vin

LibreOffice AppImage not running in Xenialpup64 [Solved]

Post by vin »

Hi !
I am running Xenialpup64.
trying to run LibreOffice-fresh.basic-x86_64.AppImage

referred this thread to get tips ---
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=3771

As reproduced in below traceback, I can see 3 issues viz.
1) JRE not installed
(checked https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=2514 ...download link given there is not working)
2) 'Theme parsing error' (don't know what it means),
3) undefined symbol: gtk_widget_path_iter_set_object_name (don't know what it means, some mounting problem maybe?),

Code: Select all

root# ./LibreOffice-fresh.basic-x86_64.AppImage
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx

(soffice:30134): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:193: 'min-height' is not a valid property name

(soffice:30134): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:209: 'min-width' is not a valid property name
/initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/.mount_LibreO9G9r6l/opt/libreoffice7.1/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/.mount_LibreO9G9r6l/opt/libreoffice7.1/program/libvclplug_gtk3lo.so: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_path_iter_set_object_name

Can somebody pl help me resolve this?
Thanks.

Last edited by vin on Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Re: LibreOffice AppImage not running in Xenialpup64

Post by mikewalsh »

@vin :-

Um.....okay. Let me ask you a question, if I may?

Just how bothered are you about having the very newest version of LibreOffice? I ask this, because if you were to religiously upgrade every time the LibreOffice team pushed out a release, you'd would quite literally be chasing your tail from now till doomsday..! New versions come out literally every other day.

AFAIK, this requirement for Java came out around v7.2..? Now; I have a 'portable' version available, which is a slightly older build.....v7.1.8. This was built just before this silly Java requirement came out, and in all honesty, it does everything I could possibly want from it. It, too, uses one of their AppImages; it just keeps all config stuff self-contained within a single directory, and gives you the option to add a MenuEntry if you need one.

IF you're interested, you can find the thread & download link here:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5635

In all honesty, navigating the AppImage downloads for LibreOffice is something of a nightmare.They have three different build-channels, with at least two different types in each channel....and the full range of releases in every single one! It can take quite a while to find one that suits you.

Entirely up to you, of course. If you must have the very latest release, you'll have to wait for someone else to help, because I never bothered with addressing the Java issue. I "side-stepped" it instead! :D

(For some of my older 64-bit Pups, I use a 4-series L.Office AppImage running as a portable - I just duplicated the 7-series 'portable', then swapped the AppImages over - v4.3.4. It's the one I used to use on all my Pups a few years back, and it still works as well as over.

Office apps are not like browsers at all - which NEED to be kept 'up-to-date'. Frankly, if they work, they'll keep working; I've even got the original install of Microsoft's Office 2000 on disc, and due to the fact you could choose which components you wanted, I run Word 2000 as a 'standalone' word-processor. It runs beautifully under WINE.)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Without java some of the Wizards won’t work .. Letter, Fax, Agenda and Web Page, as well as some of the extensions included in the installer ... Report Builder, Script provider for BeanShell, Script provider for Javascript, Solver for Nonlinear Programming and Wiki Publisher.

Personally I've never bothered installing Java and for my purposes/usage I've never missed it. Also over time LO are writing out more of the java code. I just ignore that javaldx libre start up warning.

Find a LO version that works well with your setup and stick with it is my preference. Often upgrades/enhancement actually turn out to be detractors.

Mines stored on my server (old desktop) and from my laptop ssh -Y <server ip> libreoffice ... works consistently well, especially as the server is puppy style (reboots back to clean version each time its rebooted). sshfs mount as well, and files/folders appear as local folders, and if your laptop is powered off/closed without having saved changes, no matter, the doc/spreadsheet is still active/available on the server, just as you left it before disconnecting/powering off the laptop.

With tigervnc I find that you can even drive chrome via a server, youtubes and sounds near as good as if you were using chrome directly on your laptop, and in my case its more responsive as the server is 4 core compared to 2 core for my laptop, and its hard wired/ethernet so downloads/display pages quicker that wifi laptop internet access. Whilst wifi is more than adequate for vnc (screen/sound) traffic between the server and laptop.

Another nice factor is that it the same LO/chrome you run, whatever laptop OS you boot. Somewhat makes the laptop boot OS irrelevant, as long as it boots and can run tigervnc then you're all set. Same LO for me whether I boot OpenBSD or Fatdog or even a 7MB mini Linux boot that uses a framebuffer vnc to connect to the server. A 32 bit laptop OS can run 64 bit LO, come to that I guess even a DOS based vnc might equally do so.

My server is a clunky old tower desktop system, but nowadays I guess something like a pi could serve as equally well if not better.

vin

Post by vin »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:22 pm

Just how bothered are you about having the very newest version of LibreOffice?
Mike. ;)

@mikewalsh
Thanks for your reply.
I am not a paranoiac ( :D ) about having the very newest version of any s/w (and any h/w too).
Perhaps that's why I am sticking to Xenialpup64 because it does serve my purpose very well.
(And still running 8 years old Asus X55C :) )
Let me try out your appimage and revert.

@rufwoof thank you too for sharing valuable info :thumbup:

vin

Post by vin »

@mikewalsh
On https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5635 ,
There are 2 links given.
The first one took me to LO downloads page. After downloading V 7.1.8 and running, got the same 'jre' traceback as I mentioned in OP.
Means that it is also dependent on jre.

Then used the second one ... https://mega.nz/folder/mCgARJAB#gghmc7g04hbytdKncci-eQ
Extracted to /opt and LAUNCHed the script.
But looks like it also needs java.
The traceback is same as I mentioned in OP.

Feek

Post by Feek »

@vin ,
you can also try to download an older version of Libreoffice as an sfs file from Puppus Dogfellow and load it on-the-fly.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Umm......okay. My bad. I don't know why, but that's not the same as the one I use myself!

My own version - that gets regular use - is v7.0.3. I've re-uploaded to MEGA, so try that link again and download the one that's there now.

On second thoughts, I know why I don't get any issues with that Java stuff.....because all my Puppies have Java installed anyway. Sorry, that just never occurred to me..! :oops:

So; if you still find it's complaining about Java, try this. Go to my Google Drive. Download the Java utility, here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y_2q5B ... sp=sharing

.....and the Java 8u291 runtime SFS, from here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13EH-Nh ... sp=sharing

---------------------------------

Install the .pet package first. This is the Java "dashboard", that gives you control over Java. Then, load the SFS (place it in /mnt/home or /inintrd/mnt/dev_save first).

Now; go to Menu->Utility, and click on the "Java Control Panel". First time, it'll tell you a new Java runtime is only partly installed, and to re-boot to finish the installation. This is perfectly normal for Java.

Once you've re-booted, fire-up the LibreOffice portable again. See what happens this time, and let us know the outcome, please. :)

Or you can try Feek's suggestion, above. The community has got LibreOffice builds tucked away all over the place, so I'll be very surprised if we can't get you up-and-running one way or another!

Mike. ;)

vin

Post by vin »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:27 am

Umm......okay. My bad. I don't know why, but that's not the same as the one I use myself!

My own version - that gets regular use - is v7.0.3. I've re-uploaded to MEGA, so try that link again and download the one that's there now.

Mike. ;)

@mikewalsh :thumbup: thanks. From your mega link now it worked w/o jre.
Although it complains about jre, no issue caused till now.

If needed in future, I would go for java utility from the drive link you shared. Trying to keep the puppy less bloated :)

@Feek thank you too.

mikewalsh

Re: LibreOffice AppImage not running in Xenialpup64 [Solved]

Post by mikewalsh »

Ah, good, good. Glad that's working.

Feel free to help yourself to anything in my repos. You'll find the links in my signature - "Puppy Stuff", "More Puppy Stuff", etc. One is Google Drive, one is MEGA.nz, and one is MediaFire.

Mike. ;)

vin

Post by vin »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:04 am

Ah, good, good. Glad that's working.

Feel free to help yourself to anything in my repos. You'll find the links in my signature - "Puppy Stuff", "More Puppy Stuff", etc. One is Google Drive, one is MEGA.nz, and one is MediaFire.

Mike. ;)

Oh Yes. @mikewalsh
That's very nice & useful collection by you.

vin

Post by vin »

Feek wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:07 am

@vin ,
you can also try to download an older version of Libreoffice as an sfs file from Puppus Dogfellow and load it on-the-fly.

@Feek
In order to try out your suggestion, I downloaded .pet & .sfs files.
Installed .pet and then .sfs
Got messages of successful installation.
Upon running calc, the splash screen appears momentarily and goes. Nothing happens next.
Looks like it is not having jre component within it.

Feek

Post by Feek »

vin wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:19 pm
Feek wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:07 am

@vin ,

@Feek
In order to try out your suggestion, I downloaded .pet & .sfs files.
Installed .pet and then .sfs
Got messages of successful installation.
Upon running calc, the splash screen appears momentarily and goes. Nothing happens next.
Looks like it is not having jre component within it.

I don't normally use xenialpup.
I downloaded the .iso, booted it in Qemu and then played with Libreoffice.
None of the versions worked OOTB.

But reading the thread in the link in my previous post (especially page 2) helped me realize, that libgtk3 has to be installed to get it work.

So I downloaded Libreoffice version 7.0.4. (as an .sfs file).

I also downloaded this package from Puppus Dogfellow and installed it by left clicking on it.

Then I loaded the Libreoffice sfs on-the-fly and it seems to work well.

I also tried what terminal says and the message seems to be similar to what you already described:

Attachments
LibreOffice_terminal.png
LibreOffice_terminal.png (14.26 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
vin

Post by vin »

@Feek
Thanks for useful info.

Return to “Xenial”