How to connect to Internet with usb0?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

JASpup

How to connect to Internet with usb0?

Post by JASpup »

Everything appears to work here in 32 Xenial until the last step, browser pages won't load.

usb0.png
usb0.png (15.06 KiB) Viewed 582 times

Normal culprits when you can see the connect icon in the notification area but still not online?

usb0-na1.png
usb0-na1.png (8.21 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Last edited by JASpup on Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

bigpup

Re: Hurdle tether connecting with usb0

Post by bigpup »

Try using the Network Wizard.

Problems like this is why there are 3 different programs available to use.
If one does not work, one of the other ones will.

SNS is not perfect.
That is why it has been updated.
viewtopic.php?t=445

Try installing the latest SNS version 3.2

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

JASpup

Re: Hurdle tether connecting with usb0

Post by JASpup »

I got the connection in SNS after Frisbee.

Experimenting is a good approach.

I wonder if I should be more skeptical.

It seems like it is connected, like maybe I just missed a setting. The Android uses a firewall, but I turned it off and checked its browser first before laptop Puppy.

I tested both Pale Moon and Chromium, the two I used most 32-bit, and neither load pages.

I might try the same Android next time as a wireless hotspot.

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Re: How to connect to Internet with usb0?

Post by JASpup »

I'm geared for this.

My mobile plan reads unlimited data and 10gb hotspot data. I do not know if hotspot means wireless or includes the tether, but 10gb is more than I would probably use in a month in public.

This attempt was in Xenial.

I just installed Tahr Mint and Xenial Lubuntu on my multiboot.

First I will try Hirsute to see if it has the newer SNS bigpup mentioned.
If no-go it's Mint or Lubuntu on the hunt for a working utility, even though Xenial SNS looks like it works. :lol:

Linux Über Alles

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

JASpup wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:17 pm

First I will try Hirsute to see if it has the newer SNS bigpup mentioned.
If no-go it's Mint or Lubuntu on the hunt for a working utility, even though Xenial SNS looks like it works.

SNS 3.2 is not yet built into any Puppy. It is available only here:
viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241

Install it into any Puppy, Xenial or later.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

rerwin wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:56 am

SNS 3.2 is not yet built into any Puppy. It is available only here:

Install it into any Puppy, Xenial or later.

I appreciate the pointer to your work.

Not a question or criticism, but I have yet to learn why integral Puppy components are a forum post before showing up in distributions or the ppm.

It's only obvious to me as a call for testing, if that were requested.

Linux Über Alles

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

JASpup wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:41 pm

Not a question or criticism, but I have yet to learn why integral Puppy components are a forum post before showing up in distributions or the ppm.

It's only obvious to me as a call for testing, if that were requested.

Exactly. Thank you for raising the PPM issue.

Although I test thoroughly, I don't trust that I checked everything possible, so need others in the real world to use my efforts a while before submitting them to woofCE. I think they should also go into the noarch repository but am unaware of an official procedure to make that happen. In the distant past I have requested one of the integrators to upload them and am considering doing that again.

SNS 3.x is a major internal change from previous versions, so warrants widespread testing. I have not seen any report of problems with it, so am tempted to infer that there are none. It has been submitted to woofCE.

Richard

Last edited by rerwin on Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
redquine

Post by redquine »

I've been using usb0 & Frisbee for several months. I used SNS at first (both before and after the update) but had to recreate the connection each time as the MAC address changed every time I connected the phone. I found a clunky workaround to satisfy my inner geek but TBH, Frisbee's a lot easier. It takes a few seconds to connect but with no manual input required and connects every time with Fossapup 64 9.5.

PS: Latest version of Frisbee can be found at viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241 as well but you might not need it.

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

redquine wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:08 am

I used SNS at first (both before and after the update) but had to recreate the connection each time as the MAC address changed every time I connected the phone. I found a clunky workaround to satisfy my inner geek but TBH, Frisbee's a lot easier.

Now that is something I had not considered! Please tell me more about that situation and your workaround. This is an issue that we should work in the thread where the networking download links are:

Maybe tying a connection to a MAC address is not such a good idea. Why does the phone change its hardware MAC, which would seem to be a constant for a device, since they usually appear on an attached sticker?

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Bigpup tries to address as many questions as possible even if he doesn't have a precise answer, which is going to be a whole lot better than the opposite.

What I do not understand is the experimental approach vs. the this-will-probably-work approach. It doesn't seem to me like a utility which seems like it works has a version problem, and if it does why it is not recognized as a bug.

The tether connection looks just like Ethernet with no reported errors. The dialogs open with success feedback. The difference is it doesn't seem like I'm connected to the Internet.

Maybe a newer version would fix this, but I wouldn't think of it first.

Where I am and post from most of the time does not have mobile access, so I will have to explore solutions in another location.

Linux Über Alles

redquine

Post by redquine »

JASpup wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:40 am

Bigpup tries to address as many questions as possible even if he doesn't have a precise answer, which is going to be a whole lot better than the opposite.

What I do not understand is the experimental approach vs. the this-will-probably-work approach. It doesn't seem to me like a utility which seems like it works has a version problem, and if it does why it is not recognized as a bug.

Apologies if my reply was unhelpful. I just mentioned it because it might provide a clue as to why, despite the reported success and flashing icon, usb0 was still not connecting. Updating it manually before connecting (or recreating it as a new connection) worked. So yes, very probably a bug.

I'll report it in the updates thread as advised. :thumbup:

P.S. JASpup, did the error occur when you set it up as a new connection, or when you tried to reconnect to it?

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

redquine wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:27 am

Apologies if my reply was unhelpful. I just mentioned it because it might provide a clue as to why, despite the reported success and flashing icon, usb0 was still not connecting. Updating it manually before connecting (or recreating it as a new connection) worked. So yes, very probably a bug.

I'll report it in the updates thread as advised. :thumbup:

P.S. JASpup, did the error occur when you set it up as a new connection, or when you tried to reconnect to it?

I do not know if it was helpful or not, as is often the case for other demands or technical reasons, I did not try it yet (as is the case where I post from most of the time, I have no mobile data, only wi-fi).

I gather the advice is the same as rerwin's:

Simply try a newer version of the network utilities which do not exist in newer pups yet.

I read pertinent replies but my understanding is more staightforward and relatively lay.

I.e., I am writing to YOU and only assuming the basics of what you know.

Times the most advanced users will answer my questions without getting into the details. Times it is an epiphany, and others I am still in the dark sans enough background understanding.

Alas if two of you, including the maintainer, are convinced my problem is the default network utility that seems to work, I will definitely pay more attention to it.

To your question:

The original attempt was in default Xenial 32. It appears to work right away, but I never achieved Internet access, and reconnection attempts were not an issue.

Linux Über Alles

redquine

Post by redquine »

JASpup wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:00 pm

Alas if two of you, including the maintainer, are convinced my problem is the default network utility that seems to work, I will definitely pay more attention to it.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to be convinced of anything, but it's a possibility - especially as Frisbee seems to work for you.

As I say, I continued to have the same problem with SNS even after the update - but a different problem from yours, by the sound of it! Hopefully rerwin and others can help us get to the bottom of both. :smile:

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

@JASpup

JASpup wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:33 am

Everything appears to work here in 32 Xenial until the last step, browser pages won't load.

Normal culprits when you can see the connect icon in the notification area but still not online?

Sorry to take so long to address this problem.

I suspect that you are getting an IP address of 169-something, which is not valid. You can verify this by hovering over the network icon or looking in
/tmp/xerrs.log
for something like
Nov 7 15:52:03 puppypc3867 daemon.info dhcpcd[4076]: eth0: offered 192.168.0.10 from 192.168.0.1
but with 169.254...

I do not know the cause of that bad IP address other than that something is not set up correctly.

Please verify my suspicion about the address.

EDIT: I just now found this explanation:
If you see a 169.254.x.x address, it means that the DHCP server is not reachable. The PC will not work because there is not a router to or from that PC. Troubleshoot this by finding out why the PC cannot see the DHCP server.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

rerwin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:49 am

Please verify my suspicion about the address.

I will do this but at present face the environmental challenge I keep mentioning:

If I do not have wi-fi, I am stuck if mobile data does not work.
At my normal wi-fi, I do not have mobile data.

I need a good testing environment. I'll post when that happens.

Linux Über Alles

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

JASpup wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:51 am

I will do this but at present face the environmental challenge I keep mentioning:

If I do not have wi-fi, I am stuck if mobile data does not work.
At my normal wi-fi, I do not have mobile data.

I need a good testing environment. I'll post when that happens.

@JASpup Thank you.

When you are able to test with SNS 3.2, please get some information for me. It will try up to 3 times to connect, waiting about 8 seconds between attempts. If it succeeds, I need to know how many attempts it required. You can see that with the command:
grep 'offered' /tmp/simple_network_setup/rc_network_wired_connection_log

If an IP address cannot be obtained, the line should look something like:
dhcpcd[?]: usb0: offered 169.254.x.x from x.x.x.x

I would expect to see one or two of those lines followed by a line with a valid IP address. I need to know how many of the "169.254" lines you see. My PC sometimes shows one such line. I wonder whether the third attempt is needed, at all, for your phone.

If it fails, I would expect three of the "169.254" lines. I think the network icon will show the misleading "169.254" address, which is something else that needs fixing (by its maintainer).

Return to “Users”