The murga-linux forum seems to be back up!!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

The murga-linux forum seems to be back up!!

Post by bigpup »

Try it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/

I think we need to grab what we can! :idea:

I am staying on this rockedge puppy forum.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Dingo

Re: The murga-puppy linux forum seems to be back up!!

Post by Dingo »

Yes, the beloved John Murga legacy is back again! But this time it is time to think how backup the forum content for puppy community, like wikipedia does with its offline version
taersh

Post by taersh »

When I'm visiting the murga-forum it says: READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT LOGIN.
So, why is this here forum going to be shut down, if the murga-forum is read-only?
Doesn't make any sense to me...

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

01micko

Post by 01micko »

A WORD OF CAUTION

The Murga forum is our most valuable resource. I urge all users to treat it as such and not whack the server too hard. It obviously went down due to some bug and that may not be fixed. I'm sure that Barry is in the process of recovering everything possible so only retrieve what you think is absolutely necessary.

@taersh I hope that this forum isn't going anywhere (@rockedge :?): . Moving forward (IMHO) this should remain the main forum and the Murga forum kept read only as a reference.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trobin

Post by Trobin »

I would grab what you want to keep. Which is why I'm copying the
Seeing Dog Puppy for Blind thread.
edit
I do hope it sticks around, if only in a read-only state.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I would echo Micko's advice, boys & girls.

The old Forum's 'revenance' may well be only temporary. We have no way of knowing if it's restored itself automatically after a timeout period, whether there has been human intervention, or what has happened. This being the case, yes; bigpup's right. Certain stuff would definitely benefit from "grabbing" while the "grabbing" is good.....but DO PLEASE treat the old server gently. Don't go mad with it.

"Softly, softly, catchee monkey...", all right, guys? (The key words here being deceptive situation, I think.....)

Mike. :D

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Flash

Re: The murga-linux forum seems to be back up!!

Post by Flash »

What happened was, John Murga died. Someone, perhaps his wife but we don't know who, locked the forum down. Now it's back up.
Chaos coordinator :?
garnet

Post by garnet »

Wow! \(⌒▽⌒)

Hope that helps ^_^

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Flash, you know nothing about the murga puppy forum?
You seemed to be the one that controlled it.
You are the flash from murga forum, right?

I am guessing, it is back up, only to be able to look at it and maybe, get files/programs from it.

But, for how long?

I looked for an announcement posting, but do not see one.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

01micko

Post by 01micko »

I can share that a recovery effort is underway lead by Barry..

I have been informed that if you logged in and posted today that your posts may not have made (read 'most likely didn't' make') the backup.

There was a reason that READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT LOGIN was posted at the top.
01micko

Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:02 pm A WORD OF CAUTION

The Murga forum is our most valuable resource. I urge all users to treat it as such and not whack the server too hard. It obviously went down due to some bug and that may not be fixed. I'm sure that Barry is in the process of recovering everything possible so only retrieve what you think is absolutely necessary.
This advice still stands.

I've been informed that we can't suck up all the bandwidth of the server so please, download only what you need and don't try to copy the forum by crawling it or going crazy.I'll reiterate, the stuff is preserved so no need to go crazy.

EDIT: the warning at the top is now READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

There seem to be some people from the murga forum that haven't managed to make it here.

Maybe a message at the top pointing them over here would be a good idea????
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

dancytron wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:04 am There seem to be some people from the murga forum that haven't managed to make it here.

Maybe a message at the top pointing them over here would be a good idea????
Now that, I concur with, Dan. Sounds a very good suggestion; it only entails some extra text.

Mick, what d'you think? Suggest it to Barry, or whoever is in charge of the rescue effort? I've been posting links to the new forum on as many of the fora I belong to as I can (which is quite a few!), but many Puppians only ever seemed to make use of Murga-Linux.....and then only infrequently.

Worth consideration, I feel. And I'll add this to Micko's statement above; if everything IS preserved, then for God's sake just be patient, guys. This community has been around for many years, and has proven itself to be remarkably resilient; a few weeks/months of "downtime" for the archives ain't the end of the world, y'know?

There's enough of us over here by now that between us we can access/point folks to necessary resources. I'll re-iterate; everything on my Google Drive and MediaFire a/cs is there for the browsing, in my signature. Dive in & investigate if you want to....

PATIENCE.

Mike. ;)

tosim

Post by tosim »

Well mikewalsh-Since I haven't noticed any thanks for your offering up, several times, of your apps, for our dl's, please let me give a shout of THANKS!
TiredPup

Post by TiredPup »

I noticed that there have been new posts made on the old forum at murga-linux.com/puppy. I thought the forum had been made read only. :o
Flash

Post by Flash »

After the murga-linux forum returned, it was possible for a short while to log in and post. That has been changed. I don't know for sure who's in charge of it. I think it might be Barry.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Is it possible to log in there for the purposes of tracking/searching a specific user's posts? (or even finding one's own posts). Or is logging in considered a breach of "read only"?
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

tosim wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm Well mikewalsh-Since I haven't noticed any thanks for your offering up, several times, of your apps, for our dl's, please let me give a shout of THANKS!
Ah, that's the way "sod's law" works, tosim. The most generous of heart are usually the unsung heroes..... :) ;)

Anyway; CHEERS! :thumbup:

I've never had a problem with sharing. Everything I offer up is summat I've wanted to get running for my own use anyway; by the time I've figured out what's needed, thrown it all together, tested it out in pristine Pups, packaged it and 'saved' it to the Drive, it seems somewhat churlish NOT to share..!

That's what a community does. We do what we can to help each other out. And it's quite surprising just what you can learn in the process...

Mike. :D

Flash

Post by Flash »

My previous post was in error. It is possible to log in to the murga-linux forum and post.
TiredPup

Post by TiredPup »

People are still posting in the murga-linux.com forum. It is possible to login by clicking "post reply" button in existing threads. Here is an example of one posted today.
enrique

PostPosted: Today, at 18:23 Post subject:
My condolences to John Murga's family and his friends here. My special thanks to John family for allowing the forum to be re-open as long as it can be.

I became 100% Linux/Puppy user since sometime October last year. But I been more into Busterdog lately. I hope I can continue be a fan here.

But to be honest I am already looking into alternatives. New forum do not meet my needs. So as soon as "murga-linux.com/puppy" gets closed I will be force to move to new distro. So, to all, please receive my Good Bye ahead as I do not know how long we will be able to post here. It has been fun while it last. I will miss you guys.

I know I am not alone. See at this moment I can see:
"total there are 205 users online"
"There have been 40870 users online since yesterday :: 37 Registered, 6 Hidden and 40827 Guests"
"42332 registered users" How many you have on the other forum?

I will be around until the murga forum get officially block.
enrique
Flash

Post by Flash »

Why would you post when the administrator asked you not to?
Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Why would you post when the administrator asked you not to?
Because many people do not read, especially text in RED , lol
:lol:

Signature available upon request

wanderer

Post by wanderer »

why not have the old forum have a notice and link to the new forum
have the old forum be read only as an archive
and open up new threads on the new forum
for the threads people want to stay active from the old forum

that way no one would have to rearrange and merge everything
the new forum could just slowly pick up the active threads from the old forum
and if one needed more background info on that topic
you could just go to the old related thread on the old forum and read it

wanderer
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Flash wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:39 am Why would you post when the administrator asked you not to?
Because you can't legislate stupid. Only reason I logged in was retrieve a pm and that was it.
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

TiredPup wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:15 am People are still posting in the murga-linux.com forum. It is possible to login by clicking "post reply" button in existing threads. Here is an example of one posted today.
enrique

PostPosted: Today, at 18:23 Post subject:
My condolences to John Murga's family and his friends here. My special thanks to John family for allowing the forum to be re-open as long as it can be.

I became 100% Linux/Puppy user since sometime October last year. But I been more into Busterdog lately. I hope I can continue be a fan here.

But to be honest I am already looking into alternatives. New forum do not meet my needs. So as soon as "murga-linux.com/puppy" gets closed I will be force to move to new distro. So, to all, please receive my Good Bye ahead as I do not know how long we will be able to post here. It has been fun while it last. I will miss you guys.

I know I am not alone. See at this moment I can see:
"total there are 205 users online"
"There have been 40870 users online since yesterday :: 37 Registered, 6 Hidden and 40827 Guests"
"42332 registered users" How many you have on the other forum?

I will be around until the murga forum get officially block.
enrique
What is the difference same people , same distro and this is a modern upgrade-able forum - whatever.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

The community has come to the rescue and continues to outshine. I like this community and efforts I have seen from it.

In review, the old forum does has some useful information for the old PUPPY linux distros of the past. And from all accounts here, the OLD forum is just that: Ancient software used to impart information.

On this thread members are asking...no begging, that the community will take Puppy Linux and this forum into the future.

Considering the enormous outstanding effort to get this forum running on modern BB systems, with connections that extend to the kind of things developers use (i.e. GIT), it would a shame to stop what is here in this forum and retreat back to the trenches of old.

Maybe great mind here will move to maintain the growth this forum has started....fingers crossed to benefit all members past, present & future. Many most modern BB users are accustomed to this forum's format.

Make a good choice for everyone, if at all possible, as Puppy LInux will continue to mature into the future years with younger people constantly finding favor. This shiny new forum appeals.

One excellent suggestion in this thread is to post on the old forum a request to stop its use and ask that all NEW PUPs and DOGs list their distros here instead of the trenched old forum. A single pre-screen there would be sufficient. The advantage is that in the future there will be more people who know about this BB software, than the old software. That, I am sure, is reason to continue to florish here on this PUPPY Linux Forum.

Knowledge and lessons learned would be consistent with the EasyOS/EasyPUP forum that BarryK has working. A blending of BB knowledge going forward.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-

My view is that there needs to be a balance.

I agree, the entrenched "bickering" we had here, during the early days after the old forum went down, as to layout of this forum (and how best to utilize it), may well have put many of the old forum's regulars off the move. Many people get very used to the way something works and, especially as they get older, become extremely resistant to what they perceive as "change for the sake of change".

Their view would have been, "This forum still works. What's all the fuss about?" Too many people live in the here & now. An eye to future developments/ directions doesn't enter their thinking.....at all. Until it all suddenly blows up in their face..! :roll:

--------------------------------------------

- Maintain the old forum in 'read-only' mode, as an historical, public-access archive. Disable logging-in/posting/replying.....in fact, ALL user interactions with the exception of browsing/reading. Enforce this, if necessary.

- Encourage 'refugees' from the old forum to join this one, while making it perfectly clear that this forum is for posting, the old one is for reference-only.

I see no reason why this couldn't work.

-----------------------------------------------

Whilst I accept that the community wants to move forward - good idea! - we also don't want to lose access to everything we've achieved up to this point. Communities tend to be defined, not only by their current actions, but also by their past achievements. There's still plenty of Puppians out there keeping very old hardware going, where modern Pups simply WILL NOT RUN.

Compromise is the art of the possible. You can never please everybody, all of the time, but it's perfectly possible to find a balance of aspects that will please the majority of people, MOST of the time.....

The majority of people fall into one of two categories:-

Those that never look back, always looking forwards, constantly wanting new experiences/new ways of doing things - after all, newer must ALWAYS be better, no??! - (the somewhat vulgar phrase "Fresh meat" springs to mind here). And those that live in the past, always viewing previous times through rose-tinted spectacles..... The balance comes from anticipating the benefits of future developments, while accepting those already achieved in the past......acknowledging the merits of both.

Mike. ;)

TiredPup

Post by TiredPup »

darry19662018 wrote:
What is the difference same people , same distro and this is a modern upgrade-able forum - whatever.
I get it. The new forum is a forum just the same and will work as well if not better than the old forum. :thumbup2:

He who has the keys to the old forum at murga-linux.com has indicated an intent to preserve it as an historical record and hopes that it can be maintained so that all the valuable info posted there is available to puppy users. It has been asked that the forum be treated as "read-only" ( I believe to limit bandwidth consumption and to help maintain stability of that forum) while its future is being decided. I read the posts that BarryK made on his blog regarding the matter and this is what I gleaned from it.

I don't think that it is to much to ask that people be respectful of the circumstances. If that forum goes down for any reason I would think it unlikely that it would ever be resurrected.
tosim

Post by tosim »

I whole-heartedly agree with above post.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

I edited a post there today (deleted an old version of a pet package so that the new package can be downloaded from here). I think this sort of editing should be allowed.

Return to “Users”