This is a development site!

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

This is a development site!

Post by rockedge »

Hello!
To remind everyone this is a test setup for developing the next phase of the Puppy Linux Forum.

None of the current murga forum data has been merged as of yet, so all of the login credentials are not yet present.

The goal is to upgrade the forum software to the latest most modern version and still have all the users, posts, attachments and most importantly the same functionality the murga forum offers, included in the upgraded forum.

Also the site will be https: capable and will be the default.

Thanks for the patience and involvement while tests and experimentation on how to achieve our lofty goals is being done!
mikewalsh

Re: This is a development site!

Post by mikewalsh »

@ rockedge:-

Any 'thoughts' yet as to how to import the SQL database(s)? Have you asked Flash to see if he can contact John, and explain what we're attempting to do?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

s243a

Post by s243a »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:13 am @ rockedge:-

Any 'thoughts' yet as to how to import the SQL database(s)? Have you asked Flash to see if he can contact John, and explain what we're attempting to do?

Mike. ;)
I could try writing a web scraper, but I suppose even that would would require permission.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@rockedge
So if I understand well, transferring requires permission from John Murga, so... is Flash already knowing about this, and will he be willing and able to reach J. Murga about it ?

Fred
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Hello Mike!

I will be making more of a concentrated attempt to procure the sql data we'll need to perform the upgrade. I would set up a database and file structure that contains all the attachment files from the original murga forum with that forum's data and files on the same host server as the new version. There is a script that will then do the mysql conversion and data transfer to the new blank database. The script will also place all the attachment files in the proper directories.

the original murga forum will remain untouched and I will create backups of the data I receive before running a test conversion.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Hello Fred
is Flash already knowing about this, and will he be willing and able to reach J. Murga about it ?
Yes! I have been in contact with Flash and he is attempting but no responses, perhaps BarryK can help us contact John?

I also have given Flash full administrator (founder) permissions and full access to the controls
Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Hi rockedge,
Appears my registration worked! Note that I used a very old Hotmail email, which MS acquired back
in the "90s", but still lives through all the reincarnations (HoTMaiL, MS Hotmail, MS Live, now Outlook
Live).
Those members of the Murga forum that attempt to use GMail should be in good shape, since this site
uses HTTPS, which is why gmail blocked registration from the Murga forums plain HTTP.
Something to keep in mind when you do integrate the databases, files, posts, etc., need some method
to check for duplicate member names/registrations. One of ME is probably more than enough for many
members of the Puppy community, hehe! :lol:
Good luck, and thank you!
Wiz ;)

Signature available upon request

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rockedge wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:14 pm Hello Mike!

I will be making more of a concentrated attempt to procure the sql data we'll need to perform the upgrade. I would set up a database and file structure that contains all the attachment files from the original murga forum with that forum's data and files on the same host server as the new version. There is a script that will then do the mysql conversion and data transfer to the new blank database. The script will also place all the attachment files in the proper directories.

the original murga forum will remain untouched and I will create backups of the data I receive before running a test conversion.
It's possible John might well be hard to reach. He posts but rarely; his last post was over 18 months ago.....

If the worst comes to the worst, we'll just have to go forward with the new-style Forum as is, and 'populate' it as we go. Simple as that.

Mike. ;)

wiak

Post by wiak »

Wiz57 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:11 pm Those members of the Murga forum that attempt to use GMail should be in good shape, since this site
uses HTTPS, which is why gmail blocked registration from the Murga forums plain HTTP.
Yes, though I'm using custom domain, I do use GSuite (google) for email, and registration (as well as forgotten password...) reply emails got through to me fine, which I agree is likely the result of https being supported here now.

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I see it has been 'quiet' on this forum for a while. I myself have only just done a little computing work in recent times, and that was really only because there were some issues on both gtkwialog code (comboboxtext/entry bug) and later FirstRib build rootfs scripts I had to address. And actually I'm still not back to doing much otherwise. However, winter approaches in my part of the world so I do plan to get back to more WeeDog stuff in particular. When that happens it remains my intention to move most of that to gitlab but forum-wise to here (with links from murga-forum back to this new forum). My problem is that I simply don't know much at all about phpBB, and everything takes time, which I never have enough of... Anyway, I hope to eventually try, and I'm glad to see the forum is still here and login worked fine for me again!

wiak

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

musher0

Post by musher0 »

Hello rockedge.

Thanks for this new forum.

Not sure this is the right thread for this, but is there a way to accentuate contrasts?
The forum is all in shades of blue, and I find the messages hard to separate from one another and to read.

TIA.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

It is definitely possible to change the theme. I have an alternate theme running on the forum in the DebianDog section that you can take a look at and see if it improves the readability. viewforum.php?f=22
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Ah, yes. The "ProSilver 'Special Edition'", if I'm right.....I think?

@ musher0:- Under your username, top right, go to User Control Panel → Board preferences → My board style, and choose "prosilver special edition". That's the alternative theme.

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

That is totally correct Mike. prosilver special edition is the alternate theme. There are quite a few themes that can be chosen from. So far though I am staying with the two Prosilver themes that are factory made. As the idea evolves perhaps we can add another theme if it fits.
redquine

Post by redquine »

Wiz57 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:11 pm Those members of the Murga forum that attempt to use GMail should be in good shape, since this site
I can confirm this. Signed up a few weeks ago with my Gmail account - no problem at all. :thumbup:
ndujoe1

Post by ndujoe1 »

Thanks for all of the work to get this new replacement forum up and running, much appreciated!
musher0

Post by musher0 »

:lol:

Nah. This is not a development site.

It is a site where we meditate on the zen concept
of "one ear flapping" presented by our respected
colleague mikewalsh. ;)

:lol:
smokey01

Post by smokey01 »

[mention]rockedge[/mention] it might be nice to have a darker theme as It's easier on the eyes after a long session. I'm sure [mention]CatDude[/mention] would agree.
rockedge wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:01 am That is totally correct Mike. prosilver special edition is the alternate theme. There are quite a few themes that can be chosen from. So far though I am staying with the two Prosilver themes that are factory made. As the idea evolves perhaps we can add another theme if it fits.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I will look at some themes that are available and chose 1 or 2 forums to try it out on.
ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Smokey,

How do your eyes feel about any of these?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... es/dark-17
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

ThruHammer wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 am Smokey,

How do your eyes feel about any of these?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... es/dark-17
I was looking at this lot just the other night. In all honesty, the only one I could see myself being able to live with was this one:-

"CARBON"

Dark.....but not too dark. Most of the others are, I feel, a bit OTT for my liking...

Mike. ;)

smokey01

Post by smokey01 »

@rockedge Thanks for considering some more themes. I haven't looked at all the themes @ThruHammer suggested but I found Carbon as @mikewalsh suggested a little hard on my eyes. The background is good but the red and green text is too bright, contrast wise. I found the Lucid Lime quite easy on my old eyes. I don't mind bright colours as long as they don't glare too much. I'm not sure why Carbon is not as easy on the eyes as Lucid Lime as the colours are similar, but it is. :lol:
Themes are a personal choice. As they don't take up that much space why not provide a reasonable selection.

Just remember it's your site, your $$$, your choice, no pressure.

Thanks, I'm loving the new software.

Attachments
Lucid Lime Theme
Lucid Lime Theme
Lucid-Lime.jpg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 747 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Hello [mention]smokey01[/mention]

see what you think about the theme Prosilver Dark Edition premiering here -> viewforum.php?f=52
Flash

Post by Flash »

I find it very much harder to read than the standard black characters on a white (or at least light) background.
Chaos coordinator :?
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Flash wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:44 am I find it very much harder to read than the standard black characters on a white (or at least light) background.
I agree. Hardly readable.

Unfortunately black is seldom used as text color. In Prosilver Special it's light gray on light blue background. For reasons beyond me gray text is used for light and dark themes alike. However when I click on the subject of your post, text color turns to a better readable black (see screenshot and compare to rockedge's post with its blue subject and gray text) . Would be great to have black as the default text color.
prosilver_special.png
prosilver_special.png (21.88 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Last edited by MochiMoppel on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiak

Post by wiak »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 am
Flash wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:44 am I find it very much harder to read than the standard black characters on a white (or at least light) background.
Off-topic area, I suppose I don't really care what theme used. Main site - well, dark backgrounds sometimes look interesting. But doesn't take me long before I can't stand them anymore (they hurt my eyes). I don't like screen too bright (but I can dim the computer background anyway) but I certainly find I prefer a lightish background and darkish text.

wiak

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

smokey01

Post by smokey01 »

[mention]rockedge[/mention] I find light colours on dark are better than the other way round. Light backgrounds have too much glare. As you can see everyone has their own preferences. More choices would make more people happy, or maybe not. :oops:
Prosilver Dark is not too bad. There are some light dark colours on dark backgrounds. I will use it for a while and see if it grows on me. It is easy on my eyes.
rockedge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:08 am Hello @smokey01

see what you think about the theme Prosilver Dark Edition premiering here -> viewforum.php?f=52
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

I've now tried all live demos and found PS4 Pro having one of the highest contrasts and (for me) best readability. Not really great but bearable:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... o/demo/3.2

The "Select a style" dropdown box at the top of the page gives access to all other styles.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

In the browser you are using.
See if it has something similar to what is in Pale Moon browser
preferences->Content->Fonts & colors->Colors......

Change it to what you like.
Example:
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 690 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 am
+1
Default theme (prosilver) works wonders for me.
On the other hand, backgrounds in black, dark or white are a harsh no-go for me ;)

That being said, I don't adhere to the "cancel (pseudo)culture" cr@p :roll:
On the contrary, Linux/Puppy is about having options to choose, so I clap the initiative to have at hand more forum themes... even if they've dark, black or white backgrounds or turn out loud themes causing seizures or blindness :lol:

Thanks [mention]rockedge[/mention]! :thumbup:

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

Return to “Beginners Help”