new KLU-jamXFCEbase 1.1 (620MiB) Ubuntu Jammy-based

Kennel Linux Ubuntu Jammy-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

new KLU-jamXFCEbase 1.1 (620MiB) Ubuntu Jammy-based

Post by wiak »

KLU-jam-XFCEbase-1.1

For some media, such as Ventoy, QEMU, and SG2D, you can also use savefolder, but you need to label partitions appropriately sometimes. For details about boot media label requirements for iso booting, see this recent post: viewtopic.php?p=79395#p79395
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW: rox filer, mtp-tools, blueman, experimental sfs-load-on-the-fly (via symlinks for overlayfs)
No browser included, but has Quickinstall browser utility under Start > Internet; Chromium-browser (recommended) is from safe PPA using apt/dpkg and not snap. Run from terminal with chromium-browser --no-sandbox if root user wanting sound.
Decided to include sfs-load-on-the-fly, by @fredx181, in this release, but as an 13sfs_load_overlay_symlinks_systemd.sfs file so you can disable it by renaming to D13sfs_load_overlay_symlinks_systemd.sfs. Also, I don't know if I included all the necessary sfs loading code correctly...

This is an interim release still using pulseaudio; next release in March 2024 probably will be with pipewire instead (don't have time to set that up right now).
Haven't changed the cherrytree notebook text, and probably won't.
BEFORE (not changed): Has over forty (!) new commandline-based utility apps (a few with very simple yad frontends).

There is a cherrytree README notes file on the Desktop that contains lots of details and tips regarding these additions, including a couple of simple yad GUI frontend templates in code form to help others develop their own.
I am no longer using gtkdialog for new app/utils in FirstRib when possible. Many upstream distros no longer have gtkdialog in their repos at all whereas yad is well supported and good enough for most simple frontends.

620 MiB download size
Quite a bit bigger, but mainly because compressed using zstd level 19 for better performance.
Download from sourceforge here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/klu-ja ... s/Rel_1.1/
md5sum: 1df4edf6e3e63a296d72774a209355d0 KLU-jam-XFCEbase-1.1.iso

Set your timezone via StartMenu -> Settings -> Timezone

Comes with no internet browser so the inevitable regular updating of browser later does not cause additional bloat, but has Quick INSTALL_BROWSER (and more) GUI:

Use Start Menu -> Internet -> INSTALL_BROWSER application to install
firefox, chromium-browser, osmo, and/or LibreOffice
Once browser is installed you need to make it Default Browser using:
Start Menu -> Settings -> Default Applications
Note Well: Chromium-browser will not start from top panel as things stand if you are on root user desktop.

You can also use INSTALL_BROWSER to update your browser to newer versions at any time.

As provided, by default the distro auto-logs-in to Desktop as user root, but menu is provided such that you can auto-login to Desktop as a normal user if you prefer that for security. For example, to make distro autologin as spot to desktop:

First prepare the user switch via: Start Menu -> System -> User Switch
Choose who you want to next autologin as - root, spot, or firstrib (password is irrelevant).
Finally, logout with:
Start Menu -> Log out (and choose Log out option from the pop-up)

Reboots will thereafter continue autologging in as the last user you selected. You can repeat the process at any time to, say, go back to autologin as user root.

INSTALLATION (Alternative methods):

1. On a Ventoy usbstick with ext4 data partition labelled as 'Ventoy', create a folder named /BOOTISOS and simply put the KLU-XFCEbase-1.1.iso in there and boot your Ventoy usb stick to use KLU-XFCEbase.
NOTE: With Ventoy, you can save on demand (called RAM2 mode) back to the 'Ventoy' labelled disk partition into auto-created Sessions folder.
Alternatively, if you have a partition on your system somewhere labelled 'Persistence' you can use save on demand persistence to Sessions folder there.
You can also choose from provided grub menu to do 'direct' writes back to same save persistence (either to 'Ventoy' usbstick labelled partition or to external 'Persistence' labelled partition).
2. Boot via QEMU using, for simple example, commandline:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga cirrus -smp 2 -device AC97 -cdrom KLU-XFCEbase-X.X.iso -boot once=d
If you attach a qcow2 additional -hda disk, and partition it wish one of the partitions labelled 'Persistence', you can use save on demand into the auto-created 'Sessions' folder there too.
3. Create a normal frugal install. For example:
a. mkdir -p </mnt/partition>/KLU-XFCEbase
b. mount the iso somewhere and copy all of its contents out and into that KLU-XFCEbase frugal install directory.
c. Open a terminal at that directory and enter command: ./wd_grubconfig
That should give you suitable grub2 or grub4dos accurate (correct UUID or LABEL provided) stanzas to use (assuming you have a working grub bootloader already installed on your computer).
Once again you can choose to use w_changes=RAM2 save on demand mode, or w_changes="" (default) direct save persistence mode.
4. For more usage modes refer to blog articles at https://tinycorelinux.info

Also read the following for additional useful installation-related information:
viewtopic.php?p=82242#p82242
viewtopic.php?p=75863#p75863

trizen (for AUR) and pacman info:
viewtopic.php?p=81188#p81188
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/pacman
=======================================
Currently Includes:

1. Cherrytree hierarchical notebook (a fantastic, slim, but powerful, multipurpose application).
I use this for all my own documentation rather than any html or markup based editor. Main reason is I don't like typing too much and you can simply copy and paste from web pages directly into cherrytree (rich text, tables, syntax-highlighted code, and images-support included).
2. Since KLU-XFCEbase is XFCE4-based, it contains many expected utility apps from that, including file manager Thunar, xfce4-terminal, xfce4-clipboard-plugin, Power-manager/battery/backlight-brightness.
Package xfce4-goodies contains more. See also installable 'goodies' package list: viewtopic.php?p=79669#p79669
3. Mtpaint (also scrot/scrox and xfce4-screenshooter for screenshots)
4. Pulseaudio and pavucontrol
5. Wex for audio, video, webcam, screencasts and video recording. Just use pavcontrol to set the Input and Output levels and expect wex to work straight out of the box!
Uses ffmpeg backend along with the installed pulseaudio system.
6. Gifenc-sel (by fredx181) for making gifs out of videos (integrated to work via button in Wex).
7. Precord for simple audio recording
8. Geany (for text/code editing); also simple L3eafpad notebook; all such apps included are GTK3-based (official Arch repos discontinuing old GTK2 app support, though you can still find some in the unofficial Arch User Repository/AUR).
9. Git (useful for online archiving). AUR helper/package manager/installer Trizen (which should be run as normal user; for example: trizen -S <package_name>). For some AUR apps you will need to install build-dev package (includes gcc compiler) first though (pacman -Sy build-dev). Personally I often just use save on demand mode and just install build-dev in temporary session... no need for devx.
10. NetworkManager with nm panel applet
11. Gtkdialog, yad, gxmessage, for simple GUI scripts and scripting.
12. Gdmap and UExtract as right-click Thunar actions. The gtk3 version of Gdmap was specially compiled from Arch AUR.
13. rsync, nano, alsautils, lame, pciutils, usbutils, xdg-utils, filemnt
14. mpv (AV player)
15. Xournal - properly working with paste image support too! ;-)
16. Programming languages installed: Lua, Python, Perl, and Bash of course plus yad and gtkdialog (Everything being GTK+3 versions).
17. Absolutely TONS of new utility apps, which are described in provided cherrytree README notebook.
Including simple yad frontends for wd_simpleHTTP and wd_translate (translates text to locale language).
wd_install_apt GUI (Quick Browser Install and more), wd_systeminfo GUI.
Network apps such as full tcpdump, ngrep, nmon and too many more to describe here (refer to the README available on Desktop).
Most of these utility apps are very useful and I encourage you to make your own yad GUI frontends for some of them.
18. basic scientific X11 calculator: xcalc-gtk
19. Window 'tiling' should work too:
Tile top > WindowsSuperKey-UParrow etc...

This distro is a fully compatible but frugally installable (using FirstRib magics initrd) Ubuntu full multi-user capable distro including completely compatible apt/dpk package management.

It is provided as a carefully configured very small iso that is light on memory and resources, but with very flexible and powerful save on demand (grub kernel line w_changes=RAM2 mode), and so on, frugal install capabilities.

It comes with whisker menu and XFCE with pulseaudio desktop, for efficient elegant user friendliness, but using the package manager that can be changed to whatever the user wants, right up to full Gnome desktop with Wayland and Pipewire or whatever the upstream Ubuntu Jammy repos support.

NOTE 1: You may want to create mnthome symlinks on Desktop and in Thunar bookmarks. Easily done: just copy /mnt/home symlink and drop on your Desktop and in Thunar bookmarks and rename to mnthome or whatever you prefer.

NOTE 2: Normal users spot and firstrib are in sudo group with special configuration so they do not normally require password for sudo use. If you ever need passwords, by default user:password is root:root, spot:spot and firstrib:firstrib.

NOTE 3: I did not include previously discussed dhcpcd5 client (as an addition to existing dhclient) because doing so caused shutdown issues. That means that for some configurations, such as Qemu boot you will likely run into same no ethernet connection issue as previously. The simple workaround is simply to open a terminal and enter command: dhclient eth0 (not required for most boot scenarios, such as Ventoy or normal frugal install via wifi). You can of course arrange to do that command from your rc.local or similar, since it is otherwise a per-session mechanism. The eth-connection problem is caused by Ubuntu's current version of NetworkManager's having a bug such that its internal dhcp client failing to connect.

NOTE 4: If you boot in save on demand (RAM2) mode, make sure to press the save2ram button on the desktop prior to shutdown. This base KLU-jam distro does not include any autosave at shutdown mechanism.
This distro is designed, thanks to Ubuntu and its full multi-user apt capability, to be almost maintenance free for some years apart from occasional apt update/upgrades to savefolder... No constant and continuous weekly auto-builds intended or needed therefore. Just use it and be at peace.

NOTE 5: KLU-jam can be also be used with persistence on NTFS or FAT32 partitions (with .ucimg w_changes savefile; refer to KLV-Airedale for many a FirstRib-related howto). For savefolder use, w_changes boot parameter should however point to a Linux formatted partition.

NOTE 6: No f_ build plug at the moment, but with apt package manager you can make it what you like anyway.

Thanks rockedge for iso/boot/grub general arrangement, and fredx181 for save2flash user-script, Puppy Linux dimkr kernel-kit build: currently using huge kernel/modules/firmware from recent Puppy Upup Jammy.

Attachments
Screenshot_KLU-jam-rc2.jpg
Screenshot_KLU-jam-rc2.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 19843 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLU-jam Ubuntu Jammy-based

Post by rockedge »

@wiak Super interesting little project system! I am planning on going to KLV-Airedale-rc9 with the newly fine tuned boot components and that will get KLV really stable and finished up so l can dig right in and try some things out with KLU. This is great for ideas since F96 is close to done and radky is back on board and about to share the latest F96 version that we're hammering out the last dents on.

but thought xfce4-screenshooter was there, but isn't... Next time...

Same in KLV and Void Linux! I found out early on in KLV development that xfce4-screenshooter has to be installed separately. That wasn't the case in the first WeeDog64-Void-xfce models where the screenshooter was installed with the rest of the xfce4 desktop components. So the recent PLUG's building xfce4 desktops need to include the command for installation of the screenshooter. It is handy to have from the start and since then we've added in TAS to KLV.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Cool :thumbup2:

Attachments
Screenshot_2023-01-24_15-19-43.png
Screenshot_2023-01-24_15-19-43.png (195.48 KiB) Viewed 20297 times

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I can't get it to connect to ethernet in a QEMU machine at all. Tried several tricks to no avail.

Folder sharing between host and guest is working as expected.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:01 pm

I can't get it to connect to ethernet in a QEMU machine at all. Tried several tricks to no avail.

his wired network does not work, I turn it on via Wi-Fi
installed on flash drive

Attachments
Screenshot_2023-01-24_19-53-39.png
Screenshot_2023-01-24_19-53-39.png (344.07 KiB) Viewed 20238 times

wiak

Post by wiak »

Hardly tried it much on QEMU as yet (other than quick boot test), but I'll check that out and hope to fix by rc2 along with the other minor matters I mentioned in first post - as I said I was brain frazzled, mainly from multiple grub config fixes and tests for KLV-Airedale, but decided to release before I lost it. I did notice it has that doesn't use intended initial wallpaper effect. I remember you had discussion with Fred about that regarding KLV-Airedale, but I didn't follow that closely. It is an odd effect - to do with graphics support somehow (appears to be resolution-related - 1024x768 proving too low; I wonder how to change that for virtual machines...?)? KLU-jam is an important wee distro for me, because we prefer Ubuntu for business use because of various easier to install packages and so this may eventually replace Zorin (still focalfossa-based) for me.

EDIT: Ah... Ethernet... I never use that. I've never studied how Qemu gets its ethernet connection - presumably nothing to do with firmware provided by upup-jammy (I presume not since using underlying host connection - let me know if you find out the details and anything needed added for qemu ethernet support). I use wifi - hope that is working okay from Qemu. Haven't had time to watch it, but interesting looking video on VM Networking here:

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I now checked and not seeing wifi in qemu... I don't know much about qemu so will have to look into these aspects of using it later.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Grey

Post by Grey »

Well, I don't know. This throws me into some... despondency, perhaps. I'm talking about the lack of a clear development plan for one, the main distro. We have some kind of European Union in the Linux world: Germany is a locomotive, France is coming on its heels, Poland wants to get through without a queue at all, and so on. And we also have a bunch of everything, but everything is fuzzy.

Here the people are already making separate distros for their personal use. And I, too, to be honest, made a homemade version of Jammypup for myself. In addition, I look in the direction of MagOS, a little-known Russian system even in Russia. Based on Rosa Linux (based on the French former Mandriva). There are UIRD, KDE (& LXQT), configuration files picked up on the fly, and so on. The password for user and root are set in the conf file not as text, but as a hash. Not convenient, but kind of like security.
rpm and dnfdragora are used to install packages. But most importantly, it is a close relative of Puppy at its core.

Well, okay, I'm Russian - I'm easily distracted, not collected and I hope that everything will be solved by itself :) But someone present should write a plan and follow it in developing a common system. Otherwise, people will start to "run away" from our Association... Union... club of interests.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:29 pm

his wired network does not work, I turn it on via Wi-Fi
installed on flash drive

In KLU-jam booted via qemu, without understanding what I'm doing in terms of how qemu works, I tried the following (temporary workaround):

1. I looked for network interface with command:

Code: Select all

ip address

and noted that 'eth0' was there, but no IP.

2. I ran command:

dhclient eth0

and now got IP address so Qemu guest's Internet then worked. But that's just for the session. I don't know why NetworkManager doesn't do it all - something to do with qemu network setup for sure. I'm lost about that. I suspect I have to install some network-related extra package in KLU-jam, and configure it so qemu guest works with NetworkManager, but I have no idea at present.

Posting from inside the VM guest right now via above eth0 config method. It works, but will be nice to find how to configure networking to work with Qemu guests out of the box though. Not sure when I'll have time myself to study all that though.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:34 pm

I have an economical installation on a flash drive and also no wired network

wiak

Post by wiak »

Grey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:06 pm

Well, I don't know. This throws me into some... despondency, perhaps. I'm talking about the lack of a clear development plan for one, the main distro.
Here the people are already making separate distros for their personal use. And I, too, to be honest, made a homemade version of Jammypup for myself.
But someone present should write a plan and follow it in developing a common system. Otherwise, people will start to "run away" from our Association... Union... club of interests.

Hello Grey. Well, FirstRib-based distro development has continued according to plan since its inception in early 2019; my goodness almost four years ago now!

FirstRib itself isn't at all Puppy Linux, but that's up to whoever develops it.

Kennel Linux has no restrictions on what 'component parts' it uses from this overall forum, but then again all distros are using parts from all over the place so no plan in the Linux world to restrict that anyway.

Yes, there are a growing number of KL bases, started here with Void Linux upstream, then Arch Linux, now Ubuntu. It is not as if old Puppy Linux didn't come in various forms such as Slackware-based, Debian-based, and Ubuntu-based, and dabbled with parts/repos from a few other upstream distros. Nobody ran away. No-one needs to use (or even read about) any distro they don't want to of course. And there has always been tons of user-made remasters.

I don't myself do much development at all nowadays related to Puppy Linux distro. I stick with what I prefer. Some use DebianDogs (I did for years too - and gave up using Puppy Linux back then in 2013 when DD became available), some use FatDog, some use EasyOS - did they run away because of that choice?

Fact is there are a lot of good distros out there indeed - the audience for distros on this forum has probably shrunk a lot therefore, but we have to try and entice one or two more. Ubuntu Jammy is certainly an important base at current time - so many app developers target Ubuntu first, but sometimes you need apt working perfectly well and multi-user capability (and on this forum we like frugal install) to benefit and KLU-jam can do all of that in a small download size.

But, don't worry, per usual if a distro I release isn't used, gets hardly any feedback, or is objected to, I don't publish it further and keep it in my house! Too much work otherwise. Weedogit basically went that vanishing way for that kind of reason, though it may become available in improved form later - or may not, who knows - don't want you to run away!!! ;-) Trouble with weedogit was that it allowed users to easily frugal install just about anything by using FirstRib initrd - so only small distro download size left as a special attraction of the likes of Puppy then alas. And maybe through weedogit, some users became hooked on other distros they thus tried out?... I don't know. Is that running away? Is this forum a prison or some kind of Gulag?; I think not - we are not tied or chained or stuck in any small cage.

For my needs and wishes at least, KLU-jam was missing. Therefore I made it, and others can thus try it out if they so wish. I hope its existence is not found threatening in some odd way, or should I just keep it to myself, which would be fine too?

However, thanks for the interest you have shown despite your post being more than a little off-topic.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:42 pm
wiak wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:34 pm

I have an economical installation on a flash drive and also no wired network

Yes, I have similar installations, using frugal install to my hard drive, also using iso on Ventoy usb stick, and also iso on SG2D usb stick. NetworkManager finds my wifi on all these non-virtual-machine installs. Only issue is with Qemu for me. I don't have physical ethernet. If that isn't working in frugal install on physical machine then I'd guess firmware, but my understanding is that rockedge simply didn't get ethernet connection in Qemu, which is same for me.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I really wish I knew how to get higher resolution (bigger window included) for Qemu guest. Googling didn't provide me with any obvious answer to that really.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I'm away from my computer for some while after today. Have been spending too much time on it developing grub configs and doing resulting iso test builds for KLV-Airedale. Looking forward to rc9 release with these new configs. I hope they all prove successful. Frankly my brain needs a long rest right now and my body is screaming out for exercise - sitting too long (very long...) is not good for the health.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:13 pm

Frankly my brain needs a long rest right now and my body is screaming out for exercise - sitting too long (very long...) is not good for the health.

absolutely right :thumbup2:

Grey

Post by Grey »

wiak wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:12 pm

I really wish I knew how to get higher resolution (bigger window included) for Qemu guest. Googling didn't provide me with any obvious answer to that really.

The easiest thing is to press Alt+Ctrl+F and expand to full screen. And then in the OS itself to set the desired resolution. Systems with KDE at the same time automatically know how to change the screen resolution when switching Qemu to full-screen mode and back. But our operating systems and experiments with them usually do not have such luxury :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak This did work and connect eth0 and I can install GParted.

dhclient eth0

I was wondering why I couldn't install GParted, turns out it was no connection to eth0! Now APT installed it and I was able to partition the qcow2 HDD to ext4 and set the boot flag.

I set up Firefox by transferring a Firefox tarball from the host machine after setting up Shared Folders with the QEMU machine.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Grey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:35 pm

Systems with KDE at the same time automatically know how to change the screen resolution when switching Qemu to full-screen mode and back.

It means that the system running inside Qemu should be with KDE, not the main one.

rockedge wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 pm

I was wondering why I couldn't install GParted, turns out it was no connection to eth0!

I recently removed cover from the computer case to understand why it does not turn on. And it turned out that someone pulled the plug out of the socket :)

Therefore, it is advisable to use a network manager that has an icon in the system tray with two small screens, the blinking of which shows that something is being loaded (lower screen) and is being given (upper).

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 pm

@wiak This did work and connect eth0 and I can install GParted.

dhclient eth0

I was wondering why I couldn't install GParted, turns out it was no connection to eth0! Now APT installed it and I was able to partition the qcow2 HDD to ext4 and set the boot flag.

I set up Firefox by transferring a Firefox tarball from the host machine after setting up Shared Folders with the QEMU machine.

As I said, that dhclient to get IP address method only works for current Qemu session. On reboot you have to do it again. However, on a hunch I decided to install dhcpcd5, so I needed dhclient eth0 to use Internet and thus apt, so did the following:

dhclient eth0
apt update && apt install dhcpcd5

Then I rebooted the VM and etho automatically had IP address and could connect to Internet with no further user interactive required, so all fine for this default Qemu etho network method (apparently there are better ways to connect network to VMs more generally - e.g. via tap). Obviously I had to use savefolder (persistence) for this to work. I will probably include dhcpcd5 in next release since seems to do the trick... Note that I actually have no idea what process is running the dhcp client request in the guest, but something must be when dhcpcd5 is installed! I won't worry about it.

Nothing to do with NetworkManager I now realise - that does nothing in VM with KLV-Airedale in it either...

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak Ahhh yes...very cool :thumbup2:

I will adjust in a moment, first I am uploading KLV-Airedale-rc9 as soon as I have done a quick test in QEMU.....then back to KLU-jam :ugeek:

UPDATE: KLV rc9 is ready for download in the usual places. I need a xbps -> deb convertor!

Working on adding SFS-Load capability. GParted installed and I formatted the HDD rebooted and direct write to /Session/ started smoothly.

That's right, NetworkManager isn't controlling the network virtual devices in QEMU. I have tried out TAP but eth0 is more like starting on a physical machine it seems, and is quick and easy to setup

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:28 am

UPDATE: KLV rc9 is ready for download in the usual places. I need a xbps -> deb convertor!

Yes. Just like you have an xbps creation utility, DebianDogs offer a convenient deb package creation utility, so you just need xbps extractor and dep package creator combined (or maybe better kept as separate utilities - I think the DD deb creator could just be copied into KL distros - in fact I think I used to use it in WDL_Arch64 (had it in my /usr/local/bin there).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak that's a good idea. I do have xdeb in KLV placed in /usr/local/bin that ocnverts .deb to .xbps which I have used from time to time.

I could just extract and make a .deb using @fredx181's tools or use F96 to prepare the xbps to deb which also has the tools in Pkg and included.

Phil_54

Post by Phil_54 »

@wiak

But, don't worry, per usual if a distro I release isn't used, gets hardly any feedback, or is objected to, I don't publish it further and keep it in my house! Too much work otherwise. Weedogit basically went that vanishing way for that kind of reason, though it may become available in improved form later - or may not, who knows - don't want you to run away!!! ;-) Trouble with weedogit was that it allowed users to easily frugal install just about anything by using FirstRib initrd - so only small distro download size left as a special attraction of the likes of Puppy then alas. And maybe through weedogit, some users became hooked on other distros they thus tried out?... I don't know. Is that running away? Is this forum a prison or some kind of Gulag?; I think not - we are not tied or chained or stuck in any small cage.

For my needs and wishes at least, KLU-jam was missing.

In my recent .iso travels I have come and gone and come back to puppy/dogs/KLV. For other distro's Antix was closest in terms of processor load, but not quite right for me, Zorin-light just worked but possibly too big. Your weedogit was just so much fun, and if you hadn't pulled it, I would still be wasting time exploring places I would never return to. I am in danger of becoming a distro junkie (too late? :? ), like coffee made from freshly ground beans. (mmm!). I bought a bean-to-cup machine last year, and when house hunting in recent weeks, the need for space in any kitchen for such a machine has become paramount!
Anyway, I digress, thank you again for keeping the kennel alive with this latest KLU. Downloaded and yet to try it, but anticipation is part of the joy.
I use KLV_Airedale by preference ATM, and will try rockedge's latest too. May need my bespoke set up. We'll see.
Please take care of yourself.

2013 Toshiba chromebook, 2Gb ram, and SDcard :geek:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak For screen resolution in KLV's xfce4 I use Settings->Display and just set the values in the GUI. The VNC automatically adjusts. I found one system I have does use the QEMU internal vnc and creates the window with the system in it. This will also auto adjust itself as I set the screen res via the GUI controls.

Also going to full screen and then again using Settings->Display set the res to match the monitor size

Phil_54

Post by Phil_54 »

short feedback.
Launches ok from my SDcard.
Suspend works and laptop lid seems to be ok (no reboot on opening), but need to test longer.
Portable browsers work fine.
Forgot to use save2flash first couple of launches, but that now works fine.
Ram useage level ok.
I like the minimal content. I installed synaptic and that seems ok too.

Good work. Thanks.

2013 Toshiba chromebook, 2Gb ram, and SDcard :geek:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

First of all, let's update the list of packages: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Let's add additional "plugins" components with the command: sudo apt-get install xfce4-goodies
sudo apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

Dropdown terminal in XFCE :xfce4-terminal --drop-down to start, write on the hot key.It is very convenient

Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:47 am

First of all, let's update the list of packages: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Let's add additional "plugins" components with the command: sudo apt-get install xfce4-goodies
sudo apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

The whisker menu is lovely. I use it as supplied on Zorin OS lite. I recommended its use in KLV-Airedale, but accepted that it did use slightly more RAM, but it is available in KLV-Airedale for those who choose to activate it.

I'm trying to keep KLU-jam as a slim base (as slim as it is anyway) since is easy to add anything via apt anyway. Of course that requires using savefolder persistence (including if using Qemu or Ventoy or SG2D), but like KLV-Airedale, KLU-jam works fine with savefolders with all these mechanisms. Neverthess I'll certainly consider additions like whiskermenu amongst others in mind for next release.

Mainly I'm more concerned with more general configuration matters right now. Autologin for example. Currently in my dev version I am now auto-starting X and testing autologin; I'll probably do things that way rather than bother with any display manager per se (these take up too much somewhat unnecessary space usually). I'm also planning to 'fix' the minor annoyances I pointed out that were still in rc1 release. Thereafter I'll try and reach a stable rc base version and think it would be better thereafter for a KLU-jamCE (larger Community Release) version to become the dominant release as a side extra of that (that's were the 'extras' can best be accommodated I feel, though system level extras such as, say, sfs-load on the fly would also be fed back into base release version). Very small 'extras' such as involving simple scripts with gtdialog and/or yad can be included in base of course too.

But if you are configuring the likes of whiskermenu in any particular way, and have backgrounds you like included in CE, then some of that may be put into base anyway so please submit anything developed for later inclusion in either base and/or CE version release. I also have it in mind to make a Wayland/Pipewire alternative base release since that is easy to incorporate (but not so easy to make as functional as we have become used to via the likes of XFCE, which doesn't support Wayland unfortunately).

A strong point of all FR initrd-based distros is that the same normal frugal, Ventory, SG2D and Qemu boot and save mechanisms (including sfs and normal directories as addon layers) all work identically, which helps us write system utility apps that are compatible with all such distros.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

whiskermenu is activated in KLV, it's on the end of the top panel #2.

I am also experimenting with autologin because like KLV it's nice to not have the login manager but still log in to another user when needed.

The xfce4-goodies has the screenshot program among other things. Similar to how KLV is set up.

I might have SFS-Load working, but I need to tidy that up.

I was looking for the Ubuntu Firstrib logo but I only have the 30px version for the FR forum.

logo_weedog_Ubuntu_30px.png
logo_weedog_Ubuntu_30px.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 18743 times

Wayland and Pipewire will be a goal in KLV as well. Should cut our teeth getting that running on KLU-jam

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:07 am

I was looking for the Ubuntu Firstrib logo but I only have to 30px version for the FR forum.
logo_weedog_Ubuntu_30px.png

Using the likes of Inkscape, you can extract it out of the old svg WDL Ubuntu background image attached (remove dummy tar).

Attachments
weedog_Arch_tinylinuxinfo.svg.tar
(26.05 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
weedog_Void_tinylinuxinfo.svg.tar
(33 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
weedog_Ubuntu_tinylinuxinfo.svg.tar
(35.53 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:thumbup:

Attachments
Logo_Ubuntu_transparent_5.png
Logo_Ubuntu_transparent_5.png (6.23 KiB) Viewed 18602 times
logo_Ubuntu_transparent_4.png
logo_Ubuntu_transparent_4.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 18603 times
logo_Ubuntu_transparent-3.png
logo_Ubuntu_transparent-3.png (4.66 KiB) Viewed 18623 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “KLU-jam”