extralibs for portablizing any 'mozilla' or Seamonkey

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

extralibs for portablizing any 'mozilla' or Seamonkey

Post by mikeslr »

All credit should go to fredx181 who developed the technique and MikeWalsh who aided especially in its popularization.

This post provides the files relating to a 64-bit 'mozilla' web-browser. Files for a 32-bit are found here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 670#p61670

I'm sure I previously posted about creating a portable --IIRC, an 'old' firefox-- by simply downloading a tar.gz from the original publisher's repo, extracting it, and adding to the extracted folder 'extralibs' and the script to start the browser so that it would use them.

But I can't find that post. I figured a post containing the name 'extralibs' would be helpful.

You can obtain the package here, https://www.mediafire.com/file/u570edon ... ar.gz/file. Download and extract it.

The package contains the extralibs folder, the afore-mention script and instructions. Also included is a pet to create a menu entry for the Waterfox-Classic web-brower, if run as a portable from /mnt/home. You can deconstruct it and use it as a template for any other web-browser-portable from anywhere.

Depending on your Puppy and your choice of web-browser, gtk3 libs may be required. Best obtained via your Puppy's package manager. Otherwise, ask.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: extralibs for portablizing any 'mozilla' or clone thereof

Post by rockedge »

But I can't find that post.

I know you did because I followed the post's instructions and made one which is still being used on a Bionic64-8.

Could it be this post you are looking for? https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?p=8330#p8330

mikeslr

Re: extralibs for portablizing any 'mozilla' or clone thereof

Post by mikeslr »

@rockedge, Well, turns out that had the post been found I'd still would have provided a new package. The post you found on the old forum provided a link to a different post from which the extralibs package could be downloaded. The link between those posts is broken: well, the link isn't to the correct post.
Those posts concerned 32-bit firefoxes. That package didn't include a pet to create menus. Only providing 32-bit libs I guess it was small enough to be included as an attachment. [The first place I looked for it was on my mediafire account and was surprised by its absence].

The new package has 64-bit libraries.

mikeslr

Re: extralibs for portablizing any 32-bit 'mozilla' or clone thereof

Post by mikeslr »

As the 32-bit package on the old forum is MIA, I've attached a replacement.

32bit-libs-plus.tar.gz
(50.65 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

The libs are the same as those found in fredx181 & MikeWalsh's 'mozilla' portables from which they were flinched. :) So, if you already have one of those you can save yourself the time and bandwidth of downloading and extracting. Just copy the extralibs folder you already have into the 32-bit portable you are building.
There's also a launcher-script named 'gl' --generic launcher :) . When you open it in a text editor you'll find that the operative command line reads:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LAUNCHDIR/:$LAUNCHDIR/extralibs${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$LAUNCHDIR/NAME-OF-BINARY" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"

Edit that to supply the actual name of your web-browser's binary. You can also change the script's name.

As the more detailed instructions here, https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 5e2a#p8330 and here, viewtopic.php?p=61613#p61613 indicate, the extralibs folder and the launcher-script are placed within the web-browsers folder, i.e. where the binary is located.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”