How necessary is it to keep Linux up to date?

For discussions about security.
k1e3w5

How necessary is it to keep Linux up to date?

Post by k1e3w5 »

Hi,

Relatively speaking (compared to windoze etc), how necessary is it really to keep Linux up to date for a typical home user?

I have a 6 year old Mint 18.3 linux on an old laptop and support stopped in 2021.

Is it really that much of an issue, considering the extra security that Linux already provides?

Jasper

Re: How necessary is it to keep Linux up to date?

Post by Jasper »

@k1e3w5

The reasons could be to update existing drivers and stability.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I'm still using an upgraded Racy and Bionic32 both with old kernels dating back to 2013. I haven't experienced any "ill effects" or security issues so far. Both my Puppy systems are read-only though (don't use a savefile/folder for changes) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

This is my multimedia server that runs 24/7 :D

Code: Select all

# uname -a
Linux linux_server 2.6.25.16 #1 Tue Aug 26 10:45:53 GMT-8 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
# cat /etc/puppyversion
#
k1e3w5

Post by k1e3w5 »

amethyst wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:20 am

I'm still using an upgraded Racy and Bionic32 both with old kernels dating back to 2013. I haven't experienced any "ill effects" or security issues so far. Both my Puppy systems are read-only though (don't use a savefile/folder for changes) :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, with no savefile, do you have them just 'out of the box' and do you then have to setup anything each time you turn it on (like wifi or a printer etc)? or do you have some other way or storing a setup that you require every time you use it?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

k1e3w5 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 pm
amethyst wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:20 am

So, with no savefile, do you have them just 'out of the box' and do you then have to setup anything each time you turn it on (like wifi or a printer etc)? or do you have some other way or storing a setup that you require every time you use it?

I save my small system changes when needed to a read-only sfs file (booted as an adrv). That's normally about 5 mb in size compressed. I do not install big applications but load them either as read-only sfs files (mostly, very safe, chances of corruption almost non-existent) or use portable applications located out of the running puppy system (will not be part of a savefile/folder if you have one).

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have a DELL tower built in 2011 that I frugally installed Tahr-6.0.5 (32 bit) in 2013. I installed avahi-daemon in 2014 and the hplib pajkage to get the HP printer drivers. The system is mostly for acting as a print and scan server that Android and Apple devices can print directly too.

I have not updated anything on it since 2018 when I removed most of the browsers which are not needed on this system. Runs solid as a rock wall and is amazing how well it chugs along doing everything printer.

Never had a single problem with security so far in all of this time. The system is LAN/Internet connected and I am using it now to print package address labels. The 32 bit Tahr runs and runs......still a favorite of mine.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @k1e3w5

This is the MAJOR reason I have found to be the BEST answer...for me! "SAFETY!"

In my cases over the many decades, its the security and the fixes that are primary as being of utmost importance for each and every OS I use or have ever used.

Hope this is helpful.

sonny

Post by sonny »

I guess SAFETY & SECURITY reasons.
Safety: accident avoidance (internal: o/s bugs, etc)
Security: crime prevention (external: deliberate threats, etc)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@k1e3w5 :-

My take on the matter is this. There's two schools of thought on this one:-

• Those to whom NOT constantly updating everything the instant it's available constitutes the ultimate in utter foolishness.

:o :roll: :lol:

• Those who take the view - and this group is far larger than you might credit! - that "If it ain't broke....why bother trying to 'fix it'"?

Much depends on your use-case, I suppose. If you spend a fair bit of time online - and I guess most of us probably do - then at the very least you should keep your browser(s) & related dependencies up-to-date. But even that's "relative" in real terms....

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Basically, the new linux kernels contain updated security to the files/apps installed. The caveat is such new kernels also contain new drivers and other new software. Of note is the new 'webp' extension that many sites are converting towards. This means updates to various display apps/software. Another is EXT4, which has had dozens of updates since 2021... EXT3 only 2. And finally, the code from amazon, Google, Microsoft in their various softwares need fixing. Some of this is browser dependent... some NOT.

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Well it depends. If there is a grave security vulnerabilities or bugs. You have to update. Either swapping kernel files or install recent packages.

My QuickPup64 is capable of updating builtin packages from slackware repo.

Return to “Security”