KLV-Airedale-sr10 with the Void Linux Kernel 6.7.4_1

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLV-Airedale-sr10 with the Void Linux Kernel 6.7.4_1

Post by rockedge »

I tested with the Void Linux kernel from a sr8 which did not work correctly, so I went back to sr2's kernel 6.3.12 setup and that worked like it's supposed too!

This is using the 01fdrv_upup_22.04.sfs
So something with the latest Void Linux updates, the Void Linux kernel (or how we package it), perhaps the custom built initrd.gz with the latest upstream Void Linux components and how that is handling booting the system.

The rootfs is updated to the latest versions. So far the RT kernels work correctly as do the older pre- 6.4.0 Void Linux kernels I extracted.

Though with sr10 as is and updated, once it boots to the default TWM desktop using the exit command 2 times in a row in the login terminal will boot the system normally(?) but it is not thoroughly tested yet if all is in order internally.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

This is a tester sr11 with a current rootfs and is using Void Linux kernel 6.3.12_1

Screenshot_2024-02-22_20-07-52.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-22_20-07-52.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Now will start to look at the wd_init to see if a modification will fix the problems or least begin to look at the initrd.gz to check if it is causing the problems booting.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:14 am

This is a tester sr11 with a current rootfs and is using Void Linux kernel 6.3.12_1
Screenshot_2024-02-22_20-07-52.jpg

Now will start to look at the wd_init to see if a modification will fix the problems or least begin to look at the initrd.gz to check if it is causing the problems booting.

Yes, I was saying in another topic that I keep that SR2 with the 6.3.12 and 01fdvr_upup_22.04.sfs around because it seems to work on every machine I own. Of course it's also the one that I said doesn't look as nice visually as the newer Airedales for some reason.

It's also the one that I did a system update on Tuesday night and it worked perfectly afterwards.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c Some really great news......... just now a new set of updates/upgrades from upstream Void Linux came down the line...so suspecting after working on this all yesterday and all night that it is a Void Linux problem....I did the updates........I rebooted a problematic KLV-Airedale-sr10 and suddenly.........it all works again as normally it should.

All that effort though I did suspect it would be resolved....here it is...thank goodness.....I was feeling pretty down about it.

So even with the latest Void Linux kernel...KLV is starting just like we expect it should :ugeek: :thumbup2:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c, @Sofiya

Lesson learned = go with your instincts and sometimes wait patiently when one is almost certain what the problem really is.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:14 pm

@geo_c, @Sofiya

Lesson learned = go with your instincts and sometimes wait patiently when one is almost certain what the problem really is.

To be honest, I also thought that the problem was VOID. with their change of management, etc.Lately they've been making me sad

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:23 pm
rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:14 pm

@geo_c, @Sofiya

To be honest, I also thought that the problem was VOID. with their change of management, etc.Lately they've been making me sad

I don't know what changes you're specifically referring to, but what they did with xbps certainly made updates a lot faster. Though they probably have a lot of kinks to work out in the system.

I learned that if I try an update, and something seems funny, and things fail that normally update just fine, then it pays to wait a couple days and try again.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@rockedge and @Sofiya

I think that is the thing about rolling releases. It's not a problem if upper_changes are used for minimal daily changes, and any major changes are re-squashed to 07rootfs or squashed to a layer.

My SR2 "backup Airedale" has 5 layers of the system build, as that's the way I was doing it back then, some of the layers being very small, a couple like one containing hplip being pretty big, a couple hundred MB, and a layer every 6-12 weeks containing a major update that proves to completely work smoothly.

I figured that would be a sound approach, as in a year I would have a good 10 or 12 layers of updates, and I could always roll back to the way my system looked a month ago by deleting upper_changes if some update broke it.

That works for me because I take the "normal user" approach to installs and usage, but you are developers and booting fresh all the time, running build scripts, so the rolling releases can cause this kind of grief.

My take away would be to make some decisions about KLV kernels and final builds that become "official" and then consider what other underlying distro might be good to base for a system, whether Debian or Arch, or some other approach, because in my experience over the last 2 or so years, Airedale is a rock solid OS, as well as all the tiling manager versions of KLV @Sofiya has put together.

geo_c

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Watching the flurry of activity from Void, hope this avalance settles to a calm set of packages.

I noticed your reports @rockedge and am curious if this ISO path to sr11, is the current path for the latest ISO which has the v6.6/6.7 kernel?

Which location to source the ISO to test booting and report?

BTW: Which GRUB2 version are KLs using? Last I looked, it is a generation behind.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sorry guys, I just made my big move from NZ and don't have permanent home nor reliable internet yet.Thus just saw your posts about issues with Void updates. Hope that has settled down now. It will be some weeks at least before I can test out some builds to determine if any underlying build component, such as FR initrd, needs any upgrade work. Sounds like it is ok for now and was indeed just upstream Void issues. I'm currently having very different problems in that my logins to various cloud services seem to have reacted badly to me moving and each demand verification codes sent either via email or SMS text to me. Trouble is that my default emails used to receive the service verification code themselves all demand similar verification procedures.SMS verification would be nice, but since I've moved out of NZ the mobile phone number I use for such verifications is no longer available to me, so I'm kind of caught in an endless annoying verification loop.... Nightmare.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:thumbup:

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (24.86 KiB) Viewed 127 times

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Return to “KLV-Airedale”