Need VLC 2.2 or newer (but not VLC 3) for Precise

Moderator: Forum moderators

nic007

Need VLC 2.2 or newer (but not VLC 3) for Precise

Post by nic007 »

Need VLC version 2.2 or newer for Precise. Version 3 needs glibc3 so that can be discounted. Need to be able to play VP9 video which is only enabled from version 2.2 upwards. Please, do not suggest other players (I know some can play VP9), I want VLC.
OscarTalks

Re: VLC

Post by OscarTalks »

I have managed to do a test build of VLC 2.2.8 from source
It is a bit of a challenge because several of the important libraries in Precise are too old.
I have been experimenting a bit though. I did an upgrade of libvpx (for vp8 and vp9) and added libopus for opus audio. Then I compiled ffmpeg 2.8.17 linking against those external libraries. It won't accept ffmpeg 3.x as it complains this is too new! For DVD it was necessary to upgrade libdvdcss and libdvdread and libdvdnav. Some of the needed xcb libraries are missing, as is libv4l (even with this added I don't think webcam capture is working). Obviously you need the Qt4 development files at build time and the core and gui libraries at run time. Anyway, all missing stuff is included within the package and it seems to be mostly working. I added a few right-click associations including generic right-click > OpenWith > VLC
No guarantees or promises, but you are welcome to see if it does any of the things you want.
Uploaded along with the other Puppy builds here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5
nic007

Re: VLC

Post by nic007 »

OscarTalks wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:45 pm I have managed to do a test build of VLC 2.2.8 from source
It is a bit of a challenge because several of the important libraries in Precise are too old.
I have been experimenting a bit though. I did an upgrade of libvpx (for vp8 and vp9) and added libopus for opus audio. Then I compiled ffmpeg 2.8.17 linking against those external libraries. It won't accept ffmpeg 3.x as it complains this is too new! For DVD it was necessary to upgrade libdvdcss and libdvdread and libdvdnav. Some of the needed xcb libraries are missing, as is libv4l (even with this added I don't think webcam capture is working). Obviously you need the Qt4 development files at build time and the core and gui libraries at run time. Anyway, all missing stuff is included within the package and it seems to be mostly working. I added a few right-click associations including generic right-click > OpenWith > VLC
No guarantees or promises, but you are welcome to see if it does any of the things you want.
Uploaded along with the other Puppy builds here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5
Thanks for the effort, I'll have a look.

Return to “REQUESTS”