DOS Emulator for Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GusCE6

DOS Emulator for Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid?

Post by GusCE6 »

A while back I downloaded "Aklabeth" from GOG Games.

Inside the package to my surprise was a version of DODBox that ran directly on the ASUS in Puppy Linux 6.0.5 Tahrpup mode- right down to being able to drag the game over it so it started as with the Windows version. Obviously this is much more efficient and easier than running the Windows version of DOSBox via WINE.

Problem is it's i686 (or whatever that number is, must be getting old) so it does not run on the Sony in Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid mode. I need a version that does, likely i386 if such exists. Any help here?

Oh- remember that question about boosting the equivalent of Virtual RAM? Not only did it help with browsing and get the SWF game "Norby" running on a hunch I also tried "Sprill and Ritchie: Adventures in Time," which is a Windows game running under WINE with the help of SwiftShader 2.1. It ran, but crashed at intervals. My guess was that at certain points the game suddenly demanded too much RAM and Puppy Linux simply shuts down such apps- well so far this hasn't happened. The game also appears to play faster and smoother, although still slower than normal. This site is great for answering problems- a Craig Ferguson "take THAT, Microsoft Customer Service!"

Now, if only there was a browser able to handle Deviantart.com that would run on that antique, well! :)

ndujoe2

Re: DOS Emulator for Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid?

Post by ndujoe2 »

In you boot manager, make sure that you have the 32_bit compatibility.sfs for your particular version of Puppylinux downloaded to the root directory and selected in the boot manager. Then it should work.

ally

Post by ally »

dosbox and dosemu files here: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Forum_Pets

use ctrl-F or funtion F3 to search

:)

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

ndujoe2 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:25 pm

In you boot manager, make sure that you have the 32_bit compatibility.sfs for your particular version of Puppylinux downloaded to the root directory and selected in the boot manager. Then it should work.

I'm afraid I don't understand this. Does this allow i686 things to work on Lucid 5.2.5? Where do I download it from?

ndujoe2

Post by ndujoe2 »

no it allows apps written for a 32 bit processor to work within a 64 bit processor version of puppy linux

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Three of the files failed to work or was confusing and awkward.

But the fourth and simplest one DID install and DID work. Once I found the proper file and pasted it onto the Desktop all that's needed is to drag and drop the proper DOS file onto it just like the Windows version. Better yet it was easy changing the cog to the DOSBox icon, so it also looks like the Windows version.

It is of course much more convenient to use and it is faster than the Windows-with-WINE way, and it does play games like "Clone" which gives me trouble with the Windows and WINE version. Even demanding games like "Terminal Velocity" and "Slipspeed" work, although not as well as in XP mode- but they work well enough for such an antique.

That's what I like about sites like this and MSFN- you actually get answers to questions that work and they make old hardware viable again.

Now I'm wondering:

1) is there an equivalent for SCUMMVM?

2) Which is the earliest distro which will work with the modified Palemoon 28 SSE browser? And is it possible to install GLIBC 2.27 on it, the RPM installation file does NOT work properly.

3) Is there a file making Palemoon 27+ able to stream MP4 videos? 5.2.5 Lucid does not grant that ability. The Windows versions of Palemoon 27 & 28 SSE from the MSFN site do have this standalone ability.

Again, thanks to all of you here. Now all I ask is that you get me started on how to modify browsers. I'd start with Palemoon 27 to get it working better with Deviantart.com, and get an audio-only MP4 stream for "Twitch radio" since some resolutions for the streams will not go below 720p and there is no way that antique will ever handle that! I miss Flash.

Return to “Beginners Help”