KLV-Airedale-beta20.4 is Available.

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLV-Airedale-beta20.4 is Available.

Post by rockedge »

@wiak the extra gtkdialog was one I had compiled against gtk2 for some puppy Linux utilities GUI's to work. And I left it in. We could look into removing anything extra. I got to the point stuff was working and I moved forward leaving some dangling ends. Same with filemnt, which we should look at to see what is just there and which one is actually doing things.

There might be multipule instances of both gtkdialog and filemnt that needs investigation. Save a couple bytes.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@rockedge I did some digging and found that the file '/root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml' after boot has changed (compared to orignal), it (xfce ?) adds a section "monitoreDP1" on my laptop, what I did was change wallpaper to KLV-erie_dusk.jpg in that section, re-squashed the rootfs sfs with that changed file included and after boot (without save) it shows the correct wallpaper, so for me it's a solution but cannot be sure if it works for everyone.
(btw, changed only for workspace0, perhaps a good idea to modify all 4 workspaces to show KLV-erie_dusk.jpg)
Attached xfce4-desktop.xml, remove fake .gz

xfce4-desktop.xml.gz
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:17 pm

@wiak the extra gtkdialog was one I had compiled against gtk2 for some puppy Linux utilities GUI's to work. And I left it in. We could look into removing anything extra. I got to the point stuff was working and I moved forward leaving some dangling ends. Same with filemnt, which we should look at to see what is just there and which one is actually doing things.

There might be multipule instances of both gtkdialog and filemnt that needs investigation. Save a couple bytes.

I think I modified the filemnt in 10gtkdialog sfs so that it used gxmessage so I could use it more universally in other distros, but I'm not sure if I left any features out (don't think I did, but you never know...).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 This looks like a good fix to the wallpaper mystery! Thanks Fred, your help is hugely appreciated.

I will test out this modification across all 4 virtual desktops.

Last night on the side I compiled a KLV kernel 6.0.0 which I plan on trying out today. It is in theory the same configuration as 5.16.14-KLV and has no AUFS.

I am making the firmware module fresh and while working with that realized the firmware tarball is 360 MiB or so large! The 5.16.14-KLV version is like 35 MiB but I am missing MATOX graphic drivers in that one which causes me grief with the xfce4-screensaver freezing the desktop making me drop to console, kill the screensaver from the command line then do a startx to get it going again.

fredx181, back in the day, was there not a script that really stripped down the firmware collection?

@wiak that zdrv_convert.sh script from FirstRib early days once again has a place and came in handy to do the /lib to /usr/lib switch on some of the latest ozsouth and peebee Puppy huge kernels so I can quickly swap them in and out of KLV-Airedale. Which works really well actually.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote:

fredx181, back in the day, was there not a script that really stripped down the firmware collection?

Not that I know of, there was a script to create small initrd.gz, perhaps you're confused with that.

backi

Post by backi »

@rockedge wrote:

back in the day, was there not a script that really stripped down the firmware collection?

Maybe Zdrv-cutter ?
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=51552

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=84335

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 I remember the initrd shrink script, but @backi put me on the right track with
Remove unneeded modules and firmware - Zdrv_Cutter which might just do the trick.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

wiak wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:25 am

By the way, the 'modprobe' can't fine message you see on boot is irrelevant and effects nothing.

It's never bothered me, but I thought it might be smart to report the messages, so along with that one I also get:

Code: Select all

sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/kernel/kexec_load_disabled: No such file or directory
sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope: No such file or directory

and the previously mentioned 5.16.14-KLV does not exist message

also xorg gives this message while booting:

Code: Select all

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

which never bothered me either, but you guys would know better.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wiak

Post by wiak »

There are always boot messages that are warnings or specific temporary or not important errors. Or so it seems to me. So I just ignore them unless associated with a failed boot or something turns out not to be working after boot in which case we look for related debug messages. I wouldn't have a clue what half the boot messages churned out are to do with otherwise.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have ready for download and testing KLV-Airedale-beta21.

This has a new kernel 6.0.0-KLV built with the Puppy Linux kernel-kit with built in Overlayfs support and no AUFS.
Low latency and virtualzation support. NTFS support built in.

So far tested on a 2008 DELL laptop and a QEMU virtual machine hosted by a Fossapup64 with a real time kernel

geo_c wrote:

....and the previously mentioned 5.16.14-KLV does not exist message

This one is of interest. Does it seem to missing kernel modules or firmware during or after booting?

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:12 am
geo_c wrote:

This one is of interest. Does it seem to missing kernel modules or firmware during or after booting?

No, that one is nothing. It is the one I mentioned above. Just the init script can't find the module for overlayfs in that /usr/lib/modules/5.16.14-KLV directory because there isn't one in this huge kernel case since you have build overlay driver into the kernel itself. The attempt to load overlay module is just for Puppy huge kernels that don't include overlay in kernel.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak That's right! I remember now how that flow works. That's how the ozsouth and peebee huge kernel's work and are easy to swap in.

Kernel 6.0.0 and KLV are very fast together.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:12 am
geo_c wrote:

Not that I can tell. It seems like all my hardware works great and the OS is fully functioning. No errors or crashes or buggy hardware issues during normal usage. That message goes by really quick. I realized if I log out to the Void Login prompt after full boot, I can see the last messages in the boot sequence, but that one is off the screen. I'll have to take a look at the pause method @wiak provided to really examine it.

I'll boot it back up right now. What I have in my system folder is 00modules-5.16.14-KLV-b19.sfs and 01firmware-5.16.14-KLV.sfs

EDIT: Okay what it says is: modprobe: can't find directory 5.16.14-KLV

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wiak

Post by wiak »

geo_c wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:24 pm

EDIT: Okay what it says is: modprobe: can't find directory 5.16.14-KLV

Don't worry about that one geo_c. It is irrelevant as I reminded rockedge in post above.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “KLV-Airedale”