What browser for VAIO with 256 MB RAM?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GusCE6

What browser for VAIO with 256 MB RAM?

Post by GusCE6 »

Well, I guess many here know I'm trying to get a better browsing experience with that crummy new Deviantart website style.

I'm trying to use a 2001 Sony VAIO 256MB Pentium 3 800 MHz device. It has Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid. The demands of this distro are the practical limits.

So- are there any preferably portable browsers able to handle that site that will work in Puppy Linux mode?

If not- using Palemoon 28 Windows version via WINE is too slow. Is there any way to speed up things using WINE I do not know about?

Thank you, my time is almost up here...

lizardidi

Re: What browser for VAIO with 256 MB RAM?

Post by lizardidi »

Have you try Seamonkey or Slimjet?

Seamonkey is based on Firefox while Slimjet is based on Chrome.

Both run considerably well on my 2006 laptop.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@lizardidi :-

You're wasting your time.....because Gus has no intention of even trying to listen to you. He's been asking this very same question in different ways for well over 2 years, and still doesn't understand that the days of 256 MB and a Pentium III running everything with resources to spare are LONG gone.

Puppy itself needs the entire resources of the machine, if not more. Any browser will want the entire resources of the machine, if not more. It stands to reason that you can't run both at once.

We try and help folks to resurrect some of the oldest hardware you can imagine, but even Pup has its limits. It can't work miracles.

That Sony Vaio WILL NOT CONNECT TO AND DISPLAY DEVIANTART THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO. Simple as that.

End of discussion.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

512MB for a reasonably modern browser with reasonable compromises with relative slowness. 256MB is near impossible and I tried. It gave up and killed itself and that's with puppy's modified firefox browser.
If you wish, get yourself the latest source code of elinks, or get a copy of source code from the forked elinks on github. You may choose JS but there will certainly be no images, so you'll to download the images and use an image viewer.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Return to “Beginners Help”