Failed first boot KLV-Airdale-sr7

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

trawglodyte

Failed first boot KLV-Airdale-sr7

Post by trawglodyte »

I did a manual frugal install of KLV-Airdale-sr7. It's not booting, getting a lot of messages on the screen, final message is.

Code: Select all

[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100 ]---

not sure what other error messages are important. this was one of them.

umount: can't unmount merged/mnt/layers/merged/mnt/: Invalid argument

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

trawglodyte

Re: Failed first boot KLV-Airdale-sr7

Post by trawglodyte »

The same KLV-Airdale-sr7.iso booted fine from Ventoy. Is there any special paramaters I need in my grub.cfg menu-entry to make it boot from Puppy grub?
I tried this...

menuentry "KLV-Airdale-sr7" {
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 49ba2b38-cc9b-4d48-b9b5-f48b43845b7f
  echo "riding the train"
  linux /KLV-Airdale-sr7/vmlinuz acpi_osi=Linux libata.noacpi=1 net.ifnames=0 pmedia=usbflash pdrv=Puppy2 psubdir=/KLV-Airdale-sr7 pfix=fsck,fsckp,trim
  echo "high on cocaine"
  initrd /KLV-Airdale-sr7/initrd.gz
}

then I shortened it to this (just in case paramaters were causing a problem)

echo "riding the train"
  linux /KLV-Airdale-sr7/vmlinuz pdrv=Puppy2 psubdir=/KLV-Airdale-sr7
  echo "high on cocaine"
}

no go either way.

wiak

Post by wiak »

trawglodyte wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:43 am

The same KLV-Airdale-sr7.iso booted fine from Ventoy. Is there any special paramaters I need in my grub.cfg menu-entry to make it boot from Puppy grub?
I tried this...

echo "riding the train"
  linux /KLV-Airdale-sr7/vmlinuz acpi_osi=Linux libata.noacpi=1 net.ifnames=0 pmedia=usbflash pdrv=Puppy2 psubdir=/KLV-Airdale-sr7 pfix=fsck,fsckp,trim
  echo "high on cocaine"
}

then I shortened it to this (just in case paramaters were causing a problem)

echo "riding the train"
  linux /KLV-Airdale-sr7/vmlinuz pdrv=Puppy2 psubdir=/KLV-Airdale-sr7
  echo "high on cocaine"
}

no go either way.

KL distros are not at all Puppy Linux distros. The above grub stanzas using the likes of pdrv and psubdir are all to do with Puppy Linux, not KL.

Based on what you write, I suggest the following (not sure what acpi related arguments you might want; I don't use these). Assuming your frugal install of KLV-Airedale is on a Linux format ext partition and your subdir is spelled as you suggest with Airdale rather than Airedale. For RAM2 save on demand persistence mode (a bit like Pupmode13):

insmod ext2
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 49ba2b38-cc9b-4d48-b9b5-f48b43845b7f
  echo "riding the train"
  linux /KLV-Airdale-sr7/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=49ba2b38-cc9b-4d48-b9b5-f48b43845b7f=/KLV-Airdale-sr7 w_changes=RAM2 net.ifnames=0
  echo "high on cocaine"
}

If you just want all writes to be immediately written (rather than save on demand) then just remove argument w_changes=RAM2
Above all assumes frugal install is on Linux formatted partition. If instead the format is fat or ntfs you'd need a specially constructed savefile, which I'm not covering in this post.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

wiak wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:02 am

I suggest the following (not sure what acpi related arguments you might want; I don't use these). Assuming your frugal install of KLV-Airedale is on a Linux format ext partition and your subdir is spelled as you suggest with Airdale rather than Airedale. For RAM2 save on demand persistence mode (a bit like Pupmode13):

linux /KLV-Airdale-sr7/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=49ba2b38-cc9b-4d48-b9b5-f48b43845b7f=/KLV-Airdale-sr7 w_changes=RAM2 net.ifnames=0

That turned the key!! Thank you!! Sorry about the mispell, now it's gonna bug me until I change the folder name and menuentry and so forth!

420.png
420.png (427.1 KiB) Viewed 146 times

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

trawglodyte wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:23 pm
wiak wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:02 am

I suggest the following (not sure what acpi related arguments you might want; I don't use these). Assuming your frugal install of KLV-Airedale is on a Linux format ext partition and your subdir is spelled as you suggest with Airdale rather than Airedale. For RAM2 save on demand persistence mode (a bit like Pupmode13):

That turned the key!! Thank you!! Sorry about the mispell, now it's gonna bug me until I change the folder name and menuentry and so forth!
420.png

I've done that missing "e" in airedale thing a couple times myself.

In case you might not know, the KL isos contain a script called wd_grubconfig, just leave it in the install folder and run it, and it will generate a file called grub_config.txt whch contains boot stanzas for grub and grub2. They always work for me.

Also, there is an Airedale-sr8 which might be more finely tuned and uses pipewire: viewtopic.php?p=105445#p105445 It uses a different kernel, more recent. Actually some of those newer kernels don't work on my older hardware, so I use 6.1.38 with the corresponding 00modules and 01firmware. It usually works to replace vmlinuz, initrd.gz, w_intit ,00modules, 01firmware with very closely released KLs if a particular kernel package doesn't function well.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “KLV-Airedale”