LibreOffice.sfs; OpenShot.sfs won't run in Bionicpup32

Moderator: Forum moderators

tucumano88

LibreOffice.sfs; OpenShot.sfs won't run in Bionicpup32

Post by tucumano88 »

Hi to all! New BionicPup user in my desktop computer of 32 bits arch.

The thing is that I'm having a weird issue that never happened to me: LibreOffice. I try to install it through the option on menu. Download the sfs file, load it, install it, all the office apps appears but...when I do click in them just get the super speed sign of LibreOffice open and nothing more. No error, no nothing...download the 32bit version.

Same happens with OpenShot, but in the installation appear a dependency that isn't in PPM so can't open it.

Any recommendations?

P.S: installed with no issues WPS, but don't like it at all

Last edited by Flash on Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title: New with bionicpup and issues
mikewalsh

Re: New with bionicpup and issues

Post by mikewalsh »

@tucumano88 :- Hi....and :welcome: to the "kennels".

Any 32-bit version of LibreOffice is now going to be at least 18 months old, since they stopped building 32-bit versions a year or more back, OK? I don't run 32-bit Puppies very much, and don't use LibreOffice anyway, so can't really help with this.

Same goes for Openshot. It's been 64-bit for at least 4 years now, so the latest you'll be able to obtain will be 1.4.3.

You could try SoftMaker's FreeOffice; this is similar in layout to M$ Office. I do a 32-bit package of FreeOffice 2018, with the 2019 'anniversary' upgrade. You do need to obtain a key from the FreeOffice site, however.....and the only way to get this is by downloading the thing again!

I also have a 'standalone' Openshot 1.4.2, built by battleshooter. I've never known this fail to run in any 32-bit Pup.

If you're interested in these, you can find them here:-

FreeOffice. This contains both 32- and 64-bit SFS packages. There's also a 'standalone' TextMaker-only package.....just the word-processor module, since many people only use this part of any office suite.

And Openshot 1.4.2. This is available as either .pet OR SFS; your choice.

Hope those perhaps help.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 pm

@tucumano88 :- Hi....and :welcome: to the "kennels".

Any 32-bit version of LibreOffice is now going to be at least 18 months old, since they stopped building 32-bit versions a year or more back, OK? I don't run 32-bit Puppies very much, and don't use LibreOffice anyway, so can't really help with this.

Same goes for Openshot. It's been 64-bit for at least 4 years now, so the latest you'll be able to obtain will be 1.4.3.

You could try SoftMaker's FreeOffice; this is similar in layout to M$ Office. I do a 32-bit package of FreeOffice 2018, with the 2019 'anniversary' upgrade. You do need to obtain a key from the FreeOffice site, however.....and the only way to get this is by downloading the thing again!

I also have a 'standalone' Openshot 1.4.2, built by battleshooter. I've never known this fail to run in any 32-bit Pup.

If you're interested in these, you can find them here:-

FreeOffice. This contains both 32- and 64-bit SFS packages. There's also a 'standalone' TextMaker-only package.....just the word-processor module, since many people only use this part of any office suite.

And Openshot 1.4.2. This is available as either .pet OR SFS; your choice.

Hope those perhaps help.

Mike. ;)

thanks a lot

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

If you don't mind writing with a British accent :lol: , josejp2424 has published an SFS of the 32-bit libreoffice-7.1.4.2. viewtopic.php?p=30660#p30660. I don't know if bionicpup will need the Avahi runtime library mentioned by mistfire, viewtopic.php?p=34415#p34415
As you're new to Puppy, just to make sure that you know, SFSes are not installed. Short version, they're 'portable': you load them either from the Right-Click menu or via Menu>Setup>SFS-Load on the fly. If you Save (such as on shut-down/reboot) with an SFS loaded it will be loaded on bootup until you unload it: SFS-load is a toggle.
OpenOffice still publishes new 32-bit versions. Let us know if you want instructions on how to use them under Puppies.

peebee

Re: LibreOffice.sfs; OpenShot.sfs won't run in Bionicpup32

Post by peebee »

Try running loffice in a terminal - it is often the case that the menu items* in /usr/share/applications from downloads do not conform to Puppy's menu structure...

Slackware - AlienBob - still produces a 32-bit build at:
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.2/

* libreoffice-impress.desktop
libreoffice-base.desktop libreoffice-math.desktop
libreoffice-calc.desktop libreoffice-startcenter.desktop
libreoffice-draw.desktop libreoffice-writer.desktop

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

peebee wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:15 am

Try running loffice in a terminal - it is often the case that the menu items* in /usr/share/applications from downloads do not conform to Puppy's menu structure...

Slackware - AlienBob - still produces a 32-bit build at:
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.2/

* libreoffice-impress.desktop
libreoffice-base.desktop libreoffice-math.desktop
libreoffice-calc.desktop libreoffice-startcenter.desktop
libreoffice-draw.desktop libreoffice-writer.desktop

I'll try! Thank you very much!

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:13 am

If you don't mind writing with a British accent :lol: , josejp2424 has published an SFS of the 32-bit libreoffice-7.1.4.2. viewtopic.php?p=30660#p30660. I don't know if bionicpup will need the Avahi runtime library mentioned by mistfire, viewtopic.php?p=34415#p34415
As you're new to Puppy, just to make sure that you know, SFSes are not installed. Short version, they're 'portable': you load them either from the Right-Click menu or via Menu>Setup>SFS-Load on the fly. If you Save (such as on shut-down/reboot) with an SFS loaded it will be loaded on bootup until you unload it: SFS-load is a toggle.
OpenOffice still publishes new 32-bit versions. Let us know if you want instructions on how to use them under Puppies.

Maybe can be that Avahi runtime. I load from sfs but again, just get the opening sign of LibreOffice and nothing happen. I'll go to OOffice if doesn't work and tell here.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Let's try to find out what's going wrong.
For example, SFS-Load josejp2424's libreoffice-7.1.4.2. Open rox, your file-manager: Menu>Filesystem>Rox-Filer. File-browse to /opt/libreoffice7.1/programs. Using rox, the Up-arrow on the far left of the toolbar takes you to a folder's Parent-directory and you'll see the folders and files it contains. Left-Clicking a folder take you into that folder. Scroll down until you see a file named swriter. Right-Click an empty space and from the popup-menu select Window>Terminal here. Type the following in the terminal, without the quotes: "swriter >/root/problem.txt"
You'll then find a file named problem.txt in the /root folder that you can open in a text-editor/geany. It's should/may reveal the problem. If the print-out is short, +/- <10 lines, you can copy/paste it's contents into a post. If it's long you can Right-Click problem.txt, select Rename and add a ".gz" ending and then attach the file to a post. [The forum only permits the attachment of some file-types, .txt isn't among them]. Well, use your judgment as to how to post a lot of text, taking up space on the forum, that only a couple of people will read.

By the way, you may want to first try the FreeOffice Textmaker pet greengeek just published: viewtopic.php?p=38828#p38828. [Although he published it for Tahrpup my experience with FreeOffice is that its products will run under many Puppys]. Although greengeek's pet is just a word-processor, if it works you might consider obtaining the full package from the link he provided.
FreeOffice is a free offering by Softmaker Office. The former only provides a wordprocessor, speadsheet and presentation program; the latter all applications you'd find in microsoft office. Softmaker is a reputable company. My recollection is that for the FreeOffice suite you have to register by providing an email address. They don't abuse that information. From time to time you'll receive the offer of a free font or to purchase the Softmaker Suite at a discount.

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Let's try to find out what's going wrong.
For example, SFS-Load josejp2424's libreoffice-7.1.4.2. Open rox, your file-manager: Menu>Filesystem>Rox-Filer. File-browse to /opt/libreoffice7.1/programs. Using rox, the Up-arrow on the far left of the toolbar takes you to a folder's Parent-directory and you'll see the folders and files it contains. Left-Clicking a folder take you into that folder. Scroll down until you see a file named swriter. Right-Click an empty space and from the popup-menu select Window>Terminal here. Type the following in the terminal, without the quotes: "swriter >/root/problem.txt"
You'll then find a file named problem.txt in the /root folder that you can open in a text-editor/geany. It's should/may reveal the problem. If the print-out is short, +/- <10 lines, you can copy/paste it's contents into a post. If it's long you can Right-Click problem.txt, select Rename and add a ".gz" ending and then attach the file to a post. [The forum only permits the attachment of some file-types, .txt isn't among them]. Well, use your judgment as to how to post a lot of text, taking up space on the forum, that only a couple of people will read.

By the way, you may want to first try the FreeOffice Textmaker pet greengeek just published: viewtopic.php?p=38828#p38828. [Although he published it for Tahrpup my experience with FreeOffice is that its products will run under many Puppys]. Although greengeek's pet is just a word-processor, if it works you might consider obtaining the full package from the link he provided.
FreeOffice is a free offering by Softmaker Office. The former only provides a wordprocessor, speadsheet and presentation program; the latter all applications you'd find in microsoft office. Softmaker is a reputable company. My recollection is that for the FreeOffice suite you have to register by providing an email address. They don't abuse that information. From time to time you'll receive the offer of a free font or to purchase the Softmaker Suite at a discount.

Hi, I was trying to do that stuff, but click over the empty space, go to terminal tipe the command and gives me that swriter is a bash not found...don't know what I'm doing wrong

edit: how can I config for "docx" files open normally. Now appears with a "zip" logo and have to go to abyword or wps writer to open it

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

Looked avahi, and seems to be installed

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

And one more, I've read a little more and seems that I didn't made a frugal install so sfs files can be loaded on the go but it's kind of an experimental thing. The main worry is that I can't reach the swriter bash to see the problem

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hello @tucumano88

Собака here, from Au. I can't help much; my point in writing is to say that I installed Libre-Office 5.3 onto (or into) uPupBB32 as an sfs file and it works well for me.

I did this using the most elementary process - downloaded the file, clicked on it, Libre-Office advised, "I want to be located here".
After that an item appeared in Desktop -> Applications -> Documents -> LibreOffice 5.3. I load from that menu option; I use it daily.

I understand that none of this helps; I write this with the idea that others may want a reliable word processor too.
Libre-Office 5.3 is not the latest version; it's 32 bit, but does more than I need.
As I wrote above, Libre-Office has never crashed, never ruined a document, converted *.doc files to *.odt (and so on).
I have a document that is 10,000+ words long; at one stage it grew to 14,000 words (English words, not 16-bit characters, as counted by the tools menu).
On the other hand I found AbiWord buggy (both in Windows and here - Puppy Linux.

That's my experience.

Cobaka

собака --> это Русский --> an old dog
"so-baka" (not "co", as in coast or crib).

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

any clue about LOffice? No doubt, the last version I can't make it run. FreeOffice it's ok, but now I'm doing a presentation and is very problematic to insert images for example (have to copy to "my documents" root folder because the download folder can't read the images files)

Edit: Any way to put FreeOffice in spanish??? in another distro I managed to do it but I can't here

Edit 2: How to put and app to open files by default? I can't open doc and docx files

tucumano88

Post by tucumano88 »

made it to install english version of LibreOffice 6.2! Now the thing is that doesn't appear in menu and must open from terminal, any way to open from menu?

Return to “Bionic”