Iron 'portable' browser - now at 108.0.5500.0 - 64-bit ONLY (with updater!)

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Iron 'portable' browsers - 88.0.4500.0

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, boys & girls.

Now then; here we are, at long last. Iron 88 has just recently been released.....so; here, for your enjoyment, is Iron-portable v88.0.4500.0.

-----------------------------------------

Everything is behaving itself with this release. SRWare caught everybody on the hop by releasing that 'quick' upgrade on v84, v85.....but I honestly think something was ever so slightly 'hinky' with v85. For me, at least, any attempt at scrolling resulted in stuttery, jerky behaviour, and various other things were nowhere near as smooth as I've come to expect from this fantastic browser. There again, perhaps it was the guys at the Chromium Project "experimenting" again; one or two of the mid-80's Chrome releases weren't as smooth as they could have been. Everybody else gets whatever code is served up to them, of course.....and just has to make of it what they can.

This time, as usual, everything is as smooth as so much oiled silk. It's all functioning beautifully.....including WideVine, for those NetFlix/Spotify/Hulu/Amazon Prime/whatever nuts among you. No sign of PepperFlash, of course; with this release, support has now finally been dropped for this dinosaur relic of yore.

Anyway, that's enough "maundering" from me!

--------------------------------------------------

You can find the new portables at the usual link in post #1. 32-bit and 64-bit are still both available, so keep your fingers crossed the 32-bit builds will continue for a while yet.... (Yay!!)

Mesdames et messieurs.....enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Afternoon, boys & girls.

Now then; here we are, at long last. Iron 88 has just recently been released.....so; here, for your enjoyment, is Iron-portable v88.0.4500.0.

Hello Mike,
Thanks again for this update. One install and working in both DpupStrech 7.5 and QuickPup 20.6.6 both 32bit. However, I've got something I haven't seen before. The attached image shows a line of text, in a box, which appears just below the favourites bar. This can be removed by clicking the "x" at the end of the box, however, it reappears every time the browser is started. I've looked in Setting>Safety check and Setting>Privacy and security but can find nothing related to this message. I'm guessing the message might be to do with not running the browser as "spot" but I know very little about this.

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
message.jpg
message.jpg (8.15 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@keniv:-

Nah, that's a very long-standing part of the Chromium code-base, Ken. Every Chromium 'clone' acts the same. They don't like you running as /root.....simple as that. Folks who run as a "normal" user in multi-user mainstream distros never, ever see it.

It can be prevented with the use of the "--test-type" exec-line switch - I was using this in the launch wrapper till recently - but, as others have reported discovering, when it's used certain people then lose access to a/cs. Google won't let you sign-in. Banks start getting "funny" about stuff. Any on-line entity that takes security even halfway seriously will have "issues" with it.

The switch that USED to prevent this showing was the "--disable-infobars" one, but this was deprecated back fairly early on in the 70-series.....many, many releases back. If you use Iron in Puppy - as root - and want it to remain "fully functional", you just get used to clicking it off when it fires up. It's so much a part of my routine now I no longer even think about it..!! :D

It's just one of those Puppy "quirks" you get used to. For the advantage of still being able to run a brilliant Chrome lookalike in a 32-bit Puppy, it's a VERY small price to pay.

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh

Nah, that's a very long-standing part of the Chromium code-base, Ken. Every Chromium 'clone' acts the same. They don't like you running as /root.....simple as that. Folks who run as a "normal" user in multi-user mainstream distros never, ever see it.

That's funny as I don't remember seeing it before. I'm going to put it down to yet another effect of old age. I probably don't use Iron as much as Palemoon so that might be a second reason.

It's just one of those Puppy "quirks" you get used to. For the advantage of still being able to run a brilliant Chrome lookalike in a 32-bit Puppy, it's a VERY small price to pay.

Yes I'm still very glad to have these two options of an up to date 32bit browser. In my bid to get used to more up to date pups I've tried both 64bit and 32bit pups and my favourite of the ones I've tried is still DpupStretch so I still need 32bit browsers. Clicking an "x" in a box is a very small price to pay for that.

Regards,

Ken.

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

@mikewalsh
It seems that with Iron portable browsers - 88.0.4500.0 this time I was able to login in my google account. (32 bit version)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Dingo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm

@mikewalsh
It seems that with Iron portable browsers - 88.0.4500.0 this time I was able to login in my google account. (32 bit version)

A-ha. Good, good. Nice one. Glad to hear that's now behaving itself for you.

Excellent.

Mike. ;)

s243a

Post by s243a »

Hello Mike,

I was wondering if you created a .desktop file for this like you did for "Ungoogled Chromium".

Thanks in advance.

s243a

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@s243a :-

Aye; got one here.

As before, just modify the script in /root/my-applications/bin.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
Iron64_portable-MenuEntry.pet
Menu Entry .pet for Iron-portable...
(19.71 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

darry19662018

Old Pup Tested Slacko 5.4.0.5

Post by darry19662018 »

Tested this on my cutdown version of Slacko 5.4.0.5 worked well without need of GTK3 or any other additions.

mikewalsh

Re: Iron 'portable' browsers - 89.0.4550.0

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, guys'n'gals.

SRWare released the new version of Iron 3 days ago, so here's the 'portable' version of v89.0.4550.0. This brings us up to just one release behind Chrome/Chromium.

------------------------------

No real changes that I can see; just more of the same steady, reliable behaviour that we've come to expect from the Iron browser. I still say it's a brilliant way to get a decent Chrome "lookalike" for 32-bit systems, and it's dead reliable all round TBH.

------------------------------

Anyways; you'll find the new version at the usual location in post #1, as always. Posting from it now, in 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5.

Have fun!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Re: Iron 'portable' browsers - 89.0.4550.0

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 pm

SRWare released the new version of Iron 3 days ago, so here's the 'portable' version of v89.0.4550.0. This brings us up to just one release behind Chrome/Chromium

Hello Mike,
Thanks again for this update. One install and working in both 32 bit DpupStrech 7.5 and QuickPup 21.01.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Re: Iron 'portable' browsers - 90.0.4600.0

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, gang. Some good news.....and some "not-so-good", I'm afraid.

SRWare have released v90 of the 64-bit browser. However; they have now quit developing the 32-bit build any further. This was not entirely unexpected, given that going "64-bit only" is standard practice nowadays, and is happening everywhere you look. Frankly, I expected SRWare to make this announcement far sooner than they have. We've had a good run with this one, kids.

So; the v89 build I packaged last time will be your lot, I'm afraid. In fact, SRWare themselves have 'pegged' the available 32-bit download at v88, and marked it "Legacy" in BIG letters, just so there should be no confusion about it!

--------------------------------------------------------

The new 64-bit v90 'portable' - v90.0.4600.0 - can be found at the usual location in post #1.

The one positive thing to say about the demise of the 32-bit version is that it will still be perfectly usable for a LONG TIME to come. Nobody says as much, but the Chromium code-base is "unofficially" supported for anything up to 30-odd releases down the line, before things stop working.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen with Vivaldi over the next couple of releases.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat May 15, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenial

Re: Iron 'portable' browsers - 90.0.4600.0 - now 64-bit ONLY

Post by xenial »

@mikewalsh
Thank you for the information mike.
it would appear in my mind that the 32bit builds of vivaldi will cease in time to come if this is anything to go by.
I should point out the latest version of vivaldi 3.8 does not even start on 32bit machines.

I cannot say i have tried iron but the only stable chromium browser for 32bit at this moment in time is the vanilla chromium version itself.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh

However; they have now quit developing the 32-bit build any further.

Another 32bit browser bites the dust. Bad news for me but not unexpected. Can you tell me if there are any 32bit portable browsers left. I had a feeling there was still a 32 bit version of seamonkey but now I'm not sure.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

keniv wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:53 pm

@mikewalsh

However; they have now quit developing the 32-bit build any further.

Another 32bit browser bites the dust. Bad news for me but not unexpected. Can you tell me if there are any 32bit portable browsers left. I had a feeling there was still a 32 bit version of seamonkey but now I'm not sure.

Regards,

Ken.

@keniv :-

You're in luck. I just built the new Seamonkey-portables earlier today. You can find them here:-

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=1640

Yes, like I said; not exactly unexpected. I'm in the middle of doing the Vivaldi-portables ATM. According to xenial, the 32-bit version won't fire-up in Xenialpup 7.5 any longer, and that's MY newest 32-bit Puppy. I suspect it's clamouring for newer libs, which wouldn't surprise me at all..... I might have to 'borrow' them from Bionic. Either that, or DPup 'Stretch', though they're not much newer than Xenialpup's.....

I shall find out soon.

32-bit 'clones' disappearing, Pale Moon has completely gone to pot.....looks like we're back to the old "favourites" for 32-bit again, Firefox & Seamonkey.

You'll have to try some newer Pups, Ken, it's no good....!! :lol:

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

@mikewalsh
Hi mike,
not just 32bit puppy it is not firing up with but 32bit linux in general..mint and the buntus versions have been reported as not starting so it is not a specific puppy issue.Been reported on the vivaldi forum but i wouldn't hold your breath awaiting a fix from them.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

xenial wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:55 pm

@mikewalsh
Hi mike,
not just 32bit puppy it is not firing up with but 32bit linux in general..mint and the buntus versions have been reported as not starting so it is not a specific puppy issue.Been reported on the vivaldi forum but i wouldn't hold your breath awaiting a fix from them.

Myself, I suspect the Vivaldi team have upgraded their build-environment, so newer libs, other stuff, etc, etc.

Now in mainstream distros, no way will they allow you to 'pollute' the OS by having multiple generations of the same dependency on tap. Oh, goodness me, NO...!!

We do a lot of things here in Puppyland that wouldn't be allowed by the 'big boys'!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh

You'll have to try some newer Pups, Ken, it's no good....!!

Well as you probably know I've been doing just that. I've tried a number of 64 bit pups as well as more modern 32bit pups like DpupStretch. Unfortunately the one I like best of these is DpupStretch so I still have the 32bit browser problem. I've also just tried EasyOS, first on a flash drive and then as a frugal install on an hdd booting with grub4dos but have not spent much time using it. I still have the problem with the machine I use in my shed which is 32bit only. I'll download and try your portable 32bit seamonkey but the way things are going I wonder how long it will last.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

keniv wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:17 pm

@mikewalsh

You'll have to try some newer Pups, Ken, it's no good....!!

Well as you probably know I've been doing just that. I've tried a number of 64 bit pups as well as more modern 32bit pups like DpupStretch. Unfortunately the one I like best of these is DpupStretch so I still have the 32bit browser problem. I've also just tried EasyOS, first on a flash drive and then as a frugal install on an hdd booting with grub4dos but have not spent much time using it. I still have the problem with the machine I use in my shed which is 32bit only. I'll download and try your portable 32bit seamonkey but the way things are going I wonder how long it will last.

Regards,

Ken.

Ah, you get spells like this, mate. I've been expecting summat like this to happen with the 32-bit clones for a while now; I'm pleasantly surprised they've lasted this long. AFAIK, neither Mozilla nor the Seamonkey team have any intentions of dropping 32-bit builds for the forseeable future.

Myself, I shall carry on with Iron 89 for quite a while yet. I don't visit any of those annoying social media sites, which are the ones that usually bitch & moan about needing the newest version of your browser all the time, so.....it'll do me for at least the next year or so. I suspect, however, the writing is on the wall for 32-bit generally speaking; I don't think it's much longer for this world, y'know.....

Times move; we have to move with 'em, eventually.

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

Right. New release at long last! Here's v91.0.4650.0 for y'all....

(Dropped the ball a bit here, I'm sorry to say. :oops: This was released around 3 weeks ago, but I've had so much else on it kinda slipped my mind. Oh, well; the next release will just be here that much sooner..!)

Only 64-bit now, I'm afraid. Despite that the Chromium Project is still producing 32-bit builds, virtually none of the regular 'clone' builders are making use of it any longer. I think Vivaldi are the only ones, and for most it refuses to fire up. Sign o' the times, really; even 32-bit Windows users are now coming under pressure - from MyCrudSoft themselves - to upgrade to the 64-bit builds instead. I never thought I'd see the day when THAT happened.

Once M$ officially kill off 32-bit builds, that will be the "death-knell" sounded for everybody else.....and the rest of the industry will rapidly fall into line. And that will be the end of 32-bit.

Anyways; you can still enjoy the 64-bit build of this brilliant carbon-copy of Chrome, so.....have fun. Available from the new link in post #1.

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Re: Iron 'portable' browsers - 91.0.4650.0 - now 64-bit ONLY

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike, your link at first post needs to be fixed, should be: https://mega.nz/folder/rDhWTb6R#tc5D8vzkbF6YsnbPufB3qw

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:31 am

Hi Mike, your link at first post needs to be fixed, should be: https://mega.nz/folder/rDhWTb6R#tc5D8vzkbF6YsnbPufB3qw

Hi, Fred.

Thanks for the heads-up; all 'fixed' now. It's me; I cannot get used to the fact that this new Forum software 'auto-parses' any URL you feed it.....without the need to wrap URL 'tags' around it!

BleepingComputer, where I moderate, has always done this.....but somehow, here in Puppyland, it just doesn't seem right doing the same thing.

I'll get there eventually. Takes stuff a while to percolate through this thick skull of mine.... :oops: :D

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi All, here's appimage Iron-Portable64, made from Mike's latest setup:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... ZT5v9efOtG
EDIT: Re-uploaded, link replaced, fixed that it didn't show in the Puppy Menu, should now appear in category "Internet"
Make it executable before running.
Created with 'cr-appimage2', profile dir "iron-profile" will be at the same level as the appimage. EDIT: Info about "cr-appimage2" here: viewtopic.php?p=29851#p29851
Also a menu entry "Iron-Portable64" should be created after once launching the appimage (probably in category 'Other' . EDIT in category "Internet" now).
Modified 'cr-appimage2' a bit with a workaround to make 'Widevine' work (for DRM protected material), so e.g. NetFlix, SpotifyWeb etc... should work OK.
EDIT: info about this here: viewtopic.php?p=28872#p28872 (for Opera)

Fred

fredx181

Iron 'portable' browser appimage

Post by fredx181 »

Download link in previous post replaced, fixed that it didn't show in Puppy Menu, see EDIT.

mikewalsh

Re: Iron 'portable' browser - 91.0.4650.0 - now 64-bit ONLY

Post by mikewalsh »

'Kay, gang.

Slight mod, re-work & re-upload. In line with what's steadily happening with all my portable builds, Iron-portable now has the ability to add a Menu entry from whatever its location happens to be (IF required). The 'MenuReadMe' explains how it works.

From the link in post #1.....as always.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right. Now then:-

Following a PM from mikeslr, I just want to make it clear that although the 64-bit Iron-portable will always be the newest version available, I will keep a copy available of the final 32-bit release of Iron, too. This is now 'pinned' by SRWare at v88; however, for some reason my final 32-bit Iron-portable is at v89. :o :)

You can always find this at the link in post #1.

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
There's a little bit of a story to this. I thought I'd try Easy OS. I installed easy-2.7.2 which I updated a couple of time and after today is now is at 2.9. I found I could run your 64 bit portable versions of iron, opera and slimjet on it. I thought I'd check the portables and update them as well. I started with the 64 bit version of iron and this is where my problems started. I tried to download the update from the link on first post in this thread. This shows a 32 bit and a 64 bit folder both reporting a size of 1MB! I selected the the 64 bit folder then right clicked it. I selected "download" and was given two options i.e. "Standard download" or "Download as zip". I have tried both of these. With standard download a window opens showing iron-portable64.tar.gz and the md5 checksum. Also another window opens asking me to allow the download of multiple files (presumably the two aforementioned files). If I allow this the iron-portable64.tar.gz downloaded fails to extract. Choosing "Download as zip" also produces a file which fails to extract. Am I missing something here? Would you be good enough to check that the download from MEGA works for you.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Try it again, Ken. It's the MEGA desktop sync client; I know exactly what the problem is. It worked fine when I first installed it, but ever since it updated itself it's been hit or miss as to whether it'll condescend to work or not!

I've re-uploaded both versions the 'traditional' way, so.....give those links another try. It should be OK now.

Sorry about that. :oops:

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Thanks Mike,
Download worked this time but I appear to have updated to v 89.0.4550.0 and not v 91.0.4650 as in the title of the thread. Again I'm wondering if this is something I've done or is this the version which is currently stored on MEGA. Again would you be good enough to check this for me.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Quite simple, Ken. SRWare quit building the 32-bit browser after v89. They said, "That's it. 32-bit builds stop HERE. 64-bit ONLY from now on..."

The final 32-bit version is now 'pinned' as a 'legacy' build on their website. I think I warned you a while back this was happening; in fact, I'm sure I did. Yep; here we are:-

http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 417#p25417

Everything's going 64-bit only, Ken. In fact, if you have any machines that ARE 32-bit ONLY, you'll be retiring them before too long. 32-bit is fast approaching its end days; if MyCrudSoft have retired 32-bit builds of Windows, you know darned well that the writing is on the wall. :roll:

(64-bit has been around for about 18 years, mate. In the UK, it's 'come of age', and is now old enough to legally buy its own booze...! That's how long it's been about.)

There's been speculation surrounding 128-bit for at least the last 5 years. Go figure.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Browsers and Internet”