How to use Pulseaudio in Xenialpup64?

Moderator: Forum moderators

pulseaudio

How to use Pulseaudio in Xenialpup64?

Post by pulseaudio »

If anyone gets Pulseaudio to work on XenialPup 6.4 plz inform me. I tried and tried but in vain. Intellectual Prize on the other side for sure.

mistfire

Re: Pulseaudio

Post by mistfire »

@pulseaudio
QuickPup64 has fully functional PulseAudio you can try that. Xenial was quite outdated these days
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=3171

pulseaudio

Re: How to use Pulseaudio in Xenialpup64?

Post by pulseaudio »

It's just that my dell studio and xenial pup seemed like soulmates just made for each other. The hardware on that pc was seamless with xenial pup whereas all other puppys brought along with them some or other limitations. That's why just always want to stick to xenial or it's stretches. Just wanted to make the most out of that OS.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Better question is why do you want to have PulseAudio?

Is there something that you want to use, that will not work, with the built in audio ability, Xenialpup64 already has?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

pulseaudio wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:17 am

It's just that my dell studio and xenial pup seemed like soulmates just made for each other. The hardware on that pc was seamless with xenial pup whereas all other puppys brought along with them some or other limitations. That's why just always want to stick to xenial or it's stretches. Just wanted to make the most out of that OS.

Strange, I haven't seen your post but have also just posted how good this Puppy is. I'm using the 32-bit and it's the best Puppy I've ever used and tried (and I have used many). Absolutely no issues, a work of art.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

the Xenial's made some the best web servers I've worked with.

I also have some old DELL's that really like Tahr6.0.5 and really came to strength running the Xenial's either 64 or 32 bit.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

32-bit Xenial certainly is a smooth, stable & rock-solid Puppy. Not just in its day, but even now....

Out of the 32-bitzers, it's always been my personal favourite.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

pulseaudio wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:20 pm

If anyone gets Pulseaudio to work on XenialPup 6.4 plz inform me. I tried and tried but in vain. Intellectual Prize on the other side for sure.

I've gotten pulse audio to work as root a few different ways in Debian Dog.

If you can tell us what you've tried so far I'll set up a Xenial Pup and give a try to see if I can figure it out.

Might be a couple of days though...

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I've just checked with Xenial7.5 32-bit. Seems to work if apulse is envoked when starting your player. Checked with Firefox which needs apulse to play youtube videos to hear the sound. So I start firefox with the command: apulse /firefox. Note that your executable may be located at a different location. As for deadbeef, I'm not quite sure. It DOES NOT work if you just change to pulseaudio server in deadbeef's preferences as far as I can tell. However, once again, if you start deadbeef with the command: apulse deadbeef and drop your files to be played in the application, it does play. No need to change to paulseaudio in the player's preferences (but in this case it won't matter if you changed the preferences to pulseaudio server as long as you start with the apulse command). So not sure if it's actually using apulse in the latter situation but the apulse server has been activated anyway. So - First check if apulse is installed, you seem not to be using Xenial 7.5 version. Make sure all running instances of your player are killed before starting the player with the apulse command as mentioned. To make apulse default for your defaultaudioplayer, edit the /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer script accordingly. You will also need to edit the defaultaudioplayer.desktop entry in /usr/share/applications, then run the command fixmenus and then restart JWM to fix the menu entries.
Also - As I understand it, apulse is a partial implementation of the full Pulseaudio module and was included in older Puppys like Xenial. Newer Puppys may have the full Pulseaudio thingy with all the bells and whistles.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

bigpup wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:20 pm

Better question is why do you want to have PulseAudio?

Is there something that you want to use, that will not work, with the built in audio ability, Xenialpup64 already has?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

pulseaudio

Post by pulseaudio »

Was recording on Bary's Simple Screen Recorder, ALSA ruined the audio. Wanted Pulse to have better audio recordings. And i think Pulseaudio is better for many other reasons too.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@pulseaudio :-

pulseaudio wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:17 pm

Was recording on Bary's Simple Screen Recorder, ALSA ruined the audio. Wanted Pulse to have better audio recordings. And i think Pulseaudio is better for many other reasons too.

Nah. You just don't know how to use ALSA, that's all! :lol: :lol:

-------------------------------------

Simple Screen Recorder is nothing to do with Barry. Its developer is - to the best of my knowledge - one Maarten Baert.

https://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

--------------------------------------

The only positive thing I can say about PulseAudio is that it's good for switching audio cards mid-session, "on-the-fly". For the rest, it's just a massive PITA requiring far too many clicks and tab-switching to get anything done. (Mind you, the same can be said for most of Lennart Poettering's other, awful creations.....including the dreadful systemd!) :evil:

I built my own custom, "on-the-fly" audio card switcher for ALSA a couple of years ago. Works beautifully for switching between speakers and wireless headphones, as & when required.....without the need for re-starts. (Just ties a few of the existing audio utilities together with a bunch of scripts). Apulse takes care of PulseAudio "calls" in 99.9% of cases; it's just a case of knowing how to use it.

If you simply want to run mainstream apps/programs as they come, OOTB, then you really need a mainstream distro, since most are built for a multi-user, restricted-permission setup. Otherwise, it only takes a wee bit of tinkering.....which Puppy handles with aplomb. And there's plenty of 'Puppians' capable of giving you good, sensible advice on what needs to done.

It's what we like doing..! :D

...And i think Pulseaudio is better for many other reasons too.

Umm.....let's "agree to disagree" on that one. Moving on..... :roll:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Xenial”