Wayland & Global Hotkeys

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Wayland & Global Hotkeys

Post by Clarity »

Clarity

Re: Wayland & HDMI

Post by Clarity »

As forum distro march ever-forward into the technologies showing up in our homes, in PC peripherals, and PC operating systems keeping up, there is an area that "I believe" exist in MS *& Apple. The ability to split a large screen into multiple active desktops. But I've got to believe this technology is available in Linux as I'm seeing it everywhere I go, today.

"THEY" are taking TV size screens and spiting them into dual or quad separate desktop feeds.

So imagine that your normal forum distro is setup with 4 virtual desktops accessible via the taskbar. Then imagine some technology exist that would make ALL 4 VIRTUALS active together on the screen instead at the same time instead of how we use them today.

Question
Anyone know if there is Linux technology to take the 4 desktop and put them on-screen at the same time?

REASON: I had an old DVI monitor die, recently after 10 years of use. I got a TV refurb at a RIDICULOUS price...$125(ca). It is 3840x2180 resolution clear as a belle. There is so much real-estate you cant imagine what you would/could do with such. And, cost-wise this will be the future for many forum users as old stuff dies.

So I am now curious if I can split or dual the screen into separate virtual desktops or separate feeds for screen area. With so much area, I do not need multiple screens...especially if Linux allows this ability.

IDEAs anyone?

wiak

Re: Wayland & Global Hotkeys

Post by wiak »

It probably isn't what you want, but if it was me I'd be using a tiling window manager exactly for splitting up screen. Great thing about these most (certainly i3 for X, and sway for Wayland) allow individual windows to float and be moved about, or put in a tabbed arrangement (like a browser) as well as intricate control of tiling arrangements, which I'm finding to be much more efficient now that I get the idea than traditional stackable floating window arrangements. They also use less resources and work well both with mouse control and keyboard control (without needing mouse at all if you want).

Even with XFCE I arranged simple tiling ability, but nothing like as sophisticated as actual tiling wm or tiling compositors can provide (and they also cater for multiple monitors often so best of all words). Pity people have been so trained to use Windows 95 style desktop managers really - it becomes a habit and familiar, but not the most efficient or best to use really I tend to feel now.

Imagine running ten Qemu virtual machines under a tiling manager... makes me think of a Zoom session! and you can just focus on any tile and toggle it to fullscreen anytime.

I always did prefer networked (all-accessible) machines than just using a standalone. Done well the effect is that your little thin-client desktop feels like it is all these networked machines all at once - that's how UNIX labs always felt; we tended to run different programs on different machines and the way it all worked together made it all feel right in front of you (yet some machines were in different countries and inter-connected via VSAT satellite links...); that was 30 years ago... yet people here rave on about simple frugal installable distros as if it is the pinnacle of modern technology... sigh...

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

the tiling window managers are really preferable once dependency on a stacking WM is overcome. Like KLV-Spectr, which is several hundred megabytes less in size than it's XFCE4 counterparts and is very light, fast and responsive. Though I reall like the more advance tiling WM's like Bspwm and Awesome that are hybrid WM's being a tiling WM and can float windows.

Maybe KLV-Spectr can get some more polish, I tend to like it because it's configuration file is text based. Awesome is lua code to really configure it.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:50 am

that are hybrid WM's being a tiling WM and can float windows.

Sway can do this too. To be frank, when I first tried Sway I thought it was near unusable, but it is actually great.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Distrowatch has provided an excellent short read for "What Wayland IS!".

I think many will find this read a very useful summary...no matter the user background.

Enjoy

Return to “Graphics/Video”