KiB) Viewed 579 times

If you have any questions about portable wine, ask on its thread.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I think we just need to be patient with Sylvander, guys. He'll get there eventually, I know he will.

I'm only in my early 60s, yet I know it takes me longer to get stuff organised, get my head round it and "deal with it" than it used to, say, 20 years ago. I can only imagine how things will be for ME in another 15 years time.....and I have a heart attack behind me, plus the onset of rheumatoid arthritis in a few joints already.

I know long 'delays' between posts & replies in any given thread tends to make things seem disjointed.....but I don't think ANY of us are really in that much of a hurry where Puppy's concerned. Not if we're completely honest with ourselves! :D

"Patience is a virtue". That's what I was always taught when I was a nipper.... :P

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@mikeslr
"If you are running Puppy from a USB-Stick it automatically is configured to run under PupMode13. You don't have to do anything. Your "if" question is academic.#"
1. So I will proceed to use "Menu->System->Event manager". :D
2. I did this, but [after reboot,and autosave] the only effect it had was to [as chosen] add labels to the partitions displayed on the desktop. :thumbdown: I didn't give the save/nosave option, and no save folder on the desktop.
I'll reboot once more.
Hm, after 2nd reboot...when I tried to run Firefox I got a rather primitive window offering two links. I closed the window and firefox didn't open. Tried to run Firefox once more, got the primitive window again, chose one of the options, was taken to the Puppy forums section on internet browsers. Navigated from there to here. Will shut down Firefox and try to launch it once more. Now it opens as per normal. :D

"Move the extracted folder to /mnt/home."
2. I downloaded what was offered [2 folders=32-bit-4.0.4, 64-bit-5.11, 2 files=photoscape-fully_portable.tar.gz, photoscape-fully_portable.tar.gz.md5] to "/mnt/home/appimagebuilds".
Then looked in "/mnt/home/appimagebuilds/64-bit-56.11" to see "WINE_5.11-portable64.tar.xz" and "WINE_5.11-portable64.tar.xz.md5".
I think I should go no further with this until after I have the save/nosave feature operational.
But I need to know what to do next.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Sylvander wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:26 am

"It requires modification of some files - then a remaster (or similar) to lock it in permanently."
1. I certainly would have been unable to have done that.
2. By "lock it in permanently" do you mean into the iso file used to install the Puppy? So it would be a permanent feature of that Puppies ISO? I'm skeptical that was done.

In that case it is probable that these changes were locked into your savefile rather than remastered into the basic pup sfs.

I think the save/nosave dialog you were using is described in one of your old posts here:

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 5e#p881959
Or:
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?p=881957

Which refers to Scottmans method here:
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=51466

Return to “F96-CE”