In a remaster, how do you keep icon and theme settings after making a new .ISO?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

grey38

In a remaster, how do you keep icon and theme settings after making a new .ISO?

Post by grey38 »

Basically I've gotten the hang of taking puppy linux and using the built in remastery tool to create a new .ISO, but the tool does not work on everything. It generally just makes a new .ISO with the programs and packages you installed and changed. It does not work with your theme and icon changes.

But, on this forum I've seen you guys post a lot of your own remasters that have really tricked out themes, custom icon sets and even changed cursor themes.

So, it is actually possible to do. How do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

Wiz57

Re: In a remaster, how do you keep icon and theme settings after making a new .ISO?

Post by Wiz57 »

Not 100 percent sure, since I haven't done it myself, but seems I recall folks using NicOS Remaster
Suite to create like an "adrv.sfs" of your changes and settings, then include that in your remastered
iso. Match the name of the adrv.sfs to your remastered Puppy iso in the "distro-specs" file.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

HerrBert

Re: In a remaster, how do you keep icon and theme settings after making a new .ISO?

Post by HerrBert »

Sounds like an old issue with builtin remaster script.
There is an excellent HowTo by @CatDude on the murga forum explaining, how to include personal settings in a remaster.
TBH the adrv.sfs solution is much more convenient.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@grey38

Which Pup are you using?

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

There are two modules in NicOS-Utility-Suite, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 983#p12983 which make it easier to 'capture' customizations, themes, settings, etc. Save2SFS is the easiest. It doesn't do a 'remaster'. It creates another file-system which will be loaded on boot-up. Now that you've remastered, using it is probably the easiest way to get to where you want to be.
But, as wizard wrote, Which Puppy? Save2SFS creates either an adrv.sfs or a ydrv.sfs and if your Puppy already had an adrv.sfs you may have to rename it to ydrv.sfs. You'll want to create a new adrv.sfs as its settings have priority.

The Suite has two Remaster scripts. I forget which does which. IIRC, Alternative doesn't ask for any input while classic will enable you to make changes. The problem with 'capturing' settings, etc. in a Remaster is that during the process you have to copy relevant files from your running Puppy's /root folder into the Work folder, overwriting the files there which came from the default /root in the ISO. Which means you have to know which files to copy.

grey38

Post by grey38 »

wizard wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:32 pm

@grey38

Which Pup are you using?

wizard

BionicPup32 8.0

Sorry for replying so late, there was work and power outage.

I am basing my work off of BionicPup32 8.0, it's the latest version that's still 32 bit.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@grey38

Per the above post, NicOS remaster will work, BUT, be sure your save file/folder is backed up since it will need restoring after the remaster (NIcOS alters it).

I am basing my work off of BionicPup32 8.0, it's the latest version that's still 32 bit.

What is your computer make and model?

Actually, there are several newer 32bit available. I'd suggest you check out JammyPup32 since it is a LTS (long term support) release:
viewtopic.php?t=5799&hilit=jammypup32

To see a friendly Jammy remaster look here:
viewtopic.php?t=9972

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

BUT, be sure your save file/folder is backed up since it will need restoring after the remaster (NIcOS alters it).

The remaster script does not alter your existing save file/folder, however. the remastered system will INCLUDE the contents of your save file / folder and thus replace it. So when you run the remastered puppy (without the old save file), it will be a pristine new system with your saved changes and you will have to make a new save file / folder again for new changes to your system in future. It's a good idea to back up your old save file / folder before you do the remaster anyway as you may for some reason not be happy with the remaster and want to use it again.

Return to “Beginners Help”