Install Gnuradio in puppy.

Moderator: Forum moderators

Anacleto

Install Gnuradio in puppy.

Post by Anacleto »

Hello forum..
I bought a cheap sdr device which you see in the photo

https://www.mediafire.com/view/2dqq9bqw ... e.jpg/file

I have managed to install gnuradio in fossa64 and Quickpub64, I will describe below the way to do it.

1) Install sox from PPM ditro fossa and Quickpub

2) Install the next to pet files.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mq44jafo ... 4.pet/file

and
https://www.mediafire.com/file/t5hem90a ... u.pet/file

******************** NEW PETs FOR SLACKO64_8.2.1 *****************************

1) Install sox:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/lawz6lk3 ... 1.pet/file

2) Install:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/17v1a3za ... 1.pet/file
and
https://www.mediafire.com/file/sz6k5g4y ... 1.pet/file

-----------------------------------END-----------------------------------------

Attention to new configuration at the end of the post.

After that if you try to run the following rtl command to listen to a 99.6 Mhz fm radio for example, match it to the frequency of a nearby radio station in your locality.

rtl_fm -M wbfm -f 99.6M | play -r 32k -t raw -e s -b 16 -c 1 -V1 -

You will find that it is not executed by the following error.

usb_claim_interface error -6
FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

IN FOSSAPUPPY
If you are in the fossapuppy distribution, there will be a terminal and run :

rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

And then now you can run the command and listen to your local station.

IN QUICKPUB64

Open a terminal and run.

rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
rmmod rtl2832_sdr

And then now you can run the command and listen to your local station.

But since we are not going to be running these commands every time we restart the computer, what we will do is the following depending on the distribution we find.

IN SLACKO_64_8.2.1

Create the rtlsdr.conf file inside the /etc/modprobe.d directory inside this file you have to
write :

blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

We saved it and restarted the computer.

It should work without any problems.

IN FOSSAPUPPY

Create the rtlsdr.conf file inside the /etc/modprobe.d directory inside this file you have to
write :

IN QUICKPUB64

write :

blacklist rtl2832_sdr

NEW CONFIGURATION

On slacko64 and other distributions it is advisable to adjust the UDEV rules, for this we will proceed as follows.

1) We will open a terminal and type the

Code: Select all

lsub

command in my case it shows the following output:

~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0aa7 Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c52e Logitech, Inc. MK260 Wireless Combo Receiver
[color=#FF0000]Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T[/color]
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05c8:0233 Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink) HP Webcam
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Where:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T

It is my SDR device and it has as important information are "0bda" (the vendor id) and "2838" (the product id).

2) Create a new file called /etc/udev/rules.d/20.rtlsdr.rules it should contain the following line:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bda", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2838", GROUP="adm", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="rtl_sdr"

3) Save the file and restart the computer

Greeting.

Last edited by Anacleto on Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
keniv

Re: Install Gnuradio in puppy.

Post by keniv »

@Anacleto
Hi, I attempted to install Gnuradio using your instructions in Fossapup. Below is the output from a terminal when I run your comands.

root# rtl_fm -M wbfm -f 99.6M | play -r 32k -t raw -e s -b 16 -c 1 -V1 -
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

-: (raw)

File Size: 0         
  Encoding: Signed PCM    
  Channels: 1 @ 16-bit   
Samplerate: 32000Hz      
Replaygain: off         
  Duration: unknown      

In:0.00% 00:00:00.00 [00:00:00.00] Out:0     [      |      ]        Clip:0    
Done.
root# rmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
bash: rmod: command not found

As you can see I get a "command not found error" on running the second command. I will attempt to blacklist dvd_usb_rtl28xxu. I am wondering if I should change dvd_usb_rtl28xxu to dvd_usb_rtl2832u in this command as this is the "name" given to my device shown above. Can you advise as to what I should do.

Regards,

Ken.
Edit: I do not have an /etc/modprobe directory only /etc/modprobe.d directory. Is this the correct directory in which to make the rtlsdr.conf file?

keniv

Post by keniv »

Now have this working in a fashion. I put the rtlsdr.conf file in the /etc/modprobe.d directory. I am using the frequency of BBC Radio4 in my area, Sound is distorted as if off the correct frequency. I have used this sdr using GQRX on linux mint without this problem. I believe that GQRX makes use of gnuradio. Is it possible to get a display using gnuradio as in GQRX or like the one shown in your "spektrum" program?

Regards,

Ken.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi Kent.
Happy you can get work.

Sound is distorted as if off the correct frequency

At the moment I don't know why happened to you that, maybe the different devices there are have different behaviors.
Maybe if you shift the tuning frequency of the radio, for example if it is 90.3 Mhz set to 90.2 or 90.4 Mhz.
Perhaps using the rtl command you can change the intermediate frequency.I have to see this.

I believe that GQRX makes use of gnuradio.

Yes it is the basic for all these programs.

I believe that GQRX makes use of gnuradio. Is it possible to get a display using gnuradio as in GQRX or like the one shown in your "spektrum" program?

I have managed to make GQRX work by compiling it for fossa64 but without audio, the problem with fossa64 is that pulseaudio I have not managed to work properly, and pulseaudio is necessary for these programs.

That's why I hope to make it work well in Quickpub64 because here pulseaudio works well.

Kent it is difficult to run these programs in fossa or quickup usually there are many requirements to compile them.

In this moment I'm trying to compile GQRX for Quickpub64, but I'm also starting to work with Quickpup64 and I'm trying to make it work all ok.

Kent Greetings

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi Kent.

Install spektrum in you fossa64, although it has no audio, it is very interesting to use it as a spectrum analyzer, up to 1.700 Mz frequencies.

Greetings.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Have you tried to use apulse ?

For example Firefox in Fossapup64 runs well but without audio but start Firefox in a terminal like this:

apulse firefox

Firefox will use apulse to emulate pulseaudio on alsa and now there is audio through Firefox.

Also for example to run Firefox able to use pulseaudio and run as user "spot", in a terminal:

run-as-spot apulse firefox
keniv

Post by keniv »

@Anacleto

At the moment I don't know why happened to you that, maybe the different devices there are have different behaviors.
Maybe if you shift the tuning frequency of the radio, for example if it is 90.3 Mhz set to 90.2 or 90.4 Mhz.

I tried the above but did not improve things much. I also tried the frequencies of different FM stations in my area. Some were better than others but none were spot on. I then remembered that GQRX showed both a frequency and a hardware frequency. I tried substituting the hardware frequency for the actual frequency I used for BBC R4 that I used above. I did not expect this to work and it didn't.

Install spektrum in you fossa64, although it has no audio, it is very interesting to use it as a spectrum analyzer, up to 1.700 Mz frequencies.

The pet file is as follows.

As you can see from above your thread suggests this is a .pet file but your link points to a .tar.gz file. It also downloads as a tar.gz. I have tried unpacking the tar.gz but could see no way of installing from this. I also tried renaming the file as a .pet and installing but this did not work either. Could you confirm that this file is meant to be a .pet and if so can you re-upload it as a .pet so as I can download it. If it is meant to be a tar.gz file can you tell me how to install it. I would be greatfull for any help you can give me to get this working.

I have managed to make GQRX work by compiling it for fossa64 but without audio, the problem with fossa64 is that pulseaudio I have not managed to work properly, and pulseaudio is necessary for these programs.

That's why I hope to make it work well in Quickpub64 because here pulseaudio works well.

Kent it is difficult to run these programs in fossa or quickup usually there are many requirements to compile them.

In this moment I'm trying to compile GQRX for Quickpub64, but I'm also starting to work with Quickpup64 and I'm trying to make it work all ok.

I am very interested in the fact that you have had some success with GQRX. I have Quickpup installed on this machine but it is the 32bit version. I could install the 64bit version for the purpose of testing GQRX if that's any help. I find the suggestion made by rockedge that apulse could possibly be used to get round the issue of the sound not working in GQRX when running on Fossapup. Are you able to try that?

Regards,

Ken.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi rockedge thanks for you help.

But the problem of these SDR programs when they are compiling only give you the possibility to work with pulseaudio, and although in the end I managed to compile it.

But I did not find the way to appear an audio device where the audio channel appeared.

Very complicated in the end I left it, in fact it should not be easy because in not many linux distributions these programs work and also in some of these not everything goes well.

Thank you for your answer.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi Kent.
:roll:
I have to see if you can vary the intermediate frequency with this command, what happens is that I haven't had time yet... but I promise to look at it.

Sorry Kent I'm very clueless and I uploaded the wrong file, thanks for telling me.

Engineering/Science/Simulation > Install spektrum sdr program

And now the download link is:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g5hh2pix ... 0.pet/file

But now I'm worried if it's going to work, because it was compiled for 64 bits, however I'm going to see if I can make it work in 32 bits.

The same I say for GQRX is compiled for 64 bits, I also until very recently was working with 32 bits, but in the end I had to give up. Although I still work with some 32-bit distribution.

Greeting

Anacleto

Re: Install Gnuradio in Slacko64_8.2.1

Post by Anacleto »

Hi..

I have created new Pets of the SDR programs for the Slacko64_8.2.1 distribution. I have been able to create the pets of all the Gnu_Radio, Spektrum, CubicSDR, Gqrx and Dump1090 programs but I have not been able to create the SDR++ because it need a more updated kernel.

This is probably that this is not very interesting because it seems that the distribution of Slacko64_8.2.1 is a bit stopped, but for me it is a distribution that I quite like and with which I started years ago in version 5.6 and with which I can handle very well.

@Kent
Kent, this is probably not interesting for you. But well here I leave this post in case you are interested.

The procedure would be to install:
1) Pet Gnuradio.
2) Pet Rtlsdr
3) Sox.

In a new post I'm going to put on Spektrum:
4) Pet Spektrum

In a new post I'm going to put on CubicSDR:

5) CubicSDR_v0.2.5_slacko_8.2.1.pet
6) Pet CubicSDR_library_v.02.5_slacko64_8.2.1.dev
7) SoapySDR_0.7.2_slacko64_8.2.1.pet
8) libjack.so.0.1.0_slacko64_8.2.1.pet

In a new post I'm going to put on GQRX:

9) GQRX-2.14.5_slacko64_8.2.1.pet
10) GQRX_2.14.5_slacko64_8.2.1_dev.pet
11) libQt5_5.14.2_x86_64.pet
12) airspyx_slacko64_8.2.1.pet

In a new post I'm going to put on DUMP1090:
13) DUMP1090/dump_1090-Slacko_64.pet

The SDR++ program could not create a pet file because it needs a newer kernel.
I'll try to find an older version or update the slacko_8.2.1 kernel later

Regards.

Return to “Engineering/Science/Simulation”