Puduan 6 and 7 - the forgotten Pups

Moderator: Forum moderators

darry19662018

Puduan 6 and 7 - the forgotten Pups

Post by darry19662018 »

One of my favourite series of which Musher did one - normal jwm desktop and wmx desktop.
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... lpha1a.iso wmx desktop
https://archive.org/download/Puduan6.0. ... sed%29.iso my version of Mushers version
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... -6.0.0.iso Musher;s Jwm version (I think)

Of course others made versions available here:
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Puduan

The later 7 series:
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... ted%29.iso
greengeek

Re: Puduan 6 and 7 - the forgotten Pups

Post by greengeek »

Hi Darry, thanks for the links.

Thought I would give some feedback about these two pups.
(My tests are on a Toshiba M700 with 2GB RAM)

I tried Puduan 6.0.0 (revised) and it is a really great pup - very very fast. To be honest it's a rocket ship compared to any other pup I have used! Also, i loved the default setup for single-click opening of directories etc. Really speeds things up.

It did have some basic issues but easily solvable and it would be a fantastic Pup with these issues sorted:

Unfortunately the default browser (icecat) is very slow to start up and is unable to display most webpages - including much of the rockedge forum (can't login etc).

But this pup also has Palemoon 26.3.3 in the internet menu and it runs better than icecat by a country mile - I wonder why this is not the default browser? However this version of Palemoon still has many problems (won't run Youtube). Unfortunately the Palemoon updater (also in internet menu) does not seem functional.

As an alternative browser I loaded a Vivaldi pet (version 1.9.818.50-i386) and it ran great. It is pretty small but has great functionality for it's size.

Three other minor issues i would mention:

1) SNS wifi utility needs to be updated with the mod for listing strongest signal first.

2) Desktop icons have black text to identify them and this is unhelpful in areas where the desktop background is dark (can't see the name of the icon). Needs "shadowed" text to make labels readable on both light and dark backgrounds. (I can't remember where this change can be made).

3) The Prtsc key on my Pups normally brings up Take-A-Shot for screen grabbing purposes but does nothing in this pup. I see screenie in the menu but it would be nice to have the prtsc button active by default.

Otherwise this is a very good pup and absolutely the fastest I have found when it comes to opening audio and video files. Very nice!

By contrast Puduan 7 did have newer features but seemed less polished. I had the following issues:

- failed to boot from the CD (had to install frugally to usb)
- did not auto detect video hardware and xorgwizard needed manual interaction during boot phase.
- had no desktop wallpaper (just black background)
- had no drive icons or the usual triangle of puppy program icons.
- did not have any internet connect utility in the menus. (ok via "Puppy setup" in the "setup" menu)
- much slower than Puduan6 at opening audio and video files.
- Same issues as Puduan6 with icecat browser failure.
- For some reason I seemed to have an invisible "Places" button at top right of the desktop - which sometimes interfered with the "close" button on maximised windows. (maybe all of the video issues indicate some problem with screen parameter detection during boot)

Maybe I got a bad download but i don't know.

Again - the Vivaldi pet ran perfectly. Posting from it now.
One good feature of Puduan7 was that my maximum system volume seemed about 25% louder than other pups. Go figure.
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Thanks for testing GG
I think that 7 version was by Sailer and the six version by Musher - I fixed a couple of things and made a few changes software wise including the added mplayer which is one of Fred's. Yes the Icecat is an older one and works better if most of the addons that the SFF add to make it free software are disabled except the add blocker built-in. What I liked about 6 was its speed - Musher also made a wmx version.
musher0

Post by musher0 »

Hi darry.

Thanks for that stroll down memory lane!

Great round-up you have done in this section! You've been busy, I see!
~~~~~~~~~~

For the record, my original version of Puduan 6 used wmx as the window manager.

If there is a jwm window manager in it, it is against my will!

All this time I spent inventing solutions to prove to the world that PuppyLinux is not a
jwm "farm club", and somebody ;) brought it back in line with the limited (IMO) Puppy
standard. :shock:

No offense intended, BTW.

A "farm club" is a pejorative expression used in Canadian and North American hockey.
A farm club is a club where junior talented players are sent by one of the official clubs
of the National Hockey League, e.g. the Montréal Canadiens, to fine-tune their skills
until they are deemed ready for the majors.

Just like 01micko's first Slacko Pup was a reaction to a comment by a distrowatch
chronicler who had written that BarryK's initial woof-constructed Pup was cloned from
Ubuntu and limited to it.

Puppy is not jwm, not Ubuntu. PuppyLinux is unique in that it is a concept and statement
about Linux openness. Even the later creations by BarryK (EasyOS, etc.) are not as
versatile as his prior PuppLinux. (Sorry for being so frank, Barry!)

For example,
-- only PuppyLinux can boot from / be installed on so many media;
-- only PuppyLinux can use different repos;
-- to my knowledge, only PuppyLinus has this type of error log (xerrs.log), which is a
great way for a developer or advanced user to catch errors fo all kinds;
-- etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~

A year and a half ago, I did a draft / prototype for Puduan 7, which I never published, due
to various difficulties I encountered, human and technical.

Technical difficulties I don't mind too much, they are part of learning.
The human difficulties, I have no wish to re-live. Or to talk about.

Inasmuch as Puduan is Debian without systemd, and PuppyLinux' use of systemd is
limited or even symbolic, I have come to think that there is now no need per se for
Puduan Pups.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Best.
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Hi Musher,

Nice to hear from you. I listed WMX version in the first link. Anyway glad to see you in the new forum. Stay safe mate and best wishes.
musher0

Post by musher0 »

Same to you, darry!
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

So do you consider these to be deadend pups musher0?

I love to try all sorts of pups because I have a lot of old hardware that i use for different people and different purposes and i generally find each bit of hardware has idiosyncrasies that highlight a specific pup as the best optiion - and not always the official pups or the well known ones.

As well as one of the Puduan 6's (which runs really well) I tried one of the Puduan 7's (which ran badly) , one other Puduan 7 (from sailor if my old label is to be believed) - which ran pretty well, and the tiny_puduan_ascii-PreAlpha8.iso from s243a which has potential as a super trim puppy base.

I am keen to keep trying these pups - but two questions:

1) Is there an easy way to get the tiny puduan's to load pets? (maybe the newer ones already do?)

2) Is there a devx for either a Puduan 6 or 7?

cheers!

ps:
...and Darry - what is the tiny_puduan_ascii_pre_alpha11rev3(darry1966).iso that comes in at 714.1M??? What is in it and is that going to fit on a CD?
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Hi GG,

Na I am afraid it won't fit on a cd - they are 700mb. As for what's on it I'll find my notes (along time since I did that one).
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

As for Devxs they are found on this pagehttps://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Puduan
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I'm probably going blind as well as senile but it's not clear to me where the devxs are on that page. Are they built in to some of the larger isos and have to be extracted?
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Devx's are not built in and are separate.
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... _6.0.0.sfs for version 6
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... _7.0.0.sfs version 7
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... .0.0a1.sfs For version 7.0.0a1 isos.

Not sure about the tiny puduans as they were built ages ago and with the forum going down I have lost my notes in the Tiny Puduan thread. S243a has disappeared.
darry19662018

dbus update Puduan 6

Post by darry19662018 »

I am attached dbus update they are from stretch which means you can run Mikes latest Iron Browser. Simply unzip and copy dbus libs from stretch folder to /usr/lib.
dbus-1.tar.gz
(663.04 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”