How to Install Xrdp Remote Desktop Server in DD Bullseye w/Sound

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

vtpup

How to Install Xrdp Remote Desktop Server in DD Bullseye w/Sound

Post by vtpup »

Xrdp is a remote desktop server application available via apt or Synaptic in binary from the Debian Bullseye repositories. However, the version available when run on DebianDog Bullseye does not redirect sound.

A script is available for compiling Xrdp from Griffon's IT Library https://c-nergy.be/blog/ and much good information about Xrdp is available there. Xrdp itself is maintained by Neutrinolabs http://xrdp.org/ .

The Griffon script is available in several versions, the current latest is 1.4.3 located here: https://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=18205

The script automates installation of either Xrdp in binary, or compiles it from scratch, depending on the choice of the user. It is primarily designed to work with Ubuntu and Buntu variants. But Debian ver 11 (Bullseye) is also supported, as experimental. The Debian version MUST be installed by compiling, the others have the binary install option. The compile option is -c (for custom) when running the script

DD Bullseye is built on Debian 11, but there are differences -- and it was necessary to work out what those were in order to get the installer script to work. To install sound redirection, the -s option is added when running the script.

The Installer requires that the user making the install must be non-root. User puppy is suitable. Also the working directory must be in the user's Downloads directory, which doesn't exist by default in DD Bullseye.

1.)To begin, create a /home/puppy/Downloads directory. Make user puppy the owner, if not already.
2.) Update repositories. Open terminal in the Downloads folder, switch to user puppy and download the script

Code: Select all

su puppy
sudo apt update
wget https://www.c-nergy.be/downloads/xRDP/xrdp-installer-1.4.3.zip

3.) The script needs a small Debian utility to identify the operating system and desktop, not present on DD Bullseye. Install that:

sudo apt install lsb-release

4.) The script can only identify a desktop manager from a limited number of supported types. LXQt is one that is small and works with openbox (already present), so install that one:

sudo apt install lxqt

5.) You will need the deb-src source repos available to apt. They are currently commented out in /etc/apt/sources.list so navigate there and uncomment them by removing the # marks from the appropriate deb-src lines, or from console to edit:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

6.) update those sources

sudo apt update

7.) From a terminal opened in the /home/puppy/Downloads directory, as user puppy, run the script with -c and -s options:

./xrdp-installer-1.4.3.sh -c -s

You will be asked to identify the desktop from choices: openbox, jwm, and lxqt. Choose lxqt. The script should run to completion. If it does, you must fully shut down the computer, and then start it from cold boot, to enable the sound redirection. It doesn't work to simply hit restart. Has to be a cold boot.

8.) After booting, to start Xrdp, from root user enter:

service xrdp start

If you have a client machine running puppy, with the Remmina rdp client app, first run Peasywifi on your LAN and search for instances of port 3389. That will give you the IP address of your Xrdp server and also verify that it is running and listening. If not, check that your client and server firewalls aren't blocking 3389.

Open a new Remmina RDP profile and enter the IP address, set resolution to Trucolor 24 bit, and in the Advanced tab set sound to Local. Save, don't use Save and Connect button, as I found it sometimes doesn't work. After saving then you can Connect. You will be asked for username and password, choose puppy (if root is currently the user on the server box). You cannot be the same user on both boxes.

If all is working, first time you will be asked to accept an SSL cert. Agree. The desktop will take a few moments to open, but should be operable with sound enabled. The quality of sound will depend on the capabilities of your server, and the speed of you network cards and connection.

When closing any client session don't choose the Log Out Shutdown option from the client desktop's menu, choose the Exit X option, or use the Remmina disconnect icon. You should not shut down the machine from the client in an RDP session.

Well, that's it. Hope it is useful to you.

EDITS: 9/15/22 added missing sudos for user puppy where needed.

Last edited by vtpup on Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

wizard

Re: How to Install Xrdp Remote Desktop Server in DD Bullseye w/Sound

Post by wizard »

Having followed the quest to set up a XRDP server with sound, I admire your persistence.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Removed by Bigpup from the Puppy How-To/Networks section to this location.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

wiak

Post by wiak »

vtpup wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:23 pm

Removed by Bigpup from the Puppy How-To/Networks section to this location.

Pity really. Important thread really but hard to find it buried out of main forum HowTo sections as it now is.

Forum needs a bit more thought re overall relevance in organisation of Main Forum HowTo and Guidance/Help for forum beginners and users of forum distros situation.

It is more than a bit top-heavy regarding Puppy distro at expense of at least equally useful Dogs (and Dogs are not one distro either - totally different to each other on the whole) to the extent that this thread now becomes all but invisible and being thus unseen by new people browsing the first page of the forum, will likely attract little feedback. Of course my post now brings it very temporarily onto the frontpage of forum again... ;-)

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This is not an agreement of movement...rather, I think @BigPUP has a point.

Since this utility steps are for a DD, it appears in this section.

If a set of steps are provided for a PUP and probably with some PET(s) to ease its integration into a PUP, steps of this sort should be included in the HowTO Section...IMHO.

Its one way of looking at the decision to place it here.

BEWARE: I am probably wrong, but...

I will do what I can to advance this knowledge. This "EASE of USE" (not to be confused with ease of installations) allows any of us to take advantage of all that excess power that a 64bit platform has which can be applied in this kind of use in the home. Further, this allows a really interesting ability to focus all internet traffic thru one-PC for all home users, if this is employed as the forum Terminal Server it affords.

Lastly, once this is advanced into other forum distros, we can stop calling it XRDP and maybe call it Terminal Server as it does EXACTLY what an MS RDP implementation affords its login users.

This is a winner.

@vtpup my hat is off as I bow to your generosity to help this forum with this advancement. You single-highhandedly has helped this forum to actually witness the difference from a screen of a remote desktop versus a true desktop with ALL the glory one gets as if sitting at the remote PC's monitor running any multimedia services.

Last edited by Clarity on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

P.S. After some additional testing, this community might consider making the XRDP developers aware of the success here. If should offer us 2 useful benefits

• Provide some favorable reviews from any issues we find in use of their solution in this forum

• Attracting new, additional, forum users of varied backgrounds who also might want to take advantage of using a Light-weight Linux which takes advantage of the unused cycles of a 64bit PC to provide direct desktop services to other home users.

There are more, I'm sure.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:32 am

This is not an agreement of movement...rather, I think @BigPUP has a point.

Since this utility steps are for a DD, it appears in this section.

If a set of steps are provided for a PUP and probably with some PET(s) to ease its integration into a PUP, steps of this sort should be included in the HowTO Section...IMHO.

I couldn't agree less. A totally artificial and unnecessary segregation. I believe vtpup has even now pointed out that getting this important and community-immensely-useful mechanism to work on single-user Puppy was proving very difficult (not saying 'impossible', but didn't happen). Fortunately for all of us, vtpup's determination to succeed resulted in this great HowTo. Most HowTo's ever written are for the community as a whole, and much of the information (no matter the specifics) is of interest to all of us no matter the distro(s) we tend to use most. Times have moved on from early non-woof-CE made pups, such that this has become "the Kennels" with much going on - shame to hide it by false dictates and favouritisms, and sad to see our forums audience become, it seems to me, less active these days.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If this how to is so generic.

Explain how I am going to do the steps posted in the first post.

When I am using an official Puppy Linux version that does not have apt.
So far apt is not in official Puppy Linux versions.

I just tried it in Fossapup64 9.5

Step 3.) The script needs a small Debian utility to identify the operating system and desktop, not present on DD Bullseye. Install that:

apt install lsb_release

root# apt install lsb_release
bash: apt: command not found
root#

The weget part of Step 2 worked, because wget is in Fossapup64 9.5
But not the other parts of step 2.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:47 am

If this how to is so generic.

Explain how I am going to do the steps posted in the first post.

When I am using an official Puppy Linux version that does not have apt.
So far apt is not in official Puppy Linux versions.

The HowTo is of generic forum interest.

Actually, however, dpkg/apt is available as an addon to Fossapup courtesy of a contribution long ago by WeeDogLinux - such is the nature of actual collaboration.

Also, as you say, some most recent Pups include dpkg/apt built in, however the main issue may have been as vtpup says, that Pup is a single-user system by design, whereas most of the very different so-called "Dogs" are capable of running either as root user only or as multi-user; many server apps and an increasing number of other apps may require multi-user abilities, but sometimes a special 'normal' user such as spot provided in Puppy is enough, but sometimes not.

Nevertheless, the technical content is of generic forum interest - as is all Linux-oriented information actually.

You were certainly the one that long time pushed against any other distro than Puppy itself posting to the main forum HowTo - totally wrong approach to collaboration and forum-interests in practice.

To sound a bit like yourself: "These are the Kennels!".

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This is something you, as a forum team member, need to bring up in the:
Board index -> Off-Topic Area -> Admin's and Moderators

OK.
How am I going to do these steps using dpkg/apt?

Forum Global Moderator

wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:34 am

This is something you, as a forum team member, need to bring up in the:
Board index -> Off-Topic Area -> Admin's and Moderators

No, the Admin's and Moderators Off-Topic Area is invisible to all other forum members, but vtpup brought up the issue and is not in the forum team members group. Personally, I prefer to keep almost all (probably all) forum discussions open, but some of you guys wanted that Off-Topic private discussion area, which isn't unreasonable - I just tend to avoid it since that is not my style (maybe I have no style admittedly).

I have posted in that section, once or twice, but usually I keep out of it and trust rockedge to decide best he can - diplomacy is never easy when opinions are divided. You are from the US - you know that.

As for the steps on howto do it using a Puppy - I'd say: first study how to do it as vtpup describes nicely for DebianDog Bullseye - try that and learn how it works and then, with that new knowledge see if you can work out a way to do similar or the same in single-user Puppy. That's the kind of thing I would do if I was using this HowTo as inspiration for the attempt - may or may not manage. Nevertheless, the HowTo is useful to me in a generic Linux way (and definitely a general Kennels way); I don't myself use DD Bullseye by the way - though I might try it some time. The post still interests me at least, though I don't normally browse the DebianDogs threads unless a sudden post jumps to main forum page that attracts my attention, but such posts are soon buried so I know I miss a lot.

I'm not myself planning to write special tutorials on using dpkg/apt with Fossapup for the private Admins and Moderators area, and, presuming that is not what you mean anyway, you already know I didn't like when you used to complain and push my own howtos (using weedog) out of main forum into subforum relatively hidden area - I allowed the move, but objected since I believe such moves are counter-productive in the Kennels as are all forms of one-distro claims for dominance over forum territory. Eventually that form of organisation is doomed to fail since development works best with collaboration and restricted or hidden work is not able to help attract new members to the Kennels. Puppy is being positioned to mainly do that attraction alone, and that is not working as far as I read it.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

As it always happens.

What you think you are writing, is not always, what is understood by others, the way you wanted them to understand!

The comment about the Admin's and Moderators section, was to make a topic there, to get the moderators all on the same page, as to how to run this forum, about moving topics.

Ok.
Thanks for the collaboration.
Go figure it out for yourself, on some other operating system, on this forum, that is not Debian Dog.
What a great general how to.

I guess I maybe could figure it out by my self.
I wish I had that much confidence in myself :lol:

Forum Global Moderator

wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 am

As it always happens.

What you think you are writing, is not always, what is understood by others, the way you wanted them to understand!

Oh I think I understood you perfectly clear[ly], and actually if you read again I think ("presume") I made that clear. Never presume anything - I know...

But how could we ever be on "one page" when you, more than anyone in recent times, have used discourse to make it sound like nothing on this forum existed but Puppy Linux - well, I supposed you resigned your discourse to allow for the 'existence' of 'Others' as "as an assemblage referred to as Dogs" but made sure your overall approach was to talk every FAQ and Rule in the form of Puppy this and Puppy that. Disingenuous approach we might say. So why do you even use the word collaborate in terms of 'same page' when the forum world view is so entirely different. You and Wiz57. I prefer to reach consensus with the forum membership than waste time on that divide.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

I've made this topic "sticky", so that @vtpup's how-to doesn't get buried.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

We need testing of these steps and sharing our experiences in its use.

This addition to Puppyland has much promise. I foresee future steps forthcoming for:

• KLV

• FATDOG

• whatever the future "official" PUPs emerge

• some of the many forum REMASTERS

• Foreign forum PUPs

As this allows a use unseen in this community since @goingnuts presentation for Puppy Linux and @fatdog v5-6 implementation on the old forum...which did not have an active sound. Today, almost EVERY PC user has a PC that, at the very least, is 64bit, ethernet, with 1GB or more of RAM sitting on a 2nd/3rd PC in the home.

This XRDP brings in the audio implementation such that sitting at the client we get a TRUE experience from the remote's desktop on our local PC.

Let's test and provide feedback to @vtpup

It appears that @bigpup "may have" tried but is stopped in his attempts to verify and provide feedback for the product.

Again, I will test and verify this thread's instructions, as soon as I get a TV for the PC that I envision for server use for the rest of this year and next. I am expected this to happen this week.

In my test, I will begin from ISO file booting DD Bullseye64 to completing the XRDP setup while providing feedback on it and connections used with this setup. REmmina is just one of the clients as there are others such as:

• MS RDP built-in client

• Apple's RDP built-in client

• Android (I do not have any access to a iPhone) client

• "Real" Terminals which have been around for over 25 years; many/most of the later Terminals have on-board sound

• Other Linux RDP candidates

I have aspirations for use of this as well as the camera implementations that @rockedge has done in the past. (Maybe a KLV with all of this active or DD with all of this active or ... as I am in need of being able to use these server services no matter which PC in the home I am to connect and use this XRDP fully over my home LAN. )

How many of you knew that there are RDP clients for the cell-phone technology also been around for a decade to a MS Terminal Server. Haven't tested yet, but I expect to test this client as well connecting to this new "PUPPY Terminal Server" running on DD, now, and others in the future.

Let's help @vtpup and the community via any verifications we can provide to this technology introduction for our use in this forum.

Looking forward...

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@fredx181 although it is not 'immediately' apparent, do you recommend using your DD Bullseye64 ISO found here as the base product for these instructions?

If you agree, then we'll need to make plain that these instructions, although adaptable to other PUPs/DOGs, are to be implemented and tested on this particular distro with links so that users can find this DOG.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Clarity wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:57 pm

@fredx181 although it is not 'immediately' apparent, do you recommend using your DD Bullseye64 ISO found here as the base product for these instructions?

If you agree, then we'll need to make plain that these instructions, although adaptable to other PUPs/DOGs, are to be implemented and tested on this particular distro with links so that users can find this DOG.

For a single purpose distro or a demo of a single thing like xrdp, I'd probably start with Bill's (rcrsn51) "Starter Kit" or make a barebones version from the script myself. I think it's always easier to troubleshoot something on a barebones system first.

From there you can add whatever other software you need.

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=644

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Clarity wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:57 pm

Sorry, I cannot recommend anything because I haven't tested xrdp.
@dancytron has a point on recommending a very minimal OS to test on, btw, FYI the Starter Kit has older kernel (5.10).

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Yes, we need to help with this testing. Please help

My 'expected' delivery day for my monitor is Friday.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@fredx181 @dancytron I am now confused because it seems we have 2 distinctly different version of DD Bullseye with 2 different contents.

Can anyone test the instructions on either? I will as soon as a monitor is here.

Our experiences will be helpful.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

wiak wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:59 am

As it always happens.

Oh I think I understood you perfectly clear[ly], and actually if you read again I think ("presume") I made that clear. Never presume anything - I know...

But how could we ever be on "one page" when you, more than anyone in recent times, have used discourse to make it sound like nothing on this forum existed but Puppy Linux - well, I supposed you resigned your discourse to allow for the 'existence' of 'Others' as "as an assemblage referred to as Dogs" but made sure your overall approach was to talk every FAQ and Rule in the form of Puppy this and Puppy that. Disingenuous approach we might say. So why do you even use the word collaborate in terms of 'same page' when the forum world view is so entirely different. You and Wiz57. I prefer to reach consensus with the forum membership than waste time on that divide.

Hey, don't drag me into your argument, I've gotten to where I couldn't care less on where things are...I will say it is getting near impossible to find information
relating to Puppy Linux. The "Mainline Distributions" which has subforums for each "breed" of pup is squeezed into one small space. This is making it very
difficult to explain to would-be Puppy users where to find the various pups. The "Dogs" have 4 subforums under the general section labeled "Forum".
Just leave me out of your whining.

Signature available upon request

wiak

Post by wiak »

Wiz57 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:13 pm
wiak wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:59 am

As it always happens.

Hey, don't drag me into your argument, I've gotten to where I couldn't care less on where things are...I will say it is getting near impossible to find information
relating to Puppy Linux. The "Mainline Distributions" which has subforums for each "breed" of pup is squeezed into one small space. This is making it very
difficult to explain to would-be Puppy users where to find the various pups. The "Dogs" have 4 subforums under the general section labeled "Forum".
Just leave me out of your whining.

Perhaps if you hadn't just recently again been attacking individuals and what you group as "the Dogs". There is no such thing as one distribution called the Dogs - these are separate and very individual styles of distribution from each other. WeeDog, which you like to make unfavourable comments about is not one distribution itself (and is certainly not FatDog, or DebianDog, or EasyOS...), it includes a build system that can provide a build of any distribution that uses repos from either Void Linux, Arch Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, or Devuan, or a homebrew package manager if you wish (probably from rockedge reports, even sc0ttman's pkg. i.e. hundreds of different distros of different types and desktop managers can be built as WeeDogs. Don't tell me about Puppy have limited space on the forum - you are only referring to that one section of Puppy's - where Mainline distros are listed. All of the very different distros that happened to put Dog, in their names have exactly and only one line/section in the forum altogether! Puppy House Training and Additiional Software and Derivatives and Projects and so on and so forth take up way more than half the forum front page. Do not talk rubbish - both bigpup and yourself, despite supposed to be fair to all distros on this forum as moderators do your utmost to promote only Puppy itself - hence the rubbish claims.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Xrdp is unsuitable for normal Puppies because they are single user systems. You cannot, with Xrdp, be in two places at the same time. Both client and server cannot be the same user, root. The reason for picking one of the dogs was that they are multi-user systems. The server can be run as root, and the client can sign into that server and open a second desktop as user puppy. These two desktops are independent of each other. They are separate instances. This is a true two user system.

In my particular case, I see the server as a mere accessory to my Puppy client. It's basically a housing for running a video editor on a more high powered video processor and higher capacity storage device than my 13 year old laptop. I run Bionicpup64 for accessing that server. To me the server running DD Bulseye is not different than a router, or a printer, or any other accessory device running an internal service that requires setup. If I could have run puppy to serve xrdp I would have.

I tried and discovered the fundamental problem Puppy presents as a server. I'm happy with my present system. It's unfortunate that Puppy cannot feature a multi-user server system alongside of a single user desktop system as Ubuntu and other major distros do. Apparently Puppies must always use non-Puppy servers, rather than call one their own. It doesn't have to be that way.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

wiak

Post by wiak »

vtpup wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:37 am

It's unfortunate that Puppy cannot feature a multi-user server system alongside of a single user desktop system as Ubuntu and other major distros do. Apparently Puppies must always use non-Puppy servers, rather than call one their own. It doesn't have to be that way.

KLV-Airedale is also full multi-user distro, albeit by default logging into root desktop, and not Debian so you'd have to work out how to do it using Void Linux package manager - seems perfectly possible to me though, and your existing howto is probably a sufficient guide for anyone experienced with using KLV-Airedale to emulate your work, so it is a valuable community HowTo longterm regardless of what distro you are using as a client, and Puppy does indeed make a good client distro for pretty much any server. Servers are just there to serve!

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

vtpup wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:37 am

Xrdp is unsuitable for normal Puppies because they are single user systems. You cannot, with Xrdp, be in two places at the same time. Both client and server cannot be the same user, root. The reason for picking one of the dogs was that they are multi-user systems. The server can be run as root, and the client can sign into that server and open a second desktop as user puppy. These two desktops are independent of each other. They are separate instances. This is a true two user system.

In my particular case, I see the server as a mere accessory to my Puppy client. It's basically a housing for running a video editor on a more high powered video processor and higher capacity storage device than my 13 year old laptop. I run Bionicpup64 for accessing that server. To me the server running DD Bulseye is not different than a router, or a printer, or any other accessory device running an internal service that requires setup. If I could have run puppy to serve xrdp I would have.

I tried and discovered the fundamental problem Puppy presents as a server. I'm happy with my present system. It's unfortunate that Puppy cannot feature a multi-user server system alongside of a single user desktop system as Ubuntu and other major distros do. Apparently Puppies must always use non-Puppy servers, rather than call one their own. It doesn't have to be that way.

OK.

So I should not try to use this on say Fossapup64 9.5?

If I did get it installed it is just not going to work?

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have managed to get Xrdp to run on Fossapup64 started with the user spot. I changed some ownerships to spot:root

I have attempted quickly to connect to the xrdp server running on Fossapup64, with KLV-Airedale running Remmina from a KLV running on a QEMU virtual machine. This is all on the same machine. Fossapup64 is running xrdp and the QEMU machine on the same computer (DELL PowerEdge R210 II) so the this test might be inconclusive. Since the KLV machine is networked with NAT the results are sketchy. Maybe better with VIrtualBox and a bridged network connection so the LAN IP is inline with router assignments.

I will continue to test if going with a more robust user spot, Fossapup64 will run a xrdp server that will connect.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

It may be that Fossapup can be pushed into multi user status enough to run xrdp as a functioning server. I don't know what is involved and how useful it would be in that mode.

There is no question that Fossa and other puppies can run Xrdp software as a service. The problem came for me with trying to connect to it as another user than root. By its nature Xrdp creates another independent desktop for every user connected. Thus it is designed specifically for a multi user system.

It's interesting to me that Ubuntu, the most used Linux desktop system, attempts to warp a multi-user system into a single user desktop system by denying the single user the ability to do most administrative tasks. Since that's actually unworkable, it invented workarounds and procedures that merely make it more complicated to do things other than run existing apps. Considered normal in the buntus is constant hounding of users not to become root, to enter passwords, sudoing, etc. and once temporary capability is obtained, to then understand and deal with highly complex multi-user multi-group ownership permissions, even though run by a single user..

On the other hand Puppy Linux was developed to make single user desktops far simpler, more responsive, faster, easier to use, and long lasting on low cost and older equipment. This is because the philosophy was specifically single-user. But lately attempts have been made to provide pseudo multi-user capability. We see Finn and Spot, etc. These are essentially partial workarounds, that don't function well with true multi-user server applications, for a very good reason. Puppy as originally built is fundamentally and properly a single user system. And that is its greatest asset and why it is so much better for a single user than any of the other big Linux OS's. This is its big advantage and big draw.

Now, if we need a multi-user system because we want to run multi user server applications, or actually want several users, we absolutely do need some of the user and group permissions and security structures that are a part of mainline Linux OS's. But to me, that is where the so called "Dog' operating systems that we feature here do that BETTER than those mainline OSs.

I think the "Dog" name was unfortunate and should really have been chosen differently from the start. MUpuppies for multi-user puppies would have been better, so that instead of being seen as different or competing, this Puppy branch could have been viewed as a additional complementary versioning of Puppy Linux, built to fill in the multi-user gap in applicability. I think it is unfortunate that as a result of a past name choice that became a convention it seemed separate. To me there is no conflict between featuring a multi-user puppy and a single user puppy, each optimized for what it does best, and EACH a legitimate Puppy Linux. As in my case, I think many would have need of BOTH, interacting with each other, and each providing familiar ways of doing that, in an efficient and long lasting Puppy system of cooperative use.

I think there is nothing to be gained by segregating the two parts as unrelated OSs. as opposed to a unified Puppy' with greater scope and application. Likewise forcing the unique quality of single user puppy desktop into a pseudo multi-user system through workarounds does not make sense to me, beyond what spot does now -- which is simply to isolate internet apps for security reasons. In my opinion trying to increase a perfectly designed single user system into multi-user capability is the same mistake in reverse to what Ubuntu tried to do by inflicting a multi-user system on everyday single users.

Here, now in Puppy Linux we have perfect single-user desktop systems, AND we also have ( in the so-called dogs) highlly efficient multi-user systems, both of which are complementary and which practically mirror each other in ease of use, speed, capability, cross system applications and philosophy. They do not compete....... they complete .......the range of what can be done in Puppy Linux.

Rather than fighting over what is "proper" Puppy and what isn't, I would like to see a joining of our developmental resources and community for the better good. Division and hard feeling will only splinter all of our efforts to make this the most efficient and responsive widely applicable set of operating systems, for both single and multi-user needs.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

williams2

Post by williams2 »

To make Puppy run with support for unprivileged users like spot
/bin/su needs the suid permission to be set.
which allows unprivileged users like spot to run su as if spot is really root

But in most Pups, su is a symlink to busybox.
The suid permission should not be enabled on busybox.

So su should be the FULL version and the suid permission should be set.

Also, /etc/sudoers and /etc/sudo.conf need to be configured.
For example, see https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/v ... /sudo.html

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

rockedge wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:50 pm

I have managed to get Xrdp to run on Fossapup64 started with the user spot. I changed some ownerships to spot:root

I have attempted quickly to connect to the xrdp server running on Fossapup64, with KLV-Airedale running Remmina from a KLV running on a QEMU virtual machine. This is all on the same machine. Fossapup64 is running xrdp and the QEMU machine on the same computer (DELL PowerEdge R210 II) so the this test might be inconclusive. Since the KLV machine is networked with NAT the results are sketchy. Maybe better with VIrtualBox and a bridged network connection so the LAN IP is inline with router assignments.

I will continue to test if going with a more robust user spot, Fossapup64 will run a xrdp server that will connect.

For the KVM-QEMU solution you'll need to open port 3389 in the VM.

And if you choose to traverse the internet from your host's Remmina to your Fossapup64, don't worry as all traffic will travel in the RDP encrypted tunnel (security).

Last, by important, IMHO; the KVM-QEMU OS that is running should/must allow to the host's desktop so that you know its audio facility is operational and can be passed when the Remmina client connects.

Looking forward to this solution. And as I am sure you know, the possibility of this in a VM is the same as if run on bare-metal.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@fredx181 I see in the opening post that @vtpup shares

... DD Bullseye is built on Debian 11 ...

I trust your distro presentations and am curious if that is your distro found somewhere on the forum?

Last edited by Clarity on Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DebianDogs”