SAVESPEC - a SAVEMARK file on steriods - MakeSAVESPEC 7

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

Moderator: Forum moderators

gyrog

Re: SAVESPEC - a SAVEMARK file on steriods - MakeSAVESPEC 7

Post by gyrog »

I've uploaded 'mk-savespec-7.sfs' and 'MakeSAVESPEC_AppDir-7.tar.gz' to http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ufo1lerdg73j0/savespec.

This version is purely to add some comments to the gnerated SAVESPEC file, as suggested by @Clarity .
But my comments are not the same as @Clarity's.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Tested. Works!

I could offer a wording change on the initial screen such that the user is pre-warned that the utility will ask for both the location of the session as well as a screen will follow asking where to place the SAVESPEC. This info on that screen lets the user know the 2 pieces of infomation that will be demanded to properly create the SAVSPEC.

Nice work, though and helpful for user understanding of it contents as well as its purpose. :thumbup:

BTW: does this utility, when installed via SFS, plop an entry in the system menu?

Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 168 times
gyrog

Post by gyrog »

@Clarity,
Thanks for testing.

Yes, the sfs does include a '/usr/share/applications/mk-savespec.desktop' file, so there can be a menu entry

As to the messages in the GUI:

My current approach to GUI utilities, is a "wizard" approach, each screen is dedicated to obtaining a particular bit of information.
And current MakeSAVESPEC fits this approach.

The advantage of this approach is that there are actually only a small number of screens that can be reused with different data.
As you have pointed out, the downside is, when you start you don't know how may screens there will be before anything gets done.
On the other hand some utilities may have a dynamic path that cannot be easily predicted.

I could add a "starting" screen that outlines the whole utility, and the sceeens that can be expected.
But this would become tedious, once you become familiar with the utility.
Unless, this screen had a "Don't show this screen again" facility.

I will think on this, for all my GUI utilities.

Return to “Cutting Edge”