THIS LANDED IN MY PM INBOX

Ideas and discussion

Wiz57

Re: THIS LANDED IN MY PM INBOX

Post by Wiz57 »

Grey wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:48 pm

I don't know, I don't know. It seems that someone revels in power and renames topics depending on their mood. The left heel itches - it will be like this, and the right heel itches - it will be like that.

Not sure they relish "power", but many times I notice, when I check the moderator logs, that no reason has been
given for whatever edit was done. SO, to fellow moderators, admins...when you make an edit, or a deletion,
please scroll down a tad bit further on the relevant reporting page and fill in a reason for the change. Yeah, I
know, it's in the wrong position on the page, but at least the rest of us know WHY a change/deletion was made!
Thank you,
Wiz ;)

Signature available upon request

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Well, one deletion of a post I did, was one of my posts, because I decided the info did not apply to the topic.
I now realize that that deletion is showing up in the moderator logs. (now that I am one of those people :ugeek: )
So, that log entry does not show a reason.
the post still had the delete option showing.
So I simply selected delete.

Anyone making a post, can delete it, until something gets posted after that post.

I wonder if some of those log entries, are about edits done to posts, made by the specific moderator, edited by that specific moderator.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Congratulations @bigpup and @mikewalsh with your new "job" as a moderator !

I am moderator too, initially made by rockedge for the DebianDogs section, for the rest I don't think I'm very much suitable for the job TBH. But I'll try to help where I can.

Just one criticism, I have at @Wiz57 , IMO you shouldn't call someone a 'moron' or 'idiot' just because you wholeheartedly disagree with someone's point of view (as at the end of the "Witch Brew" thread).

And in general, I hope that any (e.g. political) view won't influence moderators in their acting.
These are troubled times, I'm not surprised that the 'Corona' subject pops up in "Truly off-topic conversations" and that people have very different views at it.

Fred

tosim

Post by tosim »

bigpup-the avatar in the above ,(pup sweeping up the sh*t), would now be very appropriate, IMHO!

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:14 pm

Congratulations @bigpup and @mikewalsh with your new "job" as a moderator !

I am moderator too, initially made by rockedge for the DebianDogs section, for the rest I don't think I'm very much suitable for the job TBH. But I'll try to help where I can.

Just one criticism, I have at @Wiz57 , IMO you shouldn't call someone a 'moron' or 'idiot' just because you wholeheartedly disagree with someone's point of view (as at the end of the "Witch Brew" thread).

And in general, I hope that any (e.g. political) view won't influence moderators in their acting.
These are troubled times, I'm not surprised that the 'Corona' subject pops up in "Truly off-topic conversations" and that people have very different views at it.

Fred

Was tempted to fire off a reply, but have decided not to. I apologized in that post to the other forum members.
Wiz :|

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Wiz57 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:06 pm

I don't know, I don't know. It seems that someone revels in power and renames topics depending on their mood. The left heel itches - it will be like this, and the right heel itches - it will be like that.

Not sure they relish "power", but many times I notice, when I check the moderator logs, that no reason has been
given for whatever edit was done. SO, to fellow moderators, admins...when you make an edit, or a deletion,
please scroll down a tad bit further on the relevant reporting page and fill in a reason for the change. Yeah, I
know, it's in the wrong position on the page, but at least the rest of us know WHY a change/deletion was made!
Thank you,
Wiz ;)

Yah; fair comment!

I'm still feeling my way around ATM. I don't know if it's worse for me, or better, having prior mod experience. I know what the mod "tools" LOOK like (and how you use them), but being used to different forum software everything's in the "wrong" place.....or works in a different way.

I've done a couple of edits today, but in both cases we're only looking at stuff like punctuation or formatting - just making things a bit more readable, like. I know English is not everyone's first language, but I take the view that if I'm having a hard time comprehending somebody's post, I can't be the only one.

It took me a while to get into the swing of things over at BleepingComputer. It'll doubtless take me a while here, too.....but we'll get there. Eventually! :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:08 pm
Wiz57 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Thank you,
Wiz ;)

Yah; fair comment!

I'm still feeling my way around ATM. I don't know if it's worse for me, or better, having prior mod experience. I know what the mod "tools" LOOK like, but being used to different forum software everything's in the "wrong" place.....

It took me a while at BleepingComputer. It'll doubtless take me a while here, too.....but we'll get there. Eventually! :D

Mike. ;)

Just don't expect a pay raise when you get accustomed to where things are, LOL! :lol:

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Wiz57
@mikewalsh

Check your pm's, I just left you both a note that may be helpful when moderating. Glad you both have the patience to take on the task.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I never rename topics. Though I have corrected spelling on occasion.

Should there be a moderator sub forum to discuss or mention things that is hidden from regular members?

I've kind of avoided any hidden sections up to now but it might be prudent for administrative and moderation work. Will just the PM system suffice or is it better at times in a sub-forum?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

Erik:-

I feel staff DO need their own area where day-to-day, or longer term issues, can be discussed. And it needs to be so that ordinary members can't just wander in and start commenting. I think you'll find this is how most forums handle this kind of thing...

Here's a wee demo of what I see at BleepingComputer, as opposed to what ordinary members see:-

Some conversations simply shouldn't be open to public scrutiny, despite popular opinion that screams for "complete transparency" in absolutely everything... How are staff supposed to make decisions about the best way to deal with troublemakers, for instance, if said troublemakers can just wander in, pooh-pooh what's being discussed, and derail the entire thing, hmm..?

The last thing I want to be guilty of is pushing MORE work your way, but.......you did ask..! Just a single-section sub-forum ought to suffice, I think; we don't have need of all the sub-sections BC has. We have neither the membership, nor the staff levels.

I just think a forum would be easier for discussion than simply PMs, but that's only MY opinion. See what others think.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

A forum area only accessible by administrators, moderators and/or staff is a good idea. At TR, we also get
email notifications, many of which are sent by the automatic spamfilter which is in constant training...I've
added several dozens of known "spam words" to the list which automatically gets a post marked as spam and
removed. Then we have a Content Management System where these and messages flagged by members are
queued for review. The TR moderators have experimented with other forms of group discussions such as
Yahoo Messenger, and we even have a Slack channel...but our email system seems to be the most widely used
as we can reply to the group when we take action on a marked message. With a forum area, we could discuss
options when problem posters or other issues arise, which sometimes are best handled by "committee" rather
than any one individual.
Wiz
ps...might also give time for heated reactions to cool down prior to having to perform a distasteful task such
as banning and post removals.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

bigpup wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Well, one deletion of a post I did, was one of my posts, because I decided the info did not apply to the topic.
I now realize that that deletion is showing up in the moderator logs. (now that I am one of those people :ugeek: )
So, that log entry does not show a reason.
the post still had the delete option showing.
So I simply selected delete.

Anyone making a post, can delete it, until something gets posted after that post.

I wonder if some of those log entries, are about edits done to posts, made by the specific moderator, edited by that specific moderator.

bigpup...you can delete a post that even has replies...it leaves what I refer to as "orphan posts", which sometimes
seem out of place when the original is gone!
By the by, any member can delete their own posts, AND when they are doing this or just Editing the post,
the place to give a reason is located BELOW the Submit/Preview/Cancel buttons...not a big issue, most times
I can determine WHY a particular post was deleted, especially with obvious spam, or when a member is throwing
a temper tantrum.

Wiz :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

My original deletion, was when I was a normal member, not a moderator.
Normal members, do not have the same options showing, as a moderator sees.
On wiz57's post, I see 7 options I could do to it.
As a normal member. All I would see is 3 options on other than my posts. (thanks, report, or quote)

I cannot confirm this now.
But I seem to remember. I could make a post and as long as no one posted after me.
The option to delete the post, was visible to me.
If someone posted after I did.
That delete option no longer was there.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wiak

Post by wiak »

Personally, I believe in a 'hands-off' approach as far as possible; on the whole, who am I to judge?

I think I've only moved one post (or was it two, I can't recall). The one I remember moving was put in WeeDog section when it was about a Puppy Linux component. Previously I wouldn't even have moved that post, but since I had been pushed into posting WeeDog-related material into own section it only seemed fair to enforce that consistency. More generally, where a post should be placed can be very much a matter of opinion. I've even had a few of my own WeeDog-related posts moved up to Puppy Linux sections (talk about irritating - make your minds up guys...). Then I simply move them back again, but what a pain and waste of time...

I think I've only ever deleted one post, and that was the other day when someone was publishing gmail hack links, which cannot possibly be acceptable on this forum bearing in mind the trouble that could arise from that kind of activity. I make no apology for that deletion - and for not delaying it.

Nor am I an 'english-teacher' so cannot imagine me ever taking the liberty to modify the way anybody else writes their post(s). I make the occasional grammmmatical error too - I suppose it is no big deal to make the most minor 'fix' on somebody else's behalf, but there are various ways to write english, including american english and uk english, and the use, for example, of commas are somewhat different in these countries (with a tendency towards greater use of commas in the uk, for example). I certainly would never modify the wording or structure of someone else's original post - that is their copyright and intellectual property.

And I've never myself banned anyone. Of course I would like too, and I have been very very very close to doing so (as rockedge well knows...), but bit my tongue for long enough to let the moment pass ;-)
Which doesn't mean to say that I 'never' would, but I do try not to allow my own prejudices to decide any such matter, and my tendency when contemplating such an action would always be to first PM rockedge and discuss the matter. As long as he runs the forum, the final say, in my opinion, is his.

Oh, by the way, even someone with a BA first class honours degree in english makes a complete hash of it sometimes - that's up to them to fix. And, by the way, please consider all the crap I sometimes write as evidence of that, because though I feel neither the need or wish to boast about it I somehow or other was once upon a time awarded exactly that degree, which absolutely does not prevent me ignoring all rules of grammar and structure when I so feel like it (or can't help myself). There is also the matter of 'style', and 'your' style may not be mine or even appreciated by me.

Oh..., one further comment... please don't now keep a 'special eye' on my use of english. I make absolutely no attempt to achieve perfection with it, and sometimes treat writing on this forum in the same way I treat writing on a mobile phone (which Android auto-correction invariably messes up for me anyway). Even when writing a "How To Do Something" I'm frankly usually in a hurry (though do often try hard to structure matters close to how I want them) - I have a long list of matters I'm usually working on, some Linux-related, but many that are not, and that is the main reason I often choose to simply not publish something at all or at least not very promptly.

And, yes, the word 'english' should be written with a capital first letter. Thank you.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

p310don

Post by p310don »

And, yes, the word 'english' should be written with a capital first letter. Thank you.

I enjoy the irony of this sentence :)

Grey

Post by Grey »

Correcting, deleting, warning - all this is certainly good. But for a week nothing has been heard from taersh. Maybe he took offense and left. After all, his freedom of speech has been violated, and for him it is a valuable thing.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I think he'll still be around. @taersh is a valuable friend to the forum and has contributed often.

I feel he will understand the mistakes made and be able to move forward with us on improving.

taersh

Post by taersh »

joet12345 wrote:

If I get banned I want all my posts to get deleted..

And so it should be in my case.
I think it should be in general the case!
Who shall be banned should not survive by his/her posts.

dancytron wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:17 pm

FWIW, on another forum I'm on, they left the "off topic" section but just started forbidding politics, religion, etc and just deleted those posts on sight.
The trouble makers got bored and left.

I didn't make trouble with my "Pariah" topic which was completely removed.
Also I wasn't one of the trouble makers - if there was any...

wiak wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:24 pm

Is it the couple of years of covid restrictions that has driven everyone over the edge?

What couple of years?
Who is everyone?

The Sars-CoV-2 restrictions had not driven me anywhere, as I mentioned multiple times before: social distance is my preferred lifestyle for now almost 30 years.

Grey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:34 pm

Correcting, deleting, warning - all this is certainly good. But for a week nothing has been heard from taersh. Maybe he took offense and left. After all, his freedom of speech has been violated, and for him it is a valuable thing.

I'm busy in real life. I have to setup my drumkit again to be able to work on and to record new solos. Had to buy a 2nd mixing console, as I can record only 16 tracks simultaneously. So, all mini timbales and overheads are now on the 2nd mixer and its outputs goes into two channels of the main mixer. Main mixers remaining 14 tracks are used for all the other drums on the drumkit. To get everything well on the record it needs at least 20 microphones.

rockedge wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:18 pm

I think he'll still be around. @taersh is a valuable friend to the forum and has contributed often.

I feel he will understand the mistakes made and be able to move forward with us on improving.

Thanks. :)

However, I'm still deeply disappointed by the removal of the Pariah-Topic.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

misko_2083

Post by misko_2083 »

I love you, you big bunch of whiners. :lol:
There wasn't even a slightest doubt you'll line up eight freaking pages of posts, big as the king size bed sheets,
demanding a boring echo chamber of the politically correct.
P.S. Speaking of whining:
My attempt to make an animated gif was so lame.
I can blame the Delta layer of Covid I have right now and feel crappy
but the reality is that I don't know how to make a gif. :lol:

Do you want to exit the Circus? The Harsh Truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJwQicZHp_c

Grey

Post by Grey »

@misko_2083
Wow, in Serbian "Desktop" is written as "Радна површ", but I thought that "Радни сто" :)
Live forever, learn forever :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

darry19662018

A Thank You and Congrats

Post by darry19662018 »

Congrats to the new moderators and thank you to Rockedge for getting the new forum going and for the resurrection of the Murga Forum.

misko_2083

Post by misko_2083 »

Grey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:17 pm

@misko_2083
Wow, in Serbian "Desktop" is written as "Радна површ", but I thought that "Радни сто" :)
Live forever, learn forever :)

And I thought you FSB agents know everything. :lol:

Well translation depends on the translators and their professions.
"Radni sto" is a Work Table so it's a three dimensional object.
Computer table is sometimes a work table too.
If translators are mathematicians or prefer mathematical expressions for some reasons known to them they use radna površ.
"Radna površ" is a mathematical term, a part of the mathematical 2-dimensional plane limited with a closed line. Circle, triangle, square, random sketch
In mathematics površina is the size of površ expressed in units of messurements.
Površina in everyday speech is a surface, like surface of the table, screen, water surface, or "zelena površina" (green surface) meaning area covered with grass.
Sometimes I see "radna površina" work surface. It would be also an appropriate translation.
Also it's quite long so it's likely the translators shortened it to "radna površ" :D
So many options to choose.
One bad thing is when you have a space in your path it's a pain.
When I run something from that folder in terminal I have to single quote entire path.

Code: Select all

ls Радна површ 
ls: не могу да приступим „'Радна'“: No such file or directory
ls: не могу да приступим „'површ'“: No such file or directory

ls 'Радна површ'  # this works
darry19662018 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:22 pm

Congrats to the new moderators and thank you to Rockedge for getting the new forum going and for the resurrection of the Murga Forum.

^^ Congrats from me too. :D

Grey

Post by Grey »

Thanks for the clarifications :thumbup2:

misko_2083 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:31 pm

This is one of the reasons why agents do not install language packs in Fossapup and leave everything in English (except games) :) English-Russian is switched with gxkb.

And here is the launch of Plants Vs Zombies using \ before spaces and brackets :) :

#!/bin/sh
CURRENT_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}"/Растения\ против\ Зомби/wineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Растения\ против\ Зомби/
WINEPREFIX="${CURRENT_DIR}"/Растения\ против\ Зомби/wineprefix wine game.exe

Accordingly, in your case:

ls Радна\ површ

misko_2083

Post by misko_2083 »

Grey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:59 pm

Thanks for the clarifications :thumbup2:

misko_2083 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:31 pm

This is one of the reasons why agents do not install language packs in Fossapup and leave everything in English (except games) :) English-Russian is switched with gxkb.

And here is the launch of Plants Vs Zombies using \ before spaces and brackets :) :

#!/bin/sh
CURRENT_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}"/Растения\ против\ Зомби/wineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Растения\ против\ Зомби/
WINEPREFIX="${CURRENT_DIR}"/Растения\ против\ Зомби/wineprefix wine game.exe

Accordingly, in your case:

ls Радна\ површ

Растения? растенија, растенија... what a weird way of writing растиње :lol:
In English it would be sprouting literaly growinery. Because plants grow.
"Биљке против зомбија" is our translation. "Растиње, зеленило, зелениш, вегетација против зомбија" are all fine.
Weird, I think we already had this conversation about zombies before, as the French say: "Дежа ви".

Feeling a little better today.
Got two shots of vaccines and still got the bad virus attack.
Did not expect that to happen. :shock:

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

In the first UK lockdown I worked as a security guard at The Royal Marsden Hospital for cancer research and treatment! Our job was to vet all arrivals, mostly out-patients with cancer, or visitors for the hospitalized, but also temporary wards had been set up/allocated for suspected/confirmed covids! All this to offer a line of protection to the receptionists and ambulance service staffers! They had screens and strictly observed distancing. But at the entrance area we three 'guards' were forbidden any PPE! I was drafted in because the other guards lacked sensitivity and consideration in their communications with attendees ... (there were at least 5 threats directly or indirectly targetted at the guard I worked with ... deservedly so!). My point is having covids stand face to face with me, they coughing and spluttering or even throwing up! and I alone administered to them while waiting for the suitably clad nurses to arrive. Even so I didn't contract covid, or if I did I was asymptomatic. Therefore I want a negative antibody test prior to accepting a vaccine injection. Otherwise I don't see the point in taking the vaccine!

Actually I suspect that I probably already had sars in China, but I managed to diagnose myself using online MD, with pneumonia, which cleared up in three days after self administering amoxicillin. That was a near death experience, continuously coughing up puss day and night for a week!! Therefore I feel I must already be protected with sufficient antibodies.

Grey

Post by Grey »

I understand that now there are more moderators. But why 4 times :) ? Is this a template for the future?

moders.png
moders.png (44.68 KiB) Viewed 707 times

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Grey I had to purge the site's cache. Fixed it I think.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

misko_2083 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:55 am

Брз опоравак !
Which vaccines and when? Serbia was ahead of many other countries. Maybe it's already time for a booster?

misko_2083

Post by misko_2083 »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:36 am
misko_2083 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:55 am

Брз опоравак !
Which vaccines and when? ... Maybe it's already time for a booster?

The Chinese ones last year.
Maybe it is. The third dose from other manufacturer has started to be delivered but only on call for now.

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:36 am

Serbia was ahead of many other countries.

Well someone had to be a lab rat. :roll:

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Grey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:34 pm

Haven't seen much from taeRSH for a while. The whole forum has become prone to distraction instead of Puppy development. Thanks Grey.

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”