Windows 10 support post Oct 2025

Jasper

Windows 10 support post Oct 2025

Post by Jasper »

Microsoft will provide security updates for $61 perdevice for the first year for businesses.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/3/24120 ... ates-price

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 support post Oct 2025

Post by rockedge »

I'd migrate to enterprise Linux as soon as possible. Micro$$ is running a racketeering ring.....pure extortion. And/or leveraging a forced upgrade for top Dollars.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rockedge wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:29 pm

I'd migrate to enterprise Linux as soon as possible. Micro$$ is running a racketeering ring.....pure extortion. And/or leveraging a forced upgrade for top Dollars.

I posted a reply to a thread about this same subject less than an hour ago on BleepingComputer..!

• $61 for the first year

• $122 for the second year

• $244 for the third year

etc.....

Just doubles every year. It's MyCrudSoft's way of 'forcing' the ditherers onto the current release as rapidly as possible. I'd kick it into touch ASAP, and switch to Linux. Which is exactly what I advised the OP over at BC to do.....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

rockedge wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks to W* and his problems I moved away from there a long, long time ago... never to return... (well, occasionally)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

And my chromebook now gets updates till 2031 - been extended twice from original 2027 - for free. Crostini is now Bookworm-based.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Windows 10 is still used by 69 percent of all Windows users, compared to just 27 percent for Windows 11.
That’s a big gap that Microsoft is unlikely to close over the coming 18 months,
leaving many Windows 10 users having to consider paying for security updates for the first time.

Sure, piss off 69% of Windows computer users and see what happens Microsoft! :roll:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Hmm, real world, yea if a business or school might worry about liability of not getting security updates. But the average consumer, not so much. Many happy not to have their computer hijacked by M$ for ultimate urgent marketing updates. Most were not security updates but marketing updates. I know people still using win7 as daily driver without a care in the world. Their biggest concern was some years ago when M$ decided to try and force a "free" win10 upgrade onto them. Though Firefox has discontinued support so you cant install latest Firefox on a win7 computer. When websites no longer accept whatever browser the win7 users are trying to use, then they will switch. Though smart thing would be to add a small linux partition to give access to a modern browser. Then use win7 for whatever it is they use win7 for. Maybe an old version Photoshop or something.

i suspect some genius at M$ will try to offer last update that with watermark or some other crippling effort to encourage people to upgrade. Corporate policy to be as obnoxious as possible in pursuit of profit. Werent they at least for while putting on some watermark for people that installed win11 on computers not officially qualifying for win11? Yea not the best thought out strategy.

Return to “Other Distros”