How to run uget as Root?

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

How to run uget as Root?

Post by mikeslr »

Uget is a great application, especially for downloading ISOs and other large files: frees one's browsers to do something else at the same time; can pick-up where it left off if interrupted; and when multiple download sources are available can draw from each simultaneously.

But under Bookworm /usr/bin/uget-gtk is written to run uget as Spot, downloading only to /home/spot. That folder always occupies RAM. Downloading large files into RAM is not usually desirable, especially if you have limited RAM. And if the downloaded file has only Spot permissions --I don't know if it does-- that adds another level of complexity to obtain a useable download.

AFAIK uget does not have to be structured to run a spot under Bookworm. I use it all the time under Fossapup64, F96 and Bionicipup64 where it defaults to 'root' and I can set its download folder to whatever is convenient.

Uget-gtk is a script; and scripting is not my forte. How to modify it to run as Root? Would substituting F-96's uget-gtk script create problems? Edit: I see that F-96's uget-gtk is a binary; but Jammy64's is just a script.

MochiMoppel

Re: How to run uget as Root?

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikeslr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:42 am

Uget-gtk is a script; and scripting is not my forte.

There is another file:uget-gtk.bin. This is the "real" thing.
You could rename the uget-gtk script to whatever you like (or delete it), then rename uget-gtk.bin to uget-gtk and make it executable. This uget-gtk will then run as root. Haven't tested, but should work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

I don't know about UGet, Mike.....but I have used Smokey01's wee GUI he built for the Axel 'light' download accelerator:-

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 8#p1006546

I put it all together in a wee .pet package. This was originally compiled in FatDog64, but like the version of XVidCap I turned into a 'portable', it just seems to work in every Pup I've ever thrown it at.

It's an "oldie but goodie", which I suspect many of us have forgotten all about. It works well, too.

Just an idea, like....

T'other Mike. ;)

Attachments
Axel-2.17.8-amd64.pet
Axel.....lightweight download "accelerator", from Smokey01
(230.98 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Mike for the pet and MochiMoppel for the suggestion. I'll try the suggestion first as I'm pretty familiar with uget's relationship to aria2 and curl.

Return to “BookwormPup”