fossapup cannot print from Vivaldi (solved)

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

InTheDogHouse

fossapup cannot print from Vivaldi (solved)

Post by InTheDogHouse »

Fossapup and Vivaldi. When I do File-Print in Vivaldi, I see my printer as set up in CUPS, and select the printer, but nothing comes out of the printer. Am stuck doing Save to PDF, and then printing the PDF from whatever directory I saved it to.

Now in Bionicpup, when I do the same thing, the printer works fine from File-Print in Vivaldi.

Using the exact same Vivaldi.AppImage on both Fossapup and Bionicpup.
Vivaldi 3.4.2066.106 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision 9faa7da6e287d30fe3948ac5d9d62aefe7977da5
OS Linux
JavaScript V8 8.6.395.25
Flash (Disabled)
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.198 Safari/537.36
Command Line /tmp/.mount_Vivald2XjIO8/vivaldi/vivaldi --no-sandbox --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --origin-trial-disabled-features=ConditionalFocus --save-page-as-mhtml
Executable Path /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/.mount_Vivald2XjIO8/vivaldi/vivaldi
Profile Path /root/.config/vivaldi/Default

The only difference making Vivaldi fail to print is puppy version 9.5 Fossapup64 kernel 5.4.53.

Last edited by bigpup on Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: marked solved
bigpup

Re: fossapup cannot print from Vivaldi

Post by bigpup »

Does the printer work with anything in Fossapup64 9.5?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

InTheDogHouse

Post by InTheDogHouse »

Every application I tried with File-Print, except Vivaldi, works perfectly for printing. The exact same AppImage of Vivaldi worked perfectly for printing in Bionicpup. The difference seems to be something different in Fossapup.

dogcat

Post by dogcat »

InTheDogHouse wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:50 am

Fossapup and Vivaldi. When I do File-Print in Vivaldi, I see my printer as set up in CUPS, and select the printer, but nothing comes out of the printer. Am stuck doing Save to PDF, and then printing the PDF from whatever directory I saved it to.

Now in Bionicpup, when I do the same thing, the printer works fine from File-Print in Vivaldi.

Using the exact same Vivaldi.AppImage on both Fossapup and Bionicpup.
Vivaldi 3.4.2066.106 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision 9faa7da6e287d30fe3948ac5d9d62aefe7977da5
OS Linux
JavaScript V8 8.6.395.25
Flash (Disabled)
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.198 Safari/537.36
Command Line /tmp/.mount_Vivald2XjIO8/vivaldi/vivaldi --no-sandbox --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --origin-trial-disabled-features=ConditionalFocus --save-page-as-mhtml
Executable Path /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/.mount_Vivald2XjIO8/vivaldi/vivaldi
Profile Path /root/.config/vivaldi/Default

The only difference making Vivaldi fail to print is puppy version 9.5 Fossapup64 kernel 5.4.53.

Fossapup is built with newer versions of software, more differences than just kernel version.

You are using an "old" Appimage version of Vivaldi 3.4.2066.106
There is a newer "portable" version 5.1.2567.57-1 available on this forum, the portable version is not the exact same as an Appimage, the portable version is a complete self contained package that you can put anywhere on the system (as I have read, I do not use them)

The portable version 5.1.2567.57-1 download link is at this forum post.
viewtopic.php?p=52169#p52169

If you try the portable, maybe read the thread so you know how to launch, there may be a special launch script.

Or maybe you can find a newer Appimage of Vivaldi that may work too.

I recommend the updated browser because CUPS is working for you in Fossapup with other programs.
Good luck.

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

InTheDogHouse

Post by InTheDogHouse »

Tried a new version of Vivaldi-downloaded the .deb from the Vivaldi website and installed. It does print to the printer on Fossa, BUT other things did not work, e.g., in settings could not choose nor edit Vivaldi Themes. making it impossible to use.

Decided to use the older version of Vivaldi, and to just create PDFs that could then be pulled up to be printed.

Then Google Searched some more. Found a page on Vivaldi Forum, https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/48914/v ... printing/2 that showed two things. 1-other users have had trouble printing from Vivaldi. 2-a suggestion to try a Chrome Web Store extension 'IPP / CUPS printing for Chrome & Chromebook's
that works around the problem:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... d?hl=en-GB
The extension requests using the CUPS Printer Wizard to get the URL that CUPS uses to administrate the printer.
Then the extension enables a new printer I.D. called 'IPP/CUPS Printer, which sends printer output to the printer. Works like a charm!

Still a mystery why older Vivaldi cannot talk to Fossa CUPS - is it Vivaldi's fault, or is it Fossa's fault? Since the Vivaldi forum has a variety of software that Vivaldi cannot talk to printer wise, it seems like the problem is Vivaldi, and not, after all, Fossa's problem. Vivaldi users complain of a number of problems that Vivaldi should have fixed.

In summary, Fossapup 9.5 seems not to have a bug. Thanks to everyone that made suggestions on this forum.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@InTheDogHouse :-

InTheDogHouse wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:46 am

Still a mystery why older Vivaldi cannot talk to Fossa CUPS - is it Vivaldi's fault, or is it Fossa's fault? Since the Vivaldi forum has a variety of software that Vivaldi cannot talk to printer wise, it seems like the problem is Vivaldi, and not, after all, Fossa's problem. Vivaldi users complain of a number of problems that Vivaldi should have fixed.

In truth, I'd be inclined to lay the blame at the feet of neither. I would, instead, turn my attention to CUPS itself.

You know who maintains CUPS, don't you? Apple, that's who. And Apple are notorious for changing stuff "on a whim", and presenting it to their users as a fait accompli.

Now, I'm not saying it's anybody's 'fault', per se. CUPS is used by the Linux community because it's designed for an OS that is fully POSIX-compliant, and it saves having to design/code/build this stuff from the ground up. But it's quite possible Apple have made changes in more recent versions of CUPS that don't "play nice" with Vivaldi.

Food for thought, perhaps.....

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Ramachandra Iyer

Re: fossapup cannot print from Vivaldi (solved)

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

Even network printer via static IP socket port is working on Fossapup64. May be slight tweaking required in some cases.

mikewalsh

Re: fossapup cannot print from Vivaldi (solved)

Post by mikewalsh »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:10 am

Even network printer via static IP socket port is working on Fossapup64. May be slight tweaking required in some cases.

Entirely likely. Bill (rcrsn51) did put together packages for the p910nd print server some years ago. I think I remember helping to test it at the time, because I was having the Devil's own time of it trying to get my printer functional under Bionicpup64 in the early days.

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=60474

A combination of that, following Bill's instructions, and making use of the 'Eppi' Epson installer which Bill also provided.....those did the trick. No reason why it shouldn't still work today.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Bug Reports”