Puppy Linux on a old Netbook Hasee SD - Card

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

HerrAbisZ

Puppy Linux on a old Netbook Hasee SD - Card

Post by HerrAbisZ »

Hi everyone!

I am new and live in Vienna, Austria and speak poor English. Sorry for that.

I'm trying to install a puppy via SD card on an old Hasee Netbock (Intel Atom N270 1,6 GHZ), where the audio part including HDD connection has been torn out. At first I tried S15Pup32-22.12-240309.iso but after installing it doesn't find the menu.lst, etc

What did I do wrong please?

I just see that there is a new version of 5.5.

Should I try it now? Thank you

LG ANDI!

HerrAbisZ

Re: Puppy Linux on a old Netbook Hasee SD - Card

Post by HerrAbisZ »

Photo

P1010665.JPG
P1010665.JPG (174.42 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Ich konnen mit sie in Deutsch unterhalten, oder besser, screibe in Deutsch und wir antworten in Engish !

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

Ja geht auch. Ich übersetze das mit Deepl

Probiere gerade die anderen Puppy aus.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

My cousin Felix comes from Niedersachsen and lives and works in Vienna (computer engineer) and my good friend Helmut aus Aachen also now lives in Vienna!

Both like it very much.

I worked in Film/TV in Deutschland (Hamburg) and had a chance to while making a German TV series (Mensch! Pia) to work for a few days in Vienna and Austria near Bayrischzell. I am a Beleuchter (Oberbeleuchter).

I am German-American and my family comes from Hamburg and Einbeck. Aber nach einen langen Zeit in der USA, schreibe schneller in Englisch :shock:

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

Gut, das du mal im noch schönen Wien warst

Also ich starte mit einem Ventoy USB Stick und lade die S15Pup32-22.12-240505.iso

Dann konfigurieren Sprache, etc - Warten - Restart

Dann Application - Puppy Installer - unten non UEFI Installer - USB Flash SD Crad - noch einmal auswählen - Intstall Puppy to sdb1 - OK - Install bootloader - Wipe sdb1 - Warten Copying file.

Und dann wie weiter ?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@HerrAbisZ, I don't know much about Ventoy, but it sounds like you have it almost started.

What happens when the machine is rebooted and Ventoy restarted?

@Clarity knows a lot about booting Puppy Linux ISO's on Ventoy on USB drive. He will see this and help us.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @HerrAbisZ

I think there is some confusion and I hope I can make things a little clearer. And I will keep all of this VERY simple if you'll follow along.

First, it seems you have a Ventoy USB...great.
Next, it seems you are getting to your ISO file's desktop: True/false?
Then you are trying to use the desktop to further create a Frugal collection in folders on your system drive: True/false?

IFF the last assumption is true, I want to indicate that it is unnecessary BECAUSE running a PUP from its ISO file is a "frugal PUP" form of operation. This is because everything you do is captured in your session that is saved at the end. The ISO combined with your session "IS a complete running Puppy". So any distro found on the forum will boot from its ISO file.

So this is what I ask you to do on your Ventoy USB

1. On the Ventoy partition, create a BOOTISOS folder and place ALL current and future ISOs into it.

2. Please download and add this SuperGrub2 ISO (SG2D) file to the folder as well

3. When complete, boot your Ventoy USB and select the SG2D's ISO

4. On the SG2D screen, hit the enter key and WAIT. It may take a minute to complete.

5. On the next screen scroll to select your Puppy ISO file.

6. booting this, it will emerge on the desktop successfully. When you complete PUPs use, you can direct it to save your session for use on your future boots of this PUP's ISO.

This is a perfectly acceptable way to running any forum distro from its ISO file. This negates a need to "install" a forum ISO file's contents.

Let us know of this success.

BTW: You may be asking why use SG2D. Its because there is a problem with the distro you are using that does not exist with other families of distro ISO files on the Puppy Forum. It is a known problem; while SG2D insures you will get all expected results from the PUPs you have. More on this later.

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

OK - I think I have understood that. But the Ventoy USB is 128 GB large for many operating systems to install on a HDD, SSD, SD card etc..

Here I want to install Puppy on a small SD card and then remove the Ventoy USB stick. But then it does not start from the SD card

Furthermore I tried to load the chromium.sfs - doesn't work either

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I think your problem maybe that you need to create or recreate a fresh mdos partition table on the SDcard using gparted. Create the partition table, then create a ext2 or ext3 partition. Then either copy the files or use the installer. Then guessing you want to use Grub4Dos bootloader installer. I have now used GRUB2 so much I forget quirks with Grub4Dos. But if I remember it didnt like booting on ext4 partitions? Get the "wee" error on boot? why I suggest ext2 or ext3 partition. Maybe they fixed that, dont know. Or my memory is just wonky. Been long time since I have done it like this.

Whatever, try creating a fresh mdos partition table on the SD card with gparted and fresh ext3 partition. I did do the SD card install as experiment couple month back, only using gpt partition table for UEFI bios and 64bit Puppy. Warning it boots pretty slow on SD card but it does work and is usable.

Last edited by mouldy on Fri May 10, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Booting from SD cards has always been unreliable.

1. Boot from the Ventoy USB again and check the SD card. Is it detected as a USB or an EMMC device?

2. Can you find the missing menu.lst file on the SD card?

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

@mouldy I allwasy use ext4 because on a Aspire one 721 i installed first XP and then Puppy 64 and its run!

@rcrsn51

1. USB

2. The menu.lst ist not on the sd - card

Tomorrw i will try again. Thank you

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

HerrAbisZ wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:54 pm

2. The menu.lst ist not on the sd - card

There are two steps to doing a Linux install.
1. Copy the files onto the target drive.
2. Install a bootloader to launch them.

The Puppy Installer uses the Grub4Dos bootloader. It partially worked because the SD card started to boot. But something went wrong with the menu.lst file that should also be there.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, thought this cant take too long. BUT tried downloading a 32bit copy BookwormPup. Nope, nope, nope, Sourceforge must be having problems, it would download then DOWNLOAD FAILED in last seconds. Failed on the retry, then after that wanted to start all over... Finally downloaded an older version form archive.org only to find its in Hungarian I guess since it had HU in title, not a language I recognized. But I did try an install to SD card. Nope, got what I think HerrAbisZ got, Grub screen popped up with the choice being "find menu.1st." Never seen that before. So after messing and messing, finally tried BookwormPup64, nope same thing. And Grub4Dos config option timed out. Ok, finally found copy FossaPup64. Grub4Dos conf option on it did the trick, saw the install of BookwormPup64 on the SD and created a Grub4Dos configuration that worked. Oh by way it worked ok with ext4.

Make of it what you will, but dollar to a donut that installer glitch is what HerrAbisZ is running into. Why its doing this, no idea. By way done this way the SD card install actually better than when I did it before with GPT and Grub2. Though think I will stick with Grub2. Better the devil you know. I hadnt used Grub4Dos in long time. Sure that has something to do with it. Oh did find a 2015 vintage copy of TahrPup. It did fine, the flash drive booted right up with it, but then it didnt use Grub4Dos.

Anyway suggest HerrAbisZ not reinstall Puppy but instead pick the "Grub4Dos conf" option from the start menu rather than one from installer and reinstall Grub4Dos using that, the Puppy installer that does Grub for Dos has a glitch I think. Hopefully it works on his copy.

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

I installed with ext2 - and new start - then this

P1010670.JPG
P1010670.JPG (111.16 KiB) Viewed 645 times
HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

But :thumbdown: :evil:

P1010666.JPG
P1010666.JPG (104.87 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @HerrAbisZ There is something confusing here to me that you can help make clear.

Questions

• What ISO files are on your Ventoy USB? And did you move all of them into a folder suggested to you: 'BOOKISOS'?

• If you have a running distro or Windows booted, can you show us a picture of the contents of the Ventoy partition on your USB?

• And finally which ISO file are you booting before you try to move contents somewhere else (eg. SDcard)?

@rcrsn51 is correct that SDcards are a bit problematic. I, too, recommend you install/move files to a system disk rather than use the SDcard if you choose this path of operation.

Information that you may not be aware: When you boot a forum distro from your Ventoy USB, that is an equivalent to a "RUNNING" 'installed' PUP on a system drive.

Are you aware that when an ISO file is launched from Ventoy, it boots and runs EXACTLY the same as if you had done all the extractions?

That has me concerned why you need to install a PUP from the Ventoy file onto another 2nd portable device. This implies you want 2 separate running devices. If that is the case, why not just install Ventoy on the SDcard, add the ISO file(s) to the SDcard and then you have 2 devices which run your PUP(s); namely the USB and the SDcard?

Booting from an ISO file runs exactly the same as if you booted from files you extract and move. And you get to save any session work as well, either way.

Curious

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

HerrAbisZ wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:59 am

I'm trying to install a puppy via SD card on an old Hasee Netbock (Intel Atom N270 1,6 GHZ), where the audio part including HDD connection has been torn out.

That's why I want or have to switch to an SD card.

I have already tried to leave it like this and wanted to get chromium.sfs to run. Doesn't work either

With the 64bit version all this worked on a HDD with Dualboot XP

HerrAbisZ wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:54 pm

I allwasy use ext4 because on a Aspire one 721 i installed first XP and then Puppy 64 and its run!

But the Intel Atom N270 can only run 32bitNow I will try it with the SG2D Iso

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @HerrAbisZ Questions

1. Where is your Ventoy USB?

2. Doesn't it boot on your Netbook to a PUP desktop?

3. Did you put any 32bit ISO files from this forum on your USB?

If its 32bit, put one of the modern 32bit WoofCE ISO files on the Ventoy USB in the BOOTISOS folder that I suggested earlier. Boot it and let us know if it gets to desktop.

Ventoy will boot, no matter if the CPU is 32bit or 64bit (x86 of course). Even as Ventoy boots, if the PC's CPU is 32bit, you MUST launch a 32bit forum ISO file. 64bit ISO files will not boot on a 32bit PCs. The SAME is true for SG2D. You MUST put a forum 32bit ISO file in the BOOTISOS folder as well, so that your 32bit PC will boot when SG2D launches the ISO file you have.

Please answer these questions

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

1. it is currently plugged into the left side of the netbook
2. no
3. all small ones from here puppy-linux-collection

Woof-CE do I not understand or where can I get a ready-made ISO for this please ? Also SG2D di i not understand. Thanks

HerrAbisZ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:00 am

I have already tried to leave it like this and wanted to get chromium.sfs to run. Doesn't work either

Wont Run with copying

P1010671.JPG
P1010671.JPG (69.87 KiB) Viewed 588 times

without copying

P1010672.JPG
P1010672.JPG (73.37 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@rockedge , I think there is a language problem and maybe you/someone can help.

My Environment

1. I have an old x86 Netbook. For the last 2 years, I boot it via the Ventoy USB identical where I've outlined the setup many times on the forum; as you know of.

2. It has a folder name BOOTISOS on the partition labeled Ventoy on the USB

3. ALL ISO files are placed there

4. It also has SG2D ISO file there to accommodate any pesky forum ISO files that struggle to boot from Ventoy launches.

5. I have 11 32bit forum distros on it. Many I can boot directly from Ventoy's Menu while some are pesky. ALL I can boot by starting SG2D launched from Ventoy's Menu then launching any to a running desktop.

With @HerrAbisZ who also has a netbook I cannot establish where he actually is.
Reason:

• The USB is present but he says it cannot boot:

• no explanation of what is occurring when attempts.

• Cannot tell if this is hardware or something else ... BIOS maybe

• He shows a desktop but I dont know how he got there

• And a folder structure for something doesn't match what we get when we have a Ventoy USB

My experience is that a Ventoy USB created by the Ventoy USB builder will boot to its Menu ... "no matter what". If it was built by Ventoy's utility(s), IT WILL BOOT ON x86 PCs. And their partition structure is specifcally unique (meaning "Partitions placement and partition labels").
From there the ISO file the user launches will attempt to boot with user's observations of the distro booting to either a describable problem or to the distro's desktop.

But in this case,I feel, the language is a barrier to a clear-eyed "leading" to meet their needs. This is hampering an understanding between each of us, I feel.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, did I misunderstand and the problem is booting Puppy from Ventoy or is it the SD card created wont boot? Cause I found definite glitch in using the Puppy installer script (the legacy one that says it doesnt support UEFI) that also automatically installs Grub4Dos once you tell it you want a bootloader. The Grub4Dos installed that way was FUBAR. However if I use the stand alone "Grub4Dos conf" option from start menu that just installs Grub4Dos, it fixes it and the SD card will boot. Long ago when I used Grub4Dos, always just copied the files with ROX and then run the stand alone Grub4Dos installer. Never used the Puppy installer that did everything.

I didnt try booting Puppy from Ventoy, But if thats the problem.... then I am totally confused. I thought the problem was the SD card once Puppy installed wouldnt boot?

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

HerrAbisZ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:01 am

I installed with ext2 - and new start - then this

P1010670.JPG

I got Puppy installed and booted with Grub4Dos on ext4. So dont think thats it. That "wee" error was obviously something from long ago thats been corrected. But I did get Grub menu with the "searching for menu1st" listing instead of Puppy option. Then something like you are showing in the picture. Thats from that that installer that says "UEFI not yet supported". Try running the stand alone "Grub4Dos config" from the start menu to correct this, this is Grub4Dos bootloader installer only. Ok, not sure why there are two Grub4Dos config options. Think I used the one with the arrow, not the one with a worm. Anyway run that and it should correct the problem. Since there are two, if one doest work try the other.

Seriously why are there all these installer options and no guide as to which is which and for what purpose? Guess I have just ignored most of this stuff and directly copied the files and only used the bootloader install.

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

Now i Take a 8GB Mini USB Stick and its run.

But

HerrAbisZ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:42 am
P1010672.JPG
P1010672.JPG (73.3 KiB) Viewed 501 times

What do i wrong ?

HerrAbisZ

Post by HerrAbisZ »

I Downloading from here

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/

ChromiumUBB.sfs

and it runs