How to run a Appimage in Puppy Linux

Moderator: Forum moderators

BarryK

Re: How to run a Appimage in Puppy Linux

Post by BarryK »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:41 pm
BarryK wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:06 am

Hi guys,
I have started planning an appimage installer, and I need a type-1 appimage to play with, but can't find one.

Does anyone know where one is located?

If you are looking for the older appimages (what you call type-1 perhaps :?: ), see here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/
The newer "type' is different, 64-bit mostly, made (in a way) by using mksquashfs (extract by e.g. ./my-appimage --appimage-extract, and you get "squashfs-root" directory)

I don't think they are type-1 appimages.
type-1 appimages are actually iso files. See here how 'file' is used to detect them:

https://gitea.nek0.eu/nek0/nixpkgs/comm ... ignore-eol

type-2 appimages were introduced in November 2016, and it seems there aren't any type-1 left anywhere online.
So I won't bother with detecting whether an appimage is type-1 or type-2

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@BarryK :-

From what I vaguely recall the "Type-1" AppImages also needed a special, binary extraction utility in order to open them up. The "Type-2" variant is far, far easier to work with...

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

pup2023

Post by pup2023 »

tmi

KISS. (Keep it simple stupid)

Last edited by pup2023 on Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(FatDog & Slacko user / all Puppy Linux - test) FatDog-812

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

pup2023 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:44 am

tmi

KISS. (Keep it simple stupid)

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=9158

Easy to say. Not easy to do when one of the objectives of this Forum is to help everyone (newbies and experts) to understand circumstances which are varied and complex, to learn, and to overcome the misinformation they may have acquired; and their misinterpretations. While they may share much with that used by others, each of us speaks a unique language resulting respectively from our unique experiences.

It's easy to keep the discussion of the variability of hydrogen simple. Not so much the variability human DNA composed of 23 pairs of chromosomes, each chromosome, itself, consisting of complex molecules.

There are now over 6000 Puppy variations --even disregarding Kennel-OSes, debian-dogs and the Puppy-like OSes FatDog and EasyOS. Each have similarities and differences. Our discussions have to identify both similarities and differences. Not so simple. It is our ability to make and communicate fine distinctions which makes Humans unique among the species. One of the purposes of this Forum is to provide with respect to anything relating to a 'small, portable' operating systems, a place where those communications can take place.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

I agree with @mikeslr , although KISS is generally a good thing, not everything appears to be simple, my (simple) opinion is that "simple" doesn't apply to all (unfortunately ;) ).
EDIT: Regarding your statement about "too much info" ("tmi" also in other thread), I think it's always better than "too little info" (or no info) and your posts are often an example of "too little" IMO, so you could put some more effort in writing posts, so that we all can understand better and then can have some meaning/value.

Return to “AppImages, Snaps and Flatpaks”