MikeWalsh’s WineAppImage Framework

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

MikeWalsh’s WineAppImage Framework

Post by mikeslr »

Edit: Current Link to MikeWalsh's Wine-portables, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 191#p68191 using the recipe set out below.

Here [finally after much debate as to who should publish and an arm-wrestling contest I lost] is Mike Walsh’s Framework for using Wine AppImages.

Framework-portablize-Wine.AppImage.tar.gz
(98.16 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

Wine AppImages can be used with any 64-bit Puppy*. NO 32-BIT COMPATIBILIITY SFS REQUIRED. The major downside of Wine AppImages is that, under Puppsys, they create a wine-prefix of about 500 Mbs in /root, and Mono if installed adds another 500+ Mbs. Those figures don’t include the additional space required by programs you install.

MikeWalsh’s Framework avoids that. It fully portablizes the use of Wine AppImages. They, their wine-prefix, and any programs you install will be in an external-to-Puppy-Space Folder. Most likely you’ll locate the folder on /mnt/home. But you can put it anywhere, even on a USB-Key. Except for a few links and the Menu entries it adds it will not require any RAM when not in use. As a portable, you can easily copy it (and the Window programs you installed), transfer it, and use it from multiple Puppys. All that would be necessary is that you again run the WINE-Link script.

How to use:

Download the framework and extract the tar.gz. Within the Extraction folder will be a folder named Wine-portable. Move this Wine-portable folder wherever you like.
Download a Wine.AppImage. Below you find a list of URLs where you’ll find them. Most were previously linked-to by others on the Forum. AFAIK as of this date the list includes all currently available publishers. Browsing from a link may lead to other Wine.AppImages by that publisher.

Move the Wine.AppImage you downloaded into the WINE folder you’ll find within the Wine-portable folder.

Structure.png
Structure.png (45.94 KiB) Viewed 4260 times

Right-Click the Wine.AppImage and rename it to just ‘WINE64’ –without the quotes: Right-Click>Rename.
Make the AppImage executable: Right-Click>Properties, put ‘x’s’ in all boxes under the Exec Title.

Make sure you have an internet connection as files will have to be downloaded to create the wine-prefix.

During the above setup you may be asked if you want to install Mono. See this post, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 318#p67318, scan down to Step 9 for information about that. Depending on your Wine-version you may also be offered the opportunity to install gecko. It is also discussed in the aforementioned Step 9.

Left-Click the WINE-Link script.

At the conclusion of the setup winecfg is automatically run. It defaults to Windows 7, but you can change that at this time; or at any time later by opening Menu>Utility> Wine Config.

That’s it. You’re good to go. Your Start menu will have several new entries to some builtin Wine programs which may be useful.

FYI, for example if you need to create Menu listing for programs you install, the wine-prefix is within the wine-portable/WINE/wine folder. Or if you want to install additional fonts, you would place them in wine-portable/WINE/wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts.

Winetricks is not available. It is actually a Linux application developed to make the installation of some programs into a Wine-prefix easier. My cursory scan of the internet suggests that all Wine AppImages present it with problems. [But you're free to do your own exploration]. Wine itself, however, has progressed so now more actual Windows programs can now be downloaded and installed than when Wine first appeared. And, of course, Window portables continue to often be a better option than installing the equivalents. AFAIK, the things which were available under winetricks had no effect on portables.

Current Links to Wine AppImages:

https://github.com/ferion11/Wine_Appimage/releases : Wine version 5.11

https://github.com/ferion11/Proton_Appimage/releases : Wine version 4.2

https://github.com/Hackerl/Wine_Appimage/releases/
: Wine version 3.0 and earlier including one identified as an appimage for wine32

https://github.com/mmtrt/Wine_Appimage/releases : Wine versions 7.17 Staging, 4.0.4 and 4.0.4 32-bit

mmtrt’s 7.17 staging is NOT recommended. I consumes twice the ‘Storage’ space, has a significant delay before programs opened, and required that I configure wine to ‘run-as’ Windows 7 rather than XP for several programs. But only mmtrt has published an AppImage newer than Wine version 5 and appears to be the only one currently still publishing AppImages. Worth checking to see what he’s offering from time to time.

ferion11’s Wine version 5.11 is highlighted. On my computer it is the ‘sweet-spot’: Offering the latest version of Wine (not wine-stagging) and quickly opening all of my Windows programs that I tested under it.

-=--=--=--=-=-
* You'll find some 32-bit Wine AppImages by searching the above websites. I have not explored their use with the Framework. The Framework's scripts might require some editing. But I suggest sticking with either just installing one of version2013's pets, or using one of the portables based on Shinobar & the Japanese Teams structure. 32-bit Puppys don't incur the problem of having to configure a 32-bit compatibility environment.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Re: MikeWalsh’s WineAppImage Framework

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

Nicely put, Michael. How was it you put it? "You're better at building them.....and I'm better at explaining them?"

Be that as it may, I originally developed this set-up due to one main reason. That reason being my much-loved "daily driver".....Barry's elderly Quirky64 'April' 7.0.1, given the 'lite' treatment by jrb.

Barry built two versions of this; a 32-bit, and a 64-bit. I think the idea was that you ran the 32-bit version for 32-bit apps, ditto the 64-bit one for 64-bit apps. I don't think Barry had any intention of going to all the trouble of building 32-bit compatibility into the 64-bit version. You ran the appropriate version, and that was it.

Traditionally, we usually run the 32-bit version of WINE, even under 64-bit Puppies. 64-bit builds of WINE just don't seem to function properly for us. That being the case, 32-bit builds were out of the question for Quirky64, because of having no 32-bit compat_libs SFS to make use of.

So; I'd given up on using my favourite PhotoScape in Quirky. Until, that is, @trister found those two AppImages over at Github. I didn't realise it at the time, but the "64-bit" AppImages were in fact intended to run 32-bit WINE, albeit in a 64-bit environment.....so they did have the required 32-bit compatibility built-in. And so it proved.

I don't normally use Shinobar's portable-WINE, which always uses 32-bit WINE. For reasons that escape me, I'd always had 'issues' with it. My own solution, as you're aware, was to largely "externalize" WINE to an external partition, then make up a script that sym-linked everything into the expected locations. Which allows sharing between multiple Puppies. It's always worked well for me, but it's not an easy thing to build into a package. Not everyone has the huge amounts of storage I've got!

Since I've spent so much time building 'portable' stuff in recent years, I thought I'd try a portable build with these 64-bit WINE AppImages. Despite not having Shinobar's scripting skills, I felt sure there was a simpler way of implementing these things in a 'portable environment'. The result is more like traditional WINE; there's no program 'launcher' built-in, so you need to make up your own Menu entries, as we always used to with version2013's builds. But the entire set-up IS self-contained, so with the exception of Menu entries you CAN move it, lock, stock & barrel.

Thinking about it, if you always run a regular 'set' of apps, it wouldn't be hard to add these into the 'menuadd'/'menuremove' scripts.....and then they'll get automatically added-in when the portable is linked into the system via the WINE-link script.

----------------------------

With this setup, the individual only needs to source their preferred AppImage of WINE, rename it and drop it in, then run the LINK script. And off ya go.....

It's not perfect, but then precious little in life ever is. But it works. :D

T'other Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

"but the "64-bit" AppImages were in fact intended to run 32-bit WINE, albeit in a 64-bit environment." I think that's a clue as to why winetricks doesn't work.

One thing I just realized today. If you have the space and reason, you don't have to choose which AppImage to use. You can WINE-Remove one, then WINE-Link the other. No reboot or restart is necessary.

You may recall a program named Cut-Assistant. It could be used with VirtualDub in the cutting of videos. Using VirtualDub you could select a series of portions of a video to cut. But then you'd have to combine them. Cut-Assistant worked sort-of-like a front end to VirtualDub. Rather than serially cutting clips out of a video, Cut-Assistant kept track of the cuts (either to be included or excluded) then performed all the cuts at one time and combined those you selected to keep as its output.

Well, thru Wine Version 3, it wouldn't even start. But it did open using either the Wine 5 or Wine-Staging 7 AppImage run from your framework. I couldn't remember which. Having both already setup gave me the idea as to how to easily test running Cut-Assistant under both.

Don't be too overjoyed about Cut-Assistant, however. Except for complaining about not being able to reach some website it appeared fully responsive and configurable under both Wine 5.11 and Wine-Staging 7. However, it reported an error trying to open every video regardless of container used. I think their codex may be too new.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

For the use-case as suggested, I would nowadays suggest LosslessCut, from mifi.....to be found over at GitHub:-

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

Based around the ever-amazing ffmpeg, it's like Avidemux on super-steroids. It's come a LONG way from the early versions we tested on the old forum a few years ago, discovered by labbe5.....and best of all, it's a native Linux app.

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=112245

The early builds were pretty basic, and somewhat buggy. The current build, however - v3.46.2 - is just about the most sophisticated video "trimmer" I've yet found - easily on a par with some of Adobe's top-end, big-budget applications .....and it'll still run under Quirky64, which is Tahrpup-era (or just afterwards).

The 'portable' version can be found here:-

viewtopic.php?t=3375

T'other Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, guys'n'gals.

Here's a couple of packages - based around the 'framework' - that are all ready to go.

• A 64-bit build with the WINE 5.11 AppImage

• A 32-bit build with the WINE 4.0.4 AppImage

Mikeslr was right about one thing; the 32-bit build required quite a bit of modification, due to the linked root 'prefix' directory having a rather different name to what we're used to. Not /root/.wine, rather /root/.wine-appimage. Not insurmountable, though. And since there's only the one 32-bit build I can find that actually works, it's the one I've used here.

Download 'em; unpack 'em. Put the portable-WINE directory anywhere ya like, though preferably outside the save.....the 64-bit AppImage, in particular, is far bigger than the older 32-bit one; almost 300 MB as opposed to around 88 MB!

Then, just hit the WINE-Link script, and follow the usual set-up instructions.....

--------------------------------

If anyone's interested, you can find them here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/uOAAnJwK#1UuLhPF5dDisRgS5xNJdQA

Navigate through, and help yourselves to the one you want. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

don570

Post by don570 »

I made a pet package for Easy Os using your hard work. Thanks!!

I found a couple of things.

In menuadd script...

Code: Select all

# ./menuadd
cp: cannot create regular file '/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types/application_x-ms-dos-executable': No such file or directory

This may be a Easy Os problem which is why I made a pinstall.sh script instead

./menuadd: line 26: sleep1: command not found]
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@don570 :-

Glad you like it. And thanks for the heads-up, BTW; I've fixed that space in the sleep statement, and re-uploaded.

I've only tried EasyOS once; I don't even remember whether or not it HAS the 'rox.sourceforge.net' directory in /root/.config. As you say, it could well be an EasyOS-specific issue; probably to do with permissions, and the way in which Barry has set those 'containers' up.

Still; this thing should work pretty much anywhere, I would think.

Cheers.

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Re: Window executable won't run OOTB

Post by mikeslr »

@ don570 & MikeWalsh,

I ran into the issue don570 mentioned setting up portable Wine-WINE 5.11 under VanillaDpup. Although menuadd includes this line

cp $HERE/DATA/menu/application_x-ms-dos-executable /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types/application_x-ms-dos-executable

for some reason it 'didn't take'. I had to Right-Click an exe>Set Run action> use command and type in wine32 before the @. After I did, .config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types/ showed application_x-ms-dos-executable and window executables could run as expected.

No such problem when running Fossapup64 pfix=ram. So I don't know why the script didn't work under VanillaDpup and EasyOS.

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
don570

Post by don570 »

Still; this thing should work pretty much anywhere, I would think.

Yes, The portable version worked nicely. The only problem was the double clicking on an 'exe' file
which should launch the app in ROX filer.

mikeslr

Re: MikeWalsh’s WineAppImage Framework Under 32bit Puppys?

Post by mikeslr »

The possibility of using this, and explanation how, was discussed here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 663#p78663

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

This portable is fantastic! I just ran one of my external audio hardware utilities using it, and now I can just copy the portable directory to a usb stick and use it on my other machines.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

geo_c wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:01 am

This portable is fantastic! I just ran one of my external audio hardware utilities using it, and now I can just copy the portable directory to a usb stick and use it on my other machines.

@geo_c :-

Nice to hear it works for you, mate. It's not as fancy as Shinobar's WINE-portable, which scans for all the .exe files and presents them as a list of 'launchers' - there's a little bit of manual skulduggery required for Menu entries & such - but it's the easiest way I've ever found for using WINE in Puppy.

We all have to work within our capabilities, y'know? :D

Mike. ;)

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:17 pm

Nice to hear it works for you, mate. It's not as fancy as Shinobar's WINE-portable, which scans for all the .exe files and presents them as a list of 'launchers' - there's a little bit of manual skulduggery required for Menu entries & such - but it's the easiest way I've ever found for using WINE in Puppy.

We all have to work within our capabilities, y'know? :D

Mike. ;)

Well I like the contained nature of this one. Once I figured out to use the wine File Explorer and look in /Programs for the installed .exe, it was smooth sailing from there. And the wine menu entries are nice to launch the whole thing.

Now I'm curious to see if it's possible to run H&R Block Tax Software on it.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Fortunately, doing your own taxes is not yet compulsory for us here in the UK. HM Treasury have had the option available for a few years, for those that feel up to it - :lol: - but from the overall rumblings amongst the general populace, I think it'll be several years yet before we have to do this stuff for ourselves on this side of the Pond.....

We shall see! Let us know if you DO have any luck with that, please.

Mike. ;)

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

HRBlock tax software will open in current WINE and doesnt crash, unfortunately it wont let you update via the web (program demands this to let you proceed) and it wont let you enter necessary info. I did find one mention on web from five (maybe more) year ago that somebody claimed they got it to work with Codeweavers version WINE and it may worked that one year, but you couldnt prove it by me. I downloaded the trial version of Codeweavers and nope, just same as with latest standard WINE. Most of Codeweaver work seem oriented at getting games functional, not other windows software. Now to be fair, Codeweavers has contributed greatly to WINE progress, they dont just hoard their improvements to WINE coding. But struck me that mostly what you get with Codeweavers version is a fancy slick frontend for WINE.

You are probably best off either keeping windows on separate partition or SSD and booting it to run HRBLOCK, or if you use windows for other things, perhaps install it and run it in a virtual machine. There are unofficial n-lited versions windows on web that are significantly smaller than what you get from M$ but still probably run HRBlock. HRBlock is not particualarly resource intensive. Its just running virtual machine can be, since in effect you are running two operating systems at same time and windows is pretty bloated. I know I havent had much luck getting PrimeOS (aka Android x86) running in virtual machine on laptop with only 4GB RAM. Though could be something peculiar with it I am just not understanding, since I did get Bodhi Linux running in virtual machine on same computer as a test. Its slow but it works fine. And I did get PrimeOS (Android x86) working fine booted off its own partition just not in virtual machine.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

The 2022 version of Turbotax also did not run under Wine. It didn't even get as far as HRBlock.

FWIW --if you can't or won't keep Windows just to prepare taxes-- OpenTaxSolver was available. But it had limitations. The main ones were that you could not e-file, and it would only handle a few State returns. A time-consuming work-around is to use OpenTaxSolver to print returns for reference, then use direct e-filing for Federal and such States as offer it.

Or don't wait until the last minute and file via 'snail-mail'.

sfein1000

Post by sfein1000 »

Most tax software have web versions as well. Turbotax definitely does as does TaxAct. Some people prefer local storage and that's very understandable, but on the end if you e-file, you're sending over the internet anyway.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

sfein1000 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:50 pm

Most tax software have web versions as well. Turbotax definitely does as does TaxAct. Some people prefer local storage and that's very understandable, but on the end if you e-file, you're sending over the internet anyway.

LOL, if you owe money, why would you efile to help transfer money to govt as quick as possible??? And if they owe you money, just file as early as you have necessary info to file. Dont know that you will get your refund any quicker either way. They take their time sending out refunds. As long as its postmarked April 15, doesnt matter when they actually receive it. I use HRBlock cause they sell the software for deep discount around Black Friday sales after Thanksgiving. This is for the Fed and State and no having to mess doing anything manually, it also imports tax returns from previous years if you point it to them. Its a bit of a luxury. I truly have no patience anymore doing this with sharp pencil and pad scratch paper and reading all the crazy annoying instructions. Obviously whoever designs tax forms doesnt think most individuals will attempt it themselves. Though I used to do it that way back in the day.

Now there used to be a third computer software called TaxAct. And it was even cheaper and had all state returns. I actually got it working one year in WINE when it sniffed and refused to run on XP anymore. I think it probably could still run on XP if not for that sniff test. Then TaxAct got sold to somebody else and they jacked prices to same level as TurboTax so lost my interest. They stopped offering the deep discount if you bought it previous June if I remember. I bet they lost lot customers with the big price jump, as it was the cheap option for long time and people willing to pay through the nose just buy Turbo Tax. If Tax Act still exists, no idea if it still works in WINE, it did that one year. Though needed just the exact version IE and other nonsense. Took me like three days getting it working in WINE and so not worth it. Thats when I found out win10 could be run unactivated so replaced XP with it. And now win11 will run on that same old Pentium4 computer.... LOL Works well enough for once a year taxes.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

mouldy: "LOL, if you owe money, why would you efile* to help transfer money to govt as quick as possible???...I truly have no patience anymore doing this with sharp pencil and pad scratch paper and reading all the crazy annoying instructions..."

I was the same way; but had two** other good reason. (1) General Rule 1: 'Never put off 'till tomorrow what you can put off 'till the day after tomorrow. (2) On the evening of April 15th my local Post Office provided free coffee and donuts to those waiting in line. :lol:

-=-=-=-
* A friend of mine, a wily accountant who had worked for the IRS recommended against e-filing so as to reduce the chance of being audited. If you e-file, everything is on the IRS's computer. If you file papers examining your return involves more work. No one wants to work more; so agents choose easier returns to examine. My corollary: That's also why the IRS is more likely to hound 'Mom & Pop' than take on those in the Top 1%.

** Well, TBH, somewhere along the line I created a spreadsheet that did all the computations. Each year the Fed and my State identified the provisions which changed from the year before. So it was easy to update the spreadsheet. I still used an updated version when working with TaxSolver.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Post office used to stay open until stroke of midnight for the true procrastinators, guaranteeing all returns mailed at last moment, would be postmarked April 15. They dont do that anymore, just regular hours. Not enough people filing by mail. Times change I guess. Oh and there used to be multiple regional addresses for IRS to send return depending where you live. I think there is just one for whole country now. So few paper returns they dont need more than one. And suspect they know vast majority sending a paper return owe money. With a few die hards that either dont have computer or just some old coots prefer doing things way they always have.

The software prints out the filled in forms. I remember when you went to PO or library to get forms if they didnt send yearly booklet with correct forms included. I dont think they do that anymore. If you dont have a computer suppose you can make snail mail request to govt for forms or go to library and they will print off forms for a small fee. Thouugh saw on tv recent years tends to be some local "tax preparation charity" if you make under certain yearly income ($60k?) and they will do your taxes and efile for you for free. Honestly you hit that deep discount sale on HRBlock and Fed/state software is $20. Depends if you hit deepest discount day (can even go under $20), thats not always easy but not hard to find it offered under $25, that usually happens multiple times between Black Friday and April 15. Full retail price is like $40 to $50 but suspect few pay that. Worth it to me not having to go anywhere or deal with people. Yes software offers to either efile for free or print necessary forms filled in along with mailing instructions. And alas you cant use the software anymore without an internet connection cause it insists on checking for any updates even if you dont efile. If there are then it downloads whole new version, doesnt just download changes. So if you have a slow connection...

mikeslr

Re: MikeWalsh’s WineAppImage Framework - Menus

Post by mikeslr »

Instructions for creating Menu-entries for 'User-Chosen' Programs that run under MikeWalsh's WineAppImage Framework are provided here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 53#p104353

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

edited ....nevermind made a mistake in how to initialize one of these with the framewrk...

further edit... successful in running wine 5.x above in framework in F96-CE and tested successfully with old Google Sketchup8.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

vtpup

Problem with 5.11 version in Bookworm

Post by vtpup »

I'm trying the Wine 5.11 version in BookwormPup64 10.0.4 (x86_64) on USB thumbdrive on the new HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100.

Kernel is the standard one shipped with Bookworm.

I downloaded the 5.11 wine portable fresh, placed and unpacked it in /mnt/home (sda1 in this case) then ran Wine-Link. I got the progress messages that it had been added, and the menu links were made. I checked the menu and yes, wine config and wine console were in the Utilities menu.

But hitting Wine Config button did nothing. Same with Wine Console.

In terminal I tried wine --version and got:

# wine --version
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/libexec/connman/libadjtime.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/libexec/connman/libadjtime.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
wine-5.11 (Staging)

if I try a wine config in terminal I get:

# wine config
002c:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 5.11 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
002c:err:wineboot:main Cannot set the dir to L"C:\\windows" (2)
002c:err:wineboot:create_disk_serial_number wine: failed to create L"C:\\.windows-serial".
wine: could not open working directory L"unix\\root\\", starting in the Windows directory.
002c:err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\root\\Application Data".
002c:err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\root".
002c:err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\root\\Local Settings\\Application Data".
002c:err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\root\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files".
002c:err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 0
002c:err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\root\\Local Settings\\History".
002c:err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 1
002c:err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\root\\Cookies".
002c:err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 2
0024:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\config.exe" not found

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I've checked /root, and .wine and .wine32 symlinks are there and proper. They both point to the wine folder in the portable located on /mnt/home. It's a puzzle why wine doesn't see them. I can click through the links onto them and everything looks good in those linked folders. I think the script did what it was supposed to. Wine for some reason is not accepting those links??

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Honestly, Mike I don't actually need Wine to be portable. Back in the "old days" II used to just install wine, then manually move .wine out to /mnt/home, and then link back to /root.

I don't ultimately intend to run off of a thumbdrive, I'm just doing this for testing with a clean setup before committing to a frugal nvme internal drive.

FYI thumbdrive is VFAT formatted, install created by stickpup, w/fresh savefile (clean) set to 2 GB.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Sorry to multiple post, but additional developments:

Out of curiosity I renamed the .wine links in /root so they wouldn't interfere, then copied the /mnt/home/WINE_5.11-portable64/WINE/wine folder to /root. Then ran wine config in terminal. It all then worked and created new .wine and .wine32 folders in /root.

Playing with that installation presently.....

Later:

Damn, installed SketchUp and got the same problem behaviors I got with F96CE and Fossa95. I'm out of options for OS and kernel version, having varied all those. It is something related to this laptop's graphics, because I believe I don't have the same problem on my old clunker laptop in sig if I run the same OS's.

Nevertheless the topic here in this thread is the Portable 5.11 (and bookworm problem I had) so I'll try to help solve any perceived problem with that -- unless it too is laptop specific!

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I have the portable working well, these days, and I like it quite a bit now. I did not understand it fully before. I get it now.

New different question:
Is it possible set up a wine64 prefix with the portable (presently using the wine 5.11 version) to run a 64 bit win program?

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@vtpup :-

You would be better off using one of the current 9-series, Steve. I've put together a 'portable' version of WINE 9.3, and when the 'prefix' is created for these, they have the ability to handle both 32-bit AND 64-bit programs.....due to the inclusion of the SysWOW64 stuff.

As you can see, there's folders for both (x86) - 32-bit apps - and the ordinary 'Program Files' folder is where 64-bit apps go. At least, that's what I've found.

If interested, you can find it here:-

viewtopic.php?t=10955

Up to you, of course. Hope that perhaps helps!

Mike. ;)

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thanks Mike I've installed the 9.3 Wine portable, and really like it!

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

vtpup wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:42 pm

Thanks Mike I've installed the 9.3 Wine portable, and really like it!

Is it doing what you wanted it to do ? Most of my own Windoze apps are still 32-bit, though I do find the occasional one that insists a 64-bit is available, and to please install that instead. And then it quits on me.....

At least it seems to have the sense to recognise when an app is at the end of its development, and a 64-bit build was never created. THEN, it will let you install/run the 32-bit version (although it still complains about it!)

Mike. ;)

Return to “WINE”