BookWorm - Backup procedure.

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

soniabu

BookWorm - Backup procedure.

Post by soniabu »

Hi everyone. I hope you are well. I'm fine.
I'll show you how I backup my BookWorm as I haven't found any other method.
If someone can suggest something else (pupsavebackup for example ?) I will evaluate it carefully.
I do this now. (premise: the usb stick(sda)= 30GB.)
a) with 'dd' I create an image (photo a) by BookWorm;

b) the image ... (photo b) I mount it and with "gparted" I resize it; after with "truncate" I restrict to actual data;

c) then compact with 'lrzip' before uploading the backups to Mega.
Do you think there is a simpler method?
Thank in advance.
sonia

Last edited by fredx181 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed spelling mistake
ljlj

Re: BookWarm - Backup procedure.

Post by ljlj »

dear sonia
i use debiandog and i use
quickremaster in 10 seconds
for me it is backup
greetings

dancytron

Re: BookWarm - Backup procedure.

Post by dancytron »

I use rsync to back up the whole debian dog directory to a usb drive.

viewtopic.php?p=61656#p61656

backi

Re: BookWorm - Backup procedure.

Post by backi »

@dancytron @soniabu
Why not just copy the Debian-Dog Directory mainly the "live" Folder to a save Location.Your personal Data (Videos,Documents,Music...etc.) should anyway be stored separately.
So just the "live" Folder is copied to a save second Location as a Backup of your whole Debian Dog Operating System (remastered or not).

Doing a Quick-remaster and rebooting before copying it to a save second Location is a fast and fine Method to also merge your Sytemmodifications "changes"(Folder)into the 01.filesystem.squashfs .

The so (Quick-remastered) 01.filesystem.squashfs now contains the whole Debian-Dog OP System including content of your"changes" Folder which will be emptied after Quick-remastered and Rebooted.....cause "changes" are merged into 01.filesystem.squashfs .

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Well. Thanks everyone for the replies.
I think it's better to use 'grsync' (also because quickremaster doesn't master it completely).
Personal folders are clear to me what they are. It's not so bright though - and I'm ashamed :oops: to write it -
what the 'debiandog directory' is. I am attaching two imgs of my Bookworm USB stick.
Where is the ' Debiandog directory ' on sda1 or sda2 ?
And which folders should be saved (only live?) to have a backup of the operating system?
thank you for your patience and kindness.
sonia
(click to enlarge)

backi

Post by backi »

hi@soniabu !
The "live" Folder contains your whole Debian-Dog OP System....(including your "changes" Folder....... which contains all your saved Changes).

The whole "live" Folder can simply be copied and stored to a save Location as a Backup of your Debian-Dog OP System.

I really do not understand why your whole Op System is scattered over 2 Partitions (Partition sda1(labeled BOOKWORM) and sda2 (Folder B_worm formatted fat32)......why not just simply stored on one single Partition....on the Partition sda1 labeled BOOKWORM...... formatted as ext4.....this Partition should contain the "live" Folder...(..inside a B_worm Folder?) .

I am rather confused.
Maybe anybody else can help to enlighten you and me further.

Also maybe posting your menu.lst could bring some Light into the whole Shebang.

You also wrote

I think it's better to use 'grsync' (also because quickremaster doesn't master it completely).

....i doubt it ......but maybe @fredx181 or anybody else is more skilled than me to explain.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:

I really do not understand why your whole Op System is scattered over 2 Partitions (Partition sda1(labeled BOOKWORM) and sda2 (Folder B_worm formatted fat32)......why not just simply stored on one single Partition....on the Partition sda1 labeled BOOKWORM...... formatted as ext4.....this Partition should contain the "live" Folder...(..inside a B_worm Folder?) .

If I remember well I once advised Sonia to use a save-folder, and therefore needed a ext (Linux) partition for the changes, which became sda2.

@soniabu Perhaps the best/easiest is to create same setup on a new USB, but better don't use a file manager to copy the changes folder, so let's say you have created on your new USB the same two partitions, sdb1 (FAT) and sdb2 (ext4) then:
- copy 'live', 'boot' and 'EFI' folders and grub.cfg from sda1 to sdb1 (not sure if you have UEFI bios, but I think, tell me if not), that's the copying of the DD system (and boot stuff for uefi) to sdb1 (FAT32),
but then the changes:
- copy (but use cp from terminal) the folder containing the changes (in your case "B_worm") to sdb2 (ext4)
If mountpoint of sdb2 is /mnt/sdb2 then: cp -a /mnt/sda1/B_worm /mnt/sdb2/

Perhaps you get the picture of how to basically do it, the way @dancytron mentioned may work too (using rsync), but don't know if it's UEFI supported (should be FAT 1st partition for UEFI / grub).
Anyway do NOT copy the changes with a file-manager, it may become incomplete then.
EDIT: And if you use GRUB as bootloader (on UEFI) then possibly grub.cfg needs editing for to work with the new USB, not sure though.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Well Fred I will do as you explained.
thanks a lot to all.
s

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sonia, if it appears that you're having trouble realizing it, best to give more info, e.g. is your computer with UEFI :?: , post the contents of the grub.cfg (or menu.lst if you have legacy BIOS).

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Fred, I did everything.
Now I have a new USB stick with the operating system working - I use it right now here on the forum.
here is the grub. img (I don't know how to get the menu.lst)

UEFI; Image

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

backi wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:07 pm

hi@soniabu !
The "live" Folder contains your whole Debian-Dog OP System....(including your "changes" Folder....... which contains all your saved Changes).

The whole "live" Folder can simply be copied and stored to a save Location as a Backup of your Debian-Dog OP System.

I am rather confused.
Maybe anybody else can help to enlighten you and me further.

Also maybe posting your menu.lst could bring some Light into the whole Shebang.

You also wrote

....i doubt it ......but maybe @fredx181 or anybody else is more skilled than me to explain.

I don't actually do it anymore, but I had it set up where I did the rsync to a bootable drive with a manually written menu.1st so I had a bootable copy of my desktop OS, then if something happened I could literally just boot up with the usb drive to any computer and be right back in business.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:29 pm

Fred, I did everything.
Now I have a new USB stick with the operating system working - I use it right now here on the forum.
here is the grub. img (I don't know how to get the menu.lst)

Ok, fine that it works for you. :thumbup:
I see in your grub.cfg changes=EXIT:/mnt/sda2/B_worm
It could be that your new USB is also recognized as sda , then it's fine.
But note that you shouldn't have both USB sticks plugged in (right before booting), needs to be just one, otherwise there's a chance of conflict (as both have the same setup, e.g. same name B_worm for the save-folder).

Return to “DebianDogs”