Vanilla Upup 22.04.61

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

Re: Vanilla Upup 22.04.61

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:57 am
wiak wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:24 am

Actually I've never quite understood why rockedge insisted on still calling it the Puppy Linux forum.

Why do you insist on putting non-Puppy stuff in this forum, when you can have your own forum? If you move your stuff to a separate forum that doesn't say "Puppy" everywhere you won't have to complain about that "obsession" you see.

Why don't you move your Vanilla stuff to a different forum. You can stay here if you want though - doesn't bother me; no threat at all.

First distro discussed on this forum. Let me see... oh, it was FirstRib. The others came over to this new forum later. Always check history before you ask someone to leave.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

pemasu

Post by pemasu »

Have to ask. Is it ok to ask Puppy related questions in this forum ? It sounds like that discussion goes immediately heated when it is reminded that this Puppy Linux Discussion forum is also Puppy Linux Discussion forum. Time for the poll ?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:05 pm

Why don't you move your Vanilla stuff to a different forum.

The title says "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum", getting jammy64 released is clearly a project, and it's a Puppy Linux variant. Where should I move it?

First distro discussed on this forum. Let me see... oh, it was FirstRib. The others came over to this new forum later. Always check history before you ask someone to leave.

So maybe this forum needs to be renamed to "FirstRib", to clearly indicate that Puppy Linux is not welcome here.

Always check history before you ask someone to leave.

I didn't ask you to leave, although that would clear any confusion. I only suggested that maybe you should put posts about things that are Puppy Linux and things that are not Puppy Linux in the right places, so people don't offend you by saying KL%s is Puppy Linux, or don't get disappointed when they download KL%s, thinking it's Puppy Linux.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

dimkr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:57 am
wiak wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:24 am

Actually I've never quite understood why rockedge insisted on still calling it the Puppy Linux forum.

Why do you insist on putting non-Puppy stuff in this forum, when you can have your own forum? If you move your stuff to a separate forum that doesn't say "Puppy" everywhere you won't have to complain about that "obsession" you see.

I also think that anyone who is so negative about anything Puppy related should leave this forum and post their stuff somewhere else. This is a Puppy Linux Discussion Forum afterall.

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:29 pm

I only suggested that maybe you should put posts about things that are Puppy Linux and things that are not Puppy Linux in the right places,...

You aren't exactly telling the truth mr dimkr. Your snide remark wasn't at all suggesting putting post in the 'right place' on this forum:

dimkr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:31 am

If you put something that is not a Puppy in a forum titled "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum", don't be surprised if some people misunderstand it or get confused.

As far as the 'right place' is concerned, it would have been Clarity you should haved moaned for his comment about KL that he placed in this thread. I simply responded to correct the wrong information in his post.

Clarity wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:55 pm

or via a Remaster of some forum distro or via the work done by the KL builders which also generates a great Puppy-type derivative?

As for amethyst, what can I say about the silly opportunist trying to find excuse to join the bully attack. There was nothing in my response attacking or intending to attack Puppy Linux - everything I said was clearing up the desire some seem to have to pretend any KL distro based on FirstRib are Pups (or indeed pretending all distros discussed on this forum are somehow kind-of Pups; wishful thinking I suppose...). And as I said, FIrstRib was the first distro that occupied place on this new forum. Puppy was pretty much the last, but I have never insisted on a name change though 'The Kennels' or Kennel Linux is certainly closer to the truth.

amethyst wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:46 pm

I also think ...

Of course we already know what amethyst 'thinks'

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

And my understanding is that these 'Vanilla-named distros' are under dimkr GPL copyright. So not officially Puppy either! At least that has been stated by the horses mouth for Vanilla Dpup:

So any actual Puppy (e.g. for distrowatch) built from Vanilla sources is to be considered naught but a 'derivative' of dimkr's distro.

dimkr wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:23 am
wanderer wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:19 am

if someone would use the mainstream woof-ce to build a vanilla dpup
that build would not conflict with your distro on the waiting list at distrowatch

I don't have a problem with that: all my work is GPL-licensed. Anyone who wants to build their own dpup derivative is free to do so.

I have only two requests: please don't call it "Vanilla Dpup", and don't call Vanilla Dpup an "official" Puppy.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

As for amethyst, what can I say about the silly opportunist trying to find excuse to join the bully attack

Okay guys, I'm finished with this egoistic idiot and the forum. I won't be posting or contributing here whilst he is still around. Some inflated egos on here is making the place very unpleasant. Cheers.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:16 pm

And my understanding is that these 'Vanilla-named distros' are under dimkr GPL copyright.

GPL and copyright are separate things. My work is GPL-licensed so anyone can fork it, and the name is not trademarked in any way. You're misinterpreting things (again): I merely asked those who create derivatives of my work to name them differently to avoid confusion, especially if they seek "official" status.

To say it politely, not everything you say is objective.

EDIT: look at this diff if you're unsure whether or not my work is Puppy Linux. My work is nothing like KL%s: it's very close to upstream woof-CE and it has every right to be mentioned in a place called "Puppy Projects". Mirroring my criticism of your actions and suggesting that my work doesn't belong in a forum called "Puppy Project" like KL%s, is absurd.

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:37 am
wiak wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:16 pm

And my understanding is that these 'Vanilla-named distros' are under dimkr GPL copyright.

GPL and copyright are separate things. My work is GPL-licensed so anyone can fork it, and the name is not trademarked in any way. You're misinterpreting things (again): I merely asked those who create derivatives of my work to name them differently to avoid confusion, especially if they seek "official" status.

To say it politely, not everything you say is objective.

EDIT: look at this diff if you're unsure whether or not my work is Puppy Linux. My work is nothing like KL%s: it's very close to upstream woof-CE and it has every right to be mentioned in a place called "Puppy Projects". Mirroring my criticism of your actions and suggesting that my work doesn't belong in a forum called "Puppy Project" like KL%s, is absurd.

I have no idea why you are now sending me to look at commits on Puppy woof-CE - it wasn't even anything about licenses or of any interest to me. For a start that is the Puppy woof-CE site and not your fork of woof-CE. The license is GPL, but any code a person does also comes under someones copyright, normally the author of the code, but I am not really interested either way.

I already said I myself had no issue with you publishing your distro creations wherever you wish on this forum or elsewhere. It was yourself and the other who were suggesting KLxxx was causing 'confusion' being on a forum called the Puppy Linux Discussion forum. I did say I'm not entirely disagreeing about that - the name of the forum is confusing - an inheritance from old forum (despite the likes of the DebianDogs and non-Puppy-derived FatDog being discussed on the old forum for years, ten years for the case of the DebianDogs. If the confusing forum name confuses you then why don't you simply petition rockedge to change it?

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

I think the most important is to avoid confusion about where to find what on the forum.
So let's focus on that, instead of the endless repeating discussions about "What is a real Puppy" or "This project doesn't belong in this forum" etc... (very boring and useless IMHO).

This forum is rockedge's initiative to revive the old forum, and from the beginning it was/is his choice to give space for "Other" projects too.

To get back about avoiding confusion:
I think "Kennel Linux" shouldn't be in the "Distributions" area (personally I don't mind though).
It would better fit in the "Forum" area below.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:30 am

but I am not really interested either way.

I said KL%s content belongs in the KL%s forum.

Then you said it's originally the KL%s forum, and if KL%s content doesn't belong in a forum called "Puppy Projects", Vanilla Upup doesn't belong here because it's not Puppy either.

I gave you counter-evidence that shows that my fork of woof-CE has the same license and copyright as "official" Puppy, and a very small diff that's going to disappear soon. Your argument is based on (intentional?) misunderstanding.

Then, you say "but I am not really interested either way" instead of following that link and checking the facts (+35 lines, -17 lines -, no licensing change).

Maybe you should rename this forum to "KL%s Projects" and ban all Puppy developers, or rename the forum to reflect its true nature, but be a nice person and put content only where it belongs.

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:23 am
wiak wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:30 am

but I am not really interested either way.

I said KL%s content belongs in the KL%s forum.
...but be a nice person and put content only where it belongs.

But what do you mean by "belongs in the KL%s forum". What forum is that? Do you mean the section of this forum or some off-site place?

As you well know, and I said, my post to this thread was a correction of misinformation by user Clarity who posted about KL here. That was not me who posted about KL. Thereafter you guys started your usual crap. Just piss off.

I'll leave the moderators to clean up. I'm totally fine, whatever.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:16 am

I think the most important is to avoid confusion about where to find what on the forum.
So let's focus on that, instead of the endless repeating discussions about "What is a real Puppy" or "This project doesn't belong in this forum" etc... (very boring and useless IMHO).

This forum is rockedge's initiative to revive the old forum, and from the beginning it was/is his choice to give space for "Other" projects too.

To get back about avoiding confusion:
I think "Kennel Linux" shouldn't be in the "Distributions" area (personally I don't mind though).
It would better fit in the "Forum" area below.

Right. You can all crap off now. Honestly, I don't know what is wrong in the heads of all you people. Madness abounds here right enough mikeslr.

Oh my g0d, too high up, or too low down. Like some god almighty has spoken. Really what a joke of a clown palace this place is. Status now up the ladder near top of forum page, apparently, downtrodden insignificant-feeling down the ladder (in 'forum' section or something). Put the DDs at the 'top' then and feel better about yourselves. This is same sad moan of rcrsn51. KL is not FirstRib - it was an area for a community blend built how and by whoever so wants. Yep, only KL distros are currently FR at the core. Oh dear, sorry about that too.

As for 'boring'; all the poor-soul moaning about their confusion and despondency and proclamations of Wisdom is boring at the extreme. Not worth the time of day.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:

Status now up the ladder near top of forum page, apparently, downtrodden insignificant-feeling down the ladder (in 'forum' section or something). Put the DDs at the 'top' then and feel better about yourselves.

No idea why you write that, is it directed to me? I was only saying something about avoiding confusion by putting sections in a possibly more appropriate area, not status or whatever.

wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:04 pm
wiak wrote:

Status now up the ladder near top of forum page, apparently, downtrodden insignificant-feeling down the ladder (in 'forum' section or something). Put the DDs at the 'top' then and feel better about yourselves.

No idea why you write that, is it directed to me? I was only saying something about avoiding confusion by putting sections in a possibly more appropriate area, not status or whatever.

Actually it was directed at each and every one of you. Put you projects at the top and arrange some shining lights on them so you all feel better. I am fed up with the whole stupid thing.

For over ten years, everytime I have developed something I have found myself facing ignorant jealous attack postings. LIke Puppy evangelical religious nutcase behaviour. I don't do Puppy - I just did Linux - not even that. I don't see the point of any of this any more. The sun is sometimes shining outside. Let the silly old men fight for status in their imagined world of importance. What a silly place this is. My wife asked me to stop doing this stuff now anyway - waste of time and energy and money actually. Let the boys fight amongst themselves for who gets to put their wee projects at the top of the forum. My vote goes to amethyst since he seems to need some accolades, but maybe to dimkr (who obviously needs it) or rcrsn51, or rockedge (who is doing well since he has the power over the forum) or to Fredx181 who beat off Toni, who also was unhappy that his wee DD mint was compared for using more RAM. This place is 20 years of insanity. Nothing to do with getting older or being younger - some humans just don't feel good about themselves if they are not receiving enough attention. Well, I was actually just releasing distro contributions and countering fabrications about whether what I did was Puppy Linux or not (not being the case of course). But otherwise, as the film says, "I don't give a damn" - not for fame, not for honours, not for friendships on a forum like this, not for "downloads". Yes, I think Puppy was once an okay distro for its time, but think it is rubbish now, just as anything I do may be rubbish too all things considered though. But I don't enjoy putting in tons of hours of work to then have to put up with crap comments from up-their-own-arses jealous fools, who think they are wise. I'm just a primate so let me not pretend otherwise, as are you all. Good luck getting to the 'top' of your monkey trees, but there is nothing at the top. Meanwhile earthquakes kill thousands, such is nature, and other nutcases bomb the shit out of others in their 'territorial' pursuits of madness. Can't be bothered with any further crap. Talk amongst yourselves. Bugger off.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

If the confusing forum name confuses you then why don't you simply petition rockedge to change it?

I am not changing the forum's title anytime soon or probably ever.

Instead of pushing forward and finishing the F96-CE website pages and putting that together or updating, upgrading KLV-Airedale and replacing the SFS-Load mechanism with @fredx181's SFS-Load(fuse) utility or reading some uplifting or interesting things here, I'm posting this. :thumbdown:

The recent conversation forced me to pay attention and caused me to lose my place in a complex build. So perhaps I'll post a rant right on top of everything to be seen on every page request all day long just because I can. :twisted:

Thanks for the disillusion and loss of direction. These days all I need to do is look anywhere else to get that.:shock:

For all you smart people: I am NOT sacrificing unbelievably strong SEO and the huge amounts of indexing and a powerful branding because of some "feelings"......

As they say down the street, "home boy don't play that"......and Raquel Welsh has died and suddenly I feel 61

ally

Post by ally »

that was very diplomatic!

:)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

IMO what's important is to contribute, as in Shakespeare's "to contribute or not to contribute, that's the question" (well ... modified version :D )
Don't want to contribute ..., fine! But then... don't complain please ??!! (edit: although reporting issues is something else of course, often it can be contributing).

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:27 am

What forum is that?

"Kennel Linux" viewforum.php?f=192
or
"FirstRib" https://firstrib.rockedge.org/ (maybe?)

But not:

"Mainline Puppy Linux Distros" viewforum.php?f=114
"Puppy Projects" viewforum.php?f=40
"Puppy Derivatives" viewforum.php?f=33

a correction of misinformation by user Clarity who posted about KL here.

Yes, that's what the first 7 words of your reply to Clarity do.

I think you know what you're doing when you put those comments where they don't belong, and this is the last time I reply to this thread.

Grey

Post by Grey »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:57 pm

IMO what's important is to contribute, as in Shakespeare's "to contribute or not to contribute, that's the question" (well ... modified version :D )

2 EAT or not 2 EAT? That is a question.
Another modification ;) Third place among graphic works for ZX Spectrum at the FunTop Computer Art Festival in 1998 in Moscow.

Yes, it is the cat that is meant (as food). Alf loves cats about as much as Puppy. Alf is our friend :) :

Alf_FunTop_1998.gif
Alf_FunTop_1998.gif (10.36 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Grey wrote:

Alf loves cats about as much as Puppy. Alf is our friend

Haven't met Alf in person, so I don't know, Perhaps he eats our Puppy, who knows :o

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:12 pm

a correction of misinformation by user Clarity who posted about KL here.

Yes, that's what the first 7 words of your reply to Clarity do.

I think you know what you're doing when you put those comments where they don't belong, and this is the last time I reply to this thread.

regarding:

Clarity wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:55 pm

the work done by the KL builders which also generates a great Puppy-type derivative?

The above were the words of Clarity that I posted to correct. My first seven words in reply had nothing to do with the reason I posted on this thread regarding that matter.

Then your snide immediate comment and indeed the stirring it up true reason for all the trouble here since (along with further attacks from your wee friends that followed) were of course then answered by myself. But you are another of the always innocents.

dimkr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:31 am

If you put something that is not a Puppy in a forum titled "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum", don't be surprised if some people misunderstand it or get confused.

As for you advice where KL is to go and presumably me with it...

Let me just speak for myself - I have no plans to move or go anywhere, nor feel I do not 'belong' where I am, but I am delighted that:

dimkr wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:12 pm

this is the last time I reply to this thread.

and that your wee friend, despite his endearing insults, is claiming to have moved even further away.

amethyst wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:25 am

Okay guys, I'm finished with this egoistic idiot and the forum. I won't be posting or contributing here whilst he is still around.

Oh, btw, KLU-jam and Kennel Linux was purported to be about forum collaboration and an example of a forum distro assembled from forum distro project parts. Indeed KLU-jam is currently closely concerned also with this Vanilla Upup forum thread, and also with the archived FirstRib Off-Topic 'Other Distros' Area threads:

wiak wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 am

I couldn't wait any longer for a small frugal installable Ubuntu Jammy based distro and wanted full multi-user compatibility, so:

KLU-jam-rc4
Thanks rockedge for iso/boot/grub general arrangement, and fredx181 for save2flash user-script, Puppy Linux dimkr kernel-kit build: currently using huge kernel/modules/firmware from recent Puppy Upup jammy.

Glad I won't be hearing further from you here though, and I may use a different kernel in KLU-jam later anyway.

EDITED to fix grammatical errors.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

ally

Post by ally »

any chance of locking this thread?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

ally wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 am

Hell no, the mental meltdown is well underway. We've seen this all before, it's not going to end well. I have my popcorn ready and will be watching from the sidelines. Cheers. :lol:

wiak

Post by wiak »

amethyst wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:29 am
ally wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 am

Hell no, the mental meltdown is well underway. We've seen this all before, it's not going to end well. I have my popcorn ready and will be watching from the sidelines. Cheers. :lol:

He's back. Another wee fako, but we knew that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

amethyst wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:25 am

Okay guys, I'm finished with this egoistic idiot and the forum. I won't be posting or contributing here whilst he is still around.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

As I've mentioned to the individual (personally requested before), despite their general best intentions (usually anyway, I imagine...) I prefer my isos not to be archived in more than one place without even being asked or informed. Don't blame me if you get the wrong out-of-date iso. It doesn't really matter to me, but the problem for sure is that the iso 'archived' is old and an early rc that may have bugs that might damage your system - nothing to do with me.

All that work just taken without a nod. Typical bludging when request not to store alternative 'copy' for re-distribution is ignored. Oh well, enjoy your old copy - releases are open source so legally you can make your alternative archive without permission, but the attached image shows you are no friend of mine so don't expect much for your archive from me.

I have purchased longterm cloud secure protected storage at my own expense anyway... Nothing is lost and all is kept current and safe, but why take what you do not like anyway? Those who did not ask do not receive.

And the silly wishful thinking vultures gather for an event that will never come, poor souls. What a shower of jealous nasty people. But it is fine. It is you who are melting in your own ganging up fear. This is a Linux forum - not a place to fear contributions really and certainly not a place for idolatry and evangelisms of official distro purity - pure what exactly? (what the Hell?) :twisted:

I await the further gathering of the vultures. It is always amusing to observe.

Attachments
the_wishful_thinking_vultures_gather_round.png
the_wishful_thinking_vultures_gather_round.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

some1

Post by some1 »

@wiak: Stop it please!!! Seek some help.

dogcat

Post by dogcat »

Sometimes it is best to say nothing.

Sometimes it is best to remind someone it is best to say nothing.

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

ally

Post by ally »

I don't normally bite but ok, so I had to look up bludging, not being from the colonies

"live off the efforts of others"

interesting, not being a clever fella myself I contribute in the way I can, providing a mirror to all the wonderful work done by others, none of which I claim to be mine, the name(s) of the creator proudly displayed for all to see when known

you have recently been pushing how you are having to provide a server at your own cost as you don't recieve donations (I wonder..)

although hosted without expense for the wider world to enjoy I'm several thousand pounds in to drives, docks and internet fees to make it all available, also without donations but I don't solicit them, it's something I can do to help

what you've created is pretty cool, but man, you really need to get over yourself

wiak

Post by wiak »

ally wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:30 am

what you've created is pretty cool, but man, you really need to get over yourself

My bludging comment is just a retort. That's what you should expect from me when you like a post that on this public forum implies a mental health problem. Whether a person has such or not is irrelevant - our health condition is private and whatever it is, but no-one has a right to say such a thing on a public forum like alone for someone else being careless enough to like such a comment. In practice I have nothing against your archive work, which is laudable, but when no one steps up in my defence when pack behaviour shows its ugly face I'm not inclined to continue providing contributions and your actions take the control of my own work out of my hands, which is also fine when I have signalled I am fine with the situation. I am not currently fine with the situation when my mental health is being laughed at and not one person who has enjoyed using any of my hard work has said one remark in my defence from these creeps. Instead I witness your 'like' to such an intolerable comment. Anyway, such actions serve to hurt those who have enjoyed any of my work so you share the blame for that.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Puppy Projects”