Which machines have no boot device menus and need to have boot order changed before booting from USB

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

williwaw

Which machines have no boot device menus and need to have boot order changed before booting from USB

Post by williwaw »

I am researching specifically about which machines do not have firmware boot device selector menus and writing a page to assist newcomers to boot with USB drives. I know boot order can be changed in the setup utility and for machines without boot device menus this is the only way to boot from usb
Which makes and models have you found that lack a boot device menu and force the user to configure the boot order?

thanks
Last edited by williwaw on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
bigpup

Re: BIOS and UEFI boot menus

Post by bigpup »

Are you asking about a boot device menu?
If yes.
I think you are.

All computer manufactures are using commercial grade legacy bios or UEFI.
Having the ability to have it boot, to a selection menu, for what device to boot from, is a common feature.
Usually, just as the computer starts, press some F key, to go to, this boot device menu.
Usually F7, F9, F12, escape, etc.....
It is up to the computer manufacture, what F key.
Each manufacture, chooses a different F key, to access the boot device menu.
Should provide the info in the owners manual. (we do not need no stinking manual)! :lol:

I have two computers.
One you press F9.
The other one press F11.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

williwaw

Re: BIOS and UEFI boot menus

Post by williwaw »

yes, boot device menus. I have edited the opening post to clarify. I am familiar with the how each mfg has their own F key or ESC, delete etc. when they supply the menu, and have found charts for most common usages. It's the ones that do not supply the boot device menu and only provide access through an edit of the boot order in the setup utility I wish to learn more about.

Of course if you have found machines that are more trouble than most to bring up the boot device menu, I would like to also document that behavior.
mikewalsh

Re: Which machines have no boot device menus and need to have boot order changed before booting from USB

Post by mikewalsh »

In some respects, this is one of those "How long is a piece of string?"-type questions, isn't it?

As bigpup points out, it's different for every manufacturer as to how you're able to access these things. I've often felt this is one area where there should be a degree of 'standardization'; after all, I know manufacturers want you to use their product over a competitor's, but why make life arbitrarily hard just for the sake of it?

I don't have experience with that great a range of hardware, I'll be honest.....perhaps 4 or 5 different machines over the last 30-odd years. All had a separate "one-time boot-selection" menu present & correct; the only one that ended up without one was my previous desktop, the old Compaq.....but that was mainly due to the need for a BIOS re-flash to accommodate the dual-core CPU I upgraded to, and was a saga in itself (which I am NOT going into here), ending up with something of a Frankenstein "hybrid".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Users”