KLV-Airedale-beta25 with Debian Kernel 6.0.0-3-KLV SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Re: KLV-Airedale-beta25 with Debian Kernel 6.0.0-3-KLV SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC

Post by geo_c »

wiak wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:15 am

The other build void linux package may turn out to be better, but knowing how to use flatpak might be helpful - I just don't know how to use it...

Well, messing around in the beta26 install I recently did, I decided to install flatpak. All went smoothly, and I installed and ran the Frescobaldi Flatpak, and it booted up fine.

But here's where the 'multi-user' setup of beta26 might prove to be more than my run-as-root puppy inclination can handle.

Frescobaldi ran, but when I went to open a file from /mnt/home, I soon realized that there was no /mnt directory in the Frescobaldi browser. So that suggested to me the idea that I might need to use sudo or something like that, but I'm not sure just how to do that and whether there's a password involved, etc. The sudo command was part of the flatpak install line, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

sudo xbps-install -S flatpak

, but sudo was not part of the frescobaldi install line which looks like this:

flatpak install flathub org.frescobaldi.Frescobaldi

I installed flatpak from the terminal as per the flatpak website's instruction. But I got a message after installing it and when running frescobaldi"

Note that the directories 

'/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share'
'/root/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share'

are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable, so
applications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your desktop until the
session is restarted.

Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory

I don't know if that's related to /mnt not showing up or not. The frescobaldi run command looks like this:

flatpak run org.frescobaldi.Frescobaldi

Again frescobaldi and flatpak are running, but frescobaldi isn't accessing any directories outside the filesystem.

Last edited by geo_c on Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

seems like the flatpak version doesn't have the permissions or is "jailed" and can not access anything outside of the file system. I will look into the flatpak version but probably will just compile a new version against the latest Python requirements, At least get this up and running again for you now and in the future.

I did some family visits so I couldn't look into it any sooner

in the meanwhile try this:
open /etc/profile and add this line.

XDG_DATA_DIRS="/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS"

If anything goes amiss or the system crashes remove the line again and restart. I'll install it and see what we can do.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:29 am

I did some family visits so I couldn't look into it any sooner

I just posted this, and I'm still editing for clarity!

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:29 am

seems like the flatpak version doesn't have the permissions or is "jailed" and can not access anything outside of the file system. I will look into the flatpak version but probably will just compile a new version against the latest Python requirements,

Actually that last error line is a QT authentication protocol error, and right before installing I did a system update which included some QT elements.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

That can also be the culprit. Sometimes running the system update xbps-install -Suy will upgrade a bunch of stuff but need a second update to actually finish because some components need the second run because they are dependent on packages that need to be updated in a first stage and then will work on again on stage 2 upgrades.

I ran across this fix for the QT error, in a terminal ->

unset SESSION_MANAGER
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

rockedge wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:41 am

That can also be the culprit. Sometimes running the system update xbps-install -Suy will upgrade a bunch of stuff but need a second update to actually finish because some components need the second run because they are dependent on packages that need to be updated in a first stage and then will work on again on stage 2 upgrades.

As this matures to RC, should this step be an automated part of FirstRun processing for a pristine use? Or is this a special case that ONLY applies to this single instance?

Just some thoughts

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

geo_c wrote:

Again frescobaldi and flatpak are running, but frescobaldi isn't accessing any directories outside the filesystem

Can you be more specific what means "accessing any directories outside the filesystem" ?

Didn't test frescobaldi, but when I try to access files with vlc (also a QT application) I noticed that I can only select files in already mounted partitions, e.g in /mnt or /run/media/....
Is that what you mean or... ?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:25 pm
geo_c wrote:

Again frescobaldi and flatpak are running, but frescobaldi isn't accessing any directories outside the filesystem

Can you be more specific what means "accessing any directories outside the filesystem" ?

Didn't test frescobaldi, but when I try to access files with vlc (also a QT application) I noticed that I can only select files in already mounted partitions, e.g in /mnt or /run/media/....
Is that what you mean or... ?

Frescobaldi wasn't seeing /mnt or /run/media even when drives were mounted there. /mnt just wasn't showing up at all. I even tried dragging files from xfe, and it returned that the file didn't exist. Also I tried symlinking /mnt inside /root/Downloads. That didn't show up in Frescobaldi's file browser. Also Frescobaldi wasn't seeing much of /root, just Documents, Downloads and one other directory I can't remember. It seems like a permissions thing of some sort. I haven't been looking at it today, and I decided to install and check it out late last night when I was pretty punchy. So I need to take a second look.

I've got like 5 different installs of KLV, and just that one is beta26. So I've got plenty of space to experiment.

geo_c

Phil_54

Post by Phil_54 »

This may be in the wrong place, but I have not encountered this on any other puppy before.
On a new set up in KLV_Airedale_25 I set my brightness keys using brightnessctl (installed via octoxbps). It has always worked on any linux including puppies. It was working here. I am using RAM2 mode, so when rebooting I performed a save. On reboot, the keyboard shortcuts (F6 & F7)are still there, but they don´t work. If I change the % value in brightnessctl set 5%+ to 6%+ for example, and re allocate the relevant key, it works ok. Except on save and reboot it doesn´t.
I suspect I´m missing some activation code for the allocated keys during boot.
Please move post to elsewhere if necessary.
PS.
Generally KLVA working beautifully. Portable browsers Brave and Chrome perfect. Overall folder size after updates 1.5Gb. Best ever! Thanks.

2013 Toshiba chromebook, 2Gb ram, and SDcard :geek:

Return to “KLV-Airedale”