The murga-linux forum seems to be back up!!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

jamesbond

Re: The murga-linux forum seems to be back up!!

Post by jamesbond »

perdido wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 pm Mike,
Not going into specifics the reason I asked is that murga-linux.com still resolves to the linode.com server when I did a traceroute.
I was hoping 01micko could elaborate a bit more for those of us that have hundreds of murga-linux forum links tucked away.
The forum is indeed hosted on Linode VPS.
For how many years, we don't know exactly, but probably from 2015 onwards, if not earlier.
The particular Linode account is now under Puppy Linux ownership (multiple people have full access, so if any of us goes down, others can still manage it). It's definitely not going anywhere.
In addition, we have full backup of the forum data, in terms of SQL dump and the complete filesystem image, which can be fired out on other VPS if need be.

The "murga-linux.com" domain - Barry is still currently attempting to take ownership of that domain.
If we can get it back, then we will keep it alive, for the sake of old links pointing to it.
If we cannot get it back, it will expire on 20 November 2020 and old murga-forum.com links will die by then, unfortunately, but they can still be accessed by replacing murga-linux.com with oldforum.puppylinux.com
That being said, I know Barry is trying all he can to get the domain back.

The new domain oldforum.puppylinux.com is created for two reasons:
1) in the event we cannot get the murga-linux.com domain
2) For consistency with this new forum (forum.puppylinux.com) and make it easier for search engine to index both forums.

I hope this clarifies where things are going and resolves any doubt of the old forum's future.

cheers!
perdido

Re: The murga-linux forum seems to be back up!!

Post by perdido »

jamesbond wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:24 am
perdido wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 pm Mike,
Not going into specifics the reason I asked is that murga-linux.com still resolves to the linode.com server when I did a traceroute.
I was hoping 01micko could elaborate a bit more for those of us that have hundreds of murga-linux forum links tucked away.
The forum is indeed hosted on Linode VPS.
For how many years, we don't know exactly, but probably from 2015 onwards, if not earlier.
The particular Linode account is now under Puppy Linux ownership (multiple people have full access, so if any of us goes down, others can still manage it). It's definitely not going anywhere.
In addition, we have full backup of the forum data, in terms of SQL dump and the complete filesystem image, which can be fired out on other VPS if need be.

The "murga-linux.com" domain - Barry is still currently attempting to take ownership of that domain.
If we can get it back, then we will keep it alive, for the sake of old links pointing to it.
If we cannot get it back, it will expire on 20 November 2020 and old murga-forum.com links will die by then, unfortunately, but they can still be accessed by replacing murga-linux.com with oldforum.puppylinux.com
That being said, I know Barry is trying all he can to get the domain back.

The new domain oldforum.puppylinux.com is created for two reasons:
1) in the event we cannot get the murga-linux.com domain
2) For consistency with this new forum (forum.puppylinux.com) and make it easier for search engine to index both forums.

I hope this clarifies where things are going and resolves any doubt of the old forum's future.

cheers!
Hi jamesbond,
Thanks for the detailed reply.
That covers what I was curious about. Much appreciated!

-

Return to “Users”