Recognition problem - FocalFossa 20.04 from USB pen on Lenovo Ryzen 5.

Moderator: fredx181

soniabu

Recognition problem - FocalFossa 20.04 from USB pen on Lenovo Ryzen 5.

Post by soniabu »

Update.
To get on with my work, I downloaded a new focalfossa 20.04 iso on a new usb stick.
To my surprise and fright, the pc attempting to load from the usb brought up a completely blue screen with the words:

Verification failed: (0x1A) Security Violation :shock:
after which an OK appears which, once entered, presents me with the following options:

Shin UEFI Key Management

- continue boot
- Enroll key from disk
- Enroll hash from disk

if I choose the first option it does nothing and starts with window;
I haven't tried the others yet because I don't understand them.
Help, help
sonia

Hello everybody.
The main Asus pc abandoned me and I bought a Lenovo (ideapad felx Ryzen 5).
FocalFossa 20.04 in Asus was on a USB stick from which I booted; then using the system on the USB I tried
to boot with the Lenovo but it does not recognize the system and - after a few seconds - start windows 11
installed on the Lenovo SSD.
With my sister's pc (Bionicpup19 32bit on Toshiba) I analyzed the USB stick and it looks perfect
with all the folders and programs in place. So it's Lenovo that doesn't recognize it.
Any advice before I download a new FocalFossa ISO and ... do you start all over again in rebuilding my system??
thanks Sonia

fredx181

Re: Recognition problem - FocalFossa 20.04 from USB pen on Lenovo Ryzen 5.

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sonia, first thought I have is that you may need to disable 'secure boot' in the (UEFI) BIOS (probably FossaDog doesn't have support for that).
Also, if there's an option for something like "legacy boot" it may help to enable that.
But there could be other reasons for the failure, what is your bootloader on the USB ? (GRUB2 or Grub4dos ?) .

Perhaps others can help better, I don't have much experience with newer computers (uefi, secure boot etc..),

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

thanks Fred it's true I entered the bios and I disabled security boot and when I tried the new image of FocalFossa 20.04 it presented me the choices for puppy as it always did.
The only thing that I regret is that I have to start all over again as it only reads the usb stick with the new iso but on the one I used in Asus nothing does not read it.
Thanks again Fred, sonia

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

The only thing that I regret is that I have to start all over again ... ...

So do you mean that your changes storage is gone? Or do you have a backup?

ljlj

Post by ljlj »

dear sonia
please take debiandog buster iso
it is the best
install it on fat 32bit(gparted)
with unetbootin
take porteus boot fresh
before shutdown
make quick remaster
none puppy linux is comparable with
debiandog
regards

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

thanks Fred for your concern.
The backup of my data I have them what I have lost are in system programs.
But now the situation has gotten worse as I can't connect to the internet.
The merged photo shows what the system sees it does not hear the wireless.
It's all different with this Lenovo; it's making me lose my patience.
It practically fails to scan for wireless I don't know why. With the Asus I could scan and save the network as default.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

well LjLj I will try this too hoping that it is able to activate it as you suggest. Of course, to change a simple PC (Asus to Lenovo) I created a lot of problems.
thanks ljlj for the suggestion
P.S. I downloaded this iso is right?
Update 2020-09-07, 64-bit ISO now with UEFI support
64-bit ISO: BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2020-09-07_64-bit-UEFI.iso Size: 345MB

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

Often the cause is that the firmware for your wireless chip is not installed.
You can try to install newer firmware package , reboot and see if it's fixed https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updat ... e/download
If not, it may be difficult, i.e. kernel too old perhaps or ... :?:
Run lspci and look for "wireless" to see what's your wireless card exactly.

edit Probably with Busterdog it is not different.

ljlj

Post by ljlj »

dear sonia
yes tray it
i use debian dog for
many years
you have sinaptic
and you can change
desktops
regards

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:44 pm
soniabu wrote:

Often the cause is that the firmware for your wireless chip is not installed.
You can try to install newer firmware package , reboot and see if it's fixed https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updat ... e/download
If not, it may be difficult, i.e. kernel too old perhaps or ... :?:
Run lspci and look for "wireless" to see what's your wireless card exactly.

edit Probably with Busterdog it is not different.

ok fred, here lspci
firmwere 1.187.32 now ok but Idon't see my internet network and therefore I don't connect.
I also tried Bionicpup64 but still the network is not visible.
I don't understand if it's a problem with Lenovo or it is Linux sw wifi.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

firmwere 1.187.32 now ok but Idon't see my internet network and therefore I don't connect.

That's a pity, I assume you did a reboot with saved changes after installing linux-firmware 1.187.32
It's probably that your laptop is too new (or Fossadog too old, depends how you look at it ;) )
Your lspci output shows that it probably about realtek network controller 8852.
If you do a google search for ubuntu realtek 10ec:8852 driver you may find out more.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:06 am
soniabu wrote:

That's a pity, I assume you did a reboot with saved changes after installing linux-firmware 1.187.32
It's probably that your laptop is too new (or Fossadog too old, depends how you look at it ;) )
If you do a google search for ubuntu realtek 10ec:8852 driver you may find out more.

... maybe the s.o. he's a bit old ;)
but this is a real bad luck! After a long time I have to go back to using windows which is so unpleasant to me.
Maybe if I installed Linux mint I could fix it for a while waiting for focusfossa to update: what do you think?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

The combo-wifi-driver-pack for the Bullseye Starter Kit has this driver, but it's untested so far.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:14 pm

The combo-wifi-driver-pack for the Bullseye Starter Kit has this driver, but it's untested so far.

I have read a little the information you suggested but I find it difficult to follow the procedures and updates
that the Deblive Bull wifi driver pack combo asks. If this pack was already present on the s.o.
DebLive Bullseye iso I might try it. Now I will read better how to install DebLive Bullseye, thanks rcrsn51
sonia

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

soniabu wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:16 am
fredx181 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:06 am
soniabu wrote:

... maybe the s.o. he's a bit old ;)
but this is a real bad luck! After a long time I have to go back to using windows which is so unpleasant to me.
Maybe if I installed Linux mint I could fix it for a while waiting for focusfossa to update: what do you think?

Fred as you wrote is the PC that is too recent because by installing ubuntu 22.04 - with which I am writing to you - it immediately searches the network and finding it connects perfectly.
I'm in usb stick mode as I don't want to install it because I preferred my / our Puppy.
It's not bad Ubuntu but it seems redundant and less snappy than Puppy. Compared to Puppy the boot is slow (even compared to windows 11 which amazed me for how quickly it activates: maybe 3, 4 seconds).
However, now I am calmer as I am sure that it does not depend on the PC Hardware.
Thanks again for everything Fred - also the others who suggested alternative solutions -
I just have to wait for puppy updates.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sonia, good that you managed with Ubuntu 22, must say that it really is a pain that a 2 years old OS (like Fossa) seems already too old for newer computers :thumbdown: .
On my newish laptop I installed Fossadog now and had in fact exactly the same problem as you (wireless not working).
On the web you can find solutions by compiling a kernel module, but went for an easier way, solved it by using a USB dongle I have already from years ago (for wireless), and got wireless working well on Fossa, something you may consider buying one perhaps (should be supported of course, can't really advice on that).

EDIT: there must be modern Puppies I think with support for your wireless chip, you may want to ask in the forum, perhaps FatDog or EasyOs will do .

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Certainly Fred that with this gap between tech and soft, among a while others will find themselves in our conditions and
it is a pity that it happens as then one becomes disaffected with the puppy system; But I imagine that even
the resources invested in puppies are few and therefore we cannot expect too much.
I will try to consider the dongle even if I do not like to add other various objects to make a PC work.
I'll try to try the systems you suggest; or now I will find the method to create a usb stick with Ububt 22.04 persistently installed.
sonia

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@soniabu
The DebLive-Bookworm ISO (updated) may work for you. (direct link: https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/r ... 4-UEFI.iso)
It has latest kernel and firmware and as far as I can see it has support for your wireless chip, but not sure, anyway it does solve the wireless problem on my modern laptop, could easily connect with PeasyWifi.
It's not Ubuntu (it's Debian based) but has many similarities with Fossadog, e.g. Desktop environment and applications included.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

uhhhh! Uhhh!
Hurray. Tonight I'll try, thanks Fred then I'll update you.
sonia

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:01 pm

@soniabu
The DebLive-Bookworm ISO (updated) may work for you. (direct link: https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/r ... 4-UEFI.iso)
It has latest kernel and firmware and as far as I can see it has support for your wireless chip, but not sure, anyway it does solve the wireless problem on my modern laptop, could easily connect with PeasyWifi.
It's not Ubuntu (it's Debian based) but has many similarities with Fossadog, e.g. Desktop environment and applications included.

Fantastic Fred!
- WiFi works fine.
The problem I encounter, however, is that the touchpad not working; I can moving the cursor (the arrow) but it has no effect;
I was able to start and test the network as well as for example set Firefox setting only with the touchscreen (that works very well).
I tried to update and upgrade the system in the hope that it would fix the problem but it did not happen and the touchpad still has no effect on the system.
Even if the arrow passes over a link and I click, it does not launch the requested page, but if I press the corner of the touchpad at the bottom right, the combo box opens from which I can launch the page request by pressing Enter. We hope to be able to solve this too! Thanks and hugs, sonia.

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@soniabu
It's not bad Ubuntu but it seems redundant and less snappy than Puppy. Compared to Puppy the boot is slow (even compared to windows 11 which amazed me for how quickly it activates: maybe 3, 4 seconds)

Try Solus!

Born to lose; live to win

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

well I'll try it; however now I would like to be able to use DebianDog Bookworm where only the touch pad I can not get to work (as written before).
thanks anyway for the info, sonia

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

BologneChe wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:51 am

@soniabu
It's not bad Ubuntu but it seems redundant and less snappy than Puppy. Compared to Puppy the boot is slow (even compared to windows 11 which amazed me for how quickly it activates: maybe 3, 4 seconds)

Try Solus!

well I downloaded it and put it on a USB stick. It looks well done (here the touchpad and touchscreen work regularly); the only thing is that i can't test it on a flash drive but i should install it on ssd and i wouldn't want to do it for testing only. So I'll keep that in mind and in the meantime try to overcome that touchpad impasse on DebiaDog Bookworm.
thank you Bologne.
sonia

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi @soniabu , ok, success on Bookworm with wifi but pity that your touchpad not working.
I have little knowledge about it, so just idea, try "touchpad" by @rcrsn51 it's in the custom repo, so: apt install touchpad (installs some dependecies such as libinput)
Run it from Menu > System to configure it.
xinput list and look for touchpad will give you some info (details that you can try a google search on perhaps if above doesn't work)

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Well Fred thanks for everything but I think I better leave Linux for a while as other problems with Bookworm have added:
first, while saving the session where I set Firefox, the wifi, the keyboard etc. at the next start it shows me the system as if it were the first time and I have to re-set everything again every time.
second, the audio does not work and there are no functions to set it up.
In addition, that touchpad that does not work well is disarming.
I will wait some time maybe in a while there will be new releases with updated sw.
hugs, sonia :cry:

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

soniabu wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:18 am
BologneChe wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:51 am

@soniabu

Try Solus!

well I downloaded it and put it on a USB stick. It looks well done (here the touchpad and touchscreen work regularly); the only thing is that i can't test it on a flash drive but i should install it on ssd and i wouldn't want to do it for testing only. So I'll keep that in mind and in the meantime try to overcome that touchpad impasse on DebiaDog Bookworm.
thank you Bologne.
sonia

I don't know if you were looking for portability. Puppy installs very well under Virtualbox

Born to lose; live to win

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

soniabu wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:24 pm

... at the next start it shows me the system as if it were the first time and I have to re-set everything again every time.

as written above, I would like to make sure that on the next reboot - since in the previous session I saved in the file changes.dat in the directory mnt / sda1 / Live / changes.dat the changes made to the system (firefox-keyboard layout etc.) - the choice to boot from this changes.dat file. So should I modify the Grub by inserting the appropriate choice?
I hope I got it right :oops:
Thanks sonia
P.S.
at the end of the screen during the boot from USB there are some options described:
- 'e' to edit the command before booting
- 'c' for command line
could I use the 'e' command to tell you to boot from the file located in /mnt/sda1/Live/changes.dat?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sonia,

So should I modify the Grub by inserting the appropriate choice?

Yes, that's the best.

could I use the 'e' command to tell you to boot from the file located in /mnt/sda1/Live/changes.dat?

You could but that's very inconvenient to do that every time you boot.
So, IF your changes.dat is located in /mnt/sda1/live/ , make it changes=/mnt/sda1/live/changes.dat in grub.cfg (I assume "live" is not with a (capital) L on your USB).
Still you may need to setup things again to be saved as in the previous session saving didn't occur as far as I understand.
Tell me if it doesn't work somehow, then I need more details about your install setup.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi Sonia,

Yes, that's the best.

So, IF your changes.dat is located in /mnt/sda1/live/ , make it changes=/mnt/sda1/live/changes.dat in grub.cfg (I assume "live" is not with a (capital) L on your USB).
Still you may need to setup things again to be saved as in the previous session saving didn't occur as far as I understand.
Tell me if it doesn't work somehow, then I need more details about your install setup.

well great Fred, I try by editing the grub.cfg. and then I'll tell you what I managed to do ...
I can't detach myself from Linux now :mrgreen:

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

soniabu wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:36 pm
fredx181 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi Sonia,

Yes, that's the best.

well great Fred, I try by editing the grub.cfg. and then I'll tell you what I managed to do ...
I can't detach myself from Linux now :mrgreen:

Great Fred good news.
I) I don't understand how to modify the grub; however I change it at boot time with the command 'e' linux / live / vmlinuz1 from / noauto changes = / mnt / sda1 / live / changes.dat and then pf10.
All this allows me to keep the changes to the system that I have made. Hurray!
II) the touchpad of rcrsn51(also a great one) works very well and I solved that annoying inconvenience.
Troubles:
III) no audio and no video as you can see from the photos.
I have performed an update and an upgrade but I don't hear and see nothing Image.

Return to “UbuntuDogs”