With the Recent Quittings and Resignations......

Ideas and discussion

Grey

Re: With the Recent Quittings and Resignations......

Post by Grey »

rockedge wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:36 pm

I have an issue with booting KLV-Hyprland-CE in a QEMU machine! Where KLV-Sway-RE-1 with the 14KLV_labwc_sfwbar.sfs add-on does boot as does @wiak 's KLV-SwayBase on my system.

I would be glad to help you. But I tried Wayland+Sway and decided that I didn't really need a tiling window manager (I already have everything on hotkeys), plus a proprietary video driver is more important.

Although I happen to have Qemu 8.2.0, I can try it. You probably need to try changing the virtual video device or the output driver there.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Thanks @Grey ,

You are correct! The right graphic card/device needs to be selected for QEMU for the Wayland-Sway to run correctly.

-vga cirrus or in AQEMU the Cirrus CLGD 5446

Forgot to mention that part......a distraction possibly........

Grey

Post by Grey »

Grey wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:59 pm

But I tried Wayland+Sway and decided that I didn't really need a tiling window manager

Although this is interesting. SwayFX

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Grey wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:03 pm

Although this is interesting. SwayFX

Wow!! That is interesting......back to the drawing board........

Hyprland looks super interesting as well.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Looking at this topic viewtopic.php?p=18189#p18189 about Puppy Linux 412 brought new challenges to light with the latest Puppy's

Big shoes to fill with this one.......

What a great site this is -> https://412collection.neocities.org/
Nicely made....kind of old school which makes the site of course perform so well.

What a way to find new interest in developing Puppy Linux in 2024...going back and learning from the start.

Grey

Post by Grey »

rockedge wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:11 pm

Nicely made....kind of old school which makes the site of course perform so well.

Really old school, everything is in the center of the screen. I even had to press Ctrl+ to zoom in to 150 percent :)

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

trawglodyte wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:03 pm

However, I love everybody, don't hate anyone. I am critical of the government of Israel though.

IMO there's a very difference between

1. Saying that "the Jews" or "the Israelis" are liars
  2. Saying that person x is a liar when he or she says y, because y is false and z is true
  3. Saying that person x is wrong when he or she says y, because z

In cases 1 and 2, I'd expect a moderator to take action. IMO 1 is unacceptable in any kind of forum (except "echo chamber" forums for people with such views) and justifies a permanent ban. 2 could be bad choice of words and bad manners. 3 is totally fine when it's part of a respectful, healthy discussion, and not as part as attempt to portray somebody as consistently stupid or misleading.

(IMO calling people "nutcases" falls under 1, and the deleted thread had multiple instances of 1 and 2, by various authors)

trawglodyte wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:03 pm

If you feel that warrants taking actions against me, do what you gotta do @dimkr

This is not the first time you interpret a reply of mine as one that's targeted at you, or only at you.

Grey

Post by Grey »

rockedge wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:02 pm

-vga cirrus or in AQEMU the Cirrus CLGD 5446

It seems recommended (for Qemu+Sway) to use qxl instead of cirrus: -vga qxl🤔 There is 16M of memory by default. If 32, then so: -vga none -device qxl-vga,vgamem_mb=32

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

dimkr wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:43 pm

This is not the first time you interpret a reply of mine as one that's targeted at you, or only at you.

What is your EXPLICIT position here @dimkr ? You quoted my complimentary post in order to make allegations and threats against someone else? Why did you quote my post then?

If you weren't aiming that at me, there is zero reason to quote what I said. This is my last statement on the matter.

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

Agreed, spent lots of time with Puppy 4.12, even setup a file server on an old 300mhz Pentium 2, 256mb ram laptop. It just sat there running faithfully 24/7 for a couple of years.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

trawglodyte wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:09 pm

there is zero reason to quote what I said.

I wanted to add to what you said, that's all. You told people they deserve credit for what they do, I wanted to show cases where I think they made a mistake by not moderating.

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

My post about lost thanks rather jokingly.

But to those who have given me thanks:

Thank you very much. You made a smile appear on a child's face ;)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:08 am

I think what @wiak is trying to get all of us to see is that its time to stop religious references and other, and let's get back to working in technological references that the forum aligns; namely lets all get back to mainline "Puppy Linux Discussion" on the forum.

Although religion is considered a sore point in a tech forum - there is actually a strong link between technological development and religion in the sense that invention and religion both require a person to have the ability to see inside their own mind things that do not YET exist outside of their mind - they can see things that are not tangible in the physical world.

This capability for hypothetical thought is very annoying to pragmatic people - because pragmatic people are better at hitting things with hammers, than they are at creating and inventing new and/or non-physical concepts.

Pragmatic people may be great managers, yet poor designers. There is room for all, surely?

To be honest I think one of the characteristics that historically created animosity towards Jews is their inate capacity for creative and hypothetical thought. This is why Einstein was capable of understanding relativity at a time where the consensus was in favour of Newtonian physics.

This is why Jewish scientists have long been at the forefront of discoveries in Chemistry, Physics, atomic energy and weapons etc. (This is my opinion, that's all - not looking for controversy)

Of course some will say this is nonsense but I do believe that certain people DO have genes for a particular brain wiring. Some families DO have a predisposition for creativity.

I think that is why sometimes this forum is chaotic and like herding cats - because there are lots of creative people here. And the nature of creativity makes some people resist constraints.

It is also why religion is an essential part of life for so many humans. Creativity and hypothetical thought is an inate characteristic that can drive technological progress if we let it.

Flash

Post by Flash »

You're mixing the Jewish race, if there is such a thing, with the Jewish religion.

Chaos coordinator :?
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@greengeek :-

I got sent to a "church" school, and had religion rammed down my throat between the ages of 8 and 18, whether I wanted it or not. Ever since , I haven't had the time of day for it.....though I won't deny, it does appear to hold an important place in the lives of many.

Doesn't mean a thing to me, though. I know what I believe, personally, but I keep that to myself. Don't see the point of trying to force MY beliefs on others.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

... Of course some will say this is nonsense but I do believe that certain people DO have genes for a particular brain wiring. Some families DO have a predisposition for creativity. ...

"Nonsense"! :?

Creativity and hypothetical thought is an inate characteristic that can drive technological progress if we let it.

"Agreed!" And should be done within the context of "individual participation" no matter a person's longing to "drive" religion/politics or other such which has no place in narrative of this forum.

Let move forward without an area of this forum that INVITES the repeating Off-Topic behavior. Let's reduce moderator workload on the difficult position of their round-tables relating to this continued occurrences therein.

Moderators: DONT be afraid to take that step. In computer technology, WE KNOW, that repeating the same set of instruction(s) expecting a different outcome "is lunacy". YOU are technologist.

Further, there is NO need to discuss this action with the forum. It will just disappear. People(s) will stay on the forum for the love of Puppy Linux Discussion.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Clarity wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:49 pm

... Of course some will say this is nonsense but I do believe that certain people DO have genes for a particular brain wiring. Some families DO have a predisposition for creativity. ...

"Nonsense"! :?

Based on what? Studies show more of our thinking may be hardwired than you would like to believe.

Further, there is NO need to discuss this action with the forum.

Is this an appeal to Authoritarianism?

Last edited by williwaw on Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Clarity wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:49 pm

... People(s) will stay on the forum for the love of Puppy Linux Discussion.

That didn't seem to be the case in the old forum. A thread like the one here would cause people to swear they'd never return. Developers too.

Chaos coordinator :?
wiak

Post by wiak »

Grey wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:59 pm

But I tried Wayland+Sway and decided that I didn't really need a tiling window manager

I very much liked Sway when I was trying it out.

Odd result, was that after installing it as yet another frugal installed distro on my young son's computer I notice he continues to use it as his preference.

I however, have been back mainly using Linux Mint, so I have forgotten all the Sway-related hotkeys I configured it with.

So today, he was picked up by the mother of one of his friends to go and play at their house, but forgot to shut down his computer. I had no idea at first how to shut it down, because I had forgotten all but one of the hotkey combinations already. Luckily the one I remembered was WinKey+Enter, which popped up a terminal, and of course I am able to do pretty much anything once at a terminal (including finding the sway config file and determining the hotkeys...).

In relation to the first post of this thread... sigh... concerning that 'Sway Incident' I did not Quit, nor Resign, and the computer you will be relieved to know is not shut down.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

some1

Post by some1 »

dimkr wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:12 pm

I wanted to show cases where I think they made a mistake by not moderating

Constructive.Thanks.

IMHO - the stakeholders - sitemanager,moderators,members -
all fumbled in the vote-thread and
the hamas-thread.
Nothing is solved by NOT having the
talks,discussion.
We have seen various posts,threads
after the deletion of the vote-thread and hamas-thread reflecting
the frustrations.

However - I suggest that further
talks happen behind closed doors
over in the TRULY OFFTOPIC-section.

THIS thread has seemingly already
morphed into a hairball.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Is this an appeal to Authoritarianism?

I get a good laugh thinking about myself as an Authoritarian. No one has ever said I'd be any good at it.

Does one have to go to school to learn it or does it come naturally?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:11 am

Does one have to go to school to learn it or does it come naturally?

I believe it comes naturally to some. Maybe hardwired in the way cited in the Smithtonian article above.
It's your thread, rockedge. Are you encouraging a digression into the political science?

Grey

Post by Grey »

greengeek wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:00 pm

Of course some will say this is nonsense but I do believe that certain people DO have genes for a particular brain wiring. Some families DO have a predisposition for creativity.

I'll put it another way (without nonsense). Stop fooling yourself. We have "family dynasties" here. Jewish families (grandfather, son, grandson, nephew, cousin and so on) "work" in television and at the Academy of Sciences (whether they consider themselves Jews is another matter). The families of the Slavs in the coal mine with the whole family. So it's not because someone out there has some kind of gene. This is because some children have been going to extra classes since childhood, stay in the capital and have priority and relatives in the right places.

As a child (teenager), I went to 5 additional education clubs at once. Chess, airplane modeling, auto modeling, computer and radio. I don't have any genius genes.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Couple comments since mine seem to want to derail what this site is for. Discussion of authoritarians, and some other seems to be directly related to "Nonsense" reaction. (I've shared that in a response as I have been around collegians and Senior Corporate leaders from all walks of life and I fail to see knowledge, intelligence, envisioned pathways associated within/embedded within ANY particular group of people.)

Historical and archaeology information is helpful in seeing this as well.

Remove the area and anyone who leaves only existed here for their ability to cause/support the chaos. They aren't leaving because of any technological loss to this forum. Besides, it would be petty of them to vocalize that they are leaving because they lost the right to bitch about things unrelated to the forum.

I continue to repeat: "Puppy Linux Discussion" Forum and what is best for this forum in support of its developers, contributors, members, and users. The downsides to continuing its 'Off-Topic' presence is risks not worth taking.

Last edited by Clarity on Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

What a way to find new interest in developing Puppy Linux in 2024...going back and learning from the start.

@rockedge I like it too. Maybe worth to add it to "Links" menu?

some1

Post by some1 »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:45 am

@rockedge I like it too. Maybe worth to add it to "Links" menu?

Me too.Used it for years.
I still remember the fondness of using
the NOP-version for officework.
XFCE+OpenOffice.sfs
Stitched together by someone named Grey.

Grey

Post by Grey »

I still remember the fondness of using
the NOP-version for officework.
XFCE+OpenOffice.sfs
Stitched together by someone named Grey.

It was a good Grey. But his battery ran out. The second and current Grey is not very good. But we will improve the model and the third one will become the president of the Galaxy and finally force these stubborn inhabitants of Saturn to use MATE+LibreOffice🥶😼!

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:35 am

Remove the area and anyone who leaves only existed here for their ability to cause/support the chaos. They aren't leaving because of any technological loss to this forum. Besides, it would be petty of them to vocalize that they are leaving because they lost the right to bitch about things unrelated to the forum.

I continue to repeat: "Puppy Linux Discussion" Forum and what is best for this forum in support of its developers, contributors, members, and users. The downsides to continuing its 'Off-Topic' presence is risks not worth taking.

Absolutely. Useless forum area that just brings out the worst in all of us. I don't know why it is, but most everyone in Scotland knows fine that we are all fundamentally nutcase under the calm, wise, surface many like to project (but does anyone take that seriously - really?!). Those who claim otherwise are more nutcase than the rest of us - pure delusion. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not know how nutcase everyone else was on this forum anyway. It is difficult enough 'talking' to them when the subject is just something related to Linux - crazy flame wars about which distro is 'best', when there is no such thing, accusations of arrogance, of sitting on a pedestal, of being a 'traitor' (to what???) and so on - everyone nutcase enough without encouraging us to show just how nutcase we all latently are via a free-for-all Truly-Off-topic area. No we don't need it. No it does not provide us with any useful advantage. Best we know less about each other rather than more!!!

It also makes no difference whatsoever who quits or resigns; the desire to feel appreciated, to have more forum status, the thanks we sometimes get for the most ridiculous things; no harm in most of that, but nutcase for sure. This 'ship' is not sinking. It will sink if no-one is willing or able to pay the bills. Otherwise, it just goes on for as long as anyone has any interest in it. Whether anything good comes out of it at all, I myself have no idea - it is a hobby and sometimes an enjoyable and interesting hobby, but could really do without that truly-off-topic area - who here wants to be converted to anyone else's idea of right and wrong or truth or falsehood. Not me.

Urban Slang (certainly per the pub in Scotland, which is maybe not the province of those who think they are above such plebs):

Nut Case

1. A mans scrotum, ball bag, yam bag.
  2. Someone who has different views to your own.
  3. I snagged my nut case on the barbed wire fence.
  4. What would you know your a nut case.

Yes, that's what I think of everyone here. Me too. So let's just do Linux.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

rockedge wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:36 pm

@stemsee what will it take to get you to stop pushing what ever religion your pushing here?

How is it you never criticise wiak for forcing atheism down everyone's throats and his bullshit way of post-justification, never mind personal attacks!

If you are now saying that I have a history of pushing religion, in general, then, edit: God bless you, demonstrate it. Or has wiak brainwashed you, and the others, so successfully! Obviously he has more sway to the point of invulnerability, like a benevolent dictator for life. Just points for consideration, no need to take action! wiak has a license to abuse, with full support of the administration. Everyone else is just a bystander waiting for the hit'n'run. While clarity who has never contributed any working code in his entire life has the biggest mouth on the planet, which again supports ultra right wing fascists obviously in control!

Last edited by stemsee on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiak

Post by wiak »

wiak has never said he is an atheist, and it is no-one's business on this forum anyway.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”