Bug of chromium on easyos 5.7

Moderator: BarryK

Thanos

Bug of chromium on easyos 5.7

Post by Thanos »

I usually download files to my harddisk like /mnt/xxx, but when I use chromium on easyos 5.7 to do this, it can't download anything to my harddisk, it only can download files to /files or /root.

I can download files on /mnt/xxx by wget, so I think something wrong with chromium on easyos 5.7. May be it is a bug.

BarryK

Re: Bug of chromium on easyos 5.7

Post by BarryK »

it is not a bug, it is a security feature.

Chromium is running as user "chromium" and downloads can only write to /home/chromium or under /files

Most apps that run as their own user also have a special folder that it can write to, but no other app can even see into.
For example, if install Firefox, it will run as user "firefox" and the special folder /files/apps/firefox is private, visible to Firefox only, hidden from other apps that are running non-root.

Regarding /root, Chromium should not be able to write in there either, or even see in there, as it has folder permissions 700
However, if have updated from a much earlier version of EasyOS, it may have carried-over more relaxed permissions for /root

I download to /files/download, then drag the file to wherever I want it. Easy enough to do.

Thanos

Post by Thanos »

But if you download a very big file like a film, /files/download is too small for it. That is too safe.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Thanos wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:59 pm

But if you download a very big file like a film, /files/download is too small for it. That is too safe.

You must be running on a computer with a very small amount of RAM.

EasyOS defaults to run in RAM, and uses ZRAM, so the free space for storage is quite large. My Lenovo desktop has 32GB RAM and it is showing 43GB free.

If there isn't enough space in RAM, click the "save" desktop icon and tick the checkbox to direct-save to the working partition. That will require a reboot, then the free space will be the free space in the working-partition. If you have booted off a usb-stick, it is recommended that be at least 8GB, so you would have almost that much free space. Actually, I have changed the documentation to recommend 16GB as minimum for a usb-stick.

Alternatively, it is possible to mount a partition and give it world write permission, for example "chmod 777 /mnt/sdb1"
Or, it could even be changed to be owned by chromium: "chown -R chromium:chromium /mnt/sdb1"
...in both cases "-R" can be used, meaning recursive, but you would need to think whatever else is in that partition.
...or apply it to a sub-folder in that partition.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

See another simple fix here:

viewtopic.php?p=113733#p113733

Thanos

Post by Thanos »

BarryK wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:48 pm

My Lenovo desktop has 32GB RAM and it is showing 43GB free.

I think this is a bug to fix.

My notebook has 8GB RAM and it is showing 9.8GB free. If I copy a 9GB file to /files, what will happen?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Thanos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:47 am
BarryK wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:48 pm

My Lenovo desktop has 32GB RAM and it is showing 43GB free.

I think this is a bug to fix.

My notebook has 8GB RAM and it is showing 9.8GB free. If I copy a 9GB file to /files, what will happen?

@Thanos
It is the result of running in zram. You are seeing the free space in RAM, large because it is using zram.

There is an assumption here, that there is more space than that in the working-partition, that is, free space in /files

Ideally, that free-space tray applet should show the smaller of the two. So yes, it is a bug.
If you were running in a small usb flash stick, it could be an issue.

freememapplet_tray is written in C, version 2.6:

https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/sourc ... betical/f/

...I last updated it in February 2017.

OK, I have written it into the to-do list.

Return to “EasyOS”