Murga-Linux - "Under maintenance" (11th Jul 2020) - Signs of life.....or the beginning of "the end"?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

p310don

Re: Murga-Linux - "Under maintenance" (11th Jul 2020) - Signs of life.....or the beginning of "the end"?

Post by p310don »

I have spoken to John's friend who has confirmed that "our" John has passed on 22 May. He died of a heart attack in his sleep. He has left his wife, daughter and twins (born 10 days after his passing.

It is a terrible tragedy that has saddened me, and I'm sure most of the Puppy community.

This friend did inform me that there are plans from his wife to gain power of attorney over John's estate, including his online presence. From there, there is the possibility of keeping the murga forum up and running in honor of John, and to continue John's support of Puppy.
wiak

Re: Murga-Linux - "Under maintenance" (11th Jul 2020) - Signs of life.....or the beginning of "the end"?

Post by wiak »

His friends and family should be left alone to grieve. Puppy Linux is not important.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

one

Post by one »

I am so sorry to hear of this unexpected loss. My deepest sympathies to his family.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, everyone.
p310don wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:19 am I have spoken to John's friend who has confirmed that "our" John has passed on 22 May. He died of a heart attack in his sleep. He has left his wife, daughter and twins (born 10 days after his passing.)

It is a terrible tragedy that has saddened me, and I'm sure most of the Puppy community.
Thank you for the confirmation, Don. It helps to know for certain.

My own father passed in exactly the same fashion, nearly 29 years ago this coming October. Having attended the funerals of far too many family members in recent years, I can whole-heartedly identify with the sense of loss & bewilderment John's family must be facing.

I'm sure I speak for the whole Puppy community when I say the sense of loss will not pass quickly.
wiak wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:09 am His friends and family and should be left alone to grieve. Puppy Linux is not important.
I concur. The grieving process is not a fast one, and there are various stages to go through before finally achieving a sense of "closure", and fully accepting what has happened. Please, everyone, give the family as long as it takes to complete this process in their own time.
p310don wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:19 amThis friend did inform me that there are plans from his wife to gain power of attorney over John's estate, including his online presence. From there, there is the possibility of keeping the murga forum up and running in honor of John, and to continue John's support of Puppy.
This is, of course, great news.....yet do please remember that the legal system moves at its own pace, seemingly slowest of all at a time of tragedy like this. We are not "paupers"; we have here a modern, fully-functioning forum; we have a vibrant community; the important "stuff" is archived, and.....we have each other.

Please, everyone, be patient.....and in the fullness of time, I'm certain we'll do our very best to make this new forum a fitting tribute to the man who, by his own actions, enabled this community to come together in the first place. :thumbup2:

Mike. ;)
Last edited by mikewalsh on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

666philb

Post by 666philb »

This is very sad to hear. John by hosting the forum contributed to every puppy released there.
My sympathies to his family.
Mike

Post by Mike »

A famous, gentle and hopefully appropriate musical tribute Beautiful Dreamer
Puppyluvr

Post by Puppyluvr »

:) Hello,
After 12 years its time to move to a new Forum... I'm still Puppyluvr...
If we do not yet, we need a page with links to the various archives and repo's. Puppy has lost so much, be we will carry on...
Thank you for having a place for us to go!!!
jamesc

Post by jamesc »

Wish it was under better circumstances but I'm here too.

RIP JohnMurga.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

hi all

i assume that now that this forum is on distrowatch it is the official forum

i assume that it is provided by rockedge

if this is true

thank you rockedge for providing this for us

and if rockedge could use some bucks to keep things running
i would like to contribute

wanderer
TiredPup

Post by TiredPup »

Barry Kauler posted in the news section of his blog regarding the passing of John Murga this morning. He wrote the following:
We are very sad about this. John did die peacefully in his sleep, from heart failure. It was a known condition, "ongoing ischemic heart disease".
I have requested from the people who have John's computers and power-of-attorney, if they can find the login details, so that we can try to resurrect the forum. We do not want to lose 15 years of posts!
I have let them know, that from our point of view, he was a rock. He maintained the forum for all those years. Back in 2005 when he offered to host the forum, I asked if he was prepared to look after it for the "long haul" and he said yes -- and has been true to his word.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I was saddened to learn of John Murga's passing. His contribution to Puppy Linux --and the lives of all of us-- is immeasurable. As others have said, we should allow his family to grieve. Now is not the time to bother them with our mundane concerns. But, if it is possible to figure out a way to do so, we --the community he serve for so long and so selflessly-- should write to them acknowledging that debt of gratitude. Doing so may be of little moment now. But I understand he is survived by young children. In latter life it may be of benefit to them to know that their father's life and contributions made a difference to the lives of hundreds of thousand throughout our 'Global Village'.

As for us, we will press on. Like Mike Walsh I am a bit of a hoarder, though not so much. Maybe 40 Gbs of various pets and stuff; organized but to transmitted in a manner more in keeping with whatever structure this Forum chooses. Or having other reasons to, maybe acquire some space on Hostinger.

And does anyone know how to reach pupusdogfellow? Probably a link to his repo would be an easy way to recover "30 Gigs of Stuff" --if I've accurately recalled its slogan.
keniv

Post by keniv »

I would just like to echo the sadness felt here at John Murga's passing. Although I did not know him I feel I owe him a great debt. I made a great deal of use of the forum he hosted. My condolences to his family.

Regards,

Ken.
Puppyt

Post by Puppyt »

I found out 5 minutes ago of John Murga's passing, and I want to voice my gratitude to his hospitality and foresight in offering his resources to the Puppy Linux Community. My thoughts and well-wishes to the Murga family in this dreadful time.

As I have been away intermittently, I assumed the outage was related to recent posts regarding rockedge's efforts to mirror the Murga forum in case of such disastrous events. (Hey - big thanks rockedge :) ) Another "quiet giant" on the forums has moved on. Vale, John Murga - never met, yet never to be forgotten.
redquine

Updating links to the original forum

Post by redquine »

Like everyone else here, I was shocked and saddened to hear of John de Murga's passing. His generosity and stewardship brought together a Puppy community from all over the world, saving countless "obsolete" computers in the process.

Thanks always to John for creating and maintaining the original forum, and to Rockedge for creating the new one. I'm delighted to see so many of us here already, and hopefully many more will arrive once they realise what's happened. On that note: I see that http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage has already been updated, but there are still links to John's forum on the http://puppylinux.com/ index page (in the Questions section, and the speech bubble icon at the top of the screen). Could someone kindly edit those, please?
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Also wish to mention I contacted distrowatch and they have linked to the new forum.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

darry19662018 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:41 am Also wish to mention I contacted distrowatch and they have linked to the new forum.
Nice one, Darren. Cheers! :thumbup2:

Mike. ;)

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

No Problem Mike :D
courtage

Post by courtage »

I've been trying to get to the Murga forum for a couple of days, and only when I checked on Twitter to see if anyone knew anything did I find a link to Mike's post at BleepingComputer.

I don't generally get taken aback at internet stuff, but the terribly sad news of John Murga's death & the demise of the Puppy forum has really shocked me.

I signed up to that forum in 2006 - my username was paulh177 there - and though I haven't been very active for the past few years, I've used no other distro except Puppy for 14 years.

John's forum was always my first port of call for support, and now I feel adrift.

I wish I could pass condolences to John's family, if any.
fabrice35

Post by fabrice35 »

My condolences to his wife and children. Thank you, Mr. Murga.
The Internet is a very volatile tool, I am old enough to have experienced the disappearance of many forums and incredible wealth disappearing overnight. Let's continue the work and it's so strange that this forum was born just before this tragic event, isn't it?
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

courtage wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am I've been trying to get to the Murga forum for a couple of days, and only when I checked on Twitter to see if anyone knew anything did I find a link to Mike's post at BleepingComputer.
I'm glad it's already proved useful, Paul.

I've been posting links all over the place on the various fora I belong to.....making absolutely sure that anyone with any shred of interest in Puppy knows where to come. Looks like it's working; nice to see you've found your way here.

I know only a handful of us were interested enough in the early days of tthis forum to actually register, and post at all; of course, there's no way of knowing how many were simply 'lurking', so it's anybody's guess as to the proportion of regulars that straightaway "made the connection" and knew where to head.....

Welcome back! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Argolance

Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Ouch, how sad to hear about John's passing.
It's the end of a great adventure, but also the beginning of another, no doubt.
Thank you John, we're all going to miss you.

Cordialement.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Glad ya made it, Argolance! Nice to see you here.... :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

RIP John Murga. Sad, sad news. I just came to realize the last days what this man's 'legacy' is.

New forum works for me and I'll stick around.

Regards, bullpup. :thumbup2:

"Get a pup", they said. "It'll be fun", they said. They where right!
(Various Pups with save folder in QEMU/KVM)

tosim

Post by tosim »

So sorry to read of his passing. My sincere condolences to his family.
foxpup

Post by foxpup »

I heard about John's passing on the chat.
This is so sad.
I offer my sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

John and his 'murga forum' meant a lot to a lot of us.
We will miss it for a long time.

Rest in Peace, John.
peebee

Post by peebee »

https://bkhome.org/news/202007/murga-fo ... chive.html

July 25, 2020 — BarryK said:
As Puppy users will know, the Murga Forum is down. I am still waiting on feedback from the site host for murga-linux.com, requesting login access.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Murga-linux site is now down

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/murga-linux.com.html

Is this a sign of something new?
Flash

Post by Flash »

No, it's not down; you can't log in. It's read-only and the Truly Off-Topic section is not visible.
Chaos coordinator :?
TiredPup

Post by TiredPup »

No, it's not down; you can't log in. It's read-only and the Truly Off-Topic section is not visible.
Actually, you can login and someone is still posting even though it is clearly stated on the index page not to login and not to make any new posts.
taersh

Post by taersh »

Looks like there's some members who can not read or at least who don't understand what they have been actually reading. :lol:

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

Return to “Users”