DVD ripping and VAMPS shrink. How??

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

greengeek

DVD ripping and VAMPS shrink. How??

Post by greengeek »

I used Pdvdrsab to rip a DVD and ended up with a 5 Gb (approx) vob file but that is too big to burn to a dvd-r.

When i look at the menu in Pdvdrsab it appears as if I should be able to select an "existing mpg or vob to shrink" in order to make it small enough to burn. I think it is supposed to use "VAMPS".

However when i try this (on Tahr32) it creates a new vob that is 0 bytes. (ie does nothing even though it says completed).

Has anyone successfully done this?

If not, what method is best to shrink the vob size to fit on a burnable dvd please? I assume that I need to shrink the resolution from 720x576 to something like 640x512 (to maintain the aspect ratio) or else the vob will not shrink.

Any thoughts please?

SUMMARY of results

Thanks everybody for a lot of suggestions and info.
This summary is a work in progress as I test each method:

My conclusion so far is that vamps is unreliable for shrinking media especially if the user is inexperienced, or the disc is scratched, or maybe also depending on how the media is structured across the disc. I could not get good integrity of the entire film when using vamps.

Successful methods:

NOTE: before doing any video processing set the Puppy up to have as much memory as possible, plenty of swap partition space and plenty of working room on disc.
(My preferred method of achieving this - especially on a RAM-challenged machine - is here )

I will post some working solutions below:
(In no particular order - be prepared to try anything):

Solution 1:

a) Copy the entire dvd film content (no menus or chapters) to one large vob file:
vobcopy /dev/sr0 --large-file
(Substitute a different value if your optical drive is not showing as sr0)
Links: here and here

b) Use ffmpeg to shrink the largefile:
ffmpeg -y -i input.vob -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 final.vob
(Change the "pal" to "ntsc if required and/or change the 4:3 parameter to 16:9 if it's a widescreen format)
Link: here

c) Put a blank dvd in the drive
Use pburn and select the "Burn Video" mode.
Choose the shrunken vob file from the step above.
Be patient.

Solution 2:
In situations where vobcopy (or similar) produces multiple vobs that need to be combined before DVD creation then I can use the merge script from wizard here
(with one slight modification - using only pburn for the final automatic author/burn rather than pdvdrsab)

Merge multiple vob to dvd:
-put vob files in a directory
-copy merge_video.sh to the directory and set permissions to executable
-edit merge_video.sh to match input vob file names
-open a terminal in the directory and type: ./merge_video.sh
-press enter and it will create a single dvd compatible output.mpg file
-use pdvdrsab to shrink output.mpg if required, pdvdrsab will name the output file to a .vob, rename it back to a .mpg
-use pburn to burn dvd

Solution 3:

Last edited by greengeek on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
amethyst

Re: DVD ripping and VAMPS shrink. How??

Post by amethyst »

I used to download these VOB files of dvd's ripped, play the appopriate VOB file with and record (convert) it at the same time to mp4 with VLC. Also FFConvert may work, I just find the settings a bit confusing. BTW - Did you add the correct shrink size for the operation when using Pdvdrsab?

williams2

Post by williams2 »

I usually use vobcopy to rip a dvd.

Just type vobcopy to rip a dvd to the current working dir.

For help, type vobcopy --help

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:31 am

I used to download these VOB files of dvd's ripped, play the appopriate VOB file with and record (convert) it at the same time to mp4 with VLC. Also FFConvert may work, I just find the settings a bit confusing. BTW - Did you add the correct shrink size for the operation when using Pdvdrsab?

It did not let me adjust this when i selected shrink from existing vob. Only seemed to allow that setting to be changed when ripping direct from DVD. I probably need to check other puppies in case this is a version issue.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

williams2 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:12 pm

I usually use vobcopy to rip a dvd.

Just type vobcopy to rip a dvd to the current working dir.

For help, type vobcopy --help

Can you recall what format and filesize you ended up with after ripping a normal shop-bought DVD?

williams2

Post by williams2 »

It's been a long time since I last ripped a dvd.

vobcopy creates a folder with vob files inside.
By default it rips the longest movie.
I don't remember vobcopy creating vob files that take up more space than a dvd.

Commercial dvds often appear to have much bigger files on the dvd than the maximum size of a dvd, to prevent copying or ripping.
I don't remember vobcopy creating vobs that were larger than the maximum size of a dvd.

You can use the folder of vobs to burn a dvd.
You can play the folder of vobs with a media player.
You can make an mp4 from the folder using, for example, handbrake.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

williams2 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:30 pm

I don't remember vobcopy creating vob files that take up more space than a dvd.

In my case it creates a single vob of 5.4GB
I am confused by this as i read elsewhere that vob files should be no more than 1GB
EDIT : My mistake - it was pdvdrsab that created the one large file. Vobcopy failed to rip the dvd due to errors but i think this is drive related as the dvd i am trying to restore is badly scratched. I will try a different drive and try vobcopy again.
EDIT 2 : vobcopy created 2x 2048MB vobs and 1x 1024MB vob. (Using a different dvd drive which seems to have better scratch/error correction)
So i tried using vamps to shrink one of the 2048MB files and it did shrink the vob to the size I had selected. However it appears that it truncated the original vob rather than shrinking by reducing quality or bit rate etc. Not a satisfactory outcome.
It seems that vamps will not attempt to shrink the one big 5.4GB vob that was produced by pdvdrsab.
More testing required.

You can use the folder of vobs to burn a dvd.

What I read suggests that there is a true dvd spec that requires a specific structure, but that other structures may work depending on the player. I want to try to avoid creating a non-standard structure that plays fine on my newish dvd player but not on other family members older dvd players.

You can make an mp4 from the folder using, for example, handbrake.

Yes, I used ffconvert to change the 5.4GB vob to a 700MB mp4 successfully - but i was wondering if there is now some way to take that smaller file and burn it back to a dvd-r in such a format that it will guarantee being read on all dvd players - including those that do not have the ability to read mp4.

Some of the tutorials i have seen say it is not possible without using third party tools like handbrake - but this surprises me. I would have thought it would be possible - even if I had to break the mp4 into individual "chapters" or something then re-encode as smaller vobs.

If "vamps" is able to shrink direct from dvd then i am hoping it should be able to shrink from the 5.4GB vob file also.
EDIT : Nope, tried it again but vamps does not shrink the supersized vob. Says that it did, but just created an empty file.
*** When i say "vamps" i mean the shrink function that is presented by the pdvdrsab gui.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Before I lose it i want to post a link to what seems an excellent tutorial that discusses using ffmpeg etc to create a dvd.

https://www.linux.com/training-tutorial ... -burn-dvd/

Seems very relevant to the tools we have aboard Puppy.

edit: and another link. More complex but does help understand dvd structure stuff:
https://www.benhup.com/technology/dvd-o ... ith-ffmpeg

and very good link re ffmpeg file size shrinkage:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ith-ffmpeg

and also concatenation of small vobs into a larger vob using ffmpeg:
https://medium.com/swlh/a-first-look-at ... 537c65499e

Last edited by greengeek on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

In windows I still use dvdshrink.... well, when I use to do DVD backups...by the way dvdshink is abandoned ware and there are many fakes out there. I just did a little google to download it and the search is full of fakes...beaware.

The key is to use dvdfab to bypass the dvd encrypting key...and just use dvdshrink as normal...

for blueray I use to use makemkv: https://www.makemkv.com/

and then transcode it using other software...but since computer harddrives are pretty big nowadays, I don't even touch the mkv file just play it....most video players support that file...

Doom9 forums are the experts in this: http://forum.doom9.org/

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

joet12345 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:00 am

Doom9 forums are the experts in this: http://forum.doom9.org/

Thanks for the link. Seems that site has a section specifically for *nix and there looks to be some tasty stuff there at this link:
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php ... 6e715&f=63

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

From a terminal, run: vamps -e 1.0 -a 1 -s 1 < movie.vob > movie-shrunk.vob

This shrinks the .vob file using evaporation factor 1.0, audio stream 1 and subtitle stream 1

------------------

Here is a test:

I ripped a DVD movie using "mplayer -dumpstream" and shrunk it with vamps. The .vob file was 3.8GB.
I ran ffmpeg and converted the .vob file to a 700MB .mp4 file.
I ran ffmpeg and converted the .mp4 file back to a DVD-compatible .vob file. The new size was 2.3GB.
I authored the .vob file into a 2.3GB .iso file.
I burned the .iso file to a DVD+RW disc.
It played fine in a computer DVD drive, but I did not test it in a standalone DVD player.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm

This shrinks the .vob file using evaporation factor 1.0, audio stream 1 and subtitle stream 1

------------------

Here is a test:

I ripped a DVD movie using "mplayer -dumpstream" and shrunk it with vamps. The .vob file was 3.8GB.
I ran ffmpeg and converted the .vob file to a 700MB .mp4 file.
I ran ffmpeg and converted the .mp4 file back to a DVD-compatible .vob file. The new size was 2.3GB.
I authored the .vob file into a 2.3GB .iso file.
I burned the .iso file to a DVD+RW disc.
It played fine in a computer DVD drive, but I did not test it in a standalone DVD player.

Thank you. I will start testing this tonight and will report how i get on.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I ripped a DVD movie using "mplayer -dumpstream" and shrunk it with vamps.

I have failed at the first hurdle.

Booted Bionic32 and DpupStretch7.5 (my Tahr32 does not have mplayer) but was unable to get any response from mplayer -dumpstream other than just the help list. Any tips which mplayer version, Puppy version, or other conditions i need to get the dvd ripped this way? (I also tried mplayer -dumpstream sr1 but no joy)
Cheers!

EDIT : Hold the bus. I just tried playing the dvd - which brought up gnome mplayer, then in a terminal i entered mplayer -dumpstream /dev/sr1 and I am seeing some data dumping. Need to reboot with more swap space then will report back...

EDIT2 : OK, well the stream dump seemed to work - i ended up with a 5.7GB file called "stream.dump" in my working directory - but when I tried to play it with mplayer it almost played ok, but miraculously included spanish and other language menus overlayed onto the cartoon contents in a pixelated mass that looked somewhat Salvador Dali-esque.

Easy to tell that I don't know how to use this method... (or else maybe my dvd is more complex than this method can handle)

Next i will try the vamps shrink syntax but operating on the 5.4GB vob created by pdvdrsab.

Last edited by greengeek on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@greengeek - How does this copying/shrinking of a dvd work like (pburn has this option)? Have you tried it (you obviously need the source DVD).

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:08 am

@greengeek - How does this copying/shrinking of a dvd work like (pburn has this option)? Have you tried it (you obviously need the source DVD).

Have not tried pburn - i have not got to that stage yet.
So far just using pdvdrsab which has rip, shrink and author functions.
(and also trying various cli methods to get a vob file or files that i can burn to a dvd-r or dvd-rw)

There appears to be a whole lot to understand about dvds...
(They are designed to be overly complex so as to avoid copying - but hey - not every dvd is covered by copyright so i need to understand how to get a badly scratched dvd ripped and copied so that a 2 year old grandchild can be pacified...)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

greengeek wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:40 am

have failed at the first hurdle.

The above test was done in the Starter Kit with tools designed for the Starter Kit.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I finally reached a goal I've been trying to achieve for a while now....I got Devede to run well and DVDStyler almost there.

My wife is a Kindergarten teacher plus at time teaches pre-schooler's and the ablitity to RIP-copy and or produce DVD's that function on an average machine is important. I could use Devede on WeeDog and the DebianDog's or tools on Windows to do the work but I really wanted to do all of the production on a Puppy Linux Bionic64 because my burner loves Puppy.

It has always been the problem with Python3 getting important modules to work in Puppy that are required by Devede. Well somehow I got it all to work. I will review the steps I took which will not be easy, so I can share what I did. I think it was 5 packages for python3 installed with a combo of Pkg-cli and the PPM (maybe even PIP) that did the trick.

Main thing is I was able to make 2 DVD's one with menus and other just plays a movie, and they work on both of our stand alone DVD players and also play great with Puppy's mpv or VLC.

(9).png
(9).png (111.11 KiB) Viewed 907 times

First attempts only the last 2 options where available, but after installing submux-dvd with the PPM it did the trick and all options now work.

(10).png
(10).png (49.58 KiB) Viewed 906 times
wizard

Post by wizard »

@greengeek

With dpup stretch 7.5rc5 I have used pdvdrsab to rip, shrink (try size 3900), author, and burn dvd's. One important factor that hasn't been mentioned is the output file must be written to a ext3 or 4 partition, may also work on ntfs.

Using mplayer to rip a dvd can sometimes bypass encryption that causes other linux methods to fail. It produces one large .vob that requires further processing to shrink and author before burning.

Attached is a zip file with dvd copy notes I've made for myself along with a couple of bash scripts for mplayer & mencoder you may find useful. You have to edit them to fit your needs and be sure you make them executable.

wizard

dvdcopy.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Big pile of OLD computers

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wizard The instructions alone are worth gold. The scripts are very helpful. Thanks for the share.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

Glad you found it useful, as I said, just "notes to self" on what & how I got things to work. When you don't do any copying for a while it's easy to forget what worked, anyway it is for me. The different methods have success rates that depend on if and what kind of encryption was used on the original. Lots of good info on the old forum and members with a lot greater knowledge.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Grey

Post by Grey »

You can try Handbrake. Here's version for Fossapup. The only limitation is the need for GStreamer for live preview. If you want, you can install GStreamer from PPM - but in principle, it is not needed for encoding/decoding DVDs.

handbrake.png
handbrake.png (231.53 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Unfortunately I could not get this to work. Initialy I got the following error:

Code: Select all

root# vamps -e 1.0 -a 1 -s 1 < test.vob > test-shrunk.vob
vamps: Fatal: Bad pack start code at 135168: 00000000

Then I thought maybe the < > characters should not be there but that did not work either:

root# vamps -e 1.0 -a 1 -s 1 test.vob  test-shrunk.vob
Standard input is not a regular file and -S option not given.
Vamps V0.99.2

Maybe the vob to be converted is somehow damaged.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:08 am

How does this copying/shrinking of a dvd work like (pburn has this option)? Have you tried it (you obviously need the source DVD).

Oh yeah - pburn DOES have this option. I thought it was burn only. Thanks for the heads up. Will give this a try.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

wizard wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:26 pm

Attached is a zip file with dvd copy notes I've made for myself along with a couple of bash scripts for mplayer & mencoder you may find useful. You have to edit them to fit your needs and be sure you make them executable.
wizard

Excellent resource - thanks!

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

To rip from the command line with mplayer, use:

mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr1 dvd://1 -chapter 1- -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob

This will get Title 1, all chapters.

Then run vamps.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 am

To rip from the command line with mplayer, use:

mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr1 dvd://1 -chapter 1- -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob

This will get Title 1, all chapters.

Thank you. Just tried this on Dpup Stretch 7.5 but the outcome was not as hoped:

# mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr1 dvd://1 -chapter 1- -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob
Creating config file: /root/.mplayer/config
MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.2.1 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing dvd://1.
There are 31 titles on this DVD.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000013e
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000003c7
libdvdread: Elapsed time 4
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x00000a02
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x0000216a
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x00002dc4
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB (0x00002dc4)!!
libdvdread: Elapsed time 1
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00002e1c
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.VOB at 0x00284efe
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x00284fbe
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB (0x00284fbe)!!
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x00284fe4
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x002a278f
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB (0x002a278f)!!
libdvdread: Found 6 VTS's
libdvdread: Elapsed time 5
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: unknown aid: 128.
number of audio channels on disk: 1.
number of subtitles on disk: 0

dump: 8192 bytes written to 'movie.vob'.
Core dumped ;)

Exiting... (End of file)
# 

A movie.vob file was created but was unplayable and obviously too small to have any content.

Bionic32 had a newer mplayer but similar (though not identical) messages and similar unplayable file:

# mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr1 dvd://1 -chapter 1- -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob
MPlayer 1.4-7 (C) 2000-2019 MPlayer Team

Playing dvd://1.
There are 31 titles on this DVD.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000013e
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000003c7
libdvdread: Elapsed time 4
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x00000a02
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x0000216a
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x00002dc4
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB (0x00002dc4)!!
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00002e1c
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.VOB at 0x00284efe
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x00284fbe
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB (0x00284fbe)!!
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x00284fe4
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x002a278f
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB (0x002a278f)!!
libdvdread: Found 6 VTS's
libdvdread: Elapsed time 6
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: unknown aid: 128.
number of audio channels on disk: 1.
number of subtitles on disk: 0

dump: 8192 bytes written to 'movie.vob'.
Core dumped ;)

Exiting... (End of file)
# 

This dvd is badly scratched - although i have successfully ripped it several times using vobcopy and pdvdrsab so the data can be read - although it can only be read on one external dvd drive. All my inbuilt drives give too many errors or hang during reading. So it's possible that some of these failures are failures to handle error conditions.
I should repeat some of this with a better condition dvd.
(Also going to try the pburn rip again. It did not work last night)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

If vobcopy will rip the disc, and the .vob file actually plays, then run vamps to shrink it.

But bear in mind that vobcopy, mplayer and handbrake all use the same tool to unlock the disc (libdvdread/libdvdcss). So if sometimes the disc can be read correctly and sometimes it cannot, that's probably a function of the drive and the state of the disc, not the software.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Here is a comparison of the utilities I have been using so far:

In order to confirm some of the results that I have been getting these tests were made using an external dvd drive which seems able to read the disc reliably despite the scratches:

pBurn rips the dvd into a 952MB vob file and was able to burn that to a dvd-r.
- unfortunately the contents of that vob did not represent the whole dvd movie - only a third of it.

pdvdrsab rips the dvd into a single 5.2GB vob file.
- This file does contain the entire contents of the dvd's video.
- The inbuilt vamps does not shrink the vob.
- Command line vamps tests also failed to shrink it.

vobcopy rips the dvd into three vob files. (2x 2048MB and 1x 1024MB)
- These three vobs do contain the entire contents of the dvd movie but need to be concatenated to allow the video to be watched without interruption.
- One attempt at using vamps to shrink a 2048 vob did succeed in creating a smaller vob but it was incomplete - the end was cut off.

More trials to follow.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

According to the vobcopy man page, it will generate a single file with the --large-file option.

Are you getting error messages from vamps? It may just need a different set of options, or maybe there is still some corruption in the .vob file that prevents vamps from working.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 am

Are you getting error messages from vamps? It may just need a different set of options, or maybe there is still some corruption in the .vob file that prevents vamps from working.

Yes, vamps has returned the following:

root# vamps -e 1.24574893415442918048 -a 1 -s 1 < BLAZE01.vob > BLAZE01SHRUNK.vob
vamps: Fatal: Bad pack start code at 1407000576: 00000000
root# 

However - the file was playable and of good quality although it only represented about 2/3 of the original vob.
Ignore the massive "e" number - i borrowed that from the value used by pBurn. I get the same (or at least similar error) when i just use a value of "1.0" as in the example syntax you suggested originally:

root# vamps -e 1.0 -a 1 -s 1 < BLAZE.vob > BLAZE-shrunk.vob
vamps: Fatal: Bad pack start code at 135168: 00000000

(Those tests were done with different ripped vobs. Definite possibility of the files being unclean - due to scratches or other)

When I was ripping with pBurn I saw many errors to do with missing b frames and some p frames and lots of MV (etc) errors but I could not find a way to copy the data from the pBurn script window. Certainly looked as if the data stream from the disk may have been shaky.

According to the vobcopy man page, it will generate a single file with the --large-file option.

Thanks, I will try this over the weekend.

EDIT : I should also note that these tests were done using Tahr32 6.0.6 so I will need to run some comparisons on another puppy to confirm.

Return to “Users”