F96-CE_4 Latest Stable Release

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: F96-CE_4 Latest Stable Release

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c I like this a lot. I will take a fresh install of F96-CE_4 and set up the JACK server PET and try it out. I use F96 for doing most heavy work compiling, building packages and assembling KLV's

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:34 pm

@geo_c I like this a lot. I will take a fresh install of F96-CE_4 and set up the JACK server PET and try it out. I use F96 for doing most heavy work compiling, building packages and assembling KLV's

I'm running into issues configuring midi. I tried using a2jmidid bridge, which does seem to work in qjackctl, but it's not working in Carla installed from the repo, and it might be more to do with Carla which runs but can be buggy when messing with the engine configuration.

Right now I'm downloading all the dependencies and packages for Ardour8 from Debian Sid repos to see if I can install it.

All my jack apps from the built-in pup repo seem to be working except Carla which gets buggy and hangs with the right combination of settings.

I use the legacy pup package manager because I never quite got the hang of Package Manager NG.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I use the legacy pup package manager because I never quite got the hang of Package Manager NG.

I tend to use the legacy PPM for simpler packages but use pkg on the command line to do the more complicated packages with dependencies because pkg does a better job handling and installing the dependencies.

Code: Select all

pkg --help
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:59 pm

I tend to use the legacy PPM for simpler packages but use pkg on the command line to do the more complicated packages with dependencies because pkg does a better job handling and installing the dependencies.

pkg --help

And just to be clear, midi is working and I can play all my virtual instruments, it's just that connecting to mid-thru and displaying full device names in Carla isn't all there yet.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@rockedge that Ardour8 install was a BAD idea. I broke f96 real good that way, too many C libs and stuff involved. I figured since F96 appeared to have v6 clibs that it might work. Instead I broke the system to the point I couldn't mount or unmount drives, or even run the shutdown manager. Had to use command line poweroff to get out of it.

That's okay, because just having F96 running jack and all the virtual instruments is nice in and of itself. The latest version of Ardour in the repos is v5, and that would be fine if the project files were backward compatible.

I suppose I could install v5 in F96 in case I want to capture or mix something, then once I switch to a KLV and open with version8 that works, but you can't go the other way.

geo_c

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

Running from a 4GB USB stick -

When I choose Default I end up with a working OS and happily carry on using it -

When I choose RAM only - no pupsave:

Menu.jpg
Menu.jpg (96.72 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

I end up with a Kernel panic screen:

Kernel panic.jpg
Kernel panic.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

The only way I can get out of this is to hold the power off button down and do a reboot -

I don't know why this happens -

Anyone with an answer and possible fix please, thanks -

I haven't tried any other Menu Option, just in case I create a problem -

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Chelsea80
I will have to look over the boot stanza responsible for launching that option to find out what is going wrong. I suspect the rootfs partition is not being found....maybe :geek:

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@rockedge

OK thanks, will leave it with you -

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Just got a brand new HP laptop (Envy17t-cr100) with an Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5.3 wireless card.

It boots and runs well on Bookworm64 pup on thumbdrive with wifi and touchpad working automatically.

I'd prefer F96CE as my working Puppy, so I made a live thumbdrive for that.

It boots well but unfortunately touchpad and wifi don't work.

Keyboard and Mouse Wizard Touchpad section reports no Synaptics device found.
Network Wizard can't find automatically the driver for the wireless card. I did try iwlwifi as a manual choice, but that was unsuccessful.

The Kernel in Bookworm64 pup is 6.1.67. The kernel in my F96-CE is 6.0.12.

Thanks for any help in getting touchpad and wireless working in F96-CE on this laptop.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I've solved the wireless firmware problem by downloading and installing this .deb with many firmware updates:

https://github.com/q3aql/drivers-linux-firmware

I was hoping it would also solve the touchpad problem automatically, but it didn't. I do wonder if this might be now a matter of adding some module already onboard to the Boot Manager?

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Touchpad issue was resolved (and probably this might have resolved the wifi issue, too, if I hadn't already done that) by upgrading the kernel to a huge kernel here:

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Huge-Kernels

I chose https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... p64.tar.xz

And manually installed, correcting the version names of fdrv and adrv to 9.6 (they were 9.5)

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

New issue for this laptop is that the speakers aren't working, though the headphone is. I've done a fair amount of research and the laptop seems to use cirrus cs35l41 amps. A lot of work was done by users with attempted patches for these chips. I believe that official patches were finally worked out and applied in kernel 6.7. So I will try to see if I can upgrade my F96CE to that.

UPDATE:

The only 6.7.x kernel I could find here https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Huge-Kernels , was labeled huge-6.7.5-64oz-aoum.tar -- not really a Fossapup specific entry like 6.1.8 was. I did try it after renaming its two files, but on restarting F96 not much woirked, including sound, touchpad and wifi, so I reverted to the Fossapup kernel version huge 6.1.8

Edit:

Maybe the problem with that last try was that I didn't get a later firmware (fdrv) file for it. I'll try again with Gyrog's latest firmware..... linux_firmware_20240201.sfs

Edit: No luck. Something's wrong... not sure what.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@rockedge

How are you getting on with my post that is 7up (not the drink)?

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Chelsea80 So far I have not gotten F96-CE to boot using the RAM with no save file/folder selection.

Not exactly sure what is breaking it yet, and when this problem started is unknown at the moment.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@rockedge

Thanks for your reply -

Unfortunately I can not offer any assistance to you -

I am just a 'key pusher' with regard to Puppy Linux -

Perhaps this problem could be put out to the wider community -

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly? -

If so, could it be that a resolve has been found but not been shared -

Just a thought -

In the meantime I can continue using the Default option and enjoy F96-CE_4 -

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

1. I burned the "F96-CE_4 Latest Stable Release" iso to a CD-RW disk [to see how it went].
I explain beginning here: viewtopic.php?t=309&start=30 at post "Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 pm".
It's running well, BUT...

2. I'd like to make the following comments:
a) It's TOO SLOW when booting this 64-bit FossaPup from the CD.
Is it impossible to get a 64-bit Puppy to boot FAST from a CD? Would I need to install to a Flash Drive, or what? 32-bit Puppy?
b) It runs fast once booted/loaded into RAM. :thumbup:
c) I MUST have any Puppy I use offer the reboot/shutdown->save/nosave feature. I noticed this feature available at setup->1st reboot/shutdown, but not after then.
d) I'm discovering that [unlike my old "Slacko-5.7.0-pae-ataflash"] I cannot choose [at 1st boot] any convenient location for the save file [or folder]. I tried to copy the folder to a more convenient location, then deleted the original, and stuff would no longer work.
I had to power-off, reboot and begin [1st boot] anew.
e) I was forced to seek out an up-to-date Puppy to replace my ancient/old-reliable Slacko because its old web-browsers [Firefox/Palemoon] were no longer working well.
The recent Firefox included in FossaPup seems to be working well. Nice to see Xfe is included.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sylvander wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 pm

I tried to copy the folder to a more convenient location, then deleted the original, and stuff would no longer work.
I had to power-off, reboot and begin [1st boot] anew.

My experience with copying save folders in F96 is that it has to be done in a terminal using cp -arv or things like audio do not work. My guess is this has something to do with symlinks in Startup or something like that. But copied using the -ar switch does work. I have copied my savefolders all over the place using that method and not run into any issues. Copying save folders using Xfe however does cause certain things to break.

geo_c

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @Sylvander
I offer a couple of things that are facts I've discovered over the years.

Boot speed
The developers on this forum spend much time to accomplish things I find extremely important. They painstakingly structure booting such as to insure their distros reach desktop. Their emphasis thereafter is setup of an operationally safe, stable, desktop operation. As WoofCE PUPs are designed to be RAM resident, they run as fast as RAM allows fetching. This is characteristic of all that I have used over my years in Puppyland. So like most others on this forum, speedy, safe, and stable desktop operations is the desire versus time it takes to boot. As far as I know, full-featured Linux/Microsoft/Apple distros are not the fastest in boot times. In FACT, the fastest full-desktop OS on the planet today is Google's ChromeOS.

On speed of your CD (as you mentioned), I have, in the distant past, found DVDs to be superior in operational speed versus use of CD. This was lab tests done 2 decades ago. Try it for yourself and report us if you can verify this.

Lastly, for the years since WoofCE incorporated feature to support ISO file booting, early on, I found that booting a forum distro's ISO file from one of the 2 boot launchers (Ventoy or SG2D) that we use on the forum arrives at desktop in EXACTLY the same timeframe as a traditional Frugal. Thus, thanks to the developers, boot launchers offer benefit as space for traditional Frugal use is unnecessary while boot speeds are unaffected no matter which method of booting is chosen by the user. ISO file booting offer ALL of the same benefits while have the advantage of avoiding unnecessary space. Further the launchers bring a simple experience in their use as it offer the user choices of which distro they want to launch when either are booted, not to mention the traditional setup is not required to get to desktop.

All that I share are results of individual testing using this forum's distros over the years. The items, I share, are easily reproducible.

BTW: One of the fastest boot distros, as I remember, is @fatdog , after is does its drives inventory. (Again, this is easily reproducible)

Hope this info is helpful

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@geo_c
"My experience with copying save folders in F96 is that it has to be done in a terminal using cp -arv"
How exactly is this done?
How does the terminal know what to copy, and where to copy it to?
Is it then ok to delete the originals using ROX-Filer?
Should all of this be done only within FossaPup?
Or can it be done from some other Puppy?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sylvander Easy way is to reboot your F96-CE_4 into RAM only mode without a save file or folder.

Then using the Rox file manager (or file manager of your choice) go into the frugal directory of the F96-CE_4 installation and from here you can duplicate the save folder/file with a slightly different name or copy it to another location.

Then reboot "normally" allowing the save folder/file to load again. Now there is a copy that will not have the special run time files present when the system is running and can boot cleanly.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@rockedge
1. "Easy way is to reboot your F96-CE_4 into RAM only mode without a save file or folder."
I understand why this is to be done, but wouldn't it be easier/quicker/safer to use some other Puppy to do the work?

2. "Then using the Rox file manager (or file manager of your choice) go into the frugal directory of the F96-CE_4 installation and from here you can duplicate the save folder/file....copy it to another location."
a) So where does the terminal command prompt come in [as specified by geo_c].
b) Are you saying the folder/files should be duplicated/copied, with the originals NOT being deleted, or did you just forget to mention the deletion of the originals?

3. "Then reboot "normally" allowing the save folder/file to load again."
a) Would this be the copied/moved save folder that is loaded? Does the Puppy seek and find the copied/moved folder? Else how does it know where to find the folder/files?

4. "Now there is a copy that will not have the special run time files present when the system is running and can boot cleanly."
a) Understood.
b) Surely these "special run time files" would also not be present if some other Puppy was used to copy/move them.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@rockedge

That's assuming Sylvander can boot from the menu option RAM only - no pupsave

As you know I can't and you have said you can't.

So far I have not gotten F96-CE to boot using the RAM with no save file/folder selection.

Not exactly sure what is breaking it yet, and when this problem started is unknown at the moment

So it will be interesting to see how Sylvander gets on and hopefully reports back.

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sylvander
You certainly can do the same procedures using another Puppy Linux. :thumbup2:

I sometimes use a KLV type distro as well to do this type of work.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sylvander

I believe someone else has also recently reported difficulty in getting F96-CE_4 to boot in RAM mode when selected from the menu during system start. :shock:

I have been able to replicate that particular problem. Might be the same menu selection you are using that fails to boot the system correctly.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@rockedge

I rather feel your last post to Sylvander was intended for me, yes?

I believe someone else has also recently reported difficulty in getting F96-CE_4 to boot in RAM mode when selected from the menu during system start.

Not being able to find another Forum Members post relating to this difficulty I guess that's me.

So far I have not gotten F96-CE to boot using the RAM with no save file/folder selection.

Not exactly sure what is breaking it yet, and when this problem started is unknown at the moment.

I have been able to replicate that particular problem. Might be the same menu selection you are using that fails to boot the system correctly.

Ok so maybe from your point of view that narrows it done a bit.

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Yes. It was that post that made me aware that something is wrong with some of the menu selections in the ISO so when booting from ISO as CD-ROM or from a burned CD/DVD.

Using a frugal installation and duel booting in RAM mode works fine. Still working on a diagnosis and fix for it!

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

rockedge wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm

@Sylvander Easy way is to reboot your F96-CE_4 into RAM only mode without a save file or folder.

Then using the Rox file manager (or file manager of your choice) go into the frugal directory of the F96-CE_4 installation and from here you can duplicate the save folder/file with a slightly different name or copy it to another location.

Then reboot "normally" allowing the save folder/file to load again. Now there is a copy that will not have the special run time files present when the system is running and can boot cleanly.

I do what Rockedge says all the time when testing or setting up a new instance.

FYI, booting without a savefile into RAM (if it isn't a choice on the boot up menu) can often be done temporarily by starting the computer and at the boot screen highlighting the Puppy you want to move, and hitting an "e" for edit.

Then drop down to the line in the boot config screen where you see some pfix= commands. Open a little space in that line and add pfix=ram.

Drop out of edit mode and hit "b" to boot (in old Grub, or Ctrl-X or F10 I believe in the latest version -- whatever is suggested in the editor). The computer will start up without the savefile, and you will be able to move it or copy it intact anywhere without problems.

Don't worry about your pfix=ram edit, afterwards, it isn't a permanent change

Last edited by vtpup on Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Just to add to above advice.

I make a copy of the save and rename the copy by putting bak. at the beginning of the name.

This helps to know this save is a backup copy.

Also it will not be seen as a usable save by the boot process.

To make it a usable save, simply remove the bak. from the name.

Example:

fossapup64save -> the working save.

bak.fossapup64save ->the backup copy

You can also add a date to when the copy was made.

bak-02242024.fossapup64save

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sylvander wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:33 pm

@geo_c
"My experience with copying save folders in F96 is that it has to be done in a terminal using cp -arv"
How exactly is this done?
How does the terminal know what to copy, and where to copy it to?
Is it then ok to delete the originals using ROX-Filer?
Should all of this be done only within FossaPup?
Or can it be done from some other Puppy?

Just for future reference, assuming you get things booted and make a save folder. To copy in a terminal you have to type the paths and files you want to copy and also the target path.

So let's say you boot a pup on sda1 and make a save folder on shutdown in it's install directory named something like /mnt/sda1/fossapup64_9.6/fossapup64save-SylsSave. The best bet is on next boot make a backup save in the same location using the "pupsave backup" routine from the utilities menu. You'll get a backup save folder named something like this: fossapup64save-SylsSave.BKP-2024.03.30-12.10

After having made that backup, if you want to copy to another location (for instance another install on sdb1) then you write the copy command in the terminal like this:

cp -arv /mnt/sda1/fossapup64_9.6/fossapup64save-SylsSave.BKP-2024.03.30-12.10 /mnt/sdb1/fossapup64_9.6

This will copy the folder to the target location /mnt/sdb1/fossapup64_9.6 and the switch -a means copy all attributes, the switch -r copies all folders recursively, and the -v switch gives you verbose output showing you what's it's doing during the operation (optional but I always use it)

To get rid of the backup time stamp on the end of the folder name, you can use Rox or Xfe or any file manager and just rename (as long as it still begins fossapup64save-. You can still boot into it even with the time stamp attached. But making a backup from that scenario results in a double timestamp and the filename starts getting too long and messy.

You can delete any originals as long as you ARE NOT CURRENTLY RUNNING FROM THEM! That results in a severely crippled system doomed to crash at any moment. Makes sense.

geo_c

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Hmmmmm, just tried my own advice above, and booted with a modified Linux line adding pfix=ram in F96-CE v4 and it didn't work! :oops:

First time that's ever happened to me. It just booted up into the normal puppy savefile. I could swear I've done the pfix=ram trick before with this installation..... I'm going to have to look into this out of curiosity...

LATER: I tried adding pfix=ram to the Linux line of grub.cfg permanently via text editor, rebooting, and had the same behavior. pfix=ram is apparently not seen, or ignored for some reason. Maybe that's a clue to the earlier mentioned problem?

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Return to “F96-CE”