Parameter ( -F ) prevents it from starting like this

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

geo_c

Re: KLV-Airedale-beta21 with Kernel 6.0.0-KLV SMP PREEMT DYNAMIC

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:36 pm
geo_c wrote:

So I'm wondering if /root/my-applications is not in the path ... ...

It's /root/my-applications/bin that is in $PATH, so if you put the script there it would run if you type in terminal mymuttscript

About why not launching from Thunar, not sure, it may have to do that for your script it is required somehow to run from terminal.

Aw man, you're right. What am I thinking!?! That's where I have all my scripts located in my other pups. KLV through me off balance I guess :?

YES, that solves the starting the script from any directory in a terminal. Let me check back with Thunar.

And yet, I always thought you could run a command from the terminal if you're located in the same directory as that executable. That has not been working.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

And yet, I always thought you could run a command from the terminal if you're located in the same directory as that executable

You can, but needs to prepend with ./ like this: ./mymuttscript without the ./ it needs to be in PATH (if not you get "command not found")

Btw, a good test if the fix for running a script by clicking works is to click on e.g. pfind in /usr/local/bin

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:39 pm

Parameter ( -F ) prevents it from starting like this

You've got me curious. The -F option is a neomutt parameter. What's it doing that prevents it from opening?

I've solved my terminal launching now thanks to Fred's attention to my oblivousness. But Thunar still isn't going. I used your config command again just to make sure that it was run correctly before proceeding.

so -F, is something in the script that prevents clicking it to open?

Last edited by geo_c on Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:00 pm

And yet, I always thought you could run a command from the terminal if you're located in the same directory as that executable

You can, but needs to prepend with ./ like this: ./mymuttscript without the ./ it needs to be in PATH (if not you get "command not found")

Btw, a good test if the fix for running a script by clicking works is to click on e.g. pfind in /usr/local/bin

Ah, yes, I was beginning to figure that out when I started compiling applications, which is a miracle I got so many working, now that it's so obvious to see how clueless I am.

And PFIND does in fact work by clicking in Thunar. So I guess the problem is with my particular script, maybe the -F option.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:05 pm

I think to run it with a mouse click you need to write the command like this

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

defaultterminal -e  neomutt -F /etc/neomuttrc

wiak

Post by wiak »

Been building a firstrib Arch64 using new build_firstrib_rootfs script. That is going fine using official Arch kernel/modules/firmware. However, decided to try it with KLV kernel/modules/firmware and all seemed fine including audio playback, but then I tried precord and Mic wasn't being detected. Issue seems to be that I need modules for kernel -> audio -> soc ->sof and KLV seems to have these missing. I think they are important nowadays because of:

https://www.sofproject.org/
https://thesofproject.github.io/latest/index.html

Anyway, I tried instead Vupup 22.04.61 kernel/modules/firmware (uses kernel 5.15.56-jammy64) and that worked fine for both my audio out and mic recording (can't remember now if I also needed to install sof-firmware).

So now, dmesg gives the following and all working:

Code: Select all

[root@archlinux ~]# dmesg | grep snd
[    4.541142] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
[    4.541167] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: Digital mics found on Skylake+ platform, using SOF driver
[    5.048734] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0: autoconfig for ALC236: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
[    5.048736] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    5.048737] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    hp_outs=1 (0x21/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    5.048738] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    mono: mono_out=0x0
[    5.048738] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    inputs:
[    5.048739] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:      Mic=0x19
[    5.096012] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0: ASoC: sink widget AIF1TX overwritten
[    5.096015] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0: ASoC: source widget AIF1RX overwritten

Maybe others having audio recording issues for similar reasons in KLV?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak Good catch! I will look at this today. I am right now building 6.0.1-KLV kernels trying out some configurations. The 01firmware-xxx.sfs is being created by me manually because the kernel-kit and the ca-certificate mismatch which I can not seem to update correctly in Fossapup64 is breaking and crashing the build script. The build will finish when firmware options are set to NO.

I think If I can get a clean run on some system (maybe DebianDog) of the kernel-kit and I can build the firmware SFS smoothly these missing drivers will be included.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@rockedge Maybe you'll find the Debian-based kernels in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... kernel.yml useful for KLV.

It's a bi-weekly job that rebuilds the Debian stable, testing and sid kernel from the Debian kernel sources but with Puppy .config customization on top (things like CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=y, https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... iffconfigs). These kernels include a very generous selection of drivers (basically, same as Debian's) and matching firmware, including SOF.

Currently, testing and sid have 5.19.11, but 6.0.x is on its way to sid, and this build job will automatically switch to 6.0.x with Debian's configuration changes compared to 5.19.x minus Puppy's small list of overrides.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dimkr That is a good idea. The Debian kernels I have tried do work well. I have been making the kernels PREEMPT low-latency and DYNAMIC but probably not really necessary most of the time

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:34 pm

@dimkr That is a good idea. The Debian kernels I have tried do work well. I have been making the kernels PREEMPT low-latency and DYNAMIC but probably not really necessary most of the time

I tested Debian kernel with KLV sometime ago already, but was not sure if there's any interest.

Anyway, now made a setup for testing on KLV, kernel-debian-5.19.0-2.tar.gz (works well for me):
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/r ... 0-2.tar.gz
(contents are: 00modules-5.19.0-2.sfs initrd.gz vmlinuz)
The initrd.gz included I created with the script cr-initrd (to make shrinked initrd, I earlier shared it in one of the KLV or WDL threads, can't find where atm) but a bit modified.
EDIT: the initrd.gz is around 24MB (gzip compressed), using xz compression will make it probably around 14MB)
Made this from inside running Debiandog, now I cannot explain exactly how (trial and error), but if you're interested I can make small how-to to create from Debian package download (linux-image-....).

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (27.65 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:46 pm

The initrd.gz included I created with the script cr-initrd (to make shrinked initrd, I earlier shared it in one of the KLV or WDL threads, can't find where atm) but a bit modified.
EDIT: the initrd.gz is around 24MB (gzip compressed), using xz compression will make it probably around 14MB)
Made this from inside running Debiandog, now I cannot explain exactly how (trial and error), but if you're interested I can make small how-to to create from Debian package download (linux-image-....).

Definitely also worth documenting how to make a suitable system starting from official Debian package-download. I imagine similar could be done for official Void Linux kernel.
I remember that cr-initrd and method but forget where the post is.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

here is the one I use on occasion :
cr-initrd

And some info on mk-initrd -> viewtopic.php?p=13592#p13592

Attachments
mk-initrd.fake.gz
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
cr-initrd.fake.gz
(7.55 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:22 am

IHere is a wallpaper and desktop look I am working with on before trying a tray xfce4 plugin ->
Screenshot(1).jpg

It seems I found a higher resolution similar version of your original image. This one is wide enough to cut a few different dimensions. My thoughts with this first draft is that your resolution will work with the wide version if centered on the screen, as I have your image sitting on the bottom layer in gimp so I can see the outline of it, and it crops rather perfectly.

And the 800x600ish version I decided to export (I didn't actually check, but I think that's what resolution it is)

note: I look at a photo like this, and my first thought is, "Where are all the satellites and space junk?"

And here's the desktop:

geo_c

wiak

Post by wiak »

geo_c wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:45 am

And here's the desktop:

That's really nice. I like the way the 'space' is used for the right hand menu pop-up and the earth gives a nice image to look at immediately on boot with the moon detail far out in the background adding that little bit of extra oomph.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

wiak wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:39 am

That's really nice. I like the way the 'space' is used for the right hand menu pop-up and the earth gives a nice image to look at immediately on boot with the moon detail far out in the background adding that little bit of extra oomph.

Xfce is smart.

I was thinking that a black boot screen might be problematic for bright themes with black text and icons, but Xfce automatically detects the background and switches the text color. Still, a black icon won't show up so well.

I could do a remix with altered "space" colors to have some options.

I have 54 gtk3/4 themes sitting on the home drive outside the KLV directory that are symlinked to /root/.themes, and they all work well. It's a mix of light/dark themes, with a couple windows/mac knockoffs, along with 24 addtional sets of icons (also with windows and mac knockoffs), which are not symlinked, but sitting inside /root/.icons. I haven't tried symlinking them, but they might work.

I could probably put together a KLV-themePack with a script to symlink the themes and icons from where ever the user unzips the pack and runs the script.

geo_c

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

geo_c wrote:

I could probably put together a KLV-themePack with a script to symlink the themes and icons from where ever the user unzips the pack and runs the script.

That'll be nice, yes, please share!

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I'm continuing my theming discussion here so as not to gum up the current techinical discussions on the latest KLV beta version.

I seemed to notice that Xfce likes to install themes from tar and compressed files. My concern is understanding which things are installed in terms of configs and such, as I remember a warning message or two about certain icon sets not having their caches set (even though I used the install function to install them properly.) So icons, being mapped through Xfce probably need to be installed.

EDIT:: symlinking icons /root/.icons appears to work just fine. Several icon sets that I installed using the installer do have exclamation points next to them saying I need to set the icon cache.

I could try simply copying and symlink icon sets in KLV, but I'm wondering if actually installing first, moving the icon folders to another location and then symlinking back to their original location might be a smarter way to insure that all the necessary components are present.

The gtk themes seem to be fine with symlinking and not using the "add" function in applications>settings>appearance>style

I'll do an experiment or two, but if anyone knows more about icons, feel free to give me a hint.

Another route, as opposed to symlinking the Theme pack, could be to create an sfs module which could be loaded at boot, or on the fly, whichever is preferable.

~geo

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

wiak wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:39 am

with the moon detail far out in the background adding that little bit of extra oomph.

So looking at that moon, it appears to me that the sun is shining on the opposite side of the earth, and not the one facing us, which is quite lit up. This must be a composite image.

geo_c

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

That is the Death Star not the moon :shock: :lol:

death-star-17.jpg
death-star-17.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 948 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Wide screen with text moved to the right:

geo_c

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@geo_c In case you don't know, there's the command gtk-update-icon-cache for to create or update icon cache, the icon set needs to have a "index.theme" though.
So e.g. for to update all in /usr/share/icons : gtk-update-icon-cache --force /usr/share/icons/*
Or: e.g. gtk-update-icon-cache --force /root/.icons/<iconset>
EDIT: On second thought, I think these cache files may not really be useful, except maybe to get a quicker respons for icons to show :?:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Rat with transparent background, can be used anywhere
does not spoil the appearance of the image

Attachments
Снимок экрана.jpg
Снимок экрана.jpg (16.71 KiB) Viewed 900 times
1klv.gif
1klv.gif (48.15 KiB) Viewed 900 times

williams2

Post by williams2 »

Rat with transparent background,

To be fair, I think that is a picture of a blind mouse wearing dark glasses and carrying a white cane.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Yes, not a rat, but a 'cool' mouse :D
EDIT: yes, could be that he/she is blind, but still cool IMO ;)
And the blind can 'see' more than you'd think.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Just noticing that the firewall seems to always come up disabled on boot. Is there a way to autostart it?

geo_c

williams2

Post by williams2 »

firewall seems to always come up disabled on boot. Is there a way to autostart it?

You can run the script to setup the iptables firewall rules
then when it is the way you like,
you can run iptables-save

Then you can put this command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
to restore the firewall every time Puppy boots:

iptables-restore

You can see the iptables rules by typing: iptables -L

Or their is probably a gui program in the menu somewhere
to configure the firewall.

And there are equivalent ipv6 programs.

The iptables commands should work in most Linux OS

Post Script: 3 blind mice from the Doctor No movie
https://www.yewtu.be/embed/5BAXBPHBHsE

Last edited by williams2 on Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

It would be added as a service most likely. A symlink to /var/service, for the exact command I will have to look at my system

are you running gufw the GUI for the firewall? There might be a enable at boot option checkbox

williams2

Post by williams2 »

It would be added as a service most likely.

If you are referring to iptables-restore
it's not a daemon, it just runs for a few milliseconds and exits.

Puppy has /etc/init.d/ and /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc1.d and /etc/rc2.d etc etc
for scripts to start services.

If KLV uses systemd that would be more complicated.

wiak

Post by wiak »

williams2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:40 am

It would be added as a service most likely.

If you are referring to iptables-restore
it's not a daemon, it just runs for a few milliseconds and exits.

Puppy has /etc/init.d/ and /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc1.d and /etc/rc2.d etc etc
for scripts to start services.

If KLV uses systemd that would be more complicated.

Actually, systemd specifically provides a one-shot service type just for this type of event really:

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/systemd-oneshot-service
https://trstringer.com/simple-vs-onesho ... d-service/

Unfortunately, it seems runit (as used by Void Linux and thus KLV-Airedale) does not (unless support for that has been added since the following):

https://github.com/void-linux/void-runit/issues/23

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “KLV-Airedale”