KLV-airedale-PWjack-RT15

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

KLV-airedale-PWjack-RT15

Post by geo_c »

@rockedge

After loading up my JackPipe install, which has both jack native, and pipewire-jack fully functioning, I went back and did another PFI and loaded up RT15 with jack apps and ONLY pipewire-jack, no jack native.

Basically, building off the KLV-airedale-RT15 rootfs, you just need to install these packages to have a powerhouse audio setup:

xbps-install helvum qpwgraph mediainfo drumstick hydrogen jack_mixer muse lsp-plugins yoshimi amsynth padthv1 samplv1 synthv1 drumkv1 guitarix2 helm swh-lv2 libjack-pipewire alsa-plugins alsa-plugins-ffmpeg gstreamer1-pipewire Carla calf ardour

although I make it more of a powerhouse with a larger library of lv2 plugins and soundfonts, along with timidity and few extras like that.

and of course add a script to start alsa-seq

All of the jack apps need to be started in a terminal with pw-jack [application_name] for now. But I will be working on having a set of desktop files to start them from the xfce menu. Also I'll try and organize the menu in a logical way. In Xfce the easiest is probably to just create a launcher with multi applicatons, which I have done before, so a jack app sub menu.

Once I fine tune it, I'll boot fresh and add a clean 08KLV-airdale-PWjack.sfs on top of 07. Though I could also do a PFI and make one big 07rootfs. Or you could add these applications into the plug. I haven't figured out how to migrate Xfce menu configs, but if you know how to do it, that could be included in the plug.

This setup is literally the most luxurious Audio setup I've worked with at this point. It's highly responsive with complete capabilities in audio/plugins/instruments

If we were to add some video capability to it, it would be a fantastic turnkey multi-media distro. And I intend to do the same thing with KLV-spectr-RT and eventually Hyprland once I figure out how to operate it adequately.

Last edited by geo_c on Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

geo_c

Re: KLV-airedale-PWjack-RT15

Post by geo_c »

Wow, I'm running KLV-airedale-PWjack-RT15 on my humble studio HP i5 with 8gb of ram.

Pictured below you can see I have Olive video editor running a .mov file of one my gigs, and the output routed to my twelve channel board, and amsynth being triggered by an Akai MAX25 keyboard controller with extremely neglible latency, all my attached cameras video capture ports are shown in Helvum graph, along with their audio capture, meanwhile I'm browsing on LibreWolf, taking screenshots and uploading them, and you can see how well my processors are doing in the deskbar on the right.

I would run the video out of the cameras and capture it if I had a piece of software for that, I was hoping Olive could do it, but I see no options for capture. I'll be playing with this further.

Crazy! The pipewire real-time kernel combination is really amazing.

Imagekey checker

@Clarity you might be interested in this report. And maybe you can tell me of a reliable video capture application to add to this mix.

geo_c

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I am not a good reference for video editing (ie capture, store, manipulate, mix, etc.).

My ONLY use in Linux, over the years, is with 'avidemux' which is pretty elementary. Same in Windows.

But, I have looked at "OBS", which incidentally @BarryK has dabbled a bit with in 2023 in his EASYs. For the productions, I think it currently best matches where you are, while it has a VERY LARGE community of users on forums in the world.

With the sophistication you have shown all of us by taking advantage of the leadership role KL is taking on, I think it should be an automated option from a Menu option, or OOTB feature in KLs.

Ease of "Multimedia" is the direction mankind is in, today. KLs are putting this integration ability front and center for forum membership as they trickle into this distro areas. KLs are only going to get easier and easier to use to not only get users started, but I am hopeful will advance membership of all kinds of backgrounds.

The biggest growth I foresee lies in some easy way to put the various dimensions KLs offer, front and center, for user to see when starting a pristine run in a KL.

@geo_c I APPLAUD what and how you are showing this usefulness in a practical way for us.

If I had any multimedia skill at all, I would assist in making a video with you of your work so that other users can use as a guide to do similar kinds of work. This would advance the artistic members who would take this forward. You hit so many dimension in your efforts. Again, I APPLAUD what you are doing to demonstrate to us how to take advantage of the advancements that KLs have given us, thus far.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@Clarity Here I'm running an OBS appimage, and it seems to be running well. Oddly, though you can choose the camera input from OBS and it works, no ports show up in Helvum. It may be that I'm still missing a component. In my first post I listed gstreamer1-pipewire being installed, and I thought that would do it.. It does cause my camera ports to show up, but so far, no software hookups.

Maybe working as intended though:

edit, Oh yeah that's nice, time to make some videos of me playing music, works swell with virtual instruments and video in sync!

geo_c

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @geo_c

@BarryK also spent some time on Shotcut editing, as well.

Not sure which is best to use.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:52 pm

Hello @geo_c

@BarryK also spent some time on Shotcut editing, as well.

Not sure which is best to use.

@rockedge , you might be interested in these thoughts:

Well I'm looking at OBS in terms of video capture. With pipewire-jack it has a lot of capability for mixing live audio with recorded audio and video/camera inputs simultaneously capturing and recording, since it's designed for web streaming. It comes in an appimage and runs OOTB seemingly flawlessly so far.

I'll tell you though, the one thing about this setup which is becoming a hurdle to overcome is setting up pipewire-pulse apps not to reset connections everytime they are paused or stop a stream. And I'm not sure if that's a pipewire config, or just the nature of the architecture, but it is frustrating, and right now I'm trying to get a handle on it with this test:

Playing an audio track in a standard music player and running it through the Calf-plugin-rack remastering effects, like EQ, and capturing it on the other end (the calf part is great and simple with an approachable interface and quality selection of auidio processing plugins.) I have two major hurdles, one being Parole initializing connections evertime I restart its playback, the second is finding a suitable and simple audio recorder for the capture. If I were simply to use Ardour DAW, no problem, but that's a pretty complex program for the average user, and hefty on resources.

For the capture I found almost nothing in Void repos, so I finally installed jack_capture and ran it from a terminal with pw-jack jack_capture That works great and will save to mp3, ogg, flac, way and their quality level can be set with a couple option switches.

So I'm looking for 2 simple tools to accomplish this task where I can post a couple screenshots with a tutorial on how to for instance, punch up an audio file from a vinyl transfer.

First I tried Parole as a player, because it's built in to KLV airedale. But as mentioned Parole doesn't keep persistent connections, so then I decided to use my favorite terminal music player, musikcube, and that works a lot better.

I remastered an existing mp3 captured in a new mp3 format using musikcube through Calf-plugin-interface recorded with jack_capture , almost there, but one final and important thing,

I need to be able to start both jack_capture and musikcube somewhat close to the same time, if not from one control. So now I'll explore transport options, a start button to start both, if that's possible with musikcube, probably not. These are some of things native jack did well that can be problematic mixing puleaudio apps with jack. But I think it can be done, and certainly it wasn't at all possible to mix non-jack apps and standard audio apps using native jack. So it's a definite big deal to be able to do, though somewhat of trade off until the kinks are worked out.

geo_c

Return to “KLV-Airedale”