How to transfer files using a browser in spot? (solved)

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Maybe

How to transfer files using a browser in spot? (solved)

Post by Maybe »

Hey!

I understand that spot mode restricts some of the web browser's powers and thus protects the user.
Please tell me, is it possible, for example, to upload photos to google photos through a browser or transfer files via whatsapp web using a browser in spot mode?
I can't do it :roll:

From Dmitry (Russia)

Last edited by Maybe on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feek

Re: How to transfer files using a browser in spot?

Post by Feek »

I use browsers running as spot. The only accessible location for/from the browser is /home/spot.
Downloading using a browser is therefore only possible to the /home/spot location. Similarly, when uploading files using a browser, I must first place them in /home/spot.

It has one disadvantage when you are in pupmode 13 for example and you almost never save. Everything you place (or copy from some storage) to /home/spot in a running session is actually stored in ram (in pupmode 13).
This placement in /home/spot is only temporary as the file may be deleted after uploading.
However, if it's a big file and your ram is low, then it might be a problem.
Perhaps this could be solved by placing a large file in /home/spot and pressing the save button. This would temporarily save this file to the save folder. After uploading, it would be removed from the save folder (I would back up the save first to be safe).
Or another option would be to run the browser as root only exceptionally to upload (or download) a large file.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

The Spot Folder can be anywhere so long as it has the proper permissions. MikeWalsh's Brave-portable64 runs as Spot. It's LAUNCH script, used to start it reads in pertinent part:
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE/spot" 2> /dev/null
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE/spot/Brave-Browser" 2> /dev/null
#
chown -R spot:spot "$HERE/brave"
chown -R spot:spot "$HERE/lib"
chown -R spot:spot "$HERE/PROFILE/spot"
#
Color Supplied for emphasis.

Although the Script does not create either a Download or an Upload folder, you can manually create them within the /spot folder it does create. The next time you start Brave via its LAUNCH script, the Download and Upload folders within ITS spot folder will have the proper permissions. You can then change your settings under Brave to download to THAT /spot/Download folder and if you locate a file in THAT /spot's /upload folder Brave can access it to upload.

I just tested this with a download. See attached noting the path to the download folder which contains the small file I downloaded as a test:

Test.png
Test.png (23.62 KiB) Viewed 243 times

Untested --but I have no reason to doubt-- that if you place a file in 'Brave's' /spot/Upload folder or even anywhere within Brave's /spot folder you can use Brave to upload it.

Some of MikeWalsh's other portables may work in the same way.

p.s. Mike's Brave-portable can be obtained here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 662#p59662. You can Bookmark its spot &/or Upload folder making it easy to access. Some Puppys have a Right-Click 'Copy-to' option. I'm not sure, but doubt, whether Brave's "Clear Browsing Data" or any Extension will delete any files in /spot. So check.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Maybe :-

I put together a small utility a few years back specifically for transferring files in & out of 'spot'. You can find it here, if you're interested:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=6542

Download link is supplied at the bottom of the post.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

IIRC, Mike's Spot2Root application is written to 'move' files into and out-of /home/spot. It can be used AS-IS. But make certain (a) your web-browser's setting for Download is to /home/spot/Download; and (b) there are folders named Download and Upload in the /home/spot folder.

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:33 am

@Maybe :-

I put together a small utility a few years back specifically for transferring files in & out of 'spot'. You can find it here, if you're interested:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=6542

Download link is supplied at the bottom of the post.

Mike. ;)

Hello Mike,
I've used your link above which takes me to the page with the download link. However, clicking on this link takes me here.
https://forum.puppylinux.com/%5Bb%5D%5B ... 5D%5B/b%5D
Which is a forum page which looks like the image below.
I've tried opening in a new tab and in a new window and even in a different browser but with out success. Could you check the link please and if that is OK can you give me any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
page.png
page.png (8.93 KiB) Viewed 147 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@keniv :-

Thanks for the 'heads-up', Ken.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the link.......but I've deleted it, and re-created it slightly differently. It's working now.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm

@keniv :-

Thanks for the 'heads-up', Ken.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the link.......but I've deleted it, and re-created it slightly differently. It's working now.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that. I still could not get it to work with palemoon which is v32.0.0. It gives an "unsupported browser" error. You can click this error window off and continue but it does not download. Used your portable firefox and download went OK. Don't really understand this as palemoon is set up for "firefox compatability". However, I also tried using firefox when I used the previous link and as you know it didn't work for me. Anyway have installed your .pet and have tested it for a download and it worked fine. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Ken.

Return to “Users”