Another Jammy64pup

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: Another Jammy64pup

Post by Clarity »

@mikeslr I agree that the work of the developers of KL series distros have an incredible product and as such the numbered priority nature of boot processing.

I wonder if Pup's development could switch wheelhouses at this time in their years of process pattern. And, I'm sure if tradition is correct how many in forum community would agonize trying to consider this "KL" manner of boot processing.

Good idea, though, you present for consideration of an increased logical structural arrangement for priority selection and control during boot.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I just pushed https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 0af2fe5e1d into woof-CE.

This commit adds https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... kernel.yml, a monthly job that rebuilds the Ubuntu 22.04 kernel (from the source package of the latest Ubuntu 22.04 kernel, with all bug fixes and security fixes by Canonical), with aufs and minimal Puppy customization (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/puppy ... figs/jammy) like reduced printk verbosity, built-in squashfs and so on.

This kernel is bigger than the 5.15.x you can find in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... el-kit.yml (the one used by most current Puppy releases with 5.15.x), but hardware support should be wider and more drivers that work in Ubuntu 22.04 will work with this one. This kernel should be a bit older (not the latest upstream 5.15.x from kernel.org) and more stable because it goes through Canonical's QA before an update is released to the wide population of systems running Ubuntu 22.04.

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jrb and thank you for this. I've tried B1 on my Intel Braswell N3150 feeble system and everything is working as expected.

The modesetting driver never works properly on Intel GPUs so I changed to the Intel driver and that is working fine.

The WiFi is working and I'm using Palemoon to post this.

Recent MPV needs vd-lavc-dr=no in mpv.conf to get it to work properly on Braswell, but with that it's all working.

I have also booted a copy with an AUFS kernel, with zdrv adjusted for Jammy, and punionfs=aufs. That worked normally too.
With AUFS you get the "next boot will be faster" feature as soon as you boot with a savefile and it takes about 33MB of the savefile.

jrb

Post by jrb »

OK, New ISO at page 1 post 1

Petbuild MPV for mediaplayer and DVDplayer, DeaDBeef for audioplayer, pmusic_CD for CDplayer, it autoplays so gets the nod (DeaDBeef too confusing on CD's, at least for me).

Included a Screen Capture app on the graphics menu, mtpaint -s. Take a Shot didn't work properly for me.

ffconvert included too, needs testing.

Blueman opens, tells me I don't have anything to connect to (true). Maybe someone out there can test it for me.

Tacked on a bit of script to /usr/local/petget/petget so non-debian .pets won't have library confusion. petget-old is there however in case it needs to be changed back.

Will post the bdrv (apt package manager) after a bit more testing. Went to upload it and realized I haven't tested the latest package at all. :?

Try it and let me know what you think. I think it's pretty close to ready, knock on wood.

Cheers, J

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Looking forward to starting a Jammy64pup and taking it out for a spin or two.

Marv

Post by Marv »

Morning jrb,

B2 downloaded earlier, md5sum fine. I'm running it now and posting from the usual Brave portable. Haven't done much else yet but overall it looks good. Got to do some business first, then I'll play with multimedia and maybe try to add to the petget mods to first warn about, then maybe work around pets with physical /lib, /bin, /sbin etc. Any other major changes I should look at/for?

Thanks, Jim

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

jrb

Post by jrb »

Marv wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:59 pm

Morning jrb,

B2 downloaded earlier, md5sum fine. I'm running it now and posting from the usual Brave portable. Haven't done much else yet but overall it looks good. Got to do some business first, then I'll play with multimedia and maybe try to add to the petget mods to first warn about, then maybe work around pets with physical /lib, /bin, /sbin etc. Any other major changes I should look at/for?

Thanks, Jim

Right now any .pets that install to /bin, /sbin, /lib* will crash the computer. The code I added to the end of petget

Code: Select all

if [ -d /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu ]
  then
    cd /usr/lib
    for i in `ls *.so*`; do ln -s /usr/lib/$i /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu; done
    cd /usr/lib64
    for i in `ls *.so*`; do ln -s /usr/lib64/$i /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu; done
fi

simply links libs that are installed in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, making them useable. If you can figure out a way to get petget to refuse to load into the symlinked directories that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help Jim,

J

Marv

Post by Marv »

I have a working blocker but so far I haven't gotten the fixer part to work. It is in /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh. For simplicity I'd like it in petget but so far I don't see how to do it simply there. Shinobar has a test function in install.pkg.sh for pets that install to /mnt or /mnt/home and I set one up along those lines there that tests for the symlinks in the installed pup and the non-symlinked dirs in the pet and fairly politely cancels the install. That works and is fairly clean. Kept it separate from his for now. I have a variable set there that can trigger a fix but that is as far as I have gotten.

Not much else to report on B2, just using it.

Jim

update, I can do it in petget, working...

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

peebee

Post by peebee »

Some observations.........

It would be beneficial if PupControl and PupSysInfo could be included

A cpu load monitor in the systray would be useful

Roxfiler should open default lxterminal rather than urxvt

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

jrb

Post by jrb »

peebee wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:48 am

Some observations.........

It would be beneficial if PupControl and PupSysInfo could be included

A cpu load monitor in the systray would be useful

Roxfiler should open default lxterminal rather than urxvt

PupControl, PupSysinfo, systray load monitor will be in next build. :thumbup:

Roxfiler-lxterminal - Never thought about that before so I booted up an earlier build without rxvt-unicode, just lxterminal and *rxvt*, xterm, symlinks to it. Roxfiler still opened up an rxvt-like window. So I removed /usr/bin/lxterminal and lxterminal-rxvt and Roxfiler still opened up an rxvt-like window. All other terminal options were dead. I am led to conclude that Roxfiler has its own builtin terminal emulator. I wonder if this has always been the case? Have you managed to get it use lxterminal?

Thanks for the suggestions, J

Edit: Forgot to mention, rxvt never showed up in taskmanager when Roxfiler window was open.

gychang

version B2 crashes on boot if gthumb is installed...

Post by gychang »

on my UEFI PC, with frugal install on internal HD (using frugalpup), it kept crashing on boot and on my PC, installing the gthumb causes the problem. Other apps using PPM does not. Can someone verify, otherwise -B2 seems to be a winner! I recall I gave up on -B1 version due to kernel error on the reboot, likely after installing gthumb.

I prefer urxvt to lxterminal but that's just me... :? :?

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

jrb

Re: version B2 crashes on boot if gthumb is installed...

Post by jrb »

gychang wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:00 pm

on my UEFI PC, with frugal install on internal HD (using frugalpup), it kept crashing on boot and on my PC, installing the gthumb causes the problem. Other apps using PPM does not. Can someone verify, otherwise -B2 seems to be a winner! I recall I gave up on -B1 version due to kernel error on the reboot, likely after installing gthumb.

I prefer urxvt to lxterminal but that's just me... :? :?

I can verify the problem, and I have a fix. :) The libcap2-bin_2.44-1build3_amd64.deb package is still setup to install to /sbin, this causes the crash. Perhaps when ubuntu installs packages it has a workaround, I'll have to try installing with apt to find out. In the meantime boot with a different puppy or different pupsave and then you can go into your gthumb savefolder, or if I remember correctly mount your savefile, and move the /sbin folder into /usr. Then when you reboot it should be OK. Worked for me anyway.

BTW: I updated my database files, PPM->Configure_>Update database, before the install. Shouldn't be necessary but I wasn't taking any chances.

Good Luck, J

Edit: @Marv - I never expected this to be a problem with .deb files. I hope you can get a fix sorted out. 8-)

peebee

Post by peebee »

jrb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:39 pm

Have you managed to get it use lxterminal?

/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options

line:
<Option name="menu_xterm">defaultterminal</Option>

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

jrb

Post by jrb »

peebee wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:42 pm
jrb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:39 pm

Have you managed to get it use lxterminal?

/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options

line:
<Option name="menu_xterm">defaultterminal</Option>

That line is already in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options and the defaultterminal is set to lxterminal. I'm still puzzling over how it can open a terminal window when I have eliminated all terminal emulator apps.

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

jrb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:16 pm

or if I remember correctly mount your savefile, and move the /sbin folder into /usr.

I confirm this works after mounting the savefile and moving /sbin out of the way. There was already a /usr/sbin in the savefile and I didn't know how to move the contents on a mounted savefile. I did it later after it was loaded normally.

Marv

Post by Marv »

@jrb Firstcut: Here's a petget with a simple blocker for incompatible pups for a looksee and trial. The blocker is right at the beginning , is quite simple, but does require uextract. That's not too big and it is in the repos. I tried without it but anything else got quite clumsy. Pull the false gz and the uextract tag, make it executable, back up your petget and have a go. I made some good and bad pets and flogged it a bit and it seems ok but my ydrv only system served well early in the process :) Feel free to clean it up and beautify it if it works out.

I have another non-uextract blocker in installpkg.sh but It is quite a bit more complex, I'm not totally happy with it yet, and petget has already been modified for upup.

Just a first cut, and it does have a stub in it for fixing pets but not yet.

Attachments
petget_uextract.gz
needs uextract, pull false gz and uextract tag
(13.94 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

jrb

Post by jrb »

LateAdopter wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:28 pm
jrb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:16 pm

or if I remember correctly mount your savefile, and move the /sbin folder into /usr.

I confirm this works after mounting the savefile and moving /sbin out of the way. There was already a /usr/sbin in the savefile and I didn't know how to move the contents on a mounted savefile. I did it later after it was loaded normally.

Thanks for confirming. I'll try this out later.

jrb

Post by jrb »

Marv wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:55 pm

@jrb Firstcut: Here's a petget with a simple blocker for incompatible pups for a looksee and trial. The blocker is right at the beginning , is quite simple, but does require uextract. That's not too big and it is in the repos. I tried without it but anything else got quite clumsy. Pull the false gz and the uextract tag, make it executable, back up your petget and have a go. I made some good and bad pets and flogged it a bit and it seems ok but my ydrv only system served well early in the process :) Feel free to clean it up and beautify it if it works out.

I have another non-uextract blocker in installpkg.sh but It is quite a bit more complex, I'm not totally happy with it yet, and petget has already been modified for upup.

Just a first cut, and it does have a stub in it for fixing pets but not yet.

Jim, your petget gave me a nice warning and stopped install when I tried installing libcap2-bin_2.44-1build3_amd64.deb. But when I used PPM to install gthumbs it went ahead and installed without warning giving the /sbin crash situation.

I have to go into town on business and may not be back until this evening. Will continue working on this later.

Thanks, J

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Downloaded ISO file and booted it directly from its ISO file. In the following example, I get the saem boot results aka UPup's desktop, via ISO file booting in SG2D USB as well as native.

All is well.

Boots to desktop via ISO file directly as well as via SG2D
Boots to desktop via ISO file directly as well as via SG2D
Upup test in QEMU.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 13569 times
Marv

Post by Marv »

jrb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:09 pm

Jim, your petget gave me a nice warning and stopped install when I tried installing libcap2-bin_2.44-1build3_amd64.deb. But when I used PPM to install gthumbs it went ahead and installed without warning giving the /sbin crash situation.

I have to go into town on business and may not be back until this evening. Will continue working on this later.

Thanks, J

I'll look at the location of the checker in petget wrt downloaded pets, using gthumbs as a test case. Might well be be that downloads don't show up til installpkg.sh is called. Partly because we're on the end of a quite long much spliced & rather old run of copper here & partly out of habit I usually download and see if I have everything and then install. If I can get the logic of my checker sorted out in installpkg.sh, it looks to be better positioned to catch downloaded material there. Things puppyL are a bit slow here too. Jane is gone for a week to a quilting retreat so my dogshare is up from 1/2 to what feels like 3/2 of our 2 1/2 yr old wildchild.
Jim

Update: Moving the checker within petget didn't catch the bad file in the Gthumb download, libcap2-bin_2.44. My catcher in installpkg.sh did. It blocks that one file and continues downloading. Gthumb did launch and the system didn't crash :) The yaf-splash doesn't clear til the download is done but it did it's job. That catcher also caught all the bad local pets I tried (using your petget unmodified) but can't be quite as informative as the catcher in my petget since it has to catch-on-the-fly in a PPM install. the installpkg.sh catcher doesn't need uextract as shinobar has done the heavy lifting and a filelist is available for each item as it is processed.

Attached with a false gz. Again a first cut.

Attachments
installpkg.sh.gz
false gz, check executable status
(39.3 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

jrb

Post by jrb »

@Marv - I'll trade you. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't give this a go, so I worked up an installpkgs.sh which, so far, will modify .debs as they are installed and put everything in the right place. Some of the code was stuff I had already done before. Also gives actual file locations in /var/packages/*.files. Works for gthumbs anyway and also uninstalls cleanly from PPM. Only for .debs so far and adapting to other file types may not be as easy.

See what you think, I added #jrb to the end of every line I added or modified so easy to find. I'll have a look at yours before I go to bed tonight but I won't be able to work on anything until tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks, J

Attachments
installpkg.sh-jrb1.gz
(39.68 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Marv

Post by Marv »

@jrb Got it, it'll be later tomorrow also.
Thanks, Jim

jrb

Post by jrb »

Marv wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:30 am

@jrb Got it, it'll be later tomorrow also.
Thanks, Jim

I can tell just by looking at your code that you're better at this than I am. Feel free to clean up any of mine.

Cheers, J

jrb

Post by jrb »

Important Fix

@gychang identified a problem with installing some .debs (ubuntu and debian packages) using PuppyPackageManager. I turns out that some .debs still use the old debian file structure which can cause problems immediately or at next boot (crash). This could also happen when installing other packages, including .pets. @Marv and I are working on a fix which will be in the next release.

I don't want anyone to be frightened off by this problem so in the meantime I am posting a quickfix .pet which works for .pets and .debs, at least in my first testings. Counting on you guys to test further. It's only got my crude code so don't blame @Marv for the primitive work, his will be much better I'm sure.

@Marv - Thought I should get this out fast before anyone else has problems. (Couldn't sleep)

jammy64_ppm_fix updated 2 posts down

ppm_test1-all.pet
test for ppm .pet fix
(472 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by jrb on Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marv

Post by Marv »

It works here, both on pets and ppm installs so far. Looks good. In the attached installpkg.sh I put my 'catcher' in and only call it for .rpm and .tgz packages where you haven't done the cleanup. Adds tagged with my usual. Improbable fails but...

Cheers,

Attachments
installpkg.sh.gz
false .gz
(42.6 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

jrb

Post by jrb »

Important Fix Update

This is an update to the first Important Fix posted above. Marv has added code which prevents any incompatible .rpm's (redhat) or .tgz's (slackware) from being installed. You can uninstall jammy64_ppm_fix-0.1.pet first to cleanup /var/packages, or not. No difference in effectiveness.

Marv wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:02 pm

It works here, both on pets and ppm installs so far. Looks good. In the attached installpkg.sh I put my 'catcher' in and only call it for .rpm and .tgz packages where you haven't done the cleanup. Adds tagged with my usual. Improbable fails but...

Cheers,

Tested your package on both .rpm and .tgz. Blocks incompatible but allows compatible. Very Nice!

Hopefully will have problem completely fixed in next ISO release, coming soon.

Small error in fix-0.2. Please download and install fix-0.3

jammy64_ppm_fix-0.3.pet
updated PPM fix to deal with incompatible software packages
(11.67 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by jrb on Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Good -and don't forget to sleep- I briefly looked at what it would make to set a symlinked pup flag variable and use that to trigger my 'catcher' and possibly put your real fixes in a function and trigger them with it too, but each of the package flavors are just enough different in how they are unpacked so that was both unwieldy and wound up saving little space even though it would keep the installpkg.sh more universal. You probably already thought that through.

Thanks, Jim

jrb

Post by jrb »

Marv wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:54 pm

Good -and don't forget to sleep- I briefly looked at what it would make to set a symlinked pup flag variable and use that to trigger my 'catcher' and possibly put your real fixes in a function and trigger them with it too, but each of the package flavors are just enough different in how they are unpacked so that was both unwieldy and wound up saving little space even though it would keep the installpkg.sh more universal. You probably already thought that through.

Thanks, Jim

Thought about but no solution yet. Would like some test that could make this compatible with all the puppybuilds in WoofCE.

P.S. Its not forgetting to sleep, its forgetting how to sleep. :roll:

Marv

Post by Marv »

jrb wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:23 pm
Marv wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:54 pm

Thanks, Jim

Thought about but no solution yet. Would like some test that could make this compatible with all the puppybuilds in WoofCE.

P.S. Its not forgetting to sleep, its forgetting how to sleep. :roll:

I'll chew on that 'universal' a bit more. Less urgency now and maybe the third time is the charm.

@jrb Ya, caught that in 0.2, one of my bad pets only had a /bin. I was working on a 'universal' installpkg.sh. so I just fixed it in the library_fixer function and carried on. The first and probably pretty raw go-round is attached, false gz as usual, For jrb only for now but forum won't let me attach to PM any more?

Tested only with pets so far, I will do more but attached just to let you know I am chewing on it.

A couple more tests, using libcap2-bin_2.44, the problem library from the gthumbs install. Installed both from PPM and from a downloaded deb. Ok in both, the problem files were relocated from /sbin to /usr/sbin. I'll put it in a non-symlinked pup next, probably F96-CE_2 and check installs for pets and debs there, both local and PPM.

OK, hopped over to F96-CE_2 with the library_fixer installpkg.sh on board. The same set of pets, debs, and PPM install as above. All successful with the libraries and executables all showing up in the 'traditional' locations.

Seems to be working, Cut2 (attached) passes pkg types to the library_fixer function a little more neatly. No other changes.

Renamed control variable SYMLINKEDLIBS to SYMLINKEDPATHS, set to false if no /symlinks found,
renamed library_fixer to path_fixer, inverted logic where called so it tests for "=true"
No change at all in function. attached as cut3

I'm pulling the attempt to extend it to rpms etc. (cut4) Both messy and failed tests. Cut3a is my current best attempt.

Jim

Attachments
installpkg.sh_cut3a.gz
(41.47 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
installpkg.sh_cut2.gz
(41.33 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by Marv on Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

Post by jrb »

Marv wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:29 pm

A couple more tests, using libcap2-bin_2.44, the problem library from the gthumbs install. Installed both from PPM and from a downloaded deb. Ok in both, the problem files were relocated from /sbin to /usr/sbin. I'll put it in a non-symlinked pup next, probably F96-CE_2 and check installs for pets and debs there, both local and PPM.

OK, hopped over to F96-CE_2 with the library_fixer installpkg.sh on board. The same set of pets, debs, and PPM install as above. All successful with the libraries and executables all showing up in the 'traditional' locations.

Seems to be working, Cut2 (attached) passes pkg types to the library_fixer function a little more neatly. No other changes.

Renamed control variable SYMLINKEDLIBS to SYMLINKEDPATHS, set to false if no /symlinks found,
renamed library_fixer to path_fixer, inverted logic where called so it tests for "=true"
No change at all in function. attached as cut3

cut4 is extended to rpm and tzst. Messier than pets'n'debs but roughly the same logic. Everything else retested, those not yet, I don't have testfiles or downloads for those types but will work on it. Deb handling syntax cleaned up a bit. Directory remove added at end of fixer after temp files in the temporary dir removed. Could also use rm -fr xxxx/pkg by itself or could just use mkdir -p at beginning also. Error message didn't affect operation but...

Jim

Wow, you've been busy. Sorry not to get back to you sooner but have been busy and also a bit burned out. Sometimes I have to let things cogitate in my hind brain for awhile. Got a bit of free time this afternoon and whipped out a version which seems to tick all the boxes. So far tested in Jammy64, s15pup64 and vdpup32 and everything seems to be working. I used

Code: Select all

if [ ! -L /bin ]; then

as the test. If true it uses the old installpkg code. If false it uses the new code. Have used .pets, .debs, .tgzs and .rmps and so far so good. Also incorporated the symlinking of libs into either /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu or /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu if they are present and appropriate.

Will try to understand your code, my main coding skill is typing "linux bash ..." into DuckDuckGo, and use it to clean things up.

Thanks for your hard work, J

Edit: On second thought it probably makes more sense for you to look at my latest and see what you can do with it. Better chance of you understanding my work than vice-versa. Major changes at line 262, between lines 350 - 491 and at the very end lines 1048 - 1065.

installpkgC2.sh.gz
(44.69 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Return to “Built from woof-CE Recipes”