Update Hiawatha to v10.12 for woof-CE Builds

Building a Puppy Linux OS

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Update Hiawatha to v10.12 for woof-CE Builds

Post by rockedge »

@01micko Can Hiawatha be updated to version 10.12 for the woof-CE builds? We are at version 10.8.3

01micko

Re: Update Hiawatha to v10.12 for woof-CE Builds

Post by 01micko »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:00 pm

@01micko Can Hiawatha be updated to version 10.12 for the woof-CE builds? We are at version 10.8.3

It can but it's up to the maintainer.

I have 10.11 in latest slacko64 but will bump it soon.

It could be possible to add it to the petbuilds that @dimkr integrated into woof-ce.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I certainly can do that, but I have no use for this package (always excluded from my builds) and prefer not to maintain a petbuild.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dimkr I use Hiawatha every single day. It is in every Puppy made. As it stands now I just update it manually using the Debian model. Hiawatha in Puppy was stuck at v6 until I mentioned it. Now I'm mentioning it again.

Does it matter if you use it or not? I'm told daily how this forum does not belong to me. Puppy doesn't belong to you either.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

It's a do-ocracy, and it goes both ways. People contribute when they want to, but they don't have to address a user request when they don't want to or have something more important to do.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

If you get a chance somewhere along the line that would be cool. I could package it as a PET and push a commit if that would be better. If not I'll manually update for now.

but they don't have to address a user request when they don't want to or have something more important to do.

I'll remember that as it must apply to this forum and it's features and maintenance as well as the user requests.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

rockedge wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:05 pm

I'll remember that as it must apply to this forum and it's features and maintenance as well as the user requests.

Is this criticism, a threat, irony, or a combination of the three?

I'm only trying to be realistic here. A web server needs to be updated regularly to address security issues, like a browser, and I don't have the time to maintain this package and test it properly after each update.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dimkr
Hiawatha only updates very rarely. And remains one of the most secure web server's going.

The project went into hibernation of sorts a few years ago. Although giving every open source web server a run for their money, it did not catch on enough that after 16 years the one and only developer only does the necessary security updates as needed which hasn't been often, and mostly set further development of Hiawatha aside. So constant chasing of updates will not be necessary. Put Hiawatha at version 10.12 and leave it that way for awhile. Actually 10.8.3 is very good and can still be used with total confidence. I mean Hiawatha stayed at version 6.7 in Puppy for a decade or more as is and was fine, just not as many configuration options. Hiawatha remains one of the easiest web servers to configure in very advanced ways. NGINX is much more confusing and Apache........

It's irony.

Return to “woof-CE”