How to Install Xrdp Remote Desktop Server in DD Bullseye w/Sound

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

Clarity

Re: How to Install Xrdp Remote Desktop Server in DD Bullseye w/Sound

Post by Clarity »

@fredx181 I see in the opening post that @vtpup shares

... DD Bullseye is built on Debian 11 ...

I trust your distro presentations and am curious if that is your distro found somewhere on the forum?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Clarity wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:46 pm

@fredx181 I see in the opening post that @vtpup shares

... DD Bullseye is built on Debian 11 ...

I trust your distro presentations and am curious if that is your distro found somewhere on the forum?

Probably @vtpup used the ISO that I shared here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 357#p66357
Not sure though if I understand your question well.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Yup, that's right Fred, Clarity, Fred's recently posted experimental ISO was used.

Things are a little confusing here because the full detailed account of the initial process of working out the requirements is in another similar thread here in the DebianDogsection, while this How-To was supposed to be in the How-To section of the main forum. So now there are two different threads here discussing the subject, though with somewhat different purposes.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I propose that this path, in the above post, to the ISO reference in the original post of this thread be updated to navigate the user to a starting point leading to the known implementation success.

Thoughts?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

First Attempt to follow steps from Opening Post. (Decided to take a PC down as TV delivery date is not available. Dont want to wait to provide feedback.)

Ran into some issues. Anyone else tried the instructions using the DD Bullseye indicated?

My console log as well as PC info is attached

Attachments
XRDP steps Failure.rtf
(14.69 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Clarity wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:43 am

First Attempt to follow steps from Opening Post. (Decided to take a PC down as TV delivery date is not available. Dont want to wait to provide feedback.)

Ran into some issues. Anyone else tried the instructions using the DD Bullseye indicated?

My console log as well as PC info is attached

It should be lsb-release instead of lsb_release (@vtpup , can you correct that in first post?) and as user "puppy" you need to use sudo, so: sudo apt install lsb-release

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thanks Fred, Clarity,! Corrected... also added sudos for other user puppy commands, where needed.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

New monitor (TV) delivered, today. I hope to unbox and setup in coming days. I will be testing the recommended distro and XRDP using my targeted XEON PC.

Will deliver results in coming days validating the steps presented in this thread's OP.

After XRDP server setup with sound, I expect to present results using RDP clients from Windows, Chromebook, and Linux.

This is a game-changer for my home as I will then reduce internet access to this single installation. Browser and internet management will coalest at this single point. After successful setup and tests to establish baselines in behavior and performance, the connection to it will most likely be via a vlan.

Many benefits seen in this layout.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@vtpup :-

Interesting you should say about the 'workaround' for multi-user ability within what is essentially a single-user setup.

I believe jamesbond first used it within FatDog; I think that's where I got the inspiration, a few years ago, for creating & using the "/home" directory with user 'spot' within it, to emulate the usual mainline distro setup that Chrome, from about v62 onwards, suddenly wanted and expected to find when installed.

Prior to that we had simply used the '--no-sandbox' switch with the Chrome wrapper script to get it to run. Google not only coded Chrome to henceforth expect a multi-user environment, but around the same time '--no-sandbox' was deprecated for Chrome itself.....although it still works A-OK for most of the 'clones'. Chrome itself now requires the use of '--test-type' to be run as the root user, though as wiak himself pointed out, use of that then makes it impossible to sign-in to many of Google's services if you use them. The browser senses something's not "kosher", and digs its heels in and refuses to play along.

---------------------------

I'm the first to admit I don't understand the mechanism used for creating and assigning permissions to new 'users'. But it occurs to me that it should be possible to set-up a dedicated area of Puppy that will function exactly like a mainstream multi-user distro would. It's just an idea, but I believe it could be done. Most Linux solutions are adaptable to multiple ways of achieving the desired end result.

I don't think this is anything to do with Puppy's boot-time shenanigans. I believe this is basically a file-system/permissions issue. I did on one occasion attempt to emulate mainstream distros by setting up a /home/mike directory, along with mike:mike permissions, but Puppy wouldn't have it, and insisted on reverting to either root:root or spot:spot. Hence my statement above about not understanding the necessary mechanism to make it work. I'm more than willing to learn!

Despite that Will and I frequently disagree, he is absolutely correct that collaboration is what yields results. Not "magnificent isolation". Many of my own 'breakthroughs' with problems that had previously stumped me were finally solved thru collaboration and help from other community members. I'm not too proud to accept help when it's offered, especially if the result is an app or utility that then has more value through being usable by that many more people.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Been away for a bit splitting wood for winter, etc. Not sure actually what you're saying re. the problems of setting up a user to work with Xrdp in a normal single user Puppy like Fossapup. (Hope I don't now get dinged for using the word "normal", or even Puppy, these days) I wasn't able to get it to work, maybe someone else can.

As far as collaborating, not sure what you mean re. "Magnificent Isolation", is that a reference to me, or someone else?

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

mandiemicha

Post by mandiemicha »

Thank you for the solutions.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I did manage once to get this to run on a F96-CE_4. I don't remember the details but I think I compiled it with a parameter set to use spot:spot as user.

The big conflict to overcome is Puppy Linux usually is not equipped with PAM that handles multi-user security. Setting up PAM in any way will usually break a Puppy Linux so I would have to experiment again to see what I did to get this to go.

I was able to compile xrdp-0.9.25.1 in a F96-CE_4 just now.......seems to respond but I can't test it out completely. There seems to be another package that may or may not go along with it called xorgxrdp.

Not sure if this will work on a DD Bullseye. Probably test on a F96-CE_4 or a Fossapup64-9.6

Does any one want to test it out? I could provide a link to the completed package....if I can get it to work maybe I can make a PET for it.

Screenshot(6).jpg
Screenshot(6).jpg (25.2 KiB) Viewed 220 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Here it is! No testing done on it but it starts in F96-CE_4 with /etc/init.d/xrdp start

https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/PET/F ... 9.25.1.pet

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I tried connecting to a F96-CE_4 running the xrdp server using Windows 10 and it almost works! The xrdp server starts on F96-CE_4 and the Remote Desktop app from Win10 does successfully connect and I can control F96-CE_4 from Windows 10 but so far no F96 graphical desktop on the Win10 display

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Haven't used this or done this in last year, but as I remember this was done on DDog in the past. YOu need this script which does almost everything for you (seem to remember a sym-link needed upon script install). HERE!

Please report your result.

P.S. XRDP is the BEST remote desktop ever as it offers a TRUE desktop experience which todays 64bit Linux PCs can easily deliver. MACs and Wins (and Linux with proper clients) have built-in abilities to access this DDogs for a console-desktop that matches what is seen as if you are sitting directly, listening and seeing, in front of your laptop/PC. Others servers packages are ALL limited and do not provide any multimedia ability.

Also, its open source, its on GIT, and is continually supported and developed on the internet.

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

rockedge wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:57 pm

... Does any one want to test it out? I could provide a link ...

I would. I am currently running @radky's BKWP64 v1006, @Sofiya's KLV-Hyprland v5.0, and KLA-Airedale vSR11

My expected platform test

1. boot a QEMU VM with one of the ISOs

2. turn off the firewall, if on

3. Install XRDP and start "xrdp --sound"

4. Access the VM's desktop from the host PC (later from the LAN)

Return to “DebianDogs”