Thank You, Puppy Linux USB

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GusCE6

Thank You, Puppy Linux USB

Post by GusCE6 »

My ASUS' hard drive has given up the ghost.

I was hoping it was a virus or such, but after several resets and setting everything up again it was obvious the hard drive was done for. Thanks to a law firm not doing what it should have done months ago and a passive-aggressive relative not signing a piece of paper I am broke and cannot afford a new one.

Going through a box of SD cards and USB sticks I bumbled across one with Puppy Linux Slacko 6.3.0. I don't remember when I made it, but...

Tinkered around with the BIOS to get it booting first, a few other things and to my amazement...it worked!

For some reason a few RTF files are useless but overall I can reach everything (a bit slow at times), but more importantly...it works.

I am posting this right now using the ASUS and this technique.

Fantastic. It really is remarkable.

Thanks.

Oh- does anyone know the fastest way to get Windows browsers working with WINE? It is so slowwwww with that Sony.

And how do you manually change the User-Agent for Palemoon 27 SSE Puppy Linux? Steam website will not allow logins with earlier systems apparently.

Again, thanks ^_^

Geek3579

Re: Thank You, Puppy Linux USB

Post by Geek3579 »

Well its great that you found Puppy Linux to be so helpful. :thumbup2:

Now if you are using an old machine, the memory may be too low for browsers to work well. i had this problem and solved it by adding a pupswap file to the USB. There are places on the forum where you can find this out. its not hard to do.

as for running browsers under WINE...I'm not sure if that will help on a slow machine anyway. apart from speed, why do you want to run a browser under WINE ?? I find vivaldi and edge quite nippy on my devices. You could try those if you can the right (find 32 bit (??)) versions.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@GusCE6

Use Slacko to give us more details about your Asus:
-Model
-cpu
-ram

With that we can give you better recommendations on how to get the most from the system.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

The device in question here is a Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid/XP 2001 Sony VAIO; 256MB, 800MHz Pentium 3 Processor. Intel Integrated chip from that time. :lol:

In XP mode one can post properly on Deviantart, albeit slowly- but with WINE in Puppy Linux mode it is far too slow, even by my standards.

janugsa

Post by janugsa »

User agent.
I write the text using a translator.
GusCE6
How to modify the user agent.
http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 9aa394b385
There in the example it identifies youtube.com as mobile.

I tried it with Slacko 5.8.10 puppy on two browsers, mainly on deviantart.com, because on that one the errors are immediately visible. My laptop: cpu 550MHz, ram:256MB. Websites come up very slowly, at least 3-5 minutes

Palemoon 27.84 sse.
There were some already made in this one.
For you, the Steam website would be good:
general.useragent.override.store.steampowered.com
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
This should be typed in two parts when creating a new one, right mouse click. New--string.
First the "general........" OK, then "Mozilla....." OK
When modifying old, only the Mozilla...... part. Modify.

I also tried this by writing to deviantart.com. Since I already had deviantart.com, I just had to modify it. So identified as firefox 102::
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
Displays fine, but unfortunately not all buttons work, "Accept"

It was fine as chromium 104 identified :
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/104.0.5151.208 Chrome/104.0.5151.208 Safari/537.36
It's all in one.
Unfortunately, for example the green button "Accept" is not responding.

Identified as palemoon 31 it did not display the deviantart.com website correctly:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:5.2) Goanna/20220803 PaleMoon/31.2.0.1

Identified as mobile android 4 ---does not display the website correctly:
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 4.0; Mobile; rv:52.0) Gecko/52.0 Firefox/52.0

Newmoon 28.17 sse another browser.

There are no lists of websites in this one. You have to create a new one.
It gives a different layout for images and interface when identified as mobile android 4 (prompts me to update browser, but good):
general.useragent.override.deviantart.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 4.0; Mobile; rv:52.0) Gecko/52.0 Firefox/52.0
This should be typed in two parts when creating a new one, right mouse click. New--string.
First "general........" OK, then "Mozilla....." OK

I used these websites:

https://developers.whatismybrowser.com/ ... firefox/10
https://developers.whatismybrowser.com/ ... chromium/9
https://developers.whatismybrowser.com/ ... le-moon/10

Return to “Beginners Help”