Chrome notifications not working properly in fossapup.....a working "how-to"

Moderator: Forum moderators

user1234

Chrome notifications not working properly in fossapup.....a working "how-to"

Post by user1234 »

I have installed chrome in fossapup through quickpet. The notifications are improper. They have white foreground color and blue background color and look like a banner on the top. Even HTML tags like <a> are visible in it. The notifications look proper very rarely.

(NOTE: Answers have been given in this post. So please read through all of the replies.)

This is what the notifications look like-

Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Last edited by user1234 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

mikewalsh

Re: Chrome notifications not working properly in fossapup.

Post by mikewalsh »

All of which is perfectly normal for Puppy. Besides which, the version of Chrome in the PPM is, I believe you'll find, rather out-of-date.

FWIW:-
It's a complete waste of time replying to this individual. They never, ever respond.

@user1234 :- This is a discussion forum. It's not just a "notice board", y'know?

Mike. :shock:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

user1234

Post by user1234 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:21 am

It's a complete waste of time replying to this individual. They never, ever respond.

@user1234 :- This is a discussion forum. It's not just a "notice board", y'know?

Well I meant to ask for solution for this and have attached an image displaying the problem.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

All of which is perfectly normal for Puppy. Besides which, the version of Chrome in the PPM is, I believe you'll find, rather out-of-date.

It's version 97.0.4692.71 that I am having.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

user1234 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:24 am

Well I meant to ask for solution for this and have attached an image displaying the problem.

Hallelujah! There's life...!! :D

We don't bite, you know. (Well; not unless you ask REALLY nicely.....first!) :lol: :lol:

I learnt one thing about bulletin boards & fora, many, many years ago. Don't be hesitant. Get stuck in. If you never ask anything, you'll never get any responses...

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@user1234 :-

user1234 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:30 am

Mm. Not too far behind, then. Not that it makes any difference, anyway. It's not a recent thing; Chrome notifications always seem to show up like this, or did for me for several years.

In the last couple of years, I've found that some sites you enable notifications for WILL show up correctly, in a small window, along with any graphics. For other sites, it'll never show properly; I believe it's down to what software they use to generate the notifications with.

In other words, this is NOT a browser 'issue'. Rather, I would say it's a site-specific one; I've found that sites that use the Disqus commenting set-up, for instance, NEVER seem to be able to get this right. It MAY render okay with Firefox, but it's always been 'funny' with the Chromium-based 'clones'.

It's one of those 'quirks' you just have to learn to live with in Puppy, I'm afraid.

Mike. ;)

user1234

Post by user1234 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:22 pm

@user1234 :-

user1234 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:30 am

Mm. Not too far behind, then. Not that it makes any difference, anyway. It's not a recent thing; Chrome notifications always seem to show up like this, or did for me for several years.

In the last couple of years, I've found that some sites you enable notifications for WILL show up correctly, in a small window, along with any graphics. For other sites, it'll never show properly; I believe it's down to what software they use to generate the notifications with.

In other words, this is NOT a browser 'issue'. Rather, I would say it's a site-specific one; I've found that sites that use the Disqus commenting set-up, for instance, NEVER seem to be able to get this right. It MAY render okay with Firefox, but it's always been 'funny' with the Chromium-based 'clones'.

It's one of those 'quirks' you just have to learn to live with in Puppy, I'm afraid.

Mike. ;)

Well, I have been living with this for quite sometime now, maybe 5-6months since I have installed puppy and chrome. This didn't happen in kubuntu. Maybe chrome's some part doesn't support puppy and OSs of that sort, and is made for only most popular linux distros :( :(.

For me the notifications work very rarely, as I mentioned. For example most of the times youtube shows those kind of banner while very rarely they show proper notifications, while whatsapp never does (whatsapp web). I don't understand why does youtube show correct notifications even at those times :roll: :roll: .

user1234

Re: Chrome notifications not working properly in fossapup<SOLVED>.

Post by user1234 »

Ok.... got a solution for this.

Go to chrome://flags, search for notifications and disable the feature enable system notifications.

(I have only tested it for web.whatsapp.com notifications.)

This worked for me in fossapup using chrome version 97.0.4692.71.

Since disabling system notifications makes it work, my suspect goes to system notfication in gtk, since chrome uses gtk in linux (I don't know if gtk provides that or not, but I do think that it does). If that's the case then I think it can probably be solved by configuring some gtk configurations.

(Please move this topic to Instructional HOW-TO Section > Browsers).

Last edited by rockedge on Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a title change to improve searches

mikewalsh

Re: Chrome notifications not working properly in fossapup.....a working "how-to"

Post by mikewalsh »

Topic moved as requested, and title of OP modified to reflect new location.

I shall have to try this one out myself..!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Chrome notifications not working properly in fossapup.....a working "how-to"

Post by mikewalsh »

Hm. Curious.

In Chrome 99, there is absolutely no sign of that flag, anywhere. The closest I can find to it - 'Schedule system notifications' - is now in the 'Unavailable' section.....and is marked as 'Unavailable for Linux'.

May explain why I've seen a lot less of the type of notifications as demonstrated in post #1. Then again, I don't use the "GTK-theme".....haven't done for years. I much prefer dark themes anyway.

Food for thought, perhaps?

Mike. ;)

user1234

Post by user1234 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:24 am

Hm. Curious.

In Chrome 99, there is absolutely no sign of that flag, anywhere. The closest I can find to it - 'Schedule system notifications' - is now in the 'Unavailable' section.....and is marked as 'Unavailable for Linux'.

May explain why I've seen a lot less of the type of notifications as demonstrated in post #1. Then again, I don't use the "GTK-theme".....haven't done for years. I much prefer dark themes anyway.

Food for thought, perhaps?

Mike. ;)

Maybe try searching for notification instead of notifications. I think chrome has removed support for this features in its latest versions.

I got this solution from https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androi ... -ones/amp/ (in case this helps).

If you find nothing, then the last option would be to ask a question in chrome's help.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Problem identified!!!

Since we run chrome using run-as-spot, it'll also be using notify-send as user spot. JWMDesk Manager doesn't change dunst configurations for spot.

The solution will be just to copy the dunst(the notfication daemon in puppy) configurations from root home folder to spot home folder. (Please post which files need to be copied), though this will still not parse HTML tags like <a>, since dunst doesn't seem to support that.

Use su spot -c "notify-send \"Hello\"" to check the issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TfuCH5 ... sp=sharing.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Solution has been found! Just create symbolic link for /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc in /home/spot/.config/dunst using mkdir -p /home/spot/.config/dunst/ && ln -s /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc /home/spot/.config/dunst/dunstrc.

Though enabling chrome's native notification (or disabling puppy's notifications in chrome) as explained in previous posts is recommended since dunst doesn't parse HTML tags. But since chrome seems to remove that flag from its certain versions, the remaining option will be to just use this solution until chrome doesn't support the flag once again.

(This solution just changes the appearance of notifications, which can be changed for root by JWMDesk Manager > Notifications in fossapup, or anything similar for other puppies.)

user1234

Post by user1234 »

You can use the following as well, instead of mkdir -p /home/spot/.config/dunst/ && ln -s /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc /home/spot/.config/dunst/dunstrc:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /etc/xdg/dunst
rm -f /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc
ln -s /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc

This links /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc to /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc (the system-wide configuration file that dunst seeks for).

This should work for any user (for example, let's say you had run-as-foo, this version should work for that as well!)

Of course, there can be exceptions, like some version of dunst that does not define /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc as the system-wide configuration file. Newer versions though use this file.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

user1234 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:06 pm

You can use the following as well, instead of mkdir -p /home/spot/.config/dunst/ && ln -s /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc /home/spot/.config/dunst/dunstrc:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /etc/xdg/dunst
rm -f /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc
ln -s /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc

This links /root/.config/dunst/dunstrc to /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc (the system-wide configuration file that dunst seeks for).

This should work for any user (for example, let's say you had run-as-foo, this version should work for that as well!)

Of course, there can be exceptions, like some version of dunst that does not define /etc/xdg/dunst/dunstrc as the system-wide configuration file. Newer versions though use this file.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Return to “Browsers”